Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retro Calcio

Italy

i wonder if you guys have ever heard of this story, the famous: "if you are looking for the thieves, they are in the other dressing room".

in the season 1985/86 juventus and verona faced in the round of 16 of champions league (or European Cup, as it was called back then): juventus took part in it as the cup's title holders (we all know how they won), verona as Serie A title's holders.

the first leg, in verona, ended 0-0.

the second was played in turin behind closed doors (as a sanction for the behaviour of their supporters at the heysel stadium) and juventus won 2-0.

but a very soft penalty was awarded to them while a clear one was denied to verona.

and while some 'gialloblý' players were still protesting for the penalty, juventus took advantage of it and scored quite easily their second goal.

after the match, a verona player was so angry that he threw a shoe which broke a glass and accidentally injured a journalist, nothing serious but someone called the police and a police officer knocked on the door of verona dressing room.

verona coach osvaldo bagnoli opened the door and before the officer could even say a word, bagnoli told him (as he later confirmed): "if you are looking for the thieves, they are over there", pointing to the other dressing room.

this is a very famous episode here among people who are at least 40 or have a knowledge of serie A history.

for anyone who may want to know the details, here is a report in english of the whole match and the after-match: https://www.theblizzard.co.uk/articl...-great-romance

highlights:

and here is bagnoli telling the famous sentence again, it's in italian but the gestures help a lot:

https://youtu.be/H85PmiVfcUg?t=117
    Last edited by firmino; 24 May 18 at 23:29.
    My username has nothing to do with the player of liverpool fc, it is a reference to an Italian novel.

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster

I guess this is sort of retro now.
    Storari <3
    Pazzini <3
    Cassano <3 <3 <3

The unsung heroes of the Triplete

Fav. Player
    Mancini

Trinidad & Tobago

45 10 years of FIF
    whats cray about that is:

- totti was already 33?....insane to remember that he was technically an "old man" and still big protagonist for Roma.
    - tinkerman
    - that cassano assist is literally mirror image of his assist to balotelli v germany @ euros. That's crazy.
    - that roma team spaletti built was pretty damn good. I remember wanting so many of their players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnr View Post
    I swear to god Inters squad goes from Nikolai Tesla and Einstein ( Skrino&DeVrij) to Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey the more you go up higher.

Fav. Player
    The Bro

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post

I guess this is sort of retro now.
    Storari <3
    Pazzini <3
    Cassano <3 <3 <3

The unsung heroes of the Triplete
    I miss that Sampdoria haha. Cassano-Pazzini were a great duo.
    "Moggi was just a grape in a vineyard of bullshit"

5. Thanks (4): AbdiWirajaya, Devious, MVD, thatdude

Fav. Player
    Ausilencio

Europe

Simone Perrotta and Stefano Fiore were the Scholes of Calcio. Under the radar players but tactically valuable and effective.
    #donatesuning

Greece

First game after the Scandal of April 1998. Pretty much the same type of game. With Pirlo as our trequartista and Zidane sent off

8. Thanks (3): bugojanac, Devious, MVD

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

13 10 years of FIF
    david mcgoldrick

10. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, Kakaroto, MVD

Fav. Player
    Fabio Cannavaro

United States

Quote Originally Posted by nerazzurri4life View Post
    whats cray about that is:

- totti was already 33?....insane to remember that he was technically an "old man" and still big protagonist for Roma.
    - tinkerman
    - that cassano assist is literally mirror image of his assist to balotelli v germany @ euros. That's crazy.
    - that roma team spaletti built was pretty damn good. I remember wanting so many of their players.
    Yeah. He was 30 during the World Cup, and its crazy to think that he was considered at the end of his career then.
    Move FIF to XenForo

Fav. Player
    Il Fenomeno

Italy

The scudetto of 1988 1989

I wasn't even born but i like to watch how good Inter was at this time. It was surely fun to watch this team... Aldo Serena is something like Icardi. Yeah, strange to hear that from someone that not really likes Icardi, but mixed with those players he was amazing. Mattheus, Bergomi, Brehme, Berti, Zenga.. Incredibile how much important saves he made.
    Really like this team, shame i was born to late
    Nel bene e nel male, forza Internazionale!!

#IcardiOut

13. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, Devious

Greece

this shit is retro now

15. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Greece

The best passer I've ever seen. Glad that not many remember him being a Juventino, moving from Barcelona to Real Madrid has the tendency to outweigh anything else

For those that want more and have enough free time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zUsCZvol-I

One of those players that you'll see legends go on about how they're the greatest. Or the laziest genius

Have to include this:

Against Cruyff's Barcelona. And Ivan Zamorano

17. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, Devious

Fav. Player
    Walter Zenga

Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post

Best Real Madrid since the Di Stefano-Puskas era. Probably better than the Galacticos and the current team as well. They got their fair share of ref advantage but nothing excessive and nothing unusual for any Real Madrid team in history. Butragueno was just sublime.

This is from the Uefa Cup Final of 1986. They beat us 5-1 in the semis (3-1 for Inter in Italy then 3-1 for Real Madrid in Spain after 90 minutes + 2 goals in extra time. Their first goal in the return leg was from a non-existent penalty...)
    Real Madrid had also defeated Internazionale in the 1984/85 semi-final.

Realís victory in the UEFA Cup in 1985/86 is most remembered for a third round defeat of Borussia MŲnchengladbach - they were 5-1 down from the first leg but won the second leg 4-0 at the Bernabeu.

There is some great footage from that game on YouTube which, unfortunately, Iíve been unable to successfully link for some reason.

19. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Greece

Uefa Cup 1989 Quarter finals. First game Juventus-Napoli 2-0. Return leg, this happens:

Napoli leads by 2-0 after 90 minutes, forcing the game to extra time and then Renica (libero, left back kind of player) scores the winner in the 120th minute to reach the semis (they eventually won the cup by defeating Bayern in the semis and Stuttgart in the final).

Figured it is nice to post a video every once in a while where Juventus get their butts hurt.

Here's an enhanced video of the game with commentary as well, though I prefer the natural sound of the stadium.

21. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Fav. Player
    sdv,skri,epic

Ukraine

Fantastic atmosphere at the stadium back then.

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk

23. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, Anne Marie

Greece

Spalletti things (with some hair)

25. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, Devious, Dylan

Greece

Boca Juniors vs Milan in the Intercontinental Cup of 2003

27. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, thatdude

Greece

How the fuck this did not finish 5-0 we will never know

P.S: Milan had a clear goal disallowed as Kaka did not pass it to Shevchenko when it was still 1-1. There was no penalty on Maldini's "handball". And the PK for Liverpool was laughable as Gerrard made his hand collide with Gattuso's arm, compared to that Shevchenko-Traore duel it's simply laughable. As fun as it was to see Milan collapse, this era of UEFA promoting certain PL clubs was horrid, in particular Liverpool and Man Utd. We also suffered from both due to the same issues in 2008 and 2009 respectively. The Liverpool love still persists as last season showed us.

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Ireland

13 10 years of FIF
    Milan bottled it mate.
    david mcgoldrick

30. Thanks (1): thatdude

Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
    Milan bottled it mate.
    They sure did, but there was no reason for the ref to help Liverpool do it.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    And there was no way we deserved to go through against Liverpool nor Man Utd.

Just saw the Roma - Sampdoria post...Goddamn I didn't know Storari played like a monster in that match.

I believe Roma were on a 6-7 match winning streak, beating us in the process, and also only just took over us in the table. That defeat was the nail in their coffin.