Page 235 of 240 FirstFirst ... 135185225232233234235236237238 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,700 of 4784

Thread: Lautaro Martinez

  1. #4681
    Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 09
    Posts
    24,291
    Thanked
    54,257 times
    Fav. Player
    Kolarov

    South Korea

    89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member Most Diverse Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by uny_arturo View Post
    Felt a bit bad for him. He's putting in the effort and all that. What went wrong?
    His instincts can be good but sometimes he makes poor decisions which put him in a difficult position where the margins for error are reduced and therefore he fails. At least that's how I see it.

    From today:



    While he's done a great job to take the ball, turn and nearly score, he made the above situation more difficult for himself than necessary.

    With his take, he has Bakayoko, Manolas and Ospina all out of position with the keeper scrambling over from his near post. Toro has a clear line of sight and much more space to his left hand side of goal i.e. the blue line.

    Instead, he shot following the red line. Taking that angle requires him to rotate further inward, which also increases the time it takes to shoot, giving the defenders more time to get across. It also makes himself less accurate because his standing leg is further twisted and more unstable. Anyone who has played any football knows turning while shooting is not ideal and the tighter you have to turn, the less power and control you have.

    Furthermore, it means he's shooting directly into the oncoming defender.. the ball actually goes through Manolas' legs.. Nice, but why add that obstacle? Why shoot into the defender and hope the ball evades his legs, instead of just shooting into the empty space where the defender is not? If he'd just followed the blue line and shot to his left, he would've had an unobstructed line of sight to the goal with a less awkward angle to shoot, with his body shape nice and open and able to generate a lot more power.

    To put it bluntly, if he just side foots the ball at the blue angle, he maybe has a 50% chance to score. The red angle only gives him a 25% for reasons mentioned. Why take the 25% option over the 50%?

    Like I said, he almost pulled it off and it would've been a sick goal. But it's just small decisions like this that hurt him IMO. Guy too often needlessly puts himself in low-chance situations where it's too hard to succeed - where as I said, the margins for error are too small and require him to be perfect.

    (He also has Gagliardini completely open to his left and could've easily played him but I don't blame him for taking the shot himself.)
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


  2. #4682
    brakbrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Aug 11
    Posts
    1,999
    Thanked
    2,018 times
    Fav. Player
    Christian Vieri

    Indonesia

    Agreed, seems to me his shots are harder than they need to be. Not sure if he wants to score flashy goals or his positioning is bad.
    #zhangisconte'sbitch

  3. #4683

    Join Date
    06 Sep 11
    Posts
    3,947
    Thanked
    4,055 times

    Vietnam

    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    His instincts can be good but sometimes he makes poor decisions which put him in a difficult position where the margins for error are reduced and therefore he fails. At least that's how I see it.

    From today:


    While he's done a great job to take the ball, turn and nearly score, he made the above situation more difficult for himself than necessary.

    With his take, he has Bakayoko, Manolas and Ospina all out of position with the keeper scrambling over from his near post. Toro has a clear line of sight and much more space to his left hand side of goal i.e. the blue line.

    Instead, he shot following the red line. Taking that angle requires him to rotate further inward, which also increases the time it takes to shoot, giving the defenders more time to get across. It also makes himself less accurate because his standing leg is further twisted and more unstable. Anyone who has played any football knows turning while shooting is not ideal and the tighter you have to turn, the less power and control you have.

    Furthermore, it means he's shooting directly into the oncoming defender.. the ball actually goes through Manolas' legs.. Nice, but why add that obstacle? Why shoot into the defender and hope the ball evades his legs, instead of just shooting into the empty space where the defender is not? If he'd just followed the blue line and shot to his left, he would've had an unobstructed line of sight to the goal with a less awkward angle to shoot, with his body shape nice and open and able to generate a lot more power.

    To put it bluntly, if he just side foots the ball at the blue angle, he maybe has a 50% chance to score. The red angle only gives him a 25% for reasons mentioned. Why take the 25% option over the 50%?

    Like I said, he almost pulled it off and it would've been a sick goal. But it's just small decisions like this that hurt him IMO. Guy too often needlessly puts himself in low-chance situations where it's too hard to succeed - where as I said, the margins for error are too small and require him to be perfect.

    (He also has Gagliardini completely open to his left and could've easily played him but I don't blame him for taking the shot himself.)
    I think you're trying to read too much into one occasion.

    Usually, strikers will just pick the shot they're most comfortable with given their angle, posture, preferred foot, etc... maybe in this specific occasion, Lautaro wasnt comfortable with curling the ball to the left post.

    Also, the GK was probably anticipating the blue line too which would reduce the chance of scoring. Shooting right had an element of surprise which indeed left the GK dead standing. Overall, cool shot, better luck next time.
    Last edited by qb4ever_2k; 17 Dec 20 at 05:01.

  4. Thanks (1): surripere

  5. #4684

    Join Date
    14 Sep 15
    Posts
    571
    Thanked
    712 times

    Singapore

    Had Lukaku missed that chance, he would be slaughtered here.

    Man, I love Lautaro. But dude is so fucking clumsy and reckless as a finisher. He has been playing at the top level for quite some time already, yet his composure seems to hardly develop.


  6. #4685
    rockball's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Apr 05
    Posts
    11,591
    Thanked
    4,517 times
    Fav. Player
    Nicolooo

    Falkland Islands

    0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    He was trying to be too smart there. The thing is that being simple gets the job done more often than not. Great players know when to be cheeky and when not.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

  7. #4686
    Javier'sSon's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Oct 15
    Posts
    5,099
    Thanked
    7,308 times
    Fav. Player
    Bastoni

    Holy See

    4
    Yeah that's what I also thought. He probably did what Uni said he did because he thought the defenders would be thinking the same thing so he tried to surprise them. Just an example of overthinking where sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I do agree that he needs to be better at choosing the right times to try and fool players because he does it a tad bit much.

  8. Thanks (1): MVD

  9. #4687
    bubba zanetti's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Sep 20
    Posts
    598
    Thanked
    547 times
    Fav. Player
    Chino Recoba

    Croatia

    I would score that chance. That attempt was idiotic.

  10. #4688
    Batman's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Jun 10
    Posts
    13,142
    Thanked
    11,617 times
    Fav. Player
    Icardi

    Saudi Arabia

    8 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyclifton View Post
    Had Lukaku missed that chance, he would be slaughtered here.
    Lukaku already fucked up an even worse chance.
    Forza Inter

  11. Thanks (2): eduzee, Gaindé

  12. #4689
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    23,439
    Thanked
    20,921 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyclifton View Post
    Had Lukaku missed that chance, he would be slaughtered here.
    Personally, I would applaud if he managed to turn with the ball and shoot it instead of fumbling the control and giving a shit pass to Gagliardini's left foot. Or shoot right at the defenders. Already seen that show many times.
    <<Gli scudetti è giusto vincerli sul campo>> Antonio Conte on Calciopoli

    #ConteOut

  13. #4690
    CafeCordoba's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 04
    Posts
    26,872
    Thanked
    18,808 times
    Fav. Player
    Lautaro

    Finland

    39 10 years of FIF
    Well analyzed Universe. But I think Lautaro just acted with his instincts and didn't "thought" it through in that situation like you suggest he should have done. Like "okay I have the ball here, goalie is coming from the right corner to the middle so I shoot it to the right corner" type of instinct acting.

  14. Thanks (2): eduzee, rfU

  15. #4691

    Join Date
    14 Sep 15
    Posts
    571
    Thanked
    712 times

    Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    Personally, I would applaud if he managed to turn with the ball and shoot it instead of fumbling the control and giving a shit pass to Gagliardini's left foot. Or shoot right at the defenders. Already seen that show many times.
    Nah, Lukaku would have blasted it to the top corner.

    Okay, I don't usually agree with you mate, but you are most probably right about this one. Lukaku would have shot it straight at the keeper's face.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by CafeCordoba View Post
    Well analyzed Universe. But I think Lautaro just acted with his instincts and didn't "thought" it through in that situation like you suggest he should have done. Like "okay I have the ball here, goalie is coming from the right corner to the middle so I shoot it to the right corner" type of instinct acting.
    That explains why Lautaro still needs to learn a lot to become a top striker. Relying on instinct too often is what always leads to poor end products in his game. An elite striker like Aguero or Lewandowski would have calmly scored that one. But given Lautaro is still young, that miss is somewhat forgivable.

  16. #4692
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    23,439
    Thanked
    20,921 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyclifton View Post
    Nah, Lukaku would have blasted it to the top corner.

    Okay, I don't usually agree with you mate, but you are most probably right about this one. Lukaku would have shot it straight at the keeper's face.
    The irony is that when Lukaku has a couple of defenders, he'll definitely hit one of them.
    If there's only one defender, he may managed a shot, usually under his legs, and the goalkeeper will not have many options to stop a goal from being converted.

    He will shoot right at the goalkeeper's body when he's faced one on one with him though. He may fail to produce a shot or make it on target (ie hit the goalie) if he's under pressure by a defender.

    There's really no logical pattern here, but it is an actual pattern.

    My favorite Lukaku goal has to be this one:


    Exhibits all the patterns into one


    I think the reason he is so comfortable with penalties is because he knows that no one can challenge him, the keeper cannot close in on him and he's always performing much better when he takes the shot first time, so since he cannot hit the ball twice there, it becomes an exemplary shot more often than not. It's not a matter of mentality, I think it's genuine fear [out of lack of confidence] that causes the other situations.

    Lautaro on the other hand is fearless, but that's his problem. He acts way more on instinct than he should.
    <<Gli scudetti è giusto vincerli sul campo>> Antonio Conte on Calciopoli

    #ConteOut

  17. Thanks (1): tonyclifton

  18. #4693
    rfU's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Jul 09
    Posts
    3,935
    Thanked
    1,897 times
    Fav. Player
    JZ4



    10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeCordoba View Post
    Well analyzed Universe. But I think Lautaro just acted with his instincts and didn't "thought" it through in that situation like you suggest he should have done. Like "okay I have the ball here, goalie is coming from the right corner to the middle so I shoot it to the right corner" type of instinct acting.
    Exactly. Toro lacks composure. Like his nom de guerre suggests, he sees red and acts on instinct rather than conscious thought. We all know how difficult it is for young players to progress at Inter, so for now I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll improve his game.
    "Last person I called "Darling" was pregnant 20 seconds later!" Lord Flashheart.


  19. #4694
    Sassuolu's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Oct 06
    Posts
    12,165
    Thanked
    7,867 times
    Fav. Player
    Stefan de Vrij
    Old name
    Toninu

    Brazil

    71 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyclifton View Post
    Had Lukaku missed that chance, he would be slaughtered here.
    ^^ THIS.
    JUVELITE ERA !!!

    #RIPRENDIRAFINHA #CRESPOINLGI

    GRAZIE LUCIANO!

    WELCOME TO THE JUVELITE ERA

  20. #4695

    Join Date
    14 Sep 15
    Posts
    571
    Thanked
    712 times

    Singapore

    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    The irony is that when Lukaku has a couple of defenders, he'll definitely hit one of them.
    If there's only one defender, he may managed a shot, usually under his legs, and the goalkeeper will not have many options to stop a goal from being converted.

    He will shoot right at the goalkeeper's body when he's faced one on one with him though. He may fail to produce a shot or make it on target (ie hit the goalie) if he's under pressure by a defender.

    There's really no logical pattern here, but it is an actual pattern.

    My favorite Lukaku goal has to be this one:


    Exhibits all the patterns into one


    I think the reason he is so comfortable with penalties is because he knows that no one can challenge him, the keeper cannot close in on him and he's always performing much better when he takes the shot first time, so since he cannot hit the ball twice there, it becomes an exemplary shot more often than not. It's not a matter of mentality, I think it's genuine fear [out of lack of confidence] that causes the other situations.

    Lautaro on the other hand is fearless, but that's his problem. He acts way more on instinct than he should.
    Not lack of confidence.

    I remember one of your earlier posts here somewhere stating that Lukaku was raised to NOT do anything fancy in scoring goals. That's what it is. He is all about 'hitting the target alone is considered doing it right' type of striker. That's where the problem lies. Hence, all the ridiculous botched chances. Dude is so drilled to just blast it on target. What matters is hitting the target for him. No placement or accuracy in his shooting. It's frustrating as fuck of course, but hey, if Lukaku knows how to dribble past the GK or chip the ball, he would have cost more than 80m.

  21. #4696
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    23,439
    Thanked
    20,921 times

    Greece

    10 years of FIF Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyclifton View Post
    Not lack of confidence.

    I remember one of your earlier posts here somewhere stating that Lukaku was raised to NOT do anything fancy in scoring goals. That's what it is. He is all about 'hitting the target alone is considered doing it right' type of striker. That's where the problem lies. Hence, all the ridiculous botched chances. Dude is so drilled to just blast it on target. What matters is hitting the target for him. No placement or accuracy in his shooting. It's frustrating as fuck of course, but hey, if Lukaku knows how to dribble past the GK or chip the ball, he would have cost more than 80m.
    I mentioned that about English coaching overall, but Lukaku was already playing professional before that and I just made the remark that he may have been influenced by that since he moved to England early. That is mostly reflected on Lukaku when he's breaking face to face with the goalkeeper.

    I guess you could attribute this there, but what I mention in the above post is that Lukaku is a different player when he has someone near him or approaching him as opposed to having a free shot, whether it comes from a PK or foul, or if it's just a low pass for an unmarked first time shot. That's down to fear factor. He doesn't seem to trust that he'll make it right so he rushes a shot in, which is more often than not bad.
    <<Gli scudetti è giusto vincerli sul campo>> Antonio Conte on Calciopoli

    #ConteOut

  22. #4697
    CafeCordoba's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 04
    Posts
    26,872
    Thanked
    18,808 times
    Fav. Player
    Lautaro

    Finland

    39 10 years of FIF
    Brilliant assist to the goal.

    He fucked up badly one cross-pass earlier and should learn not to fuck up those. But the pass to Hakimi was just perfect. Just the right weighting and power.

  23. Thanks (2): MVD, thatdude

  24. #4698

    Join Date
    08 Feb 19
    Posts
    1,073
    Thanked
    965 times
    Fav. Player
    DDA, Bastoni

    United States

    Forum Supporter
    Always good effort, nice pass to Hakimi, hopefully he gets a goal or two soon.

  25. Thanks (1): eduzee

  26. #4699
    uny_arturo's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Dec 06
    Posts
    1,916
    Thanked
    976 times
    Fav. Player
    Capitano, Cuchu

    Hong Kong

    10 years of FIF
    Lauti made some important defence contribution today. He looks very alive. Hopefully he will be rewarded with a goal soon.
    Grazie Ragazzi

    Forza Inter

  27. Thanks (2): eduzee, rfU

  28. #4700
    rfU's Avatar
    Join Date
    30 Jul 09
    Posts
    3,935
    Thanked
    1,897 times
    Fav. Player
    JZ4



    10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by uny_arturo View Post
    Lauti made some important defence contribution today. He looks very alive. Hopefully he will be rewarded with a goal soon.
    Eriksen should follow his example. If you're not contributing on one end of the pitch, you better be contributing on the other. Instead of just standing around smh
    "Last person I called "Darling" was pregnant 20 seconds later!" Lord Flashheart.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •