Results 1,541 to 1,544 of 1544

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2018/2019

Fav. Player
    Thomas Delaney
    Old name
    Jrg

Denmark

17 Forum Supporter
    You rarely find as great a versatile player like Alaba that performs well on both back positions and as a midfielder. Zanetti was obviously one of a kind in terms of this and Alaba is clearly not on that level but he is still great and a bit underrated IMO. I'm sure people would rate him higher if he was able to do well in a big national team instead of Austria.

2. Thanks (2): MVD, wera

Vatican

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    I'd rather have a prime Alaba in my team than a prime Chivu.
    And I'd rather spend my time replying to someone who's familiar with the sport instead of you, but here I am.

We never had prime Chivu as a left back anyway, so your compariosn is moot. Prime Chivu was a top 5 center back in the world in the 2000s among legends like Nesta, Samuel, Stam and Cannavaro.

United States

Quote Originally Posted by J.. View Post
    You rarely find as great a versatile player like Alaba that performs well on both back positions and as a midfielder. Zanetti was obviously one of a kind in terms of this and Alaba is clearly not on that level but he is still great and a bit underrated IMO. I'm sure people would rate him higher if he was able to do well in a big national team instead of Austria.
    I just think he has been the same player he looked like becoming since Pep got there. His first few years at Bayern he was fantastic and looked like becoming the best right back in the world for the next decade. His form has dropped since then, but he's still one of the top left backs around.

5. Thanks (2): MVD, phonk

Austria

Quote Originally Posted by J.. View Post
    I have to disagree. In no universe Alaba is underrated.

The austrian national team isn't very good that is not a secret. But when you have someone like him in the team, that is hailed like a talismanic figure by many many people (also by me btw) you should at least expect him to stand up for the team and give his best, not even talking about "carrying" the team. During the 3 games at the Euros 2016 where he was used as a midfielder, he showed some of the absolute worst performances I have ever seen from a professional footballer. Whenever he got the ball you already new he would give it away, either due to a bad dribble or a bad pass. He had by far the lowest percentage of completed passes in the entire team. 2 years have passed and nothing has changed.

Then on the other hand you have Bayern. I admit I don't watch them very often (only in CL) and there he gets burned by quick wingers that are good on the ball on a regular basis. On the Bayern forum people are not very fond of him either nowadays.

He peaked very early in his career, and was a crucial part of the treble winning team, but after that his magic has worn off.
    I might come off as a hater, but that my opinion is only based on what I have seen of him in recent years. Like any other player he will be praised when he does well and criticized when he fails to deliver, and a player like him that plays for a class team like Bayern should be measured on high standards.

Maybe changing clubs will be good for him, apparently he was an Arsenal fan a kid. I could see him doing well there.

7. Thanks (4): AbdiWirajaya, dax21, firmino, MVD