Page 45 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3542434445

Thread: Stocks

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    honestly, it's morons like that who invest far more than they can afford to lose in such stocks who end up becoming far left nutjobs
    Yea I don’t buy on Margin tho. I had a friend who refinanced his house to buy Apple stock. Worked out for him but could have totally fkd him hard in the ass

Tesla is 2020s bit coin frenzy!
    VAR is some serious Bullshit!

2. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    I just made 72% in 1 day

I wish I had invested more money yesterday but was like let me put 5k into sprint as rumors of the merger getting approved. It did now am super pumped.

Had 42k to invest only put in 5k. Still have a decent amount I am holding out for a decent dip in the market.

What do you guys do with your money on the sidelines? Keep it in a interest baring account. Or just put it In the sp500?

4. Thanks (1): Adriano@10

Fav. Player
    Diego Milito

Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post
    I just made 72% in 1 day

I wish I had invested more money yesterday but was like let me put 5k into sprint as rumors of the merger getting approved. It did now am super pumped.

Had 42k to invest only put in 5k. Still have a decent amount I am holding out for a decent dip in the market.

What do you guys do with your money on the sidelines? Keep it in a interest baring account. Or just put it In the sp500?
    Nice!

What's the best way for a beginner to try to learn about the stock market etc. Sounds like you guys are making a killing from it. Do you work for companies or would some of you be able to make a living just in your stock portfolios?

6. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsabu View Post
    Nice!

What's the best way for a beginner to try to learn about the stock market etc. Sounds like you guys are making a killing from it. Do you work for companies or would some of you be able to make a living just in your stock portfolios?
    Honestly the past 10 years have been insane in the stock market with everything going up 1,000%

My advice is to put money in your 401k especially if you get a company match.

You can then have a fk around account that you invest yourself. This is an amount you are williing to lose. That you can play around with.

Honestly when you are starting out you will be way more aggressive then when you have a lot already. I turned 10k into 100. Then when I got to 100 taking it to 200 took way longer as I wasn’t willing to do the same fk it investments. Then I switched my strategy was less aggressive.

8. Thanks (1): Harpsabu

Netherlands

So at what point do I cash out my 40% Microsoft return?

10. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRossi View Post
    don't sell but looking back at the 2nd post on here from me.... suck my dick to anyone who took any of my recommendations

Mostly winners other than the ones in bold

Currently own
    $155 -UTX - United Technologies - biggest company in my state make elevators and weapons for the army. Price seems to fluctuate between $95-115. Buy when its close to 100 and sell when it goes up. Nice dividend. With Trump def don't see this going down

I'm sorry down to 12 - GE - bastards left CT (my state for Boston) but still a great stock with a healthy dividend. Stock usually goes from $28-33 bucks a share

$185 it was defiantly under 100 at this point- MSFT - Sold all my apple stock and purchased MSFT feel they are more innovative and have way more room to grow. They just need to come out with a smart phone that doesn't suck

$90 - BBY - Best buy purchased it super cheap 2 years ago. My 1st job and if they go under the whole US economy will too

$117/$115 - Target/Walmart - same as above either of these places go out of business then no jobs in the US. World explodes or our money is useless. Tho I bought both of these when they had a credit card hack drama and there stocks tanked

$123/242(think It was 150-180 at the time) -Lowes/Home Depot - same as above with the credit card hack. Both are way too ever priced now

oil did not do well - Haliburton(HAL)/EXon Mobil(XOM)/COP - best oil companies but all are up 30-50% what they were when oil really tanked

$140 - Disney - all their movies even if they suck make 1 billion or close to it. Again over priced at almost 100 a share. I purchased it 3 years ago for 25 a share

$70 (this one more than doubled) - SNE - Sony. Playstation and huge movie company. With the new Spiderman movie coming think that can really push the stock to new heights. Also $6 off its year high of $34 at $28 bucks. Def would buy more

Watch list
    didn't buy it thought it would get takeover by Disney or Hasbro -Mattel (MAT) - maker of Barbie and a ton of other toys near their year low. About 23% its year long high and a decent dividend

made a lot of money when Amazon bought it -Whole foods (WFM) - where rich white people go to buy over priced food. Dividend isn't great but 1.5 years ago it was a $40-50 stock

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

Fun stuff. I decided to buy some tech stocks, and got charged 2% (which was hundreds of dollars), because my money was in Canadian dollars and not USD. Awesome!

I'm still in the green but pissed off that this didn't even cross my mind.

Why consider that... Microsoft's entire business model is just cloud services. They practically abandoned their OS.
    Team #Dare2Mazzari #Messi4Inter #Messi4AsadoClan

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsabu View Post
    Nice!

I m mainly trading stocks for a living but i also do it for other people and my personal portfolio even though it would be enough to live off it would also mean that it wont grow much on a yearly basis so i got some other side gigs.
    FIrst off read the best advice would be something in that graham buffet region so you get value stocks...
    Most importantly you need to learn that the Stock price in the short run should not be taken to serious and you might be wrong the initial 3 months but then be right the next 10 years. Example my FB share halfed in value the 3 month after i entered i kept on adding cause i believed my thesis and now i m up 500%+.
    Secondly understand that day trading equals gambling yes there are some great opportunities but a novice should really not do it. BAsicaly you need to be able to determine what is noise and what is actual material info to your investment.

Also learn what the multiples stand for and how they interact with growth of the companies so many retail investors who seemingly cant tell what an high or low P/e is actually telling them.....

If your interested in growth stocks check out chris haroun he was my prof in my finance master and used to run (co funder and partner) a VC (not sure if he still does), anyways he now has online courses on udemi and all i can say he helped me a lot when it comes to valuing IPO s and tech companies and he does it on a very simple basic level that everybody can understand.

Like crzd said ETF of 401k s can be smart but not sure you have that concept in ireland.
    Also generally speaking the market is rather overheating then anything else so it might not be the best time to enter. Also lean about risk reward trade offs so many pile into tesla these days completely ignoring the risk they are taking at current prices.

I still think it s a horrible time tp enter the market but to be fair i also did not buy slack or ddog because of it and missed on some juicy profits.

I would once again say do it now. There might still be some upside to this market but it aint much. I like msft a lot but a p/e(FWD) of 32 going into a recession is not gonna be sustainable imho. Although you could probably hold them through the recession and comm out with a 200+ sp some years down the road.

PS cloud services are also gonna suffer in a recession. Maybe dont sell em all but i d reduce your exposure.

I might sound like a pessimist but we hear the this time it s different story every god damn time were in a overheated market and it s never been different my money would be on it not being different this time around.

I shifted 40% into bonds and p2p finance back in september their doing quite well and surge every time the general market take a hit.
    I still got 40% in stocks but other than FB and PRX their defensive and paying dividend also alot of them are outside the us only got two us stocks left in my pofo in FB and BERK. The rest is mainly defensive swiss titles.

Fb i did not sell cause i have a very long horizon and compared to the other fangs FB is undervalued imho if we compare rev growth and p/e s. Berk B is just a defensive and very solid company and buffet is gonna feast once again in the next downturn with all the cash he has on hand so i m ok with taking a hit but therefor i ll also take the performance after the crash.

Also this has not been talked much in the media but the baltic index and the panamex index took huge hits since june and their pretty good recession predictors as they trace the cost freight ships charge. heres a link: https://www.bloomberg.com/quote/BDIY:IND.

we ve also seen that the first couple of q4/1 reports have been received very weirdly as in theres seemingly been harsh overreactions to a lot of results presented. Which again reeinforces my feeling that market expectations atm are sky high and not based in reality.
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

14. Thanks (3): crzdcolombian, Harpsabu, MVD

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    Adriano did you also go more conservative as you increased your position?

Also 1 thing I would like to add and I learned the hard way is to not double or triple down on your position to lower you basis

I know with Oil stocks, foreign banks, GE/Ford I was very sold on both. I was like this is such a great deal and in the long term it will grow.

All are currently in a lost position for me. While the lost could be 40-70% I purchased more shares at a price that the loss looks like 20-30%

I should have instead waited for those companies to rebound. Paid the premium than hope for a recovery when it was tanking.

Take your losses. In the stocks above I put in 30-40k and am at a 15-20% lost unrealized. If I had just taken the hit and reinvested in better stocks I would have doubled or tripled my money.i just didn’t want to take a hit on it.

GE I bought at $8 and it went to 33. I bought more at 25. It’s been $8-13 for the past 2 years. Should have gotten rid of it a long time ago

I own Barclays Bank, banco Santander, BBVA have literally thousands of shares as they give insane dividends but the price of all of the
    Are 1/2 to 1/3rd of what they were 3-4 years ago

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by crzdcolombian View Post
    Adriano did you also go more conservative as you increased your position?

Also 1 thing I would like to add and I learned the hard way is to not double or triple down on your position to lower you basis

I know with Oil stocks, foreign banks, GE/Ford I was very sold on both. I was like this is such a great deal and in the long term it will grow.

All are currently in a lost position for me. While the lost could be 40-70% I purchased more shares at a price that the loss looks like 20-30%

I should have instead waited for those companies to rebound. Paid the premium than hope for a recovery when it was tanking.

Take your losses. In the stocks above I put in 30-40k and am at a 15-20% lost unrealized. If I had just taken the hit and reinvested in better stocks I would have doubled or tripled my money.i just didn’t want to take a hit on it.

GE I bought at $8 and it went to 33. I bought more at 25. It’s been $8-13 for the past 2 years. Should have gotten rid of it a long time ago

I own Barclays Bank, banco Santander, BBVA have literally thousands of shares as they give insane dividends but the price of all of the
    Are 1/2 to 1/3rd of what they were 3-4 years ago
    This is probably the hardest part about investing knowing when your wrong or wright as i said in my fb example i was 100% sure i was right but it gets hard when your 50% down to hang on it s just as hard to admit that your wrong and sell at a loss matter of fact i did the same as you with GE but in the end said fuck this i made a mistake and sold with a 30% loss. Thats probably the hardest thing and the thing you ll just have to learn over time made many easy mistakes in my beginnings.

Also try to numb your feelings towards daily fluctuations you might have a idea today but you still wanna do you research just cause the stock moves big the next day does not mean you should just hurry in before doing your research again the old saying markets can stay irrational longer then you can stay solvent. So dont take daily or even weekly swings as signs that your right or wrong on your thesis.

Yes i became more conservative which is almost necessary due to pofo theory as other wise FB would have become too big in my pofo. Like i wanted to buy on many dips but did not simply cause my satke s already big enough.

On selling on a loss i ve said it before and i ll say it again read anything on mental accounting by kahneman and or shiller and it will detail a lot of flaws we have when we make our decisions in selling/buying stocks and knowing about them can make your decisions better. Like those books explain our loss avoidance and why it does not make rational sense.
    Theres two great books on this one is the hour between dog and wolf and one is fast and slow thinking. I can only recommend them will improve your decision making not only when it comes to Investing. And seeing as we re all inter fans we could definetly have made some wiser decisions in our life.

On the dividend thing i m intrigued by tupperware (TUP ) i know fucking boring company but trading at 2x forward P/e and having a forward div yield of 17.7% with a dividend f 1.08 and a sp of 6usd.
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

17. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    I own much less stocks that before as they are easier to manage and follow. The things I got destroyed on are things I don’t care about or didn’t research enough. It’s a blue chip it’s always going to be around like Ford and GE. You need to know how a company makes money and how it will continue to make money.

The only time I don’t do that is I think something is a takeover play like Sprint or T-Mobile.

19. Thanks (3): Adriano@10, MVD, Pimpin

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Tesla announced a 2 bio cap raise. Once again they say one thing in their conference call: we re gonna be CF positive and we dont need to raise cash.
    And then do a thing that would indicate the opposite, it s hilarious and the longs who yesterday were saying nah they re not gonna raise capital cause why should we are now saying well at this prices it s a good thing to do..... I honestly think these guys would even justify the factory buring down as somewhat good news cause now they can build a new one or some bs like that.

And while i agree it s a smart thing to do it once again highlights the problems with musk he s just misleading investors at every fucken turn, and yet they keep on believing his lofty promises the more i follow this the more i m sure this is gonna end in a disaster.
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

21. Thanks (1): Pimpin

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

lmao and the stock still went up 5% up, this doesnt make any sense and its reminiscent of the Bitcoin thing
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    On Brozovic:
    Quote Originally Posted by nurko View Post
    He's like bitcoin in January, sell him on a high while you can.

23. Thanks (3): Adriano@10, crzdcolombian, MVD

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Canopy had their first really impressive quarter with an eps and a revenue beat. All pot stocks up big in premarket trading.
    I ve not yet listened to the earnings call though.
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

25. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

Nvidia at an all time high, up 8% for the day
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    On Brozovic:
    Quote Originally Posted by nurko View Post
    He's like bitcoin in January, sell him on a high while you can.

27. Thanks (2): Adriano@10, MVD

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpin View Post
    Nvidia at an all time high, up 8% for the day
    They had a blow out quarter beat on both EPS and revenue ande rev is up 40% yoy. Which is very impressive.

My only problem with them is their production in asia focused not sure how much they can produce when their suppliers from china dont deliver and i m also not to sure that corona will not heavily affect taiwan where nvidia has most of it s production facilities.

Other than that i like Nvidia a lot been following them for some time but somehow never pulled the trigger always was waiting for a bigger pull back that never came.
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

29. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Samsung starting to move it s production for the new galaxy to vietnam from china due to the corona virus.
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

31. Thanks (2): Harpsabu, MVD

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Apple gave a warning yesterday that it wont meet it s guidance for this quarter due to the corona virus. Partially because of a lack of demand in chin and partially because of a lack of supply from china. That is despite them giving ut the guidance on the 28th of jan when they already knew about the virus.
    Also apple said that the return to work is going slower than they initially expected.

I m gonna take this as a confirmation that most companies that manufacture in china or that are haevily reliant on chinese input goods or have a big customer base in china are gonna suffer especially in this first quarter of the year but depending on how recovery goes it might very well drag into Q2 as i dont expect china to be back to full capacity before the end of march and even that is a optimistic timeline.

I m gonna stay away from everybody that manufactures in china atm. There are also some opportunities though as Pure online retailers and services that dont involve any hardware could actually profit from this. I would not be surprised to see a spike in tencent user engagement same goes for Meituan also the likes of slack and zoom could get a boost from this as they help running a business without having to physically interact with people. Although we already see a spike in zooms price since the news of the outbreak.
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

33. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Markets up again after china cut rates and fled the market with additional money.

I m not quite sure about that reaction while cheap borrowing will make sure that most chinese companies will stay afloat it wont have a effect on the slowed production neither will it help much in bringing it back up as long as we dont have a solution for the virus. Meanwhile the us fed pretty much said it will stay on the sidelines ATM.

With production not back up 100% probably till the end of march as well as chinese consumption I dont see how any company that has a exposure to china will meet it s q1 targets there just is no way.

So now we already saw quite weak earnings last year yet P/e s kept rising and this q1 we re probably gonna see very week numbers yet P/e s keep on rising either the risk profile of assets is completely off or we re gonna see a pretty bad and pretty harsh sell off pretty soon, i d expect it latest by mid April when most will have published their q1.

Up until then i put aside 5% of my portfolio where i m just gonna play with a couple of hyped up stocks see if i can make 10% here and there. Other than that i dont think i ll be opening any new positions till this market gets sane.
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

35. Thanks (2): MVD, Pimpin