Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 815161718

Thread: General Football Debates

Fav. Player
    ur mom
    Old name
    icardiscores

Slovenia

91 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Optimistic Member Most Passionate Member
    ^^I remember EURO 2000 like it was yesterday...first time Slovenia managed to get to a big tourney...as a 9 year old that shit stuck...also remember the above posted game too

also FIGAAAWWW! I thought that was the best goal ever scored haha...I was stoked,wanted him at Inter after that...and Toldo as well,he destroyed the Netherlands by himself lol...uncle MM thought the same as well...luckily! great great memories

2. Thanks (1): MVD

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Slovenias group in Euro 2000 was one of the best of all time, in terms of football provided by underdogs and probably overall.

4. Thanks (2): JJM, MVD

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

So now you know why Spalletti was adamant about short corners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

6. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, firmino, thatdude

Italy

Interesting. Our corners were utter crap under spalletti though.
    My username has nothing to do with the player of liverpool fc, it is a reference to an Italian novel.

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

13 10 years of FIF
    Was going to link that when I saw the Eriksen statistic and how disappointed we would be if that 1% rumour of him arriving were true.
    david mcgoldrick

9. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

It's so weird. He can deliver a killer vertical pass mid game, but his corners are shit.
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Greece

There shouldn't be a debate about it. Each club has a different job description for its DoF. Different hierarchies and different responsbilities.
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda

Conte uomo di merda

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Yeah, like a CTO. Each company has different structure, processes, hierarchies and responsibilities yet CTOs generally tend to do the same fucking thing. I mean come on. Both are about the technical side of things, not marketing and not finance. They both build the "product". Why are you so dead set on muddying the water on the subject. It was Ausilio, now its Marotta. They can overlap or interchange sometimes but the one that shapes the squad and takes the responsibility is or at least should be is a single person.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. Itís never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. Itís a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    ó Massimo Moratti

14. Thanks (1): MVD

Greece

If you see the video you will see confusion in the terms. It interchanges Sporting Director and Director of Football, which is false.

Also, it's a very modern concept in European football and not everyone uses the same terms. A sporting director in Italy and France for example reports to the DoF, whilst a DoF reports to the sporting director in England and Spain. Or you could see the same 'confusions' exist within nations.
    Sometimes the SD is an executive director, other times the DoF is an executive director. It depends on the club's structure. This isn't a C*O position where hierarchy is clear. Sometimes you only have one of them and the name doesn't even matter. In England for example a sporting director is not something commonly used as this was supposed to be the "manager's" position. In Italy the "manager" is not the "coach" and a "coach" is just a coach, not the head coach. In Italy for example both the SD and the DoF are "dirigenti sportivi". Meaning that their role is to be directors at sports clubs, doesn't really explain hierarchy or job description on its own.
    In the Greek speaking world where this is also a very new term and job role, we use the "technical director" and "director of football" terms. The technical director has the job description of the DoF as you have it in mind (ie, he's the boss of transfers, staff, players etc) and the DoF just oversees the team's needs (ie is in charge of having the right equipment, makes sure the bus is on time and is considered part of the team and not part of the decision making board). You could say that one is the DoF and the other is the team manager if it were in another country, but they will introduce themselves as TD and DoF.

It's a global sport, not based in the English language (like basketball is for example) and terminology varies. If you don't apply context to these terms they mean nothing.

For Inter, we have this, which clears things up (I hope) :

There are no translations in Italian for the CMO, CCO and CFO. But you have Ausilio as Direttore Sportivo. Then this translates in English as Chief Sport Officer. I don't think that's a very popular term in football, I'd be surprised if many clubs used this term for any of their high level employees acting as DoF or SD or whatever.
    At the same time, we have Marotta clearly supervising him as the CEO- Sport, whereas the others do not seem to have a boss other than Antonello.

Conte uomo di merda

16. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Marotta is now Ausilio's boss, I see no confusion here and nothing to be cleared. He was the "Administratore Delegato Sport" or whatever you want to call it before Sabatini and Marotta himself came here to displace him and create a "new" position for him, practically occupying a level above him and letting him carry his previous title.

And to circle back to what I wanted to say, cause people are using those titles as excuses for Ausilio. He is the sole person to blame for our abysmal transfer policy in the recent years. He carries the title and respectively carries the responsibility for how our technical strategy fleshes out. Obviously he was demoted basically with the club searching for a better strategist in Sabatini and now Marotta, who is a multifaceted individual, as we all are, but now he is at the helm of the technical strategy as well as probably many other things.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. Itís never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. Itís a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    ó Massimo Moratti

18. Thanks (1): MVD

Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Wobblz View Post
    And to circle back to what I wanted to say, cause people are using those titles as excuses for Ausilio. He is the sole person to blame for our abysmal transfer policy in the recent years. He carries the title and respectively carries the responsibility for how our technical strategy fleshes out.
    This is the fallacy right there.

How can Ausilio be blamed if during his tenure the owner thought he knows best and overridden his choices? It occurred under both Thohir and Suning. And under Suning he also was not the "sole person" as he was under Sabatini and now Marotta or freaking Kia in 3/4 seasons.

The only mercato that you can fully credit him with is the last one. De Vrij, Asamoah, Lautaro Martinez, Matteo Politano and Sime Vrsaljko. With Radja Nainggolan being Spalletti's first and only choice. Otherwise we'd be going for Barella back then, possibly for 30-35 as well in total, if it were entirely up to Ausilio. We may also consider that one of the two free transfers had Sabatini's mark as well, but he left too soon to be credited either player. I mean he resigned the day that De Vrij agreed to our deal, I doubt that he had that much to do with him and Asamoah was done much after.

Anything prior to that season he had not much to do with as the leading figure. He was like a chief of scouting with extended responsibilities that included "follow whatever the coach wants". Still seems to be the job description.

Conte uomo di merda

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

So you're basically saying he had as much of a say on transfer dealings as you and me? Come on dude. Even if it wasn't all on him he HAS to take the blame.
    ó Massimo Moratti

21. Thanks (1): MVD

Greece

You say he has to take all the blame. The sole person to blame.

That is absurd and not in accordance with basic facts that the protagonists have publicly stated.

Does he share part of the blame? Of course he does. But branding him as the scapegoat ignoring everyone else is defeating the purpose.

The only failed transfer he has most blame on is Dalbert but I don't think he said he's a must buy that Sabatini insisted on chasing and upping our bid to a 20m valuation. Ausilio made something like a 6m bid and Nice was like "maybe we could agree on 8". Then for some odd reason his valuation skyrocketed. Maybe Ausilio pushed for it all the way, maybe not. Sabatini was handling the transfer at that point.