Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1219202122

Thread: FIF's Dramatic last day of the Mercato - Summer 2018

Vatican

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Adnan View Post
    We're not disagreeing. I do think that it was a perfect mercato until we finished it without the missing midfielder. That midfielder was worth atleast 3 points in my ratings. That's why I've rated it 7/10. We just have a different rating measurement, but our general idea is the same. No midfielder = inability to break parked defenses outside Giuseppe Meazza. It's been our trademark.
    We've always struggled with that. Even when Sneijder was here, who seems like the benchmark for this quality, we struggled a lot to beat defences. His main asset was scoring/shooting from distance and knowing when and how to pass. The first attribute was more key than the second in Italy. And it only in the CL final that we really saw him make a big, potentially game-winning assist. His set pieces for example were far more crucial than his ingame passing ability in the Tripleta season. As were his goals.

I also do not see any other teams have such a player. And generally speaking, there aren't many around. Banega could fit his role if we surrounded him with two tireles engines, but he'd still be a liability when he doesn't have the ball. After Modric and de Bruyne, there aren't that many modern players that can do this. And neither are very creative either, they're just very effective. Juventus has Dybala and Bernardeschi who have this skill (Douglas Costa is also an effective passing player, but not the creative sort). Roma has no one. Milan has no one. Lazio has Milinkovic and there's also Luis Alberto. Napoli has no one really, it's just trying to pull lobs to the other side that beats the defence for Callejon or Insigne or deeper balls towards Mertens. And there aren't that many in top European clubs either. It's just too rare these days.

What we need is to overwhelm teams with players running towards them. Vecino doesn't really do that. Gagliardini stopped doing it 4 months after he arrived at Inter, Brozovic plays deeper now, Valero bizarrely does this but he's too exhausted to make something out of it and I won't even comment on Joao Mario. This is also why I wanted Vidal to come. Him and Nainggolan would overwhelm defences and break them apart, leaving more space for our wingers. Now with Nainggolan we still can partly achieve this, but we'll lack the player who will calm the game. Brozovic can grow into that role if or once the midfield gels with Nainggolan and maybe one of Gagliardini and Vecino, but that's a reach at the moment.

2. Thanks (4): AbdiWirajaya, BUCHROM, Cˇmi, Dylan

Fav. Player
    Zanetti, Icardi

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    We've always struggled with that. Even when Sneijder was here, who seems like the benchmark for this quality, we struggled a lot to beat defences. His main asset was scoring/shooting from distance and knowing when and how to pass. The first attribute was more key than the second in Italy. And it only in the CL final that we really saw him make a big, potentially game-winning assist. His set pieces for example were far more crucial than his ingame passing ability in the Tripleta season. As were his goals.
    Banger of a cross-field through-ball while falling over to Eto'o to win the game against Chelsea
    Inter Banter Era; 2011-2018 Mudingayi, Schelotto, Rocchi Gone but not forgotten

4. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, Balor

Vatican

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by YoramG View Post
    Banger of a cross-field through-ball while falling over to Eto'o to win the game against Chelsea
    +1 then, completely slipped my mind.

What I mean is that whilst Sneijder had that trait, it wasn't what stood out about him, at least in Serie A. And that it's also a very rare characteristic for moden players. Look at who the best midfielders are considered today and tell me how many could pull that kind of pass off?

6. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, YoramG

Fav. Player
    Zanetti, Icardi

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    +1 then, completely slipped my mind.

What I mean is that whilst Sneijder had that trait, it wasn't what stood out about him, at least in Serie A. And that it's also a very rare characteristic for moden players. Look at who the best midfielders are considered today and tell me how many could pull that kind of pass off?
    Nah I was just being pedantic, I know what you mean. He definitely had the vision to unlock defences though; even if the ball from Sneijder wasn't a direct assist, it could often lead to an easy pull back for a tap in or the like.

Rafinha and Nainggolan could have complemented each other really well I feel, one with the intricate passing and another with a bullish presence and a good long range shot. Ah well, let's just get to January and see how we do, no point crying over spilled mercatos.
    Inter Banter Era; 2011-2018 Mudingayi, Schelotto, Rocchi Gone but not forgotten

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Fapuccino View Post
    People need to take a chill pill. I'm sure half these players will end up injured or be shit. It always happens.

I see this often times in EPL. Every club thinks they're set and everything in the market, and you start seeing who the really good players are and aren't, and by the end of the season 2-3 of those top 7 clubs are calling for manager to be fired.
    Wrote this a few days back. I mentioned this several times, but judging a mercato without a proper stress test, is mostly useless.

Every club that gets some new transfer thinks they're all set and shit, but there are only 4 spots, and too many teams competing for them. Someone is going to fail.
    Team #Dare2Mazzari #Messi4Inter #Messi4AsadoClan

9. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, Balor

Fav. Player
    Il Fenomeno

Italy

So now because of this first game we are already start talking about fourth place and a bad mercato?

Ok, maybe/probably we won't win the scudetto. But there are a lot of reasons why we lost this game. Before i judge i want to see the next 3-4 games. Then maybe we can say if we are Top 2 team or Top 5. But im sure that this was not the Inter we will see.

Juve won only in the 93 minute against Chievo with the full starting team. Roma a lucky 1-0, still with a lot of starting players.
    Nel bene e nel male, forza Internazionale!!

#InterIsGone

antijinx

11. Thanks (4): AbdiWirajaya, Balor, Dylan, thatdude

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

England

Most Serious Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by ElDuccio View Post
    So now because of this first game we are already start talking about fourth place
    To be fair, some of us (including moi) were talking about Top 4 being our objective this season even before yesterday.

Some people were getting a bit carried away by Inter buying a few talented players, specially the media hype. Our first team hasn't improved much. Marginal improvements at AM and RW, a bit of a downgrade on RB - the only position we have improved considerably is LB (when Asamoah plays there). The only good news from this mercato is that we have a better bench strength, which we will need coz of the extra CL games.

My only expectation from this Inter is to secure Top 4 before the final day, and improve on the 72 point tally from last season. I would be happy with that.

13. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, moii, SiamoNoi

Fav. Player
    Ibra_Deki_Mtrix

Romania

55 10 years of FIF
    You guys hurried to close the Modric thread, so here you go:

Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric has branded claims that he approached Inter ‘the biggest load of nonsense’.

It emerged over the weekend that Madrid could not accuse Inter of tapping up Modric as the Croatian had reportedly contacted the Nerazzurri via his agent, citing a desire to play with countrymen Marcelo Brozovic, Ivan Perisic and Sime Vrsaljko.

The story was posted on Instagram by the account ‘futbollalreves’, to which Modric replied ‘this is the biggest load of nonsense!!!’

The 33-year-old ultimately stayed with Los Blancos, appearing as a second-half substitute against Getafe on Sunday.

#RiPrendiRafinha + #PrendiNicol˛Barella

NULLA ╔ IMPOSSIBILE PER QUESTA SQUADRA! PAZZA INTER AMALA * FORZA INTER PER SEMPRE

15. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, MVD, SiamoNoi

Fav. Player

Europe

Yea right, after two months saga everyone claim that they contacted noone.
    "There are two big teams in Milano. Inter and Inter Primavera"
    "Dell'Alpi empty? You can buy games, but you can't buy real fans"
    "A prognostic for Juventus - Milan? I hope they will both lose"

-Peppino Prisco

Build the new stadium already!

17. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Fav. Player
    Tomas Locatelli

Kuwait

19 10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    Probably BS so Real Madrid wins the case against us.
    "Alla Juve non sono dei gentlemen, Ŕ la mafia" Karl Heinz Rummenigge

19. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Iran

Modric will get his pay rise as he wanted and on other side we will suffer until January. MF was our main problem last season and not strengthing it was a bad decision.

21. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Spain

10 years of FIF
    I hate Modric with passion actually.

23. Thanks (1): SiamoNoi

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

United States

SiamoNoi was right all along

25. Thanks (1): SiamoNoi

Fav. Player
    Cambiasso

Croatia

Quote Originally Posted by IRR26 View Post
    Kind of weird how massively this lack of strong midfield emerged in this first game. Many here notice it and payed attention that it is the weak spot. Rafinha did wonders last year. The price was too high but now again we are this situation where the tempo is too slow which make Inter predictable.

Now Spalletti needs to make a tactic that won't rely on central midfield creativity but uses strong wing play. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Yea last season tactic and it didn't work anymore after december came.
    Yeah,Uruguay on the WC.It can work.

Also we have more depth on wing now.

Fav. Player
    Vieri, Baggio

Austria

Forum Supporter
    While Dortmund are already praising Witsel ...