View Poll Results: Should Liverpool be allowed to defend their title?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 39.29%
  • No

17 60.71%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Should Liverpool be allowed to defend their title?

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF

Should Liverpool be allowed to defend their title?

Can please add a poll?? I don't think the epl should get an extra spot for me its either LFC or Everton. To they shouldn't be allowed.

Pressure mounts for Uefa to re-think
    Posted on 26 May 2005 - 20:08

Rafael Benitez © Getty ImagesNew European champions Liverpool paraded their hard-won trophy before jubilant fans in their home city on Thursday, as pressure mounted on Uefa to let the club defend their title next season.

To get the latest Premiership scores, simply SMS the letters SPREM to 34911 and the day's final scores will be sent to your cellphone. This is a SuperSMS service and costs just R2 per SMS.

A crowd estimated to be around 300 000 strong lined the 10-mile (16-kilometre) route towards the Anfield stadium as the victorious side travelled through in a red, open-top bus emblazoned with the words: "Liverpool FC, Champions of Europe 2005".

In one of the most dramatic European finals ever seen, underdogs Liverpool won the cup on penalties against AC Milan after somehow pegging back a 0-3 half-time deficit to 3-3.

Around 30 000 Liverpool fans travelled to Istanbul to support their team, and many times more that number could be seen crushed into the streets, on roofs, traffic lights and balconies or hanging off the entrance gates at Anfield to welcome the team home.

As the parade began - well after its 6.30 pm (1730 GMT) scheduled start - manager Rafael Benitez, inspirational captain Steven Gerrard and the rest of the team took turns to stand at the front of the bus with the Champions League trophy, waving to the crowd.

But amid the joy, there was growing anger against the decision by Uefa to stick by rules which bar Liverpool from defending the trophy which the club won for the fifth time.

Britain's government got involved in the row, with Sports Minister Richard Caborn contacting European football's governing body to argue it would be "a travesty" if Liverpool were excluded.

The Merseysiders' fifth place finish in the English Premiership means they have not qualified for next season's competition according to the Uefa rule book, as title-holders do not automatically defend the trophy.

Uefa spokesman William Gaillard said that despite the emotion, the organisation had no plans to change its rules.

Gaillard highlighted the precedent set in the 2000-01 season, when Real Madrid defended the cup after finishing fifth only because the Spanish football federation decided to hand them Real Zaragoza's place.

"The rules are what they are," Gaillard told BBC Radio.

"It is a tough decision to make but it is not for us to make, it is for the (English) FA and they told us Everton would be the fourth English club.

Caborn said the government and FA were pressing the issue.

"I have raised the matter with Uefa's chief executive Lars-Christer Olsson and said it would be a travesty if Liverpool were not allowed to play in next year's competition, particularly after such an amazing final," Caborn said.

"They should re-think this issue and I think they will have to.

Nothing is set in stone and it seems only right that the winners should have automatic re-entry rather than having to qualify through the domestic system. It is only common sense."

Earlier Thursday, Welsh champions TNS said they would offer to play Liverpool in a one-off match, and forfeit their place in next season's Champions League first round qualifying draw if they lost.

As well as offerring Liverpool a lifeline, this would bring the tiny Welsh side far greater financial returns than playing a another European minnow.

However, Football Association of Wales secretary general David Collins said later this was impossible, and warned TNS they must enter the competition or else lose their place to another Welsh side.

Reaction to the stunning Liverpool victory - described by British Prime Minister Tony Blair as "unbelievable, incredible, brilliant" - continued to pour in.

Queen Elizabeth added her own message after flying back from a visit to Canada, calling the win "remarkable" in a message of congratulations.

Earlier Thursday the victorious team's plane had touched down in Liverpool, with Benitez and Gerrard walking down the steps carrying the trophy between them to cheers from airport workers.

One of the Spanish manager's first jobs will be to convince inspirational skipper Gerrard to stay at Liverpool, his home-town club.

Gerrard sparked the Istanbul fightback with a marvellous header shortly after the restart and, following their second goal by Vladimir Smicer, he was brought down for the penalty kick six minutes later which allowed Xabi Alonso to equalise at 3-3.

Much of Liverpool was nursing a hangover on Thursday, with an organisation representing private businesses estimating that 20 percent of the city's workforce had taken the day off work.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

No Plans To Change Rules - Uefa
    5/26/2005 11:47:00 AM
    Uefa have insisted that they have no plans to change the rules which prevent Liverpool defending the Champions League.
    The Reds claimed the trophy after a penalty shoot-out win over Milan on Wednesday night, but as they didnít finish in the top four in the Premiership, they do not have an automatic right to re-enter the competition next season.

"The rules are what they are," Uefa spokesman William Gaillard told Radio Five Live. "They were used already once when Real Madrid won...and actually were not among the qualifiers in the Spanish league.

"The Spanish FA told us they would replace the fourth-placed team - Real Zaragoza - with Real Madrid. It is a tough decision to make but it is not for us to make, it is for the FA and they told us Everton would be the fourth English club.

"Rules are rules and they were passed for a very good reason."
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Syria

10 years of FIF
    yeh lets just change the rules for god sakes, if liverpool deserve to be in they would not of finished 40 something points behind Chelsea!!!!

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

I'm reading the Regulations of the UEFA Champions League right now and in paragraph 1.03, it says

At the request of the national association concerned, the UEFA Champions League title-holders may be entered for this competition, as an additional representative of that association, if they have not qualified for the UEFA Champions League via the top domestic league championship. If, in such a case, the title-holders come from an association entitled to enter four teams for the UEFA Champions League, the fourth-placed club in the top domestic league championship has to be entered for the UEFA Cup.

Thus, as the ruling has been set in stone, the only way Liverpool should be allowed to defend their title is through the goodwill of the English Premier League.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Syria

10 years of FIF
    so Tim, you post would mean its at the expense of the toffees?

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by helal25
    Yeah The Fa have to pick between the 2 like Spanish Fa did between madrid and zaragoza a few years back.
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Ofcourse not! A team who finishes almost 40 points below the champions on a fifth place have nothing to do in the C.L! They should not start to favour teams because it can get nasty!
    Noi non siamo gobbi ba$tardi

"In un mondo di puttane e oportunisti noi avevamo scelto la migliore; Addio Traditore!"

R.I.P Cipe

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Of Course Yes, they are the champions, and they have to defend their title.

The fact that they finished so far behind Chelsea is irrelevant. They won it all, and that's enough of a reason for them to be allowed to defend their title.

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I belive that Liverpool should be given a chance to defend the Champions League trophy, which they have tried very hard, and succeeded, in winning. They have worked hard, and made a beautiful come-back against Milan, which is definitely not easy.

On the other hand, if allowing Liverpool means excluding Everton, then it would be very unfair. Everton have worked hard throughout the whole season, and have obtained the CL spot, which they deserved.

Therefore, I belive Everton should be in the CL, and Liverpool, very unfortunately, have to live with the fact that they have not done well enough in the EPL to warrant a CL spot.

Whatever the case, Grazie Liverpool!

I can't say that enough.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Hamed
    Of Course Yes, they are the champions, and they have to defend their title.

The fact that they finished so far behind Chelsea is irrelevant. They won it all, and that's enough of a reason for them to be allowed to defend their title.
    If they can win the cl they should be good enough to finish in the top 4. They should have earned it they did not. They knew from the start only the top 4 go to the cl.
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Syria

10 years of FIF
    at the start of each season, Uefa and the FA of any country decide on a set of rules.

Each team knows those rules, so did Liverpool.

They knew anything under 4th means no champions league, if they didnt lose such games such as Blackburn and Crystal Palace, everything would be different.

So they can blame no one but themselves.

We cant change the rules jsut to accomedate them.

Bahrain

Ofcourse not and believe me this is even good for Liverpool.

First of all this happened before and the rules werent changed for Real Madrid at the time.

Second they knew this all the time...just because they won doesnt mean anything,u cant strip the CL spot from Everton who worked their ass off for it...

Believe me this is good for Liverpool to seriously play on one front and really challenge for the EPL title next year,especially now that they have the funds to buy a couple of really good players.

By the way if u noticed Liverpool were really bad after CL games,like it wasnt the same team and it was those games they suffered so this might just be a blessing in disguise for them,plus no one in this modern era would win 2 CL's in a row.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Greece

83 10 years of FIF
    Of course not.Rules shouldn't change.
    INTER PER SEMPRE!

RUBE MERDA

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by helal25
    Yes, unless the English FA decides that Liverpool deserve the 4th spot more than Everton, there is no way Liverpool can stake a claim to be in the Champions League. Like others have mentioned, they knew very well that winning the Champions League in a season is one thing, but qualifying for the next is another. If they have not, over the course of a season, been worthy enough to clinch 4th spot, then there is no reason why they are even worthy to participate next season. Sure, they were the best team in Europe this season, but they haven't even been the best in their domestic league. What's the point in proving that you're the best against other top nations around the continent when you couldn't better 4 other clubs in your own league over the course of a long season?

Therefore, Everton deserve the qualifying spot as they have worked harder toward that aim. Liverpool's aim was to win the Champions League - however, they fell way short of qualifying for next season's competition. Thus, we may symphatize with their plight but there is no way the rules should be bent, even for winners.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

They won the CL thanks to one man, Rafa Bentiez, the greatest coach right now. He just overtook Mourniho in my eyes as the best coach. To win La Liga twice despite Real, the UEFA cup last year, and the CL this year, all that with mediocre squads, you are a legend.

Liverpool aren't in the top 4 because of the EPL style, and I will not say a bad thing about the EPL for a month now. Benitez though has to figure out a way to win there, so a year off maybe good. However, I think they should be given the chance to defend their title.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    This question, which most of the media have used in questioning important football figures, is very misleading and vague IMO. As a temporary Liverpool fan, I definitely think that they should be allowed to defend it. But the biggest and most important question is how or what method should be used to allow Liverpool defend the title next season. I do not see it as completely unfair for the English FA to rob Everton's spot and giving it to Liverpool as the Spanish FA have done the same to Real Madrid in 99/00.

But to take an 'inferior' league's spot, as some of the media here have suggested, will be a terrible act of injustice as these nations have nothing to do with England or Liverpool. Even if the club mentioned is willing to forsake their spot for Liverpool, it will also be unfair because this club will face another 'tiny' club and this 'tiny' club will then be at a huge disadvantage because they will face a much tougher opposition in Liverpool.

A friend of mine came across with the idea of having a playoff between Liverpool and Everton. While the idea is unfair, for me it is the best I have heard so far if they really think that Liverpool deserves to be in the Champions' League next season.

But as far as I am concern, Liverpool shouldn't be in the Champions' League next season. It is true that there is a 'hole' in the rule but it doesn't mean that the rule have to be changed during the course of the season. They should learn from this mistake and change the rule for the 06/07 edition of the Champions' League. Mistakes are alright, just don't repeat it.

Btw, I just want to comment that the defending champion doesn't have to always defend their cup. For example, if we win the UEFA Cup this season, does that mean that we have to defend it next season, forsaking our CL spot? Definitely no...

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    Btw, I just want to comment that the defending champion doesn't have to always defend their cup. For example, if we win the UEFA Cup this season, does that mean that we have to defend it next season, forsaking our CL spot? Definitely no...

Handyo
    Yeah of course, but the 2 competitions are wholly different. You're looking at it from a wrong angle. (Don style)

Anyways, why should Liverpool be allowed to defend their title? Like i mentioned in my previous post, they fully deserve their title this season, but seeing as they are unable to actually work hard enough to qualify for next season, then there should be no way they can be allowed to participate in the next edition of the Champions League.

Look at it this way, if Liverpool had not won the Champions League, then nobody would give a rat's ass about whether they can qualify next season or not. This whole debate only arises simply because they won the cup! However, if you take that away for a second, you can clearly see they do not deserve to even participate in the qualifying rounds. All this talk is only brought about because of emotional issues - Liverpool were deserving champions in a match that looked almost lost for them. However, we should not let that get to our heads - thankfully so, since only Hamed voted for as opposed to everyone else voting against.

Liverpool don't deserve to qualify next season, period. It would be more embarassing for them to sneak their way into the Champions League on virtue of favouritism or sympathy votes. Come on, the Champions League is already a farce, please don't make it the 5th Placed League.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Yeah, I'm sure the 72% that so far voted No were totally objective, and that if any other team was in the same situation, they would have voted the same
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Before you accuse us of anything Frisko, even if Inter is in Liverpool's shoe, I would vote no unless the FIGC chose us as the 4th team to represent Italy and not the 4th-placed club. As I have said, it is awfully unfair to give a country 5 spots in the Champions' League and it creates imbalance in the qualifiers.

Let me give you an example. Currently, let's say that there are 4 matches in the qualifier and the winner of each match will advance to the proper stage. Since there are 4 matches, there will be 8 teams facing each other.

A - B
    C - D
    E - F
    G - H

Now if Liverpool joins the qualifier, there will be 9 teams there. How would this situation be resolved? There is no other way other than to ask one of this 8 teams to play twice, once against Liverpool themselves. Wouldn't it be unfair for this team? They have nothing to do and they could care less about Liverpool but they have to play one extra leg, which would seriously disturb their pre-season programme, just to allow Liverpool inside the Champions' League.

The proposal that Fenerbahce should be dropped from those who have automatically qualified to allow Liverpool in will also create the similar situation.

Furthermore, let's even say that Liverpool in the end face Club H, which is a minow from a country called Takusakastan. If Liverpool indeed win that special qualifier, wouldn't it be unfair for Club G, who could have faced a team much easier than Liverpool?

So this is my final opinion, Liverpool should only be allowed in the Champions' League only if Everton is either dropped from it or they are made to play a play-off with Everton. It is unfair to Everton but there are no other choice since it will be a travesty if the English FA manage to pressure UEFA to jeopardise the Champions' League chances of a club from another country.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    from a country called Takusakastan
    Damn! Did the Stans have another kid, are they trying to overtake the world?

Seriously, the only thing that doesn't make sense is if Liverpool doesn't participate in the CL next year, that's travesty.

And for those who say even Brazil isn't guaranteed a spot in the WC next year, I say at least they get to participate in the qualification. What would happen if they aren't allowed to participate in the qualification of the next WC?

I am no fan of the EPL fan, but they deserve 5 spots in the next CL because they've earned it.