Page 111 of 113 FirstFirst ... 1161101108109110111112113 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,220 of 2258

Thread: Joao Cancelo

Fav. Player
    Doina Turcanu

Tokelau

69 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    He is worth 40m even. And yeah, Vrsaljko was indeed a better business, it proved right away.

Just because he went to Juve doesnt mean changed as a player, fyi.
    What do you think of Rafinha? Was he worth of 35m?
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

I thought football in Italy had changed, but it seems that a zebra never changes its stripes.
    FAK GOBBY

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saudi Arabia

Yes, definitely. His injury record was the only thing that held him down.
    Forza Inter

3. Thanks (1): forzainter257

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    He is worth 40m even. And yeah, Vrsaljko was indeed a better business, it proved right away.

Just because he went to Juve doesnt mean changed as a player, fyi. It wasnt even his choice. He is still the one who got away. He was an IMMENSE part of and one of our creative attackig force for our road to the CL last season.
    It was better business, Vrsaljko just got an unlucky injury, the 40M could have been paid for Cancelo and then he may have gotten injured and out for a long time, with injuries no one knows. Regardless i was for signing him and using Kondogbia in the deal so that was a failure really.

Fav. Player
    Doina Turcanu

Tokelau

69 Forum Supporter
    Yes, definitely. His injury record was the only thing that held him down.
    Why do you think Vrsaljko wasn't a better business though?
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

I thought football in Italy had changed, but it seems that a zebra never changes its stripes.
    FAK GOBBY

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saudi Arabia

Vrsaljko has serious injury issues though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Why do you think Vrsaljko wasn't a better business though?
    Why gamble on a new player when we already have one who just had a pretty successful season? Vrsaljko was a hit or miss meanwhile Cancelo was on our best player. It’s always better to pay a little more expensive on a sure thing rather than gamble and waste some time, as how Vrsaljko turned out to be.
    Forza Inter

7. Thanks (1): forzainter257

Fav. Player
    Doina Turcanu

Tokelau

69 Forum Supporter
    Vrsaljko has serious injury issues though.
    So, Vrsaljko wasn't a better business bcs of his injury issues but Rafinha is worth the money?

Imo Vrsaljko is a better player overall compared to Cancelo. Cancelo is a defender who can't defend. With our midfield current status, having Cancelo will cause even more chaos because we will practically defend with 1 man less. Vrsaljko can help to stabilise our defense better. However, the move to take Vrsaljko didn't pay off unfortunately.

Similarly, had we splashed 35 mil on Rafinha, would we consider it was a good business now that he suffered another ACL?

- - - Updated - - -

Why gamble on a new player when we already have one who just had a pretty successful season? Vrsaljko was a hit or miss meanwhile Cancelo was on our best player. It’s always better to pay a little more expensive on a sure thing rather than gamble and waste some time, as how Vrsaljko turned out to be.
    We didn't own the player at that time. We had to pay 40 millions to buy him. At that moment, we needed 40 millions to balance the account, so buying Cancelo would put us minus 80 millions.

Is this "a little more expensive"?

Cancelo had a very bad start. Everyone seems to forget how he played in the Pordenone game, the game which made him wanted to leave Inter early. Then as everyone else in the team going down hill in the second round, Cancelo started to show some good games. It was a positive end of season but I'm not sure if it could be categorised as successful season.
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

FAK GOBBY

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saudi Arabia

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    So, Vrsaljko wasn't a better business bcs of his injury issues but Rafinha is worth the money?

Imo Vrsaljko is a better player overall compared to Cancelo. Cancelo is a defender who can't defend. With our midfield current status, having Cancelo will cause even more chaos because we will practically defend with 1 man less. Vrsaljko can help to stabilise our defense better. However, the move to take Vrsaljko didn't pay off unfortunately.

Similarly, had we splashed 35 mil on Rafinha, would we consider it was a good business now that he suffered another ACL?
    I have to disagree. This “Cancelo cant defend” is just an overused excuse. I cant even remember any major fuck ups from him, if someone is free enough to provide videos of him making huge mistakes I would be thankful.

As bad as he is defensively, he provides 3x more attacking solutions to the team, not to mention some composure that helps the overall team take their time to find the right positions. He is one of the few technically giften player in the team so it was nice to have him in the team. I see him as a young Maicon, in terms of playing style, Joao might never reach his level, but Maicon was defensively decent at best for a fullback who’s been considered one of the best in his position at the time, he just makes it up by providing crazy amount of goals and assists.
    Forza Inter

10. Thanks (1): forzainter257

Vietnam

I have to disagree. This “Cancelo cant defend” is just an overused excuse. I cant even remember any major fuck ups from him, if someone is free enough to provide videos of him making huge mistakes I would be thankful.
    Coach has to setup the tactics to relieve defensive burden from Cancelo. I didnt watch Juve close enough, but at Inter I couldnt remember him making tackles either. Dumbo used to cover a huge space on the left side so that the CBs can move further rightwards to help him.

Allegri prefers De Siglio against strong teams for that reason.

Fav. Player
    Lautaro

Kazakhstan

the team can't score, can't build a proper attack, yet they look for a fullback who can defend...
    I have weakened bolts that fastened a brain, and have relaxed. A technical break...

13. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

Name me one great fullback in the history who was known for both his defensive and offensive contributions.

Maicon--> great at going forward. No one mentions his defending because he wasn't good defender. The first leg against Barca, he didn't cover Maxwell and that ended up a goal. Against Tottenham, Bale scored three goals in a matter of minutes, all very similar, from the same angel on our right side.

Dani Alvez--> great going forward, shit at defending.

Marcelo--> great going forward, mediocre defender

And many more... (wanted to include more but I'm typing this on my iPad and my fingers are hurting from the stupid keyboard. I think 3 examples are enough for now)

On the other hand, there are fullbacks who were great at defending like Zanetti.

This is why some people distinguish between offensive types of defenders and the defensive type by saying 'fullback' or 'wingback'.

Cancelo is a wingback. A wingback's job is mainly to go forward and help the attack; now if he could defend too that would be a bonus.

When a wingback goes forward it's the job of the coach to instruct the appropriate player to cover up for the wingback.
    Ajax just thrashed Juve!! Fuck whoever uses the 'experience' excuse for signing bunch of mediocre 30+ year olds who do nothing other than laying in the treatment room and demanding high wages.

Fav. Player
    Lautaro

Kazakhstan

shame you didn't mention the best of them - Roberto Carlos who was really weak at defending
    I have weakened bolts that fastened a brain, and have relaxed. A technical break...

16. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

Quote Originally Posted by forzainter257 View Post
    shame you didn't mention the best of them - Roberto Carlos who was really weak at defending
    Man, that was one of the first names on my mind but as I said it's not easy typing on an iPad so I tried to keep it short.
    Ajax just thrashed Juve!! Fuck whoever uses the 'experience' excuse for signing bunch of mediocre 30+ year olds who do nothing other than laying in the treatment room and demanding high wages.

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
    Name me one great fullback in the history who was known for both his defensive and offensive contributions.

Maicon--> great at going forward. No one mentions his defending because he wasn't good defender. The first leg against Barca, he didn't cover Maxwell and that ended up a goal. Against Tottenham, Bale scored three goals in a matter of minutes, all very similar, from the same angel on our right side.

Hilarious stuff.

Maicon not a good defender
    At least get your facts right. Zanetti was the one covering Bale in 2/3 goals that night and the whole team was complacent because it was 4 fucking nil and they seemed toothless.
    In the other tie he was at times outpaced by Bale, but in the two goals that Bale was involved Maicon wasn't even the guy marking him. Lucio was and freaking Obiora or Obi or some other Primavera kid.

For Barcelona's goal, the blame goes to Lucio and Cambiasso mostly for not communicating right and just leaving the space open while Maicon was not really man marking anyone at the time, just closing the space for Maxwell's potential pass to Zlatan right outside the area.... Cambiasso stopped, Lucio hesitated and Maxwell was free. #blameMaicon

I sometimes wonder if people have their own opinions or just repeat what is 'popular' just to sound knowledgeable about a subject they aren't familiar with.

It's even more hilarious that you think Zanetti was great at defending but not good going forward
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda

Conte uomo di merda

Fav. Player
    Mexes

Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
    Cafu, Zanetti, Zambrotta, Ashley Cole, Lizarazu, Sagnol. Will not agree that Maicon was bad at defending. He was just used more offensively since he was bringing so much danger to the opposition. Being a full-back often requires trade-offs. It’s not that they are only good at one thing, it’s that they iften cannot do both at tge same time. Maicon played well defensively when he was asked to.
    Last edited by Skid Rock; 24 May 19 at 07:22.

20. Thanks (2): brakbrak, MVD

Fav. Player
    Lautaro

Kazakhstan

His defensive skills starts at 3:03, but I personally like his crosses.. So many chances had been wasted by his teammates
    Also I remember one great tackle from him, he run back and tackled in such a cool manner. I don't remember what match it was.

Moreover, I never remember him giving a wrong pass even if he is in a difficult situation he manages passing safely.

Last edited by forzainter257; 24 May 19 at 08:44.

22. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Wallace
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I don’t like watching these fancy dribbling, no wonder he doesn’t belong here.

I very much prefer players who stand still with the ball, do back passes, or lose the ball.
    Wallace

Serbia

Loved his lob passes in front of the box. Say what you want about Cancelo but he definitely has understanding of attacking and sees things that most of our players didn't, and still don't. He should be a proper winger, I don't see him lacking anything compared to Politano. I'd much rather have him in fact.

25. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Che squadraccia

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member
    Cancelo has been caught out and given away the ball stupidly numerous times this season at juve (see vs Ajax etc). I don't recall him doing much of that last season at Inter. At least not enough for it to be a noticeable or regular shortcoming.

Cancelo's defensive weaknesses here were positioning-related more than anything. In the early part of last season he would fail to mark the runner at the far post from time to time. Or he would be stranded up the pitch while attacking and be out of position on the defensive transition etc. But tbh there's not a fullback in the world who doesn't get caught out of position like that if he's pressing upfield to attack and the retards in midfield give the ball away stupidly. Likewise it's not remotely uncommon for a fullback to be beaten by the winger at the far post from time to time. That particular overlap scenario is one of the most common goal-scoring situations there is. These are not things you point to as evidence of a poor defender unless they happen unreasonably often. As I've stated, I don't believe Cancelo's transgressions were unreasonably common.

Either way, I personally think he improved a lot in that regard as his season went on. For what it's worth I also thought that Vrsaljko was solid in this regard but whatever.

Asamoah made a brilliant defensive header on Callejon I think, against Napoli, after reading his run from wide in behind the defense. Tbfh, that kind of defending is exemplary, not standard.

I've already gone on and on about it but I don't really see why people clown on Cancelo as if he were a complete defensive liability like Santon or Ranocchia.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

\_(ツ)_/

Fav. Player
    D'Ambrosio
    Old name
    ForzaKovacic

Egypt

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Asamoah made a brilliant defensive header on Callejon I think, against Napoli, after reading his run from wide in behind the defense. Tbfh, that kind of defending is exemplary, not standard.
    It was Milik
    A good performance, I dont know if we are talking about one point gained or two points lost. But the team did what it had to do."
    Luciano Spalletti on Udinese(17th) - Inter 0 - 0

"We were playing well, and then it started to rain."
    -Walter Mazzarri

28. Thanks (3): MVD, rfU, thatdude

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Kuwait

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    Hilarious stuff.

Maicon not a good defender
    At least get your facts right. Zanetti was the one covering Bale in 2/3 goals that night and the whole team was complacent because it was 4 fucking nil and they seemed toothless.
    In the other tie he was at times outpaced by Bale, but in the two goals that Bale was involved Maicon wasn't even the guy marking him. Lucio was and freaking Obiora or Obi or some other Primavera kid.

For Barcelona's goal, the blame goes to Lucio and Cambiasso mostly for not communicating right and just leaving the space open while Maicon was not really man marking anyone at the time, just closing the space for Maxwell's potential pass to Zlatan right outside the area.... Cambiasso stopped, Lucio hesitated and Maxwell was free. #blameMaicon

I sometimes wonder if people have their own opinions or just repeat what is 'popular' just to sound knowledgeable about a subject they aren't familiar with.

It's even more hilarious that you think Zanetti was great at defending but not good going forward
    Typical brehme with his know-it-all attitude but doesn't know shit

I remember Maicon came under heavy fire after that match. Redknapp was praising Bale after the match for doing what he did against the "best right back in the world". He said they were checking Bale for doping after the game for running like that so late in the match.

It was to the point that Bale came out and defended Maicon saying something to the effect of "Maicon is a nice guy; every time he tackled me he said sorry".

You know, no one would think less of you if they find out you don't know some stuff. People would think less of you when you pretend to know everything.

Seriously, you don't have to have an opinion about everything. Keeping quiet about stuff you don't know about is ok.

30. Thanks (1): ForzaNerazzurro