Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Copa Libertadores Final 2018

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Another detail that makes this fixture epic is how the teams got in the final.

But specially for River's case as they lost 0-1 to current holders Gremio in the first semi final. Then they ended up losing 1-0 in Brazil as well only to turn things around in the late second half. Then, destiny had awaken and with a 95th minute PK goal, River was through to the final after 3 years.

Boca on the other hand faced Palmeiras in both the groups and the semis. Palmeiras dominated the results in the group stage but Boca won 2-0 at home in the first semi and looked to control the tie and then managed to draw 2-2 in the return game to meet their arch rivals in the final.

The Libertadores has a ranking system after the group stage ends to decide the knockout stage where Palmeiras was seeded #1 and Gremio #2. River Plate were #4 while Boca Juniors were #14 which essentially means that they won all their knockout games with the crucial game away.

P.S. Gallardo was a Monaco player for many years. He did play for PSG as well for half a season in the end of his career. He wasn't a world beater but he was an important player for Argentina in the 90s.

2. Thanks (1): MVD

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Great game so far, River Plate playing a lot better, missed some chances but credit to Boca for taking their chances.

4. Thanks (1): MVD

Greece

6. Thanks (3): K.I., MVD, thatdude

United States

Looked an exciting game.

Does Tevez not regularly start for Bocs anymore?

8. Thanks (1): MVD

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Def was, it was the same as the last time i watch Boca or a Libertadores match, just end to end attacking play with both teams jut going for it. Cant wait for the return leg. I have to say the 2 legs though and having no away fans takes away so much from a match like this. I understand the safety concerns though.

Not sure about Tevez, from what was written here and in the media is he is not at a level good enough to start a match like this, even though when he came on he was a threat.

10. Thanks (1): thatdude

Greece

I'm sure RPalacio8 is either still drunk or still gutted from the game

Greece

There are rumours in Russia and Italy that Leandro Paredes got sent off on purpose to be able to attend the Boca-River game. He's a Boca youth product.

Maybe this is true for Higuain as well who came from River

13. Thanks (1): MVD

Greece

A couple of notable heroes and legends of these two clubs. There a fuckload of them, but I'll keep it to the basic stuff.

Alfredo Di Stefano (River Plate)

Diego Armando Maradona (Boca Juniors)

Enzo Francescoli (River Plate) [aka El Principe, and the reason why his lookalike Diego Milito was also called El Principe - it became 'Il Principe' in Italian of course]

Juan Roman Riquelme (Boca Juniors)

Angel Labruna (River Plate)

Quite possibly the greatest River Plate player of all time, part of River Plate's historic 'La Maquina' which was considered the greatest team of all time in South America [similar time period as Grande Torino of Valentino Mazzola], the club's top goal scorer and also the 2nd best goalscorer in Argentina top flight football. As with Valentino Mazzola, one of the names that the world of football should respect more.

Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors)

El Loco, Boca's top scorer in all competitions. Doesn't need much introduction. Most famous probably for missing three penalties in one game playing for Argentina.

15. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    Enzo Francescoli (River Plate) [aka El Principe, and the reason why his lookalike Diego Milito was also called El Principe - it became 'Il Principe' in Italian of course]
    Jesus, the resemblance is uncanny
    Strachan can suck my tiny schlong

Quote Originally Posted by Glass box View Post
    One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

17. Thanks (2): Devious, MVD

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Egypt

10 years of FIF Most Diverse Poster
    Who cares about some Latino match :dylan:

Quote Originally Posted by .h. View Post
    for 11m a year you can call me princess sheila while you dildo me in the ass every night, and i promise you my heart would be in it.

19. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Radamel Fkingco

Colombia

10 years of FIF
    6 Colombians 4 at Boca and 2 (3 if you count Armani)at River

I want River to win. Always liked them better

Have a better coach and roster. They tied away and will lift the cup. Funny how much better this team got. Argentina changed how their league was designed when River got demoted. To bring them back to 1st divison and now they will be champions of South America
    VAR is some serious Bullshit!

Greece

Well, that already happened in 2015. That 4 year rollercoaster for River was too intense.

Fav. Player
    Palacio; Samuel

Argentina

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    I'm sure RPalacio8 is either still drunk or still gutted from the game
    hahaha sorry I didn't reply, I had an important exam yesterday and tried not to distract myself

It was a great match I imagine for neutral spectators, I actually had at least 4 heart attacks during the match, chanted and jumped like I had never before, screamed like I had never before when Wanchope scored the 1st goal, insulted, suffered, got happy again after Boca scored again, and suffered again...

Anyway, now it's all or nothing, don't give up on Boca just yet. It might seem river has a better chance to win this final, but in the world of football everything can happen, and I'm sure it will be another exciting match to watch

Finally, some personal videos (of course I just recorded videos before the game began, I was too anxious to record anything during the match)

And some highlights for those who didn't watch the game:

23. Thanks (3): K.I., MVD, thatdude

Greece

Boca Juniors fans attend their team's final training session at the Bombonera. No further comments needed...

25. Thanks (3): abuali, MVD, thatdude

Greece

Great River Plate video depicting the emotional rollercoaster that club has been through in the last years.

27. Thanks (1): MVD

Colombia

Wow River fans may have ruined the final. They threw glasses and pepper spray gas to bocas bus. A lot of players were affected, final might be cancelled.

29. Thanks (2): I4E, MVD

Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    Wow River fans may have ruined the final. They threw glasses and pepper spray gas to bocas bus. A lot of players were affected, final might be cancelled.
    Conmebol announced that the game will be delayed until 18:00 local time. Think that's 2 hours ahead of the normal kick off.

https://twitter.com/CONMEBOL/status/1066416910227640326

edit, correction: That means that the game would be delayed by 1 hour total. So in 25 minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently Boca Juniors were saying that their player, Pablo Perez, was badly injured with cuts in the arm and with an eye injury. You can spot him on the bottom right of the picture...

yet another EDIT: River Plate says the game will start at 19:15 local time. Meaning in around 1 and a half hour from now, 23:15 CET.
    Last edited by brehme1989; 24 Nov 18 at 20:36.

31. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Skrinrar

Scotland

31 Forum Supporter
    Infantino has just told @TanoAngelici that if Boca do not play today, they will be disqualified. #Libertadores2018
    Didn't think anyone would be worse than Blatter, i have never been more wrong.

Boca captain has been taken to hospital
    Strachan can suck my tiny schlong

Quote Originally Posted by Glass box View Post
    One day FIF should organize and we should go all together to watch a game. At least 50 people. Tickets are on me.

33. Thanks (3): firmino, MVD, n4l

Fav. Player
    Che squadraccia

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member
    But Infantino uno di noi
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

\_(ツ)_/

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

If these reports are correct, the FIFA president has to resign immediately, if not fired.

If i was the Boca president i would do what the players & medical staff tell me. I am not sure how far the injuries were and i know the fans on both teams wouldnt have like this but safety of players should be the first priority.

36. Thanks (1): MVD