Page 1 of 17 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 329

Thread: General Football Debates

  1. #1
    ADRossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 10
    Posts
    7,100
    Thanked
    9,252 times
    Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

    Netherlands

    94

    General Football Debates

    After being inspired by a post by Pimp, I'm literally making this up on the fly, so bare with me.

    The concept is simple. Someone poses an argument which can be a debatable opinion, a general observation, whatever. The community reads it and adds their two-cents, countering it (or agreeing with it) using whatever opinions or supporting evidence they would like. After a little while (or once the discussion dies out), the person who posed the initial question selects the person who made the best argument during the round. That "winner" then poses a new argument. Rinse, wash, repeat.

    No idea if this will catch on or absolutely suck, but I'll give it a shot.

    First argument:

    Icardi would consistently score 20-25 goals per year if he played in La Liga


  2. #2
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,138 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    Scoring 20-25 goals in La Liga is not as impressive as doing it in any of the other big leagues.

  3. #3
    Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Mar 04
    Posts
    13,950
    Thanked
    17,832 times
    Fav. Player
    Kovacic

    Macau

    57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    Basically every single player who scores more than 20-25 goals in La Liga is a Barca or Real Madrid player though. Is Icardi playing for one of those two sides? Than sure, he'd score more than 20 goals. Probably if they played at Atletico too. Anyway, what striker if they played for Barca and played big minutes wouldn't score 20 goals?

    Could Icardi score 20 goals a season at Valencia? I think he'd get close. I think he would score at least 12-15 at most decent teams
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

  4. #4
    ScottishInterista's Avatar
    Join Date
    14 May 13
    Posts
    8,078
    Thanked
    7,828 times
    Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

    Scotland

    31 Forum Supporter Most Improved Member
    Well he scores a shit tonne in comparison to the few chances we give him here, so i dont see why not
    Strachan can suck my tiny schlong

    Quote Originally Posted by Glass box View Post
    One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

  5. #5
    thatdude's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Feb 10
    Posts
    12,167
    Thanked
    12,989 times

    United States

    Best Football Poster Nicest Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Basically every single player who scores more than 20-25 goals in La Liga is a Barca or Real Madrid player though. Is Icardi playing for one of those two sides? Than sure, he'd score more than 20 goals. Probably if they played at Atletico too. Anyway, what striker if they played for Barca and played big minutes wouldn't score 20 goals?

    Could Icardi score 20 goals a season at Valencia? I think he'd get close. I think he would score at least 12-15 at most decent teams
    12-15? I think that's a little low. I think he could do 18 or so in most decent teams and over 20 in most good ones.

  6. #6
    Shaun's Avatar
    Join Date
    04 Mar 04
    Posts
    13,950
    Thanked
    17,832 times
    Fav. Player
    Kovacic

    Macau

    57 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster
    I said at least, and what is your definition of decent? I was talking about an Espanyol or Betis type club.
    Quote Originally Posted by DM_ View Post
    Then we'll just buy the federation and create our own rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    I dont think juventus are willing to sell

  7. #7
    Kakaroto's Avatar
    Join Date
    26 Dec 10
    Posts
    10,396
    Thanked
    13,180 times
    Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

    United States

    48
    I don't think he would get in many line ups there Barça and Real for sure he wouldn't get in the line up. Atleti maybe but they have struggled with that type of striker recently because when you can't creat your own shot you struggle in that system, the striker is isolated in an island by himself and we have seen Icardi disappear in this situations. Don't think other teams have too much appeal for a pole striker in fact that's why he left Spain for Italy.
    Platano Power
    You Fuck With Me You Fucking With The Best

  8. #8
    Dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Jul 08
    Posts
    22,912
    Thanked
    20,689 times
    Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

    Ireland

    13
    Llorente, Soldado

  9. #9
    Kakaroto's Avatar
    Join Date
    26 Dec 10
    Posts
    10,396
    Thanked
    13,180 times
    Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

    United States

    48
    1 20 goal season between the two.
    Platano Power
    You Fuck With Me You Fucking With The Best

  10. #10
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,138 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    The infamous Falcao did brilliantly with Atleti too. Honestly La Liga is similar to the Dutch league where you just can't tell the true level of a striker because of the non-existence of a defence and competition(!) as well in the league.

  11. #11
    Kakaroto's Avatar
    Join Date
    26 Dec 10
    Posts
    10,396
    Thanked
    13,180 times
    Fav. Player
    Taribo & Kallon
    Old name
    Black Jesus

    United States

    48
    Infamous Falcao? Did you learn of Falcao when he moved to United or something? He had been banging goals for ages and was a big player at River, he moved to Europe with little fan fare because he dealt with knee injuries.
    Platano Power
    You Fuck With Me You Fucking With The Best


  12. #12
    Wings's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Aug 13
    Posts
    3,180
    Thanked
    5,077 times

    Marshall Islands

    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    The infamous Falcao did brilliantly with Atleti too. Honestly La Liga is similar to the Dutch league where you just can't tell the true level of a striker because of the non-existence of a defence and competition(!) as well in the league.
    That's almost certainly not true... Barcelona and RM are definitely streaks ahead of the other teams in terms of quality (maybe except for Atletico), but that doesn't mean the other teams are bad, defensively or otherwise.

  13. Thanks (2): Kakaroto, thatdude

  14. #13
    ADRossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 10
    Posts
    7,100
    Thanked
    9,252 times
    Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

    Netherlands

    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    The infamous Falcao
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jesus View Post
    Infamous Falcao?
    I believe this is in reference to "Falcao's Law"

    Re: Icardi; is his lack of ability to play counter attacking football/be an effective dribbler a bigger issue in Spain or Italy? I would argue in Spain this would be bigger a problem.

    @Javier's Son, I think you're underestimating La Liga. There is a reason they continue to do well in all European leagues. Sevilla, Bilbao, Valencia, Villarreal have all had seasons in which they were far superior to most English and German teams.

    I'll pick a winner at some point tomorrow and we can see what question they pose.

  15. #14
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,138 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    I think people are overlooking how La Liga as whole is badly structured. Barcelona and Madrid are leaps ahead of the pack (and in Europe), not because they as clubs are run in a great way (like Bayern), on the opposite side, they are horribly run by both sets of management and still dominate easily. That's due to the bias they receive(ed) up till now or in the past, be it from referees or the FA itself. Some might say I'm being unrealistic here or leaning to the conspiracy theories trend but that's what I believe.

    Do you guys know that's it's legal for team Y (e.g. Madrid) to award money for team X (Getafe) if they won against team Z (Barca)! Now there was never a case that has gone on record but the fact that it exists is ridiculous. Moreover, people always complain about Serie A - rightfully - and how corrupt it is but neglect the fuckery that goes on in Spain (match fixing, players not getting paid etc), and that's mainly because of how bad the TV deal is and how it favours the big two. On a side note, what Atleti have been able to manage the last few years is nothing short of extraordinary. I stand by what I said that I think La Liga is a pathetic excuse of a "competitive" league.

    @Javier's Son, I think you're underestimating La Liga. There is a reason they continue to do well in all European leagues. Sevilla, Bilbao, Valencia, Villarreal have all had seasons in which they were far superior to most English and German teams.
    Now as I mentioned what Atleti has done in Europe is amazing, but when looking at the EL I don't think it says anything about the strength of the Spanish teams or their league. What it does tell me is that Spanish clubs like Sevilla and those of similar caliber who have done well in recent years reaching the latter stages of the competition, have done so just because they don't care about the league and know it's highly unlikely for them to do anything, resting players in the league for the EL only happens in Spain. Fuckin Sevilla have won their third EL title in a row having not managed a single away win all season!
    Last edited by Javier'sSon; 25 May 16 at 13:13. Reason: conspiracy = controversy

  16. #15
    Dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Jul 08
    Posts
    22,912
    Thanked
    20,689 times
    Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

    Ireland

    13
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRossi View Post
    Re: Icardi; is his lack of ability to play counter attacking football/be an effective dribbler a bigger issue in Spain or Italy? I would argue in Spain this would be bigger a problem.
    I don't think Icardi can't play counter attacking. His goal vs Sampdoria I think proves that.

  17. #16
    Wings's Avatar
    Join Date
    24 Aug 13
    Posts
    3,180
    Thanked
    5,077 times

    Marshall Islands

    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Javier'sSon View Post
    I think people are overlooking how La Liga as whole is badly structured. Barcelona and Madrid are leaps ahead of the pack (and in Europe), not because they as clubs are run in a great way (like Bayern), on the opposite side, they are horribly run by both sets of management and still dominate easily. That's due to the bias they receive(ed) up till now or in the past, be it from referees or the FA itself. Some might say I'm being unrealistic here or leaning to the conspiracy theories trend but that's what I believe.

    Do you guys know that's it's legal for team Y (e.g. Madrid) to award money for team X (Getafe) if they won against team Z (Barca)! Now there was never a case that has gone on record but the fact that it exists is ridiculous. Moreover, people always complain about Serie A - rightfully - and how corrupt it is but neglect the fuckery that goes on in Spain (match fixing, players not getting paid etc), and that's mainly because of how bad the TV deal is and how it favours the big two. On a side note, what Atleti have been able to manage the last few years is nothing short of extraordinary. I stand by what I said that I think La Liga is a pathetic excuse of a "competitive" league.



    Now as I mentioned what Atleti has done in Europe is amazing, but when looking at the EL I don't think it says anything about the strength of the Spanish teams or their league. What it does tell me is that Spanish clubs like Sevilla and those of similar caliber who have done well in recent years reaching the latter stages of the competition, have done so just because they don't care about the league and know it's highly unlikely for them to do anything, resting players in the league for the EL only happens in Spain. Fuckin Sevilla have won their third EL title in a row having not managed a single away win all season!
    Source for the bold? (curiosity)

    You attribute RM and Barcelona's dominance to conspiracies, but isn't it more likely that footballing dominance and referee help is caused by the TV money? I don't think it's a surprise that big teams across Europe are accused of refereeing help, because referees are humans and subconsciously inclined to favor big teams, even if there is no corruption. Hopefully things will be more equal with the new TV deal La Liga has signed.

    As for the EL...it's the classic 'it's only because they care more about EL' argument. What makes you think Sevilla didn't care about La Liga at all? Even if they can't win the title, surely there's still an incentive in 4th place? Emery finished 3rd place for consecutive seasons as Valencia's manager – do you really think he cares only about EL and not at all about La Liga? Ridiculous argument. Did you think he didn't care about La Liga when he finished one point off CL spots last season while winning EL? Do you think Villarreal didn't care about La Liga despite qualifying for CL and making it to EL semifinals? Do you think Athletic Bilbao didn't care about La Liga despite finishing 2 points off CL spots and bowing out in EL quarterfinals on penalties?

    You claim that Sevilla winning EL despite finishing 7th in Spain is proof that they only cared about EL. I see the opposite. What does it say about the rest of Europe that a side that finishes only 7th in Spain can do so well in Europe?

    Maybe you are right that the basement dwellers in Spain are worse than those in Italy. I don't really have anything to say otherwise. But the data clearly suggest that when it comes to 1st~7th place teams or so, La Liga is miles ahead of other leagues in terms of quality. Hardly something like Eredivisie.

  18. #17
    ADRossi's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jul 10
    Posts
    7,100
    Thanked
    9,252 times
    Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

    Netherlands

    94
    I'll go ahead and give this round to Wings. Your turn.

  19. #18
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked
    4,138 times
    Fav. Player
    thank mr icardi

    Holy See

    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Source for the bold? (curiosity)
    I've heard about it on a podcast and after googling it seems like it's illegal but is a hot topic quite an issue in Spain (with obvious denying from the parties involved). It does support my point that people overlook the integrity of the league when even you haven't even heard about it before.

    http://www.espnfc.com/spanish-primer...tletico-madrid

    Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post

    But the data clearly suggest that when it comes to 1st~7th place teams or so
    No it does not, it only suggests a micro perspective (a team's case) rather than macro (the league) or whatever angle you're viewing it from. Kudos to you for looking up examples and strengthening your argument, I'm sure I could nitpick some of them and provide some of my own to support my side of the argument but I'm not going to because I'm a sexy, lazy bastard.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    La Liga is miles ahead of other leagues in terms of quality. Hardly something like Eredivisie.
    I did not say anything or compare between the quality of said leagues. I did say that they're both similar on how misleading strikers or goal-scores (usually strikers) and their stats could be because of the disparity in strength between the big two and the rest (most of the rest if you want to be specific) and the lack of defensive organisation. I might have exaggerated in saying the defence is non existent but compared to the other big leagues I'd comfortably say it's quite shite.

  20. #19
    crzdcolombian's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 07
    Posts
    8,565
    Thanked
    3,199 times
    Fav. Player
    Murillo

    Colombia

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Jesus View Post
    Infamous Falcao? Did you learn of Falcao when he moved to United or something? He had been banging goals for ages and was a big player at River, he moved to Europe with little fan fare because he dealt with knee injuries.
    Raneri broke him at Monaco because they were going to get eliminated from the French cup by a fking 4th division team. Some fking carpenter who wasn't even a semi pro player shattered the dudes leg. Monaco lost 60 million euros on the player + 15 million euro a season on his wages because their brilliant coach is a fing retard!!!

    As for player not scoring a lot in our league. Did Higuan ever score 35 in Spain?
    can we stop buying fking MFs!!!

  21. #20
    Dylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    20 Jul 08
    Posts
    22,912
    Thanked
    20,689 times
    Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

    Ireland

    13
    You can't blame Ranieri for playing one of his players. That could have happened in any game.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •