Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: He scores goals for fun, he can't be bad right?!

  1. #1
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4

    He scores goals for fun, he can't be bad right?!

    Watching the Spurs game vs West Ham and I can't help but wonder how in hell is Kane scoring goals? And many of them?!

    There are certain players (almost exclusively strikers) who judging from stats, their contribution to the team, even bloody managers who know a thing or two about football and most importantly the big number of goals they score, who are cherished, adored and held in very high esteem in the footballing world be it from fans or professionals of the sport yet in my mind and from what I see of them I just can not fathom what makes them so good! Logic tells me that there really isn't anything special about them.

    Kane/Icardi, Rooney, Shearer, Inzaghi, Muller, are prime examples of this (I know Kane/Icardi are in no way shape or form close to the others as of now, they are only a recent applicable samples), the latter three their goal scoring records makes it dumb of me to even question their ability and somehow I still think they are extremely average, how did they score so many freaking goals? Surely it can't be luck? It can't be that the opposition defenders just had a shit performance against them on every other day they score? Do they have nerves of steel that makes them less crackable under the immense pressure strikers endure with the responsibility of scoring at big clubs? Is it just a case of being at the right place at the right time?

    Which brings me to the only point I could think of that they excel in, positioning. That I'll give it to them, whether it's pure instinct or exceptional reading skills of the match. They do put themselves in the best possible situation to score from quite often. However, they do not possess any great shooting techniques, any skills that leave defenders bamboozled when they face them or at least pace to try and rub off defenders, neither are they specialists in set pieces. But they manage to score and score all types of goals, headers, tap ins, screamers from outside the box. Even their dominant foot (which is the right one in the examples I put forth) is not that dominant really and you could easily find many better players that could do majestic things with a ball and score from angels they could only dream of. Even in strength which is what you commonly find in non-skillful players they do not possess!

    Drogba, Adriano, Vieri, Shevchenko, Henry, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Del Piero are all players of a very much higher quality and caliber (ability wise) and you could hardly argue with that but they still manage to score as much as them or in some cases more!

    Is being jack of all trades and master of none (yet they're masters of scoring goals!) sufficient? Or does the media and the fans expectations demand - unnecessarily - more than required in the goal-scoring machine of players, I mean at the end of the day, goals, regardless of how they are scored is all that matters. Or am I just wrong and they are quite skillful in the way that scoring goals is in itself is a skill and I'm just talking out my very tight anus?

  2. Thanks (1): Devious

  3. #2
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Feb 09
    Posts
    6,478
    Thanked
    10,713 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    Kane/Icardi, Rooney, Shearer, Inzaghi, Muller, are prime examples of this (I know Kane/Icardi are in no way shape or form close to the others as of now, they are only a recent applicable samples), the latter three their goal scoring records makes it dumb of me to even question their ability and somehow I still think they are extremely average, how did they score so many freaking goals?
    That is quite an eclectic list you got there, and I think that defeats your argument to an extent. Some of these players are not just opportunistic finishers who have good positioning, they have some exceptional skills as well. Lets take some examples:

    1. Rooney - I think too much hate is directed at this poor lad. He is very talented, his intensity and shooting are up there with the best. And he can pass seriously well. I look at Rooney as someone who is gifted, but failed to achieve his full potential due to certain limitations (weak dribbling skills, lack of pace, etc) and circumstances (Man Utd using him as No 9, instead of a deeper role). However, quite the opposite to your argument, Rooney gets too few goals for the kind of effort he puts in.

    2. Inzaghi - a quality poacher, I will give you that. But more than positioning, what stood out about Inzaghi was his clever movement and good first touch. His runs broke down even the best offside traps. Infact, I still haven't seen anyone better in beating an offside trap. One trick pony, perhaps, but he was the best at what he did.

    3. Muller, really? That dude's got serious skills.

    Kane - while it is too early to judge him, I personally think he is developing into a complete CF. He has a bit of everything, good movement, good shot, good physique, good on the ball, good holding skills, etc... if he keeps developing like this, he could end up becoming one of the top strikers around. Maybe even better than Shearer, who was a typical CF - good strength, work rate and great at holding up the ball.

    That is not to say that you main point is not valid... there are "poachers" who basically position themselves very cleverly and got the tap ins - nothing wrong in that - but I think you did not use the best examples. Crouch would be a classic example. To some extent you can argue that Bony or even Icardi are good examples. But I think the days of the typical poacher are numbered, these days managers expect more involvement from their strikers.

  4. Thanks (1): TGDella

  5. #3
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    1. Rooney - I think too much hate is directed at this poor lad. He is very talented, his intensity and shooting are up there with the best. And he can pass seriously well. I look at Rooney as someone who is gifted, but failed to achieve his full potential due to certain limitations (weak dribbling skills, lack of pace, etc) and circumstances (Man Utd using him as No 9, instead of a deeper role). However, quite the opposite to your argument, Rooney gets too few goals for the kind of effort he puts in.
    Lol for whatever reason I could never agree with your opinions on whatever topic! (which is cool). True Rooney does get a lot of hate and I admit I could be one of them, I was never convinced by him, yes he does have talent but most footballers are like that. Question is, can they show it on a consistent basis? And for me Rooney has never done that. Ironically the limitations you mention of him are exactly why I named as an example, nothing about him stands out.
    Utd using him as No.9 is a mistake? You do realize that he is their record goal scorer? It is only in his later years (last couple) have they tried playing him deeper because he no longer has the stamina or as you mentioned pace, which by the way he did have when he was younger much like Torres and he caused havoc to defenders with it, he was like I said though very inconsistent. I blame the English media for hyping him up and the fact that he earns crazy ridiculous salary (300k pound a week or something?!!) and his playing does not simply warrant that. I also attribute many of his goals to the system Utd played under Fergie which emphasized wingers and that enabled him to score plenty of goals because many many chances were created for him inside the box.

    Anyway I don't want to argue with the choice of players more so than the original aim of the thread, so.

    That is not to say that you main point is not valid... there are "poachers" who basically position themselves very cleverly and got the tap ins - nothing wrong in that - but I think you did not use the best examples. Crouch would be a classic example. To some extent you can argue that Bony or even Icardi are good examples. But I think the days of the typical poacher are numbered, these days managers expect more involvement from their strikers.
    So you don't think that any of the famous players we could apply on them the same logic? Even Milito for example falls under that category in my opinion. Crouch brake dances better than he scores goals. You could find many average players of the same ilk but I meant players that really stand out. Bony is one hell of a strong player, at least he got that going for him but he too is still average tbh.

  6. #4

    Join Date
    16 Feb 13
    Posts
    3,280
    Thanked
    4,054 times
    Old name
    Jrg

    Denmark

    17 Forum Supporter
    Thomas Müller is clumsy to watch but he is so damn effective on a number of different positions. He reminds me a bit of Henry as he isn't a traditional goal poacher but rather the kind of player which by his combination of pace and the ability to make the right decisions makes him very effective. The goal poacher in Bayern München is Lewandowski and it was Klose before and now Gomez on the national team which means I don't think you are including him in the right category.

  7. Thanks (1): Bluenine

  8. #5
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Feb 09
    Posts
    6,478
    Thanked
    10,713 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    Lol for whatever reason I could never agree with your opinions on whatever topic! (which is cool). True Rooney does get a lot of hate and I admit I could be one of them, I was never convinced by him, yes he does have talent but most footballers are like that. Question is, can they show it on a consistent basis? And for me Rooney has never done that. Ironically the limitations you mention of him are exactly why I named as an example, nothing about him stands out.
    Utd using him as No.9 is a mistake? You do realize that he is their record goal scorer? It is only in his later years (last couple) have they tried playing him deeper because he no longer has the stamina or as you mentioned pace, which by the way he did have when he was younger much like Torres and he caused havoc to defenders with it, he was like I said though very inconsistent. I blame the English media for hyping him up and the fact that he earns crazy ridiculous salary (300k pound a week or something?!!) and his playing does not simply warrant that. I also attribute many of his goals to the system Utd played under Fergie which emphasized wingers and that enabled him to score plenty of goals because many many chances were created for him inside the box.
    Yeah, we usually have differing views. Not a problem, you will grow up one day

    Just kidding, mate. Re Rooney, I rate him as an exceptional player, just below the best players in the world. Of course the English media hyped him up way too much - they do that a lot, Rooney is not world class level that the media would like us to believe... and of course he is overpaid, all english players are these days (like Italians used to be in the 90s). But that does not mean he isn't a gifted player. Rooney is their record goalscorer, but No 9 was not his position - that is not his strongest position and some of his best skills were wasted that position. Rooney ideally should be played as a trequartista. His vision and passing ability was better than any other English player I have seen in the last 20 years (with the exception of Scholes). Also his strength and intensity is(was) at world class level helps energise the attacking midfield. Remember Rooney in the last season RVN was at Man Utd - he was played in the right position and he was exceptional.

    A bit like when Totti was made a CF at Roma, he scored a lot more goals but that was clearly not his best position - the way Totti bossed games a bit deeper in the late 90s to early 2000s, that was something else altogether. I think its a bit of a waste of talent if you use your trequartista as a finisher just because he has good finishing skills - you miss out on some of the thru-balls / creativity. Not saying that Rooney is anywhere close to Totti in talent (very few players that I have seen in my lifetime have been that good), but I always rated Rooney more as a no 10 than a No 9.

    Anyways, like always lets just agree to disagree.

  9. #6
    Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Mar 04
    Posts
    13,950
    Thanked
    17,832 times
    Fav. Player
    Kovacic

    Macau

    57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    I agree with Bluenine. I think your argument breaks down a little with the players you mentioned. I think Inzagi and Icardi (Maybe Shearer too, but my memory of him is fuzzy) are the only two you mentioned that excel because of their positioning skills rather than overall ability. Even then I think Icardi is far less limited than Inzagi was.

    Anyway, I guess your main point was about whether pure 'poachers' still have a place in the game. My feeling is that they do, but not at the highest level. Obviously it depends somewhat on the definition of poacher. For example, Jrgnsn mentioned Lewandowski as a poacher which I disagree with. I think he finds himself doing little else other than finishing chances at Bayern because they don't need him doing anything else, but he isn't a limited player by any stretch of the imagination.

    I think with Icardi it's borderline whether he has the ability to be the starting striker at a huge club aiming at winning titles. I think despite his finishing ability he breaks down a lot of attacks through a lack of vision and overall technical skills. I don't think it's a coincidence that our ability to counterattack has been almost not existent while he has been at the cub. However, people can point out that Mandzukic is similarly technically flawed and he won a CL title. I would argue that at his peak he was almost unbeatable in the air and this quality is what allowed him to succeed at the highest level. I question whether Icardi has a quality like this despite being a very cool finisher. Of course some would argue that he is young and not fully developed. I guess that is true.

    I don't consider Muller, Kane, or Rooney to be poachers, or in any way untalented.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

  10. Thanks (1): Bluenine

  11. #7
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jrgnsn View Post
    Thomas Müller is clumsy to watch but he is so damn effective on a number of different positions. He reminds me a bit of Henry as he isn't a traditional goal poacher but rather the kind of player which by his combination of pace and the ability to make the right decisions makes him very effective. The goal poacher in Bayern München is Lewandowski and it was Klose before and now Gomez on the national team which means I don't think you are including him in the right category.
    Germans seem to excel in producing poachers (lets not forget the great old Muller) just as they commonly produce quality keepers. The current Muller is nothing like the graceful Henry who possessed many apparent skills and was a joy to behold.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Just kidding, mate. Re Rooney, I rate him as an exceptional player, just below the best players in the world. Of course the English media hyped him up way too much - they do that a lot, Rooney is not world class level that the media would like us to believe
    I'd say Rooney is a top class player (stretching) and I of course agree he is no where close to world class. The thing with the English media is the hype players almost to a detrimental affect on the progress of said player, in Rooney's case we can hardly blame them because of the way he burst into the season with Everton as a 16 year old kid! His amazing goal against Arsenal (and that Arsenal was very different from today's team) I believe made waves and Utd took interest in him.

    Also the fact that English football requires players to play more minutes of football and have less resting time compared to other leagues could play a huge part in the decline of players such as Rooney.

    and of course he is overpaid, all english players are these days (like Italians used to be in the 90s).
    You're mistaken, English players tend to be overpaid in transfer fees (like Andy Carroll, Handerson, Sterling) but not in the salary they take. Rooney always had an inflated salary, though perhaps more so for marketing reasons because he sold many replicas throughout the years. I don't know about you but Italians in the 90s I felt they warranted those crazy transfers a lot more than their English counterparts.

    His vision and passing ability was better than any other English player I have seen in the last 20 years (with the exception of Scholes).
    Really?! Rooney a better passer than Backham?Gerrard?Lampard? Hell even Carrick is a better passer with more vision than Rooney. Not saying he's not good at it but to say he's the best in the last 20 years bar Scholes is a bit of a stretch.


    Our talk is mainly about poachers and yes I acknowledge that Rooney is not a poacher but still in my eyes there really is nothing that stand much about him. He is like you cuntly mentioned not a classic no.9 like most of the others I mentioned but that is not the point. The point is the players I mean do not have to be poachers (like Rooney/Muller) they just (in my humble opinion) do not have that something special about them that many other great strikers/wingers/AMs have and yet they still score as many goals.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post

    Anyway, I guess your main point was about whether pure 'poachers' still have a place in the game.


    I don't consider Muller, Kane, or Rooney to be poachers, or in any way untalented.
    No that's not my main point, regardless of the classification of the player (wingers/AMs can be included). How is it is he able to score so many goals?

    And what exactly do said players (Kane/Muller/Rooney) are talented in in your opinion? Because from what I see of them, like I said many times already, nothing seems to separate them from other great goal scorers.

  12. #8
    TGDella's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Nov 14
    Posts
    1,711
    Thanked
    1,762 times
    Fav. Player
    Miranda

    England

    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    Also the fact that English football requires players to play more minutes of football and have less resting time compared to other leagues could play a huge part in the decline of players such as Rooney.
    .
    Disagree with a lot of what you're saying here, but I'm going to choose to take issue with this in particular. What do you mean by his decline? Rooney first came onto the scene with an incredibly aggressive, almost street-football style of play, with which it is incredibly surprising that he's continued to perform at the top level of the game. Look at some others who made a name for themselves as all-action strikers, tearing around the pitch - I'm thinking of Torres most specifically - and you'll see that Rooney has in fact demonstrated an awful lot of consistency throughout his career. This season, it's looked as though his time at the top may be nearing its end, but to spend so long there has been a very good achievement and I wouldn't bet against him reinventing himself as a hero for a smaller team soon if he doesnt want to retire on the bench at United.

    To put him in the same bracket as the likes of Inzaghi displays total blindness to Rooney's very expansive game, but let's use goalscoring as you've chosen as your theme. Rooney had 2 great goalscoring seasons, in 09-10 and 11-12. Other than that, he has scored between 10 and 17 league goals EVERY SINGLE SEASON. That is a respectable, consistent return for someone whose ideal position, as Bluenine has said, is off the main striker and often dropping deep into midfield. It is open for debate as to whether his 2 great seasons suggested a potential for him to hit world class status, but to suggest he's had some kind of huge decline is totally wrong. The fact that Rooney plays with an erratic style - often trying over-ambitious passes (to address your other debate, his passing is very good but sometimes not as good as he thinks it is, leading to errors) and dribbles seems to have led people to think his contributions have no been consistent, when in actual fact they definitely have been.

    Rooney has been penalised by many English football fans for having made an impact at too young an age, an age which created ridiculous extrapolations of the player he could be in his prime. That's not his fault, though, and he's a player with exceptional talent whose had a very good career.
    "I didn’t want to upset or disrespect the Lazio fans, but I had to do it for Lotito. It was the saddest backflip of my career."

    -Hernanes

  13. Thanks (1): WLEXT

  14. #9
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    Disagree with a lot of what you're saying here, but I'm going to choose to take issue with this in particular. What do you mean by his decline?
    Have you bloody seen his touch? his control of the ball the last couple of seasons? He has fallen so dramatically from the average consistent days he's known for (imo) he doesn't even look like a fuckin footballer let alone a great one as you say, and I know your like what? average consistent? This we won't agree on, you think he's an amazing player with huge talent. I think he's a roughly good player who occasionally shows glimpses of greatness who had the privilege of playing under the great red faced cunt.

    Rooney first came onto the scene with an incredibly aggressive, almost street-football style of play, with which it is incredibly surprising that he's continued to perform at the top level of the game. Look at some others who made a name for themselves as all-action strikers, tearing around the pitch - I'm thinking of Torres most specifically - and you'll see that Rooney has in fact demonstrated an awful lot of consistency throughout his career.
    Yes, I have also likened him to Torres in a previous post, his pace and strength when he was very young (remember his frame was bigger than normal) were very impressive. You say he's continued to perform but is it on the same level that he has displayed when he first emerged as an exciting young player? Because I strongly don't think so.

    To put him in the same bracket as the likes of Inzaghi displays total blindness to Rooney's very expansive game, but let's use goalscoring as you've chosen as your theme. Rooney had 2 great goalscoring seasons, in 09-10 and 11-12. Other than that, he has scored between 10 and 17 league goals EVERY SINGLE SEASON. That is a respectable, consistent return for someone whose ideal position, as Bluenine has said, is off the main striker and often dropping deep into midfield.
    I know that he has an amazing goal scoring record and I also said that I believe the way Fergie instructs his team to play - which is the majority of his playing career - is highly dependent on wingers and creating chances inside the box, again I'm not saying he hasn't scored wonders, of course he did and so does fuckin Guarin but he does not do them on a regular basis. I don't get the feeling that whenever Rooney has the ball he'll create something out of nothing as often as some of other great players who scored less than him, do worry me when they're on the ball.

    Rooney is one of them players where you probably either think of him greatly or think he's an overrated midget who talks funny. I cringe thinking of the day he might get called up as a pundit.

    He did of course enjoy one hell of a career, that we agree on. Anything else though? Nah.

  15. #10

    Join Date
    16 Feb 13
    Posts
    3,280
    Thanked
    4,054 times
    Old name
    Jrg

    Denmark

    17 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    Germans seem to excel in producing poachers (lets not forget the great old Muller) just as they commonly produce quality keepers. The current Muller is nothing like the graceful Henry who possessed many apparent skills and was a joy to behold.
    Again Müller isn't used as a traditional number 9 striker aka goal poacher as you want him to be categorized. Lewandowski has this role in Bayern and before him was it Mandzukic, Gomez, Klose ect. Guardiola uses him as a creative force either playing at the side of Lewandowski or behind him. Hell even sometimes is he used as a winger. Müllers upside is his broad spectrum of things he is capable of doing well and yes one of them is scoring goals and thereby his positioning but he can do so many other things as well just like Henry did. Compare Bergkamp with Lewandowski and then Henry with Müller. I know they are not the exact same players but we are talking about positions (even though you really can't talk about positions with Guardiolas system as he changes it quite often even within the matches just like Mancini did yesterday).

  16. #11
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    Again Müller isn't used as a traditional number 9 striker aka goal poacher as you want him to be categorized.
    The point is the players I mean do not have to be poachers (like Rooney/Muller) they just (in my humble opinion) do not have that something special about them that many other great strikers/wingers/AMs have and yet they still score as many goals.

  17. #12

    Join Date
    16 Feb 13
    Posts
    3,280
    Thanked
    4,054 times
    Old name
    Jrg

    Denmark

    17 Forum Supporter
    You write in your first post:

    However, they do not possess any great shooting techniques, any skills that leave defenders bamboozled when they face them or at least pace to try and rub off defenders, neither are they specialists in set pieces. But they manage to score and score all types of goals, headers, tap ins, screamers from outside the box. Even their dominant foot (which is the right one in the examples I put forth) is not that dominant really and you could easily find many better players that could do majestic things with a ball and score from angels they could only dream of. Even in strength which is what you commonly find in non-skillful players they do not possess!
    I simply don't agree with you. As said Müller is clumsy to watch but you can't deny the amount of goals he has scored by showing a great shooting technique. The same goes for his huge amount of workload and his pace he often shows. You are underrating him a lot IMO.

    This is from your first post as well:

    Drogba, Adriano, Vieri, Shevchenko, Henry, Ronaldo, Batistuta, Del Piero are all players of a very much higher quality and caliber (ability wise) and you could hardly argue with that but they still manage to score as much as them or in some cases more!
    Drogba was in my opinion a traditional no. 9 striker as his forces were positioning and strength. Actually I think you should have switched these two players around as I think Vieri and Henry had some of the similar forces to Müller meanwhile Drogba more reminds me of Shearer.

    However I guess we can discuss this for a long time. I just want you to take notice of how Müller is being used by Guardiola and the broad spectrum of skills he shows every single match.

    - - - Updated - - -

    I think the last three goals in this top 5 goals video of him from last season shows that he does have a great shooting technique and is able to score from an angle that only you and me can dream of.


  18. Thanks (1): RubItAppianoGentile

  19. #13
    TGDella's Avatar
    Join Date
    13 Nov 14
    Posts
    1,711
    Thanked
    1,762 times
    Fav. Player
    Miranda

    England

    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    Have you bloody seen his touch? his control of the ball the last couple of seasons? He has fallen so dramatically from the average consistent days he's known for (imo) he doesn't even look like a fuckin footballer let alone a great one as you say, and I know your like what? average consistent? This we won't agree on, you think he's an amazing player with huge talent. I think he's a roughly good player who occasionally shows glimpses of greatness who had the privilege of playing under the great red faced cunt.
    His touch has been bad lately, I'll confess, but has only really diminished this season imo, it's not been part of a grand decline at all. Your description of Ferguson betrays, like with most Rooney-haters, an anti-Man United bias which is colouring your opinion.

    Yes, I have also likened him to Torres in a previous post, his pace and strength when he was very young (remember his frame was bigger than normal) were very impressive. You say he's continued to perform but is it on the same level that he has displayed when he first emerged as an exciting young player? Because I strongly don't think so.
    This season perhaps not, but for the last few I don't think his level has been a long way off, at all. Like I say, I think he's been pretty consistent throughout his career, and it's only his failure to really kick on like his former colleague Cristiano Ronaldo that has attracted the claims of 'didn't fulfill his potential' - when really, a superhuman like Ronaldo is not a fair comparison to make, and Rooney has had a very solid career.

    I know that he has an amazing goal scoring record and I also said that I believe the way Fergie instructs his team to play - which is the majority of his playing career - is highly dependent on wingers and creating chances inside the box, again I'm not saying he hasn't scored wonders, of course he did and so does fuckin Guarin but he does not do them on a regular basis. I don't get the feeling that whenever Rooney has the ball he'll create something out of nothing as often as some of other great players who scored less than him, do worry me when they're on the ball.
    lol, throughout Rooney's career I've always seen him get the ball and felt more than any other English player that something was going to happen. But I guess that's a difference in perspective.
    Rooney is one of them players where you probably either think of him greatly or think he's an overrated midget who talks funny. I cringe thinking of the day he might get called up as a pundit.
    Fail to see how it matters but Rooney is average height, and has a pretty standard Liverpudlian accent.
    He is also a much more down to earth and calm character than his slightly brutish appearance suggests. He'd be a bad pundit because he's a bit boring, not because he's an idiot.
    "I didn’t want to upset or disrespect the Lazio fans, but I had to do it for Lotito. It was the saddest backflip of my career."

    -Hernanes

  20. #14
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    You are underrating him a lot IMO.
    I just want you to take notice of how Müller is being used by Guardiola and the broad spectrum of skills he shows every single match.
    I may be underrating him, haven't actually seen much of him this season or last (only big games) and will take your suggestion and watch him more frequently. The video you uploaded I do not need to watch because you could honestly make an average player a great one with YouTube videos.

    As for Drogba, we both agree on his amazing force and of course positioning. However, he offers a lot more as well. His headers are one of the best of all time in my opinion and his right foot is also quite exceptional, evident by his free kick skills and how he dips the ball at will. Anyway like you said it is only a matter of different opinions.

    -----

    Your description of Ferguson betrays, like with most Rooney-haters, an anti-Man United bias which is colouring your opinion.
    Lol it's that obvious huh? I do despise Fergie actually and hence hate Utd as well because Fergie = Utd but I try my best not to let that affect my judgment of them as Fergie is quite simply the best PL manager ever.

    and it's only his failure to really kick on like his former colleague Cristiano Ronaldo that has attracted the claims of 'didn't fulfill his potential' - when really, a superhuman like Ronaldo is not a fair comparison to make, and Rooney has had a very solid career.
    Of course I don't take that into consideration when I evaluate Rooney because it is unfair and quite honestly stupid. Ronaldo is on a another level than all of the players on the planet except for one.

    and has a pretty standard Liverpudlian accent.
    Exactly, I could never hold a straight face whenever Rooney, Gerrard or Carragher open their mouths.

    He is also a much more down to earth and calm character than his slightly brutish appearance suggests. He'd be a bad pundit because he's a bit boring, not because he's an idiot.
    Twice, he asked to leave from Utd. Even under Fergie and that has left a sour taste in many Utd fans. Not necessarily a sign of arrogance (more of an ambition imo) but some could argue it is.

    because he's a bit boring, not because he's an idiot.
    Most football players are idiots is what I believe, Rooney is no exception. (and not talking in footballing terms)

  21. #15
    Somebody stop me! Devious's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Oct 06
    Posts
    11,470
    Thanked
    22,810 times
    Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

    Egypt

    Nicest Poster
    I like goals

    Shit doesnt happen


  22. #16
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    Oh man as much I hate your trolling fuckin posts they put a smile (laugh) on my ugly face

  23. Thanks (2): Devious, J..

  24. #17
    RubItAppianoGentile's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Jan 15
    Posts
    322
    Thanked
    203 times
    Fav. Player
    Fat Ronaldo

    Panama

    Inzagui, agreed (somewhat)
    Shearer, agreed
    Kane, dunno (been years since I watched a Premier game)
    Rooney, don't agree (his long pass ability was out of this world years back, maybe because of Scholes tutoring him?)

    but Muller?? Dude, that is the WORST example you could have given. Muller has played literally in all positions upfront in Bayern last 3-4 years. He may be clumsy as Jrgnsn said, but he delivers, as a wide forward, forward, wide midfielder, attacking midfieldier, second striker, etc, etc, etc... and that is what matters at the end of the day.

  25. #18
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    So reading the posts again I can safely assume that you all think I'm talking out my tight anus. Good to know.

  26. #19
    RubItAppianoGentile's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Jan 15
    Posts
    322
    Thanked
    203 times
    Fav. Player
    Fat Ronaldo

    Panama

    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    So reading the posts again I can safely assume that you all think I'm talking out my tight anus. Good to know.
    For all that you have written in the thread, I don't think it's too tight as you believe (no homo)...

  27. #20
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,137 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4

  28. Thanks (1): RubItAppianoGentile

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •