Thread: Club World Cup

Scotland

Club World Cup

I'm interested to know how seriously people on this forum take this competition. In Britain, the view generally tends to be that only South Americans (who want to pit their teams against the best of Europe) and southern Europeans, such as Italy and Spain, are the only ones who see it with any importance. Northern Europeans view it as a non event.

2. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

Holy See

Yeah I'd say most of Europe share the same view. The timing of it and the competition you face makes it irrelevant for the most part.

4. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

Nicest Poster
    I took it seriously once in 2010

Shit doesnt happen

6. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Il Chino

Belize

As far as Europe goes, I don't think anyone aside from fans of the team that are in it give a shit about it. And even then, when Inter was in it all I cared about was not embarrassing ourselves by losing to some no name team from the Congo

8. Thanks (2): MVD, thatdude

Old name
    Jrg

Denmark

17 Forum Supporter
    It is a money-generating event by FIFA in which the competition is placed around in different parts of the world as an attempt to generate more income by selling merchandise and by meeting local powerful people in which they can hand FIFA money underneath the table as a way to promote and get a World Cup to their country.

10. Thanks (1): MVD

Netherlands

I just miss when the Brazilians would come on our forum and explain to us how the Brazilian league is the best in the world, and 28 year old player X who scored a goal against a European team in this competition was worth 30 million.

12. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Wesley Sneijder

Greece

Juventus, Inter, Milan for Club World Cup
    By Football Italia staff

Reports in Italy suggest FIFA’s revamped Club World Cup will start in 2021, with Juventus, Inter and Milan all invited.

World football’s governing body is seeking to expand the current tournament, which features the winners of the UEFA, CONCACAF, AFC, CAF, OFC and CONMEBOL Champions Leagues.

FIFA wants to expand the tournament to revamp the tournament, holding it every four years in a deal would could be worth around €21bn.

Today’s Gazzetta dello Sport reports that the first edition will be played in June 2021, with the teams selected by invitiation.

It would comprise the most successful clubs in history, with Juve, Inter, and Milan all being invited from Serie A.

The FIFA Council could approve the move before this summer’s World Cup, but if there is broad consensus it could even be rubber stamped at an extraordinary meeting this month.

The dates for 2021 have already been selected, Gazzetta reports, with the tournament to run from June 10 to 28.

There would be 24 teams divided into eight groups of three, with the eight group winners competing in the knockout phase.

In the knockout rounds matches will last 90 minutes and go immediately to penalties in the event of a draw.

So far there is no host, but China is believed to be keen to host the event, not least to practice for a future World Cup bid.

Half of the teams would come from UEFA, with two from Africa, two from Asia and two from North America.

Three South American teams would qualify automatically, with a play-off between a fourth side and an Oceania representative to make up the 24 teams.

Given that the first tournament will be invitational, FIFA has already drawn up a prospective list of the teams to take part.

Real Madrid, Milan, Bayern, Barcelona, ​​Liverpool, Ajax, Inter and Manchester United will all be invited, as will Juventus and Paris Saint-Germain.

The final place would be taken by one of Manchester City, Chelsea, Atletico Madrid, Porto, Benfica or Borussia Dortmund.
    "After Inter it's difficult to think of anything better" - Walter Sabatini

14. Thanks (5): Batman, MVD, Native, thatdude, Zoro

Fav. Player
    De Vrij

Netherlands

82 Anti-Barca Forum Supporter
    Yep, another trophy that will be ours soon.
    Bwahahahaha!!! What man would voluntarily impregnate a woman while being sober?! Our fathers were all drunk.
    -Lionheart
    Get your fucking shit together you worthless, spineless, brainless fucking cunts.
    -Universe
    FUCK BARCA

16. Thanks (2): MVD, _Ivan_

Fav. Player
    Emre + Martins
    Old name
    Wolf's Rain

Turkey

I'm not gunna lie, I've thought about something like this before myself. Or another idea, all previous uefa champions league winners in a special competition that might a cool thing to do. I suppose some teams are super weak by now, but I'm sure it'd still be fun every 2-4 years or something. I'd be hype for this competition.

But why is PSG automatically in? Should be Marsellie at the very least, and why is Man city even up for contention for the last spot from Europe? It should be Celtic or someone that actually has more history in the competition. Other than that it all sounds exciting tbh.

18. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter Nostradamus
    Very poor idea, hopefully it flops.

20. Thanks (2): MVD, _OC_

Fav. Player
    Emre + Martins
    Old name
    Wolf's Rain

Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by monster09 View Post
    Very poor idea, hopefully it flops.
    Why do you say that? (not tryna start an argument genuinely curious)

22. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

Quote Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
    Why do you say that? (not tryna start an argument genuinely curious)
    As it is CL money created big disparity between CL clubs and other clubs in leagues, only inviting select few clubs after season for few friendly games and giving 60 million for just participation is just too much, it creates even bigger gap.

Also it's after the season, so it's just like international cup competition thing that is played as pre season friendlies. Somehow clubs will get 100 million from it.

How can UEFA justify the FFP crap if they give that much money for few friendlies?

24. Thanks (3): MVD, Zoro, _OC_

Vatican

10 years of FIF Most Serious Member
    It's not a friendly tournament, it will be a proper club World Cup, every four years. The first tournament will probably be invitation-only until they find a proper qualification formula. I'm guessing it will have to do with league tables within those 4 seasons and seeding.
    Meaning that from Europe the first top 4 leagues will be sending their best 2 teams for that period, the 5th league will be sending their best team and the other 3 teams may be decided on most CL trophies or highest UEFA coeffs for that period or something like that. That needs to be worked out.

It will actually be a great idea but scheduling it in will be hell.
    It's also a great idea to use popular, historic clubs in the first edition so that it gains more exposure. It will be a proper replacement for that Club World Championship which is a very bad tournament and even its final is not as good as the Intercontinental cup.

26. Thanks (3): MVD, thatdude, Zoro

Fav. Player
    Cambiasso

Albania

Well the fact that now the Club World Championship (Intercontinental Cup) has lost quality it's not due to the formula, its because unlike pre 90s now all good players from other continents come to Europe.
    This is just another "wise idea" from FIFA to win more money and as long as a share of these money will go to big European Clubs as well all agree.

That said , since Inter is part of that list we can't complain too much , it would need years for our team to actually be competitive enough to qualify for a tournament like this no matter the formula.

28. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Miranda

Italy

70 Most Improved Member
    edit
    Last edited by firmino; 17 May 18 at 20:52. Reason: wrong thread
    My username has nothing to do with the player of loserpool fc, it is just a reference to an Italian novel.

30. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Emre + Martins
    Old name
    Wolf's Rain

Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by monster09 View Post
    As it is CL money created big disparity between CL clubs and other clubs in leagues, only inviting select few clubs after season for few friendly games and giving 60 million for just participation is just too much, it creates even bigger gap.

Also it's after the season, so it's just like international cup competition thing that is played as pre season friendlies. Somehow clubs will get 100 million from it.

How can UEFA justify the FFP crap if they give that much money for few friendlies?
    I can understand what you're saying regarding the money, but it's still not a friendly/friendly games. It's going to be an official FIFA tournament, I imagine everyone will take it seriously. It'll be the world cup equivalent for clubs, as the Euros are the equivalent for the UCL. Plus one more thing to look forward to in the Summer, now we'll only ever have 1 year off in 3, something like World Cup, Club World Cup, Euros. But as I said I do understand the money side of it, but I think the money is there so teams DO take it seriously.

32. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

Quote Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
    I can understand what you're saying regarding the money, but it's still not a friendly/friendly games. It's going to be an official FIFA tournament, I imagine everyone will take it seriously. It'll be the world cup equivalent for clubs, as the Euros are the equivalent for the UCL. Plus one more thing to look forward to in the Summer, now we'll only ever have 1 year off in 3, something like World Cup, Club World Cup, Euros. But as I said I do understand the money side of it, but I think the money is there so teams DO take it seriously.
    I will be very surprised if clubs take it seriously. It's after the season and players will be exhausted by then. Clubs will also want to protect players, so they will send them to vacation and start pre season early to prepare for next season.

Lets see how it goes but like I said, will be surprised if clubs take it seriously.

34. Thanks (2): MVD, Zoro