Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your EPL Team of the Season

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Your EPL Team of the Season

I thought it would be better to make a new topic for this rather than do it inside the EPL topic. This way it receives more attention and it's neater.

Use any formation.

Here's mine...

4-4-2
    Henry-Rooney
    Robben-Lampard-Cahill-C. Ronaldo
    Heinze-Terry-Carvalho-Ferreira
    Cech

Arsenal players: 1
    Manchester Utd. players: 3
    Chelsea players: 6
    Everton players: 1

English players: 3
    French players: 1
    Argentine players: 1
    Portuguese players: 3
    Australian players: 1
    Czech players: 1
    Dutch players: 1

I know none of you will fully agree with this, but I know it's a respectable line-up.

Cech: Few would disagree with this. He conceded the least goals and was outstanding all season. Not even 1 blunder I can recall.

Heinze: He impressed me a lot, I love his hard work and aggressive attitude. Obviously his only real rival for this position is Ashely Cole who probably will be the choice of most other people here. I prefer Heinze though, he reminds me a lot of Cambiasso. He would be a perfect solution to our left-back spot.

Terry: Captain of the winning club and was always consistent. He scored a few goals, some of them important, as well. He is part of the reason Chelsea's defence was so infallible this season.

Carvalho: Didn't struggle in his first season in the EPL and was part of that incredible Chelsea defence. I can't think of another player who performed better than him at CB this season.

Ferreira: See 'Carvalho' but instead of CB, RB.

Robben: One of the best talents in the EPL, he impressed me so much with his excellent dribbling, great passing and accurate shooting. Sadly injury plagued some of his season but when he played he was a real difference maker for Chelsea. Pires is a strong rival for this spot but I was more impressed by Robben.

Lampard: Self-explanatory.

Cahill: Now I know this choice will shock a few and some of you will shake your heads and think 'what the f@$%?" but this is a well-deserved choice for me. He was Everton's top scorer from midfield and one of the most consistent players all season. He was signed from Millwall before the season and has made a solid impact, without him Everton probably wouldn't have finished 4th. Obviously the likes of Gerrard, Vieira, Keane and Xabi Alonso will be the more common choices.

C. Ronaldo: He's a very skillful player and was one of the better players for Man U in their disappointing season. Only 19 yrs old too.

Henry: Top scorer. One of the most skillful players around. Need I say more.

Rooney: I hated this guy, I thought he was an immature f-ck. I still don't like him as a person. But as a player, he's surprised me. He scores good goals and he makes good assists. He didn't come to close to being top scorer but he scored some spectacular goals and was one of the 'better players' at Man U this season. But if he was drowning I'd throw him a cinter block.

I might wake up tomorrow and disagree with some of these choices, but the important thing is... I made the thread.

moderators: please don't delete this. I think it's a good idea.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Code:
               Henry    Defoe
    Robben   Lampard   Makelele   Gerrard
    Heinze    Terry     Gallas    Lauren
                    Cech
    Petr Cech
    Undisputable. No words needed.

Heinze
    It is arguable that Man Utd's only 'success' this season is to finally find a regular left back ever since Dennis Irwin left in Gabriel Heinze. Silvestre, Fortune, O'Shea & P.Neville have all started, crashed & burned. Heinze is aggresive defensively, good off the ball and not so bad on the crosses either.

Terry
    Stellar season by Terry who has succeded Desailly both as the rock and captain of the team. Was controversially given the PFA Player of the Year award but he was indeed very good. His offensive contribuition from the set pieces can't be ignored.

Gallas
    Fast, agile & versatile. Stastitics shows that when most of Chelsea's clean sheet in the EPL this season was earned when he partnered Terry when Carvalho was injured. If I'm not wrong, he played in most, if not all, of the record breaking clean sheet run.

Lauren
    Has improved tremendously compared to last season and sealed his place in the team.

Robben
    Perhaps not the best choice since he was only available for only about half of the season but what impact he has made! He will play more defensively compared to his left forward role he usually occupies. But if I'm not wrong, Robben also played in the left midfield role when he was with PSV so there should be no problem with using him here.

Lampard
    Give him a red cape (and underwear ) and there you have it, England's Superman.

Makelele
    The ultimate ball-winner in the middle of the field. Hailed by Jose Mourinho as his player of the season, I see him like those guards in the country borders who will prevent anyone from passing the borderline unless they have permission.

Gerrard
    Like Robben, he will play in a slightly different role. He will occupy the role that David Beckham made famous when he was in Man Utd. A right midfielder who works hard for the team. He also has the ability to deliver menacing crosses and cross-field passes to Robben or Henry on the left.

Henry
    Top scorer for the umpteenth time. One of the world's best striker. Only God, and the English, know why wasn't he awarded with the PFA Player of the Year award.

Defoe
    To be honest, I have difficulties in finding Henry's partner since no striker has really shined this season. But I went for someone who will suit Henry's playing style and that is Defoe who is a 'fox in the box' that Henry has always crave for. Don't let Andy Johnson's number fool you, more than half of his goals are scored from the spot.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

You're right Handoyo. Johnson is not a very good striker in comparison to players like Defoe, Rooney and Hasselbaink. Even Robbie Keane is better. Crystal Palace were fortunate enough to earn a lot of penalties and Johnson was capable of scoring 11 of them (his goal total was 21).

I was surprised to see on espnsoccernet.com today that Dale Johnson (a writer for the site I think) had almost the same team as me. This was his...

Henry-Rooney
    Robben-Cahill-Lampard
    -Zoltan Gera
    Heinze-Terry-Carragher-Hibbert
    Cech

Only 3 players different to my team.

Fav. Player

Canada

-------------------Cech-----------------

-Carragher--Terry--*Ferdinand--Heinze

--C.Ronaldo--Lampard--Cahill--Gerrard

--------------Henry----Rooney-----------

Coach: David Moyes

*Some may not like it but Hey, he's kept Man Utd's defensive record to #2 in the prem.
    ████████████████████████████████████

*18* VERO

Syria

10 years of FIF
    hmm, Han i dont know how you can include Gallas at CB? He rarely played there...

--------------Martyn---------------
    Hibbert-Ferdinand-Terry-Heinze-
    -------------Makelele--------------
    Gerrard----Lampard------Robben
    ---------Henry------Johnson-------

why?

I know Cech broke the record for practically everything, but Nigel Martyn made much better saves, and if it wasnt for him, Everton wouldnt of won as many games.

Hibbert has been awesome, it was either him or Carragher.

Rooney and Defoe infront of Andy? i mean come on, look at the top scorers list, and he played for a team who got relegated, so for that he must of done extra well.

-------------Cech-----------------
    Hibbert-Terry-Ferdinand-Heinze
    Gerrard-Lampard-Makelele-Robben
    ---------Henry---Johnson

Syria

10 years of FIF
    lol i see that you liked my lineup just replaced the keeper.

Johansson - Forssel
    Kolkka - Riihilahti - Niemi - Enckelman
    Ventola - Sorondo - Hyypia - Kugi N
    Jaaskelainen

Indonesia

Well Helal, when Carvalho was injured this season (Broken ankle for 3 months if I'm not wrong), Gallas covered up for him in the centre and him & Terry alongside Cech & Makelele formed the most ruthless defense the Premiership has ever seen. That is why I put Gallas in the middle, despite him using on the flanks too this season.

Handyo

Fav. Player

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by helal25
    hmm, Han i dont know how you can include Gallas at CB? He rarely played there...

--------------Martyn---------------
    Hibbert-Ferdinand-Terry-Heinze-
    -------------Makelele--------------
    Gerrard----Lampard------Robben
    ---------Henry------Johnson-------

why?

I know Cech broke the record for practically everything, but Nigel Martyn made much better saves, and if it wasnt for him, Everton wouldnt of won as many games.

Hibbert has been awesome, it was either him or Carragher.

Rooney and Defoe infront of Andy? i mean come on, look at the top scorers list, and he played for a team who got relegated, so for that he must of done extra well.
    Andy has scored 10 penalty kicks this season.
    ████████████████████████████████████

*18* VERO

Syria

10 years of FIF
    and who do u think scored most of them?

trust me ive watched him, his absolute class.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Johnson has nowhere near the striking proess of players like Rooney, Hasselbaink, Drogba or even Bergkamp.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    look at all the players u mentioned.

a) they play for world class clubs, except boro.
    B) Johnson STILL outscored THEM! despite being with a weak CP team who got relegated.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

look at all the players u mentioned.

a) they play for world class clubs, except boro.
    B) Johnson STILL outscored THEM! despite being with a weak CP team who got relegated.
    Johnson scored 11 penalties kicks, he took 13.
    That's TEN (10) goals in open play. Rooney scored 11 goals, 0 penalties. Hasselbaink scored 13 goals, I don't know how many were penalties - probably 0 because he's not known to take penalties. Defoe scored 13 goals, he took 0 penalties.

Johnson only made 3 assists this season. Compared to Rooney who made 4, Hasselbaink who made 7 and Gudjohnsen (scored 12) who made 7 assists.

You can't look at everything by 'face value'. 21 goals in a season is very impressive number. Look at the bigger picture though, 2 missed penalties, 11 goals from penalties and just 10 open play goals with just 3 assists. Players like Rooney, Hasselbaink and Gudjohnsen scored more goals in open play and made more assists, so frankly Johnson is not a better player.

But hey, you wanna believe that a guy who is 5'7 and scored 21 goals was the second best striker in the premier league then by all means go ahead. I don't want to change your opinion, I'm just stating the facts.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    But hey, you wanna believe that a guy who is 5'7 and scored 21 goals was the second best striker in the premier league then by all means go ahead. I don't want to change your opinion, I'm just stating the facts.
    i didnt know height meant so much?

go tell that to players like Seeler, the german great who was 160 something.

my point is, your the one going by numbers. just cause of the penalty crap.

keep in mind he won half those freaking penalties. and his on field play was superb.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

i didnt know height meant so much?

go tell that to players like Seeler, the german great who was 160 something.

my point is, your the one going by numbers. just cause of the penalty crap.

keep in mind he won half those freaking penalties. and his on field play was superb.
    I just stated he was 5'7, I didn't say that was a bad thing. Some of the best strikers ever were/are short, e.g. OBA MARTINS, Romario, Bebeto.

Fav. Player
    Santigol

Carvalho ahead of the likes of Carragher and Rio? I don't think so, although I think he is a MUCH better defender than those two, he just hasn't played enough games, but he was still farking brillant, especially when Terry was missing.
    Heinze was incredible, as was Ferreira. Ronaldo has been United's most consistent player. No need to explain myself for Lampard and Terry. Cahill was the buy of the year, from 2nd division where he was a good player to PL where he has been a superstar. Duff has been better than Robben full season wise.

Cech
    Ferreira Terry Carragher Heinze
    Makelele
    Ronaldo Lampard Cahill Duff
    Henry

Indonesia

A name just popped at the back of my head.

What happen to Stephen Downing from Middlesborough? There were a lot of talks about him last year. I can't remember if he impressed last season or this season though.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Isn't that the young lad who was scoring nice goals and is a LB? I think he got an NT call-up or almost did.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    A name just popped at the back of my head.

What happen to Stephen Downing from Middlesborough? There were a lot of talks about him last year. I can't remember if he impressed last season or this season though.

Handyo
    First of all its Stewart Downing, not stephen

he impressed big time this season.

what a left foot his got, great player.(his already got a cap) but He was called up for Englands US tour but i dont think he'll be able to play (jarred knee during a training session)

Hamed, he cant play LB. Zenden played there, Stewart is a pure left winger.

his got alot of pressure on his shoulders as he is tipped so solve Englands worries on the left side of midfield. buthis got no chance wit hte mourinho backed emergence of Joe Cole.