Thread: Race to Top 4

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru

Race to Top 4

The good old days when the Scudetto used to be decided by who wins the most points against the bottom 10 are truly over.

Serie A is becoming more polarised in the last 2-3 years. The top teams are becoming stronger, and the gap with the bottom 10 is increasing. The top teams are winning easy points against the bottom 10, that is no longer a differentiator. It is becoming obvious that the race to Top 4 this season will be decided in the head-to-head clashed between the top few.

Below is the table between what I call the top 9 in Serie A. These are the teams against which most points may be lost. Normally I would have included Torino to make this a top 10, but Torino are looking really poor this season so far. This table may give a better reflection of who is looking like a more likely top 4 candidate - this is where everything might be decided.

The H2H table after week 11:

Inter and Napoli have clearly done very well here so far. And this also clearly shows where Milan and Fiorentina are fucking up.

I will keep this table updated so see how we are progressing.

Greece

10 years of FIF
    It's just the bottom 4 honestly that's the problem, not half the league. And one or two of them are bound to rally at some point like Crotone did last year.

Fav. Player
    Handanovic
    Old name
    QuantumOfSolace

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    It's just the bottom 4 honestly that's the problem, not half the league. And one or two of them are bound to rally at some point like Crotone did last year.
    True, but Roma broke their record of points last season, just as Napoli broke their record of goals scored. CL contenders are pretty much building a league of their own within the overall league itself.

4. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, Javier'sSon, MVD

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
    True, but Roma broke their record of points last season, just as Napoli broke their record of goals scored. CL contenders are pretty much building a league of their own within the overall league itself.
    Napoli lost points at home to Sassuolo (12th). They failed to beat Palermo home or away, a team that got relegated. They also lost twice to Atalanta who ended up 4th. Napoli also lost points to Genoa (16th) and Pescara (20th)
    Roma lost points to Cagliari (11th) and is more suited to this example, they had a great season.
    Juventus also lost to Genoa (16th) away and lost points to Udinese (13th).

I do agree there's an issue with the level of the smaller teams, but it's not as great as people are trying to make it out. It's pretty similar in England and Spain.

6. Thanks (1): Adriano@10

Fav. Player
    D.Milito

Somalia

I think Sampdoria are the outside bets for top 4. They certainly won't make it but it'd be nice if Giampaolo channel his Interista and take points off Juve, Napoli, Roma, and Lazio. They have the players to pull off some shock wins like they did against Bbilan

8. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter Most Improved Member
    Ah, the official jinx thread for the season. We wont win until the new year now
    Strachan can suck my tiny schlong

Quote Originally Posted by Glass box View Post
    One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

Fav. Player
    R9

Indonesia

Jinx only works for unbeliever

11. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Brazil

71 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    When we open these threads after a good spell we always end up shitting the bed and self-destructing.
    PUT CRESPO IN LGI

13. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Milito

Hong Kong

81 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Milan

15. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti

Nepal

21 10 years of FIF
    Unless we make some good moves in the Winter Transfer Mercato, I doubt we will be able to hang on at the top of the table for that long. Anything is possible though.

That aside, Lazio has been super solid whenever I have watched them - including the game against Juventus (quality/creative players they have got).

Fav. Player
    Handanovic

United States

I agree with bluenine's point but make no mistake about it - Lazio is the threat here. Napoli and Juve may drop points here and there and out matches with them will be competitive - but they'll likely finish 1 and 2 this year. Roma have a game in hand and will also likely be in the top 4. The only team that is so far overperforming and trying to disrupt the top 4 going to us, juve, Napoli and roma is Lazio. And they are smashing teams. If we get 6 points from Lazio, I think we'll end up atleast 4th. Yes, we'll drop some points but everyone else will too. Lazio we must be +6 against or we are in trouble.

18. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, Bluenine, MVD

Fav. Player
    Il Phenomenon

Indonesia

With all respect to Blue9, But If we lose against Torino can we close this thread please?
    IndoInter

20. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    #FreeInsigne

Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Tombatu View Post
    With all respect to Blue9, But If we lose against Torino can we close this thread please?
    He's getting banned if we lose 2 of the next 3 fixtures
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlen View Post
    The problem with this kind of site in english is the international brand of supporters from non-footballers or non-top-footballer countries..
    You see people from Colombia, Oceania, Ireland(i think) pretending that at least ONCE in their life they saw a young wc talent arriving and becoming a world star.

Just a idea: if you want a serious debate about football, you should block everybody from countries that NEVER will win nothing and NEVER will have a balon d'or, for example.
    Whats the point about those guys opinions??? Can i go to some New Zealand chat and start to teach them how to recognize the better wc prospects among young Rugby players?
    Again, if you NEVER saw a young wc prospect struggling in his first years, like Kaka or Ronaldinho who were booed by they local supporters here, how could you judge????

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Jokes apart, this is more of an anti-jinx thread. We are bound to drop some points sooner or later, our record against the top 10 sides just cannot be sustained. Torino are hungry to bounce back after dropping some points when they were missing their star striker who is back now, and Atalanta are a brilliant side who can trouble anyone on their day. Luckily for Inter, we have hopefully built some buffer points here.

This is how the table looks now, after adding in Torino who are showing signs that they belong on this list:

It will be interesting to see how this table evolves during the season. Maybe this will throw up some interesting points about the race for top 4.

Over this match day and next, this table may change significantly. We have 6 head to heads:

Week 12:
    Inter vs Torino
    Fiorentina vs Roma

Week 13:
    Inter vs Atalanta
    Napoli vs Milan
    Roma vs Lazio
    Sampdoria vs Juventus

If we can get 4 to 6 points in the next 2 games, it would be awesome.
    Last edited by Bluenine; 05 Nov 17 at 10:26.

23. Thanks (2): MVD, _OC_

Fav. Player
    D.Milito

Somalia

Napoli vs Milan
    Roma vs Lazio
    Sampdoria vs Juventus
    Can't decide which team I want them to lose

Fav. Player
    Emma Watson

Tokelau

Napoli and Juve to lose.
    Roma - Lazio draw.
    that will be perfect scenario for us if we win vs atalanta.
    FC INTERNAZIONALE

I thought football in Italy had changed, but it seems that a zebra never changes its stripes.
    FAK GOBBY

26. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Diego Milito

Ireland

Jinx thread

28. Thanks (2): Fitzy, MVD

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishInterista View Post
    Ah, the official jinx thread for the season. We wont win until the new year now
    Scottish Nosferatu

One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

30. Thanks (4): ADRossi, Fitzy, Harpsabu, MVD

Fav. Player
    Emre + Martins
    Old name
    Wolf's Rain

Turkey

Quote Originally Posted by ScottishInterista View Post
    Scottish Nosferatu
    A Scottish vampire?

Think you meant Nostradamus hehe

32. Thanks (3): ADRossi, Harpsabu, Quantum

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by Zoro View Post
    A Scottish vampire?

Think you meant Nostradamus hehe
    Dont undermine me

34. Thanks (2): MVD, Zoro