Results 981 to 1,000 of 1312

Thread: 2016/2017 Defenders Rumour Thread

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

91 Forum Supporter Most Pessimistic Member
    Talk about a Manolas-Murillo swap deal surfaced today actually...just heard from my Roma-Sass commentator

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter Most Improved Member
    Vrsajilko just tore his ACL, if we were ever considering getting him we wont get him this summer
    Quote Originally Posted by moii View Post
    Well said, you have to remind yourself tho that half this forum is either working at Mc Donalds or live in their mom and dads basement feeding of Fifa.

3. Thanks (1): thatdude

Fav. Player
    Criscito

Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    Talk about a Manolas-Murillo swap deal surfaced today actually...just heard from my Roma-Sass commentator
    I'm guessing Roma would prefer cash
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    The problem with this kind of site in english is the international brand of supporters from non-footballers or non-top-footballer countries..
    You see people from Colombia, Oceania, Ireland(i think) pretending that at least ONCE in their life they saw a young wc talent arriving and becoming a world star.

Just a idea: if you want a serious debate about football, you should block everybody from countries that NEVER will win nothing and NEVER will have a balon d'or, for example.
    Whats the point about those guys opinions??? Can i go to some New Zealand chat and start to teach them how to recognize the better wc prospects among young Rugby players?
    Again, if you NEVER saw a young wc prospect struggling in his first years, like Kaka or Ronaldinho who were booed by they local supporters here, how could you judge????

Fav. Player
    The Bro

Italy

I would rather keep Murillo than have De Vrij. Not sure how I feel about swapping for Manolas though. Wouldn't it be better to have both so Manolas can replace Miranda in the starting line-up?
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

Canada

Miranda is much better than Murillo though so not sure why we would replace Miranda but start Murillo.

Fav. Player
    The Bro

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by CoolMan44 View Post
    Miranda is much better than Murillo though so not sure why we would replace Miranda but start Murillo.
    He's not getting any younger, eventually we will have to phase him out
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

8. Thanks (1): thatdude

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

devrij is the dutch guy that is an actual defender right? as oppposed to these fucking ball playing, net hugging, whatever fucking modern defenders they call. And wasnt he in his mid 20s?

- - - Updated - - -

why wouldnt we want him
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    I did some thinking over the bench issue. I think when a player is benched, it can make them think more.

10. Thanks (2): morrisama, _OC_

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    devrij is the dutch guy that is an actual defender right? as oppposed to these fucking ball playing, net hugging, whatever fucking modern defenders they call. And wasnt he in his mid 20s?

why wouldnt we want him
    I hear ya, mate. I too miss the classic defenders, uncomplicated players like Samuel or Nesta who just stopped attacks. Nowadays they want the CBs to be registas which is great, but players are forgetting the basic art of defending. The so called ball-playing greats of today (Bonucci, Stones, David Luiz, etc) cost a bomb but can't defend half as well as the likes of Samuel or Nesta.

Fav. Player
    Vieri*

Nigeria

29 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    I hear ya, mate. I too miss the classic defenders, uncomplicated players like Samuel or Nesta who just stopped attacks. Nowadays they want the CBs to be registas which is great, but players are forgetting the basic art of defending. The so called ball-playing greats of today (Bonucci, Stones, David Luiz, etc) cost a bomb but can't defend half as well as the likes of Samuel or Nesta.
    This has been my MAJOR complaint about the quality of football today. The top defenders of today are HUGE shit in comparison to the monsters of the late nineties. Yes, I'm old enough to have witnessed it, I wish the young ones could have as well. The awareness back then was off the charts, it was like they had spider senses or some shit. Fucking millenial footballers.
    "A Black Hearted Slave, For The Blue Blood Kings, Bleeding For The Team, And The Titles They Bring"

Forza Inter
    *CAMPIONE DEL MONDO* 2009//2010
    -- COPPA ITALIA -- SERIE A -- UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE --
    -- SUPER COPPA ITALIANA -- FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP --

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter Most Improved Member
    Its because few kid grows up wanting to be the next Nesta, Maldini or Samuel, they want to be next Ronaldinho, Ronaldo or Messi
    Quote Originally Posted by moii View Post
    Well said, you have to remind yourself tho that half this forum is either working at Mc Donalds or live in their mom and dads basement feeding of Fifa.

Fav. Player
    Miranda

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishInterista View Post
    Its because few kid grows up wanting to be the next Nesta, Maldini or Samuel, they want to be next Ronaldinho, Ronaldo or Messi
    My idol as a kid was Bergomi.
    My username has nothing to do with the player of loserpool fc, it is just a reference to an Italian novel.

15. Thanks (2): MVD, Pimpin

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

mine was Toldooooneee,Kahn,P.Schmeichel,then JC,now Handa and Oblak...son,did I tell ya I was a goalie ?!

17. Thanks (1): MVD

Marshall Islands

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishInterista View Post
    Also because there's been a trend towards more system-oriented defending that doesn't require as much individual greatness.

19. Thanks (2): Dylan, MVD

United States

Best Football Poster Nicest Poster
    I think defenders these days also aren't helped out by the way teams set up. There's a good amount of teams now (ours included) that don't play with a traditional DM. Many teams especially due to the dominance of Barcelona have decided attacking should be the primary focus over defending.

Teams that still set up defensively have CBs that look great, like Godin at Atletico or the Juventus trio. Our CBs during the treble year looked great, then Benitez came in and made us play a higher line, and then Leonardo came in and made us play suicidal. All of a sudden those same defenders that went to the Camp Nou and held out with 10 men give up 5 at home to Schalke.

I would say the lack of quality CBs is equally down to the shift in managers thinking and what they expect from their CBs. We are no different, we play Medel at CB partly due to his ability on the ball. Could you imagine a team in 1997 playing with Medel as a CB? I can't. My overall point is that CBs haven't just changed the entire game has changed. CBs have adapted to be more suitable for "modern" football. Blame the coaches for expecting them to all pass like Xabi Alonso.

21. Thanks (3): Adriano@10, Dylan, firmino

Fav. Player
    Italian Beckham
    Old name
    EEeyOO

Europe

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    mine was Toldooooneee,Kahn,P.Schmeichel,then JC,now Handa and Oblak...son,did I tell ya I was a goalie ?!

Just read the 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candreva Crosses View Post
    But seriously, things can only go upwards for him now even more with a coach that fucking made Salah look good. Lets hope my name can be looked at as something positive for the season 17/18.

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Yugoslavia

Quote Originally Posted by Candreva Crosses View Post

Just read the 1.
    8th one is yours buddy... don't deny it

24. Thanks (2): KevinB, ScottishInterista

Wallace
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
    Could you imagine a team in 1997 playing with Medel as a CB? I can't. My overall point is that CBs haven't just changed the entire game has changed. CBs have adapted to be more suitable for "modern" football. Blame the coaches for expecting them to all pass like Xabi Alonso.
    It did happen.

Salvatore Fresi, and he did great when Bergomi was gone. He was just a DM.
    Wallace

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    It did happen.

Salvatore Fresi, and he did great when Bergomi was gone. He was just a DM.
    Sure, but Fresi was 6 foot, Medel is 5'7.

Wallace
    Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    OK, so the point is that it did happen.

Medel case is different, it cannot be classified as the general modern football case, because what Pep did was that he still converted DM's who are reasonably physically sound. Medel just happens to be less than perfect for the central defender spot because of his height.
    Wallace

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    OK, so the point is that it did happen.

Medel case is different, it cannot be classified as the general modern football case, because what Pep did was that he still converted DM's who are reasonably physically sound. Medel just happens to be less than perfect for the central defender spot because of his height.
    There is always an exception to the rule. The point is that it's far more popular an idea now than it was 20 years ago. Not sure what you're not getting here?