Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: General Football Debates

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

VAR is undeniably a good thing. Especially for us, as last couple of seasons, it seemed impossible for us to get awarded a penalty. Last year we got five in total, this year we have two already, after just three games.

Anyhow, the only thing that's bothering me is why didn't they review SPAL's situation. Even if the ref is 100% sure about the decision it still leaves an impression that VAR is used in favour of the big teams, and if the point of the system is to bring clarity and justice, then this way refs are making it work against itself.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. Itís never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. Itís a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    ó Massimo Moratti

2. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Fav. Player
    Miranda

Italy

it was very weird cause it was pretty obvious that the foul was inside the area. i can understand that the referee didn't see it, even though it was a serious mistake, but why was mazzoleni (the var dude) so unsure?

maybe he thought he wasn't a foul? but the ref didn't question it, only the position.

i feel reassured by var, it sets things straight, but 5 minutes? still, i'll take the var. but they must be quick.
    Last edited by firmino; 11 Sep 17 at 08:45.
    My username has nothing to do with the player of loserpool fc, it is just a reference to an Italian novel.

4. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Fav. Player
    Solskjśr

India

18 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings View Post
    Reviving this thread because it was a good idea, and I'm curious about your opinions. Has VAR been good or bad idea? Obviously greater accuracy is a worthy goal, but is it worth the pause in the matches? Thought it would be interesting to ask because while some teams might have been robbed, we did benefit from it against SPAL.

And for the sake of making this interesting let's leave out stuff about referees abusing VAR to make bad calls. If there's incompetence or corruption, that's an issue with referees, not with VAR.
    In Bundesliga there was hardly any delay. I think Bayern got penalty against Leverkusen, Ref completely missed it and game was still on. Few seconds later (5-10) ref just pointed to the spot. Loved the way Bundesliga used it.

Also this week, Dortmund player was caught above ankle and was given yellow but when the player was still on the ground ref changed the decision to red. It was done quick enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I think the point is theres a fine line between comming across as a learned individual and comming across as a bit of a wanker, and utilising every corner of your vocabulary on a global internet football forum with people many of whom don't have don't have english as their first language makes you come across as the latter.

6. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Fav. Player
    Milito

Somalia

VAR is great but what need to be changed is let fans in the stadium see the incident on the big screen instead of only the referee.

8. Thanks (1): ScottishInterista

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by firmino View Post
    it was very weird cause it was pretty obvious that the foul was inside the area. i can understand that the referee didn't see it, even though it was a serious mistake, but why was mazzoleni (the var dude) so unsure?

maybe he thought he wasn't a foul? but the ref didn't question it, only the position.

i feel reassured by var, it sets things straight, but 5 minutes? still, i'll take the var. but they must be quick.
    Not sure if that is the case but the commentator of the station where i was watching the game said that if the initial judgement by the ref gets altered through usage of the VAR the ref then has to go to the screen on the side line to see for him selfe. Not sure if thats true but that would partially explain why so much time was wasted.
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

10. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Marshall Islands

Quote Originally Posted by firmino View Post

If I have to give the referee the benefit of the doubt I think he was trying to see if it was a dive or not.

Yeah I wouldn't have a problem at all in the example that monster mentioned. It's like goal-line technology. Play simply continues until someone alerts the referee that there's been a foul. But in the opposite case, suppose a team is attacking and getting close to goal, and the referee halts for a foul. But VAR shows there to be nothing, and now all the attacking momentum for that team is gone. Seems a bit harsh for that team through no fault of their own.

I guess my question isn't really whether VAR is good or not, because I think I agree with most of you in that VAR is good, but what's the best way to avoid delays like that.

12. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Fav. Player
    Handanovic

United States

They'll work out the kinks and start to streamline it a bit. The speed of the reviews should be remedied pretty quickly I think - what will be tough to administer will be consistency on when and when not to go to the VAR. What is and should be reviewable and when will be the toughest part of the implementation. The rest of the issues I think should be pretty easily resolved.

14. Thanks (1): Adriano@10