9 60.00%
  • Wings

6 40.00%

Thread: FIF Fantasy Draft Semi-final: Shaun - Wings

Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

Netherlands

FIF Fantasy Draft Semi-final: Shaun - Wings

Trying to do this from my phone so bare with me as I copy formations over.

If a moderator could create a poll that would be splendid.

Shaun and Wings, feel free to post any comments below and I'll post them up here.

Shaun

<br />
0 0 0 Lukaku 0 0 0<br />
D.Silva 0 0 0 0 0 Messi<br />
0 0 0 Pjanic 0 0 0<br />
0 Modric 0 0 0 Matuidi 0<br />
F.Luis 0 0 0 0 0 Danilo<br />
0 0 T.Silva 0 Manolas 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
deGea<br />
    I think my team is slightly better. I think the midfields are very similar. Where I have the edge is upfront as my front three is superior to his. I think Silva is a superior player to Willian, Messi trumps Ronaldo due to his playing style which services the team more. Whereas the team will have to service Ronaldo in his lineup. I also think Lukaku has more to his game than Benzema especially from a physical standpoint. In defence I think they're pretty interchangeable. Boateng and Silva are two of the world's best, but Manolas is actually having a good season while Benatia isn't (be it for injuries or whatever). Luis has been a absolute beast for Atletico recently and is having just as good a season as Alba who despite being a bigger 'name' isn't a superior player. Danilo has had a downturn recently, but that is going to happen with young players. He's still easily one of the most talented fullbacks in the world, while Azpilicueta is a more solid player I think in a one-off game Danilo could easily outshine him with his superior talents. At goalkeeper I feel De Gea and Handanovic are both top notch, but De Gea is probably better at commanding his defence and passing which gives him the edge.

Wings

<br />
0 0 0 Benzema 0 0 0<br />
Ronaldo 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
0 0 0 Ozil 0 0 Willian<br />
0 0 Busquets 0 Verratti 0 0<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Alba 0 Benatia 0 Boateng 0 Azpilicueta<br />
0 0 0 0 0 0 0<br />
Handanovic<br />

Shaun claims his edge is in his attack, but my three are more balanced. Messi and Silva spend lots of times running toward the center of the pitch and will leave his team exposed on the flanks – definitely not a good thing against Ronaldo and Alba. Willian may not be as flashy as Silva or Messi, but he provides the defensive steel that's missing in Shaun's attack.

Supplying Ronaldo won't be a problem at all. I have Ozil, king of assists, and Benzema, who has had a great relationship with Ronaldo for years now. That's what tips the balance for me: proven chemistry between Ozil, Ronaldo, and Benzema. And beyond that Ronaldo can create goals all by himself. Since when does Ronaldo need service to be good? (see: Portugal NT).

Benzema is a superior player to Lukaku. He may not be as physical as Lukaku, but he's physical enough. And what he lacks in that he makes up for with his link-up play, which Lukaku is not good enough at.

Shaun's midfield features three good players, but they are all in unfamiliar positions. Matuidi and Modric are used to having a CDM behind them (Motta/Busquets) to cover for them, while Pjanic is a natural CM, not #10. Playing him in the hole will not get the best out of him. Modric and Matuidi will run forward, but without a CDM to cover for them, Shaun's midfield will have trouble dealing with Ozil.

Defense I think we are pretty even except that Danilo isn't even a starter for his club. He's been benched by Carvajal. He might have potential, but this is a contest of quality, not potential. Azpilicueta and Alba are proven performers, and Benatia has been good in his injury-limited appearances.

tl;dr: I have
    1) Proven chemistry with Ronaldo Benzema Ozil
    2) More defensive solidity on the flanks with Willian
    3) Shaun's midfielders are all out of position as they don't play as holding midfielders normally
    4) Danilo isn't even first-choice at his club
    Last edited by Shaun; 28 Apr 16 at 04:19.

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

my vote goes to wings, easily has the most complete and balanced team.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    I did some thinking over the bench issue. I think when a player is benched, it can make them think more.

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Macau

57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    I think my team is slightly better. I think the midfields are very similar. Where I have the edge is upfront as my front three is superior to his. I think Silva is a superior player to Willian, Messi trumps Ronaldo due to his playing style which services the team more. Whereas the team will have to service Ronaldo in his lineup. I also think Lukaku has more to his game than Benzema especially from a physical standpoint. In defence I think they're pretty interchangeable. Boateng and Silva are two of the world's best, but Manolas is actually having a good season while Benatia isn't (be it for injuries or whatever). Luis has been a absolute beast for Atletico recently and is having just as good a season as Alba who despite being a bigger 'name' isn't a superior player. Danilo has had a downturn recently, but that is going to happen with young players. He's still easily one of the most talented fullbacks in the world, while Azpilicueta is a more solid player I think in a one-off game Danilo could easily outshine him with his superior talents. At goalkeeper I feel De Gea and Handanovic are both top notch, but De Gea is probably better at commanding his defence and passing which gives him the edge.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

Marshall Islands

Now that I'm done with exams for now time to take a shot at Shaun:

Shaun claims his edge is in his attack, but my three are more balanced. Messi and Silva spend lots of times running toward the center of the pitch and will leave his team exposed on the flanks – definitely not a good thing against Ronaldo and Alba. Willian may not be as flashy as Silva or Messi, but he provides the defensive steel that's missing in Shaun's attack.

Supplying Ronaldo won't be a problem at all. I have Ozil, king of assists, and Benzema, who has had a great relationship with Ronaldo for years now. That's what tips the balance for me: proven chemistry between Ozil, Ronaldo, and Benzema. And beyond that Ronaldo can create goals all by himself. Since when does Ronaldo need service to be good? (see: Portugal NT).

Benzema is a superior player to Lukaku. He may not be as physical as Lukaku, but he's physical enough. And what he lacks in that he makes up for with his link-up play, which Lukaku is not good enough at.

Shaun's midfield features three good players, but they are all in unfamiliar positions. Matuidi and Modric are used to having a CDM behind them (Motta/Busquets) to cover for them, while Pjanic is a natural CM, not #10. Playing him in the hole will not get the best out of him. Modric and Matuidi will run forward, but without a CDM to cover for them, Shaun's midfield will have trouble dealing with Ozil.

Defense I think we are pretty even except that Danilo isn't even a starter for his club. He's been benched by Carvajal. He might have potential, but this is a contest of quality, not potential. Azpilicueta and Alba are proven performers, and Benatia has been good in his injury-limited appearances.

tl;dr: I have
    1) Proven chemistry with Ronaldo Benzema Ozil
    2) More defensive solidity on the flanks with Willian
    3) Shaun's midfielders are all out of position as they don't play as holding midfielders normally
    4) Danilo isn't even first-choice at his club

5. Thanks (1): Dylan

Wallace
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Matuidi and Modric are used to having a CDM behind them (Motta/Busquets) to cover for them
    Modric does not have Busquets covering for him if that's what you are trying to say.
    Wallace

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Picking Wings because I don't wanna be accused of nepotism if I pick someone I just promoted as admin

Jokes aside, I agree with Pimp, Wings' team seems more balanced.

Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

United States

Voted Shaun because I still think Wing's defensive pairing is weak and will be exploited.
    Platano Power
    You Fuck With Me You Fucking With The Best

9. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

Holy See

I'm actually surprised that Shaun has been leading since the start! I've echoed Wings post here before in his first match up and I think he has the strongest, most complete team in the competition. My only gripe is the double pivot but that's not nearly enough for Shaun's team to capitalise on.

Also, I see Messi reking Boateng and earning an - infamous - penalty with Handa saving it

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

91 Forum Supporter Most Pessimistic Member
    Wing's team won't see the ball because Shaun has so many technically gifted players that can make you lose your shit.
    Also Wings has a very shaky CB pair. Messi vs Boateng...merry go round moment lol
    Ozil can be an inconsistent lazy af...Ronaldo thinks he is a one man team...Benzema will feal like a lone island
    Busqueta and Verratti are a good pair tbh but won't be enough to challenge the numerical superiority of Shaun's mf

12. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Belgium

Manolas against Ronaldo, Benzema and Özil won't be shaky? And Danilo's been flopping more recently.

Also Lukaku isn't that usefull in a team that prefers possession, see his games with Belgium. Unless Shaun brings on a counter tactic, Lukaku won't do much.
    Forza Internazionale Milano
    Buffalo KAA Gent - Belgian Champions 2014-2015

http://forzainterforums.com/showthre...=1#post1395711

14. Thanks (2): Armes, MVD

Marshall Islands

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaMancini View Post
    Modric does not have Busquets covering for him if that's what you are trying to say.
    ?

16. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

United States

Busquets plays for Barcelona not Real Madrid so he is not covering Modric. At real Modric plays as the most defensive cm unless Casemiro plays.
    Platano Power
    You Fuck With Me You Fucking With The Best

18. Thanks (2): MVD, Wallace

Wallace
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jesus View Post
    Busquets plays for Barcelona not Real Madrid so he is not covering Modric. At real Modric plays as the most defensive cm unless Casemiro plays.
    Yep, exactly. I think Wings just somehow got mixed up Modric is playing at Barca (?).
    Wallace

20. Thanks (1): MVD

Marshall Islands

Yeah mixed him up with Rakitic and Busquets w/Casemiro.

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

Shaun advances to the final.

23. Thanks (2): ADRossi, Shaun