Page 187 of 195 FirstFirst ... 87137177184185186187188189190 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,740 of 3883

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2018/2019

Netherlands

These past two pages managed to give me AIDS.

Fav. Player
    Lautaro

Kazakhstan

Quote Originally Posted by firmino View Post
    van der sar, ajax's ceo, said that de ligt will soon leave and move to either england or spain.

for all we know though, i wouldn't rule out that de ligt has already signed for another team and van der sar just didn't want to make it known now.
    I read an article about Ajax, particularly about Van der Sarr. So a couple of years ago their tiffosi were furious about his management and even attacked the club's bus after their defeat vs PSV. Their main anger was caused by their poor results and fans thought it's Van der Sar's fault who didn't invest money in strenghening the team. As a result or remedy to the situation, he along with Overmars decided to slightly change their core philosophy. They are basically not a 100% seller club anymore. They want to have a sustainable club for longer period, therefore they will be not only signing experienced players a la Blind, Tadic but also pursuing young talents to stay for longer at Ajax and the likes of Ziyech, Neres, De ligt are among them
    Last edited by forzainter257; 09 May 19 at 22:01.
    I have weakened bolts that fastened a brain, and have relaxed. A technical break...

3. Thanks (1): MVD

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    To be fair they were selling their players as far as i remember, that 90s side was all sold, most of these players when they do well coming from the academy want to leave. I understand their fans though and with De Jong costing 85 and other players touted for higher fees and him publicly saying they want to be competitive in the CL it's a step in the right direction.

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

It would be wonderful for Dutch football to see a genuine revival. I've never been, but there are some damn nice places to live in that country, I have to imagine. I, for one, would love to add Dutch football to my regular pattern of checking which games from which leagues I find most interesting each week.

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by K.I. View Post
    To be fair they were selling their players as far as i remember, that 90s side was all sold, most of these players when they do well coming from the academy want to leave. I understand their fans though and with De Jong costing 85 and other players touted for higher fees and him publicly saying they want to be competitive in the CL it's a step in the right direction.
    The 90s side was sold due to the Bosman rule and the changes in contract lengths that followed. Ajax wasn't a selling club prior to that but they did lose players to bigger leagues of course like van Basten and Rijkaard.

We can't really know which of these guys would have stayed if the whole sport didn't change those years.

Fav. Player
    Ronaldo

Romania

Quote Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post
    It would be wonderful for Dutch football to see a genuine revival. I've never been, but there are some damn nice places to live in that country, I have to imagine. I, for one, would love to add Dutch football to my regular pattern of checking which games from which leagues I find most interesting each week.
    Yes, my friend, beautiful country.

Greece

It would be wonderful for Dutch football to see a genuine revival..
    Not gonna happen unfortunately. Perhaps the NT will do better though.

Fav. Player
    Lautaro

Kazakhstan

here is the short interview of Van der Sar

I have weakened bolts that fastened a brain, and have relaxed. A technical break...

10. Thanks (1): MVD

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by forzainter257 View Post
    I read an article about Ajax, particularly about Van der Sarr. So a couple of years ago their tiffosi were furious about his management and even attacked the club's bus after their dedeat vs PSV. As a result or remedy to the situation, he along with Overmars decided to slightly change their core philosophy. They are basically not a 100% seller club anymore. They want to have a sustainable club for longer period, therefore they will be not only signing experienced players a la Blind, Tadic but also pursuing young talents to stay for longer at Ajax and the likes of Ziyech, Neres, De ligt are among them
    Well, not de ligt if we have to trust his (I mean Van Der Sara's) words.
    Last edited by firmino; 10 May 19 at 00:25.
    My username has nothing to do with the player of liverpool fc, it is a reference to an Italian novel.

12. Thanks (1): MVD

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    This is the CHAMPIONS League, not the "I haven't won shit" tournament.

Using that logic, the issue is with the Champions League itself, because if we go by the name, it should really only contain champions of each league ie. Inter, Roma, and Napoli should not have participated either given they are not champions of their own league.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I'm not saying that. Is it really that hard to follow?

I'm saying that this FINAL is the worst in history because the teams that are in it haven't won shit in years. This is a winners' competition and these teams do not have the necessary track record to be here. Especially Tottenham, since Liverpool is traditionally a strong European club. No one is saying that new teams should not be able to win it, but the FINAL itself is underwhelming. We could have had the most successful Spanish and Dutch teams in the final instead which obviously would not fall under this category.

If Inter was in the final against either team, the same principle would apply. It'd be a rather poor final but at least it wouldn't look like an ordinary Saturday evening fixture. But at least an Inter vs Liverpool final would have some historic spark there as both are multiple CL holders. But it'd still be fucking underwhelming given their cabinet in recent history (let's call this a decade).

Imagine Atalanta reaching the final next season vs Getafe. Sure, kudos to them, but "Champions League"? Come on... That'd be by far the worst/most underwhelming CL final of all time.
    I don't see how a final including this Liverpool team can be underwhelming. They play great football, have fought the entire season in the EPL with their highest point total, and in general play great football. They also have the history as only Milan and Real Madrid (I believe) have won it more times than they did. So what if they haven't won anything recently? If the Champions League allows teams that are not champions of their league, that this can happen (I have no issue with it at all). Also, I don't see see why having a team that has won things recently won make it better. Using that logic, PSV vs. Lokomotiv Moscow would have been a better final as they have won recently.

14. Thanks (3): andrei, Ed., ForzaNerazzurro

Fav. Player
    De Vrij

Netherlands

82 Anti-Barca Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pajo View Post
    Also the goal came in 5:01. Literally. Not 15 seconds. Still fucked up, but not as "unfair" as you make it to be.
    Ah I see.

It does still feel unfair. Ajax have a draw and a win, an away win even. Tottenham have a draw and a loss at home. Ajax should not be the one to go out.

Fuck that away goal rule, it's flawed beyond belief and this needs to be revamped.
    Bwahahahaha!!! What man would voluntarily impregnate a woman while being sober?! Our fathers were all drunk.
    -Lionheart
    Get your fucking shit together you worthless, spineless, brainless fucking cunts.
    -Universe
    FUCK BARCA

16. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    Ah I see.

It does still feel unfair. Ajax have a draw and a win, an away win even. Tottenham have a draw and a loss at home. Ajax should not be the one to go out.

Fuck that away goal rule, it's flawed beyond belief and this needs to be revamped.

Was the final score of the second game not 3-2 Tottenham?

I dislike the away goal rule as well (though I loved seeing Barca eliminated on it last year), but Spurs won that game yesterday.

18. Thanks (1): CafeCordoba

Fav. Player
    Wesley Sneijder

Greece

Most Improved Member
    Proposal to Restructure Champions League Leaves Out Most of Europe

It was the rarest of feats in modern European soccer: Ajax Amsterdam, a proud club from the Dutch league, battling its way past giants like Real Madrid and Juventus to the cusp of a place in the Champions League final.

Ajax’s journey, which began in the summer qualifying rounds and was ended by an injury-time goal in the semifinals on Wednesday, was the kind of puncher’s chance that every small club dreams of in the Champions League. But it is unlikely to be repeated if concrete proposals for the future of European soccer drawn up by the continent’s governing body and its richest clubs come to fruition.

While officials from the continent’s biggest clubs and UEFA, which governs the sport in Europe and organizes the Champions League, have suggested that there is a suite of options on the table, documents obtained by The New York Times outline only one developed plan. If approved, it would calcify the Champions League into a competition dominated by a small group of elite clubs and leave as few as four of its 32 places available for teams from leagues in Europe’s 55 national federations.

Discussions over the proposed changes have proved divisive, pitting national leagues — led by England’s Premier League, La Liga in Spain and competitions in Germany and France — against some of their own members. But the documents reviewed by The Times, the product of a project that appears to have been in the works for more than a year, present a more formidable threat to domestic leagues and most clubs than previously known.

If approved, they would result in a Champions League that could render national competitions nearly irrelevant, impose significant barriers to entry for teams outside the game’s current elite and deepen the divide between the two dozen richest clubs and the hundreds of others that make up the bulk of the European game.

Officials from the domestic leagues were shown the proposal for restructured European competitions this week. The new tournaments would, starting in 2024, allow the top 24 teams in a 32-team Champions League to qualify automatically for the next season’s event, effectively guaranteeing them annual participation and tens of millions of dollars more in broadcasting revenue than their domestic rivals would receive. Those rivals would most likely be unable to match the rich clubs’ spending power and would find it prohibitively difficult to play their way into the Champions League on the field.

The biggest clubs, notably those from Spain and Italy, are pushing the proposals the hardest, according to people familiar with the

discussions. They argue that the changes are needed to provide more fiscal certainty year after year.

UEFA has been in talks about proposals for months with the European Club Association, a group that is led by Juventus’s chairman, Andrea Agnelli, and is driving the campaign for an elite competition. UEFA belatedly met with representatives of Europe’s leagues on Wednesday. After the meeting, Aleksander Ceferin, the UEFA president, said, “At the moment we have only ideas and opinions.”

Some leaders of European leagues who were present did not accept that description, pointing out that only one proposal had been presented — a formal one with charts and graphics that was created without input from the leagues. The Spanish league president Javier Tebas, a vocal critic of the plans, said after the meeting that the plans were so developed that there appeared to be little room for negotiation.

“We cannot accept that these are just plans and proposals for an open discussion with stakeholders about the future of professional football,” Tebas told The Times. “In reality, we were presented with a concrete project developed by UEFA in full cooperation with a small group of rich and powerful European clubs to reform European club competitions after 2024 in a format that could destroy domestic competitions and the sporting and financial sustainability of the vast majority of clubs in Europe.

We are open for a constructive dialogue to reform European football together with other stakeholders, but if this is the project on the table, then the margins for negotiations are very limited.”

While the Champions League’s main competition will continue to be the 32-team event it is today, UEFA envisages substantial changes to its format to ensure a longer group stage in which teams would play in four groups of eight, with the top four teams qualifying for the knockout stages. Such a setup would create dozens more matchups of elite clubs to sell to broadcasters, with some perhaps on weekend dates that are traditionally reserved for domestic league play.

Champions from lower-profile leagues like those in the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal and most of Eastern Europe, as well as elite-league clubs outside the top four or five spots in their domestic competitions, would be relegated to a 32-team second-tier competition and to a third division with 64 teams. Teams would be eligible to be promoted and relegated among the three divisions, but the financial resources available to those at the top could create a competitive advantage that might secure their places in the Champions League for the foreseeable future. Only four of the 32 places would be reserved for incoming clubs each season.

Leaders of Europe’s domestic leagues fear the changes could reduce their competitions to fourth-tier afterthoughts behind the three European competitions, while small and medium-size clubs have expressed concern that their fans would no longer have the chance to dream of even competing against the continent’s biggest clubs for Europe’s biggest prizes.

“The objective of football is to give happiness to fans, and to give happiness is to have a chance of winning,” said Bernard Caiazzo, the owner of the French team St.-Étienne.

The uncertainty has already prevented some teams from securing outside investment, according to Caiazzo. His club, once a power in European competition, had been in talks with minority investors who have now cooled on buying a minority stake, he said.

St.-Étienne has a storied past, having won 10 French championships during a heyday that ended with its last league title in 1981. In recent years, it has found itself among the also-rans in France’s Ligue 1, as first Lyon and now Paris St.-Germain — a club whose rise has been financed by seemingly endless infusions of cash from its Qatari owners — have dominated French soccer.

He said he worried that the proposed Champions League overhaul would leave new owners with no reason to invest.

“Of course, these investors, new investors, will consider if we close the system that of course they could suddenly be outside,” Caiazzo said.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/09/s...ructuring.html
    Luis Figo: "When I signed for Inter it was simply about looking for football happiness."

20. Thanks (1): MVD

Greece

Yeah, this plan sucks. Let's kick football's coffin further deep into the ground.

Italy

van der sar still speaks a fairly good italian, even more so considering he has only spent two years in the country and it was almost 20 years ago.

to sky sport italia, he said (https://video.sky.it/sport/calcio/ch...ta/v509564.vid), around minute 2: "hai giŕ detto di de jong al barcellona, de ligt inghilterra o spagna, forse per loro č l'ultima occasione per vincere qualcosa di speciale con l'ajax".

---> "you have already said about de jong to barcelona, as for de ligt england or spain. maybe for them it's the last chance to win something special with ajax".
    My username has nothing to do with the player of liverpool fc, it is a reference to an Italian novel.

23. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Dutch people are like that with languages
    Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    if Mauro doesn't leave this summer, I'm moving to Forza Wolverhampton Forums until he does
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

Fav. Player
    De Vrij

Netherlands

82 Anti-Barca Forum Supporter
    Was the final score of the second game not 3-2 Tottenham?

I dislike the away goal rule as well (though I loved seeing Barca eliminated on it last year), but Spurs won that game yesterday.
    Right. I kept thinking about the 3-3. Still drunk I suppose.
    Bwahahahaha!!! What man would voluntarily impregnate a woman while being sober?! Our fathers were all drunk.
    -Lionheart
    Get your fucking shit together you worthless, spineless, brainless fucking cunts.
    -Universe
    FUCK BARCA

26. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Fuck UEFA.

Fav. Player
    Diego Milito

Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    Imagine only league champions playing. You would only have 4 real contenders and teams like Maribor in the knockout stages
    ye, barcelona, city, bayern and psg

what a pitty
    Inter Banter era 2011-

regista- vecino
    trequartista- nainggolan
    fantasista- candreva
    prima punta- ranocchia

Macedonia

No, I'm not saying that. Is it really that hard to follow?

I'm saying that this FINAL is the worst in history because the teams that are in it haven't won shit in years. This is a winners' competition and these teams do not have the necessary track record to be here. Especially Tottenham, since Liverpool is traditionally a strong European club. No one is saying that new teams should not be able to win it, but the FINAL itself is underwhelming. We could have had the most successful Spanish and Dutch teams in the final instead which obviously would not fall under this category.

If Inter was in the final against either team, the same principle would apply. It'd be a rather poor final but at least it wouldn't look like an ordinary Saturday evening fixture. But at least an Inter vs Liverpool final would have some historic spark there as both are multiple CL holders. But it'd still be fucking underwhelming given their cabinet in recent history (let's call this a decade).

Imagine Atalanta reaching the final next season vs Getafe. Sure, kudos to them, but "Champions League"? Come on... That'd be by far the worst/most underwhelming CL final of all time.
    I see your point.

But, give Liverpool the benefit of a doubt that this weekend (fucking hopefully) they'll snatch the EPL title and this "didn't win shit for years" fact will change.

As for tottenham, I dislike them. That's why I don't want them to win the final. I don't care if they won something yesterday or 100 years ago. Fuck them, I want to see them destroyed. I hate them because on two occasions we could've eliminate them (2013 Europa League) and this season in the groups. But this doesn't mean I don't hold a grudge against Inter for letting them through so easily.

Long story short, fuck tottenham, Forza Liverpool. Maybe to some my dislike towards spurs would seem irrational (all so-called "feelings" are irrational tbh) but I want to be honest.