Thread: FF list of top 50 managers of all time

Fav. Player
    Wesley Sneijder

Greece

Most Improved Member

FF list of top 50 managers of all time

France Football posted a list of top 50 managers of all time. According to the French publication, the criteria are trophies won, influence on the game, their personality and how it has influenced managers who have followed. I thought it would be an interestic topic to discuss.

Here's their list:

2. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, MVD

Fav. Player
    D.Milito

Somalia

Fraudiola above Mourinho

Quote Originally Posted by danz View Post
    Can we beg to FIFA to convert , lets say 30 crosses per game into 1 goal?

4. Thanks (1): Devious

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    I respect France Football, but I'm pretty confident that their metric was skewed in a way to bring out these results more or less.

Trophies won is not a good objective indication. The metric should be trophies won compared to expectations. So if you win a trophy without expecting it, you should get a bonus. That's for example Mourinho winning the CL with Porto and Rehhagel winning the Euro with Greece in the same year. Guardiola winning the Liga and Ferguson winning the Premierleague should not 'pay' the same or more than Irureta winning the Liga with Deportivo or Klopp winning his first with Dortmund. And obviously Ranieri winning with Leicester should be more valuable on this than Guardiola winning with Man City.

So here's my first major objection. Not that a bunch of trophies is not a great sign, but you have to account for competition and all that. I agree that Ferguson is a top manager in the sport, but he's #2 because he won so many PL titles with one of the wealthiest clubs in the world in a rather poor league at the beginning and then started winning again when his club decided to spend more (2007-2013), not because he changed football.

I'm interested to see how "influence" is measured here because it is for me the #1 criterion in these things. Back to Alex Ferguson, he didn't really influence football, he influenced 1+1 football clubs (Man Utd and also Aberdeen). He wasn't some sort of revolutionary, he was almost sacked the year before he won the first league title. On the other hand, Guardiola did influence football and created a new brand. So did Spalletti who started the false 9 madness with Totti. So did Zdenek Zeman. Surely you need the success to follow, but influence and perennial relevance is very important.

Rijkaard being on the list as well is quite laughable.

Netherlands

I think Wenger deserves to be higher on the list. He was ahead of his times when he took over Arsenal in terms of using advanced metrics to scout. Calling Zidane the 22nd greatest manager ever when he's managed for three seasons is also a stretch.

Fav. Player
    Matias Vecino

Spain

10 years of FIF
    Del Bosque...? lol

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    There doesn't seem to be much consistency either. For example looking at Capello and comparing with Klopp, there should be a much larger chasm between them.

Also very surprised to not see Vittorio Pozzo on the list. Granted he was mostly the Italian NT coach, but he did win 2 World Cups and he did change how football was played in continental Europe. Herbert Chapman on the other hand who was his contemporary and has merely managed to create an Arsenal dynasty in England that went on to win without him more than with him is in the top 25...

Just gonna leave this here as well for comparison purposes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_...rs_of_all_time

It's merely a Top 5 voting that's aggreggated, so a direct comparison would be futile. The #1 doesn't necessarily mean that he's rated as Top 1 but he's the most popular choice amongst the Top 5s. There should be a large degree of correlation of course in that, but we don't know who'd get the most Top 1 votes.

9. Thanks (1): AbdiWirajaya

Fav. Player
    Spalletti!
    Old name
    icardiscores

Slovenia

91 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Optimistic Member Most Passionate Member
    no Spallo in top 50 or lord Mancini?! pff...trash shit from FF
    http://img-comment-lol.9cache.com/me...25_700wa_0.gif

Spallo Inter coach for the next 5 years!

11. Thanks (1): MVD

Ireland

65 10 years of FIF
    That list is a joke, so many managers ahead of others that have won more trophies over a longer period of time. Simeone ahead of Rafa, Brian Clough ahead of Bob Paisley to name just 2. And Pep in 5th ffs, laughable list.