View Poll Results: Rate the player

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Will be one of the absolutely best players in the history of the game (think Meazza, Matheus)

5 4.07%
  • 9 - Will be one of the club legends, and become one of the best players in the world of their era

17 13.82%
  • 8 - A player of very good quality, who will add much to the team, one of the best nationalwise

73 59.35%
  • 7 - Good player, a valuble asset of a team, one of the 10-15 best on his position in the country

14 11.38%
  • 6 - Above average player, who will be usefull, but will never be a key player for a team

6 4.88%
  • 5 - Completely average player

1 0.81%
  • 4 - Below average, not a disaster, but would be better if we didn't sign him in the first place

1 0.81%
  • 3 - Anonymous player who will never be remembered through the fact nobody expected anything from him

0 0%
  • 2 - Close to a useless player, who will add nothing to the team besides filling the CL quota

0 0%
  • 1 - Crap, shit, useless player, worst buisness ever, Mancini, Quaresma and Gresko combined

6 4.88%
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 283536373839 LastLast

Thread: Nicoḷ Barella

Fav. Player
    DDA, Bastoni

United States

Lots of energy, lots of potential and it appears, lots of yellow cards in the future.

Fav. Player
    Icardi

Saudi Arabia

A lot to improve. I still think he is a bit overrated, especially here.
    Forza Inter

United States

This kids a beast and better then Brozovic already for me. One bad touch today but he’s going to be a top midfielder in a few seasons.

Fav. Player
    Bastoni

Holy See

Love him. The balls on him despite his young age and how much passion he shows on the pitch are an easy seller for me. Of course he's a very good bulldog player already with plenty of facets to his game to improve which leaves me very giddy on how just how good he'll turn out to be.

5. Thanks (3): AbdiWirajaya, magnesium, MVD

Fav. Player
    Skriniar37

Indonesia

Typical Conte player, High workrate. Perfect linkup between Brozovic and Valero. Cause they are so slow. Especially Valero.
    Lautaro Martínez: Argentina's next big thing
    Milan Skriniar : Next Best Defender In The World

Fav. Player
    Inter1-0Wanda
    Old name
    browha

Europe

25 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I'd really like to see him increase his output. I like him and all but was expecting a few more goals than just 3 this season.

Fav. Player
    Nicolooo

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    He hasn't been good since the restart. Not sure if it's cos he is just back from the injury, or the role is stifling him. I believe it's the latter.

We need him to be the baller we know he is.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

9. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, Universe

Fav. Player
    Inter1-0Wanda
    Old name
    browha

Europe

barella, sensi, eriksen, broz, these guys are all great midfielders for highly dynamic midfields, where you trust each other.

the problem with gags, valero, etc - and you can really see it on the pitch - is that no one is 100% confident that, when they pass, it doesnt immediately turn into a counter attack. There was a game two weeks ago where Valero came on for Eriksen, and he tried to switch flanks with the ball around the halfway line, and it got intercepted and led to a counter attack

If you feel 'free' to attack and take risks, then its much much easier to be one of these guys.

Fav. Player
    Che squadraccia

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member
    In reply to both rockball and browha, he has been injured for sizeable chunks of the season. That accounts partly, for both recent form and general lack of goals but he's very obviously not a natural goalscorer anyhow. I think most of his goals at Cagliari were penalties.

He needs to calm down, in front of goal but just in general too. He had a fantastic breakaway against Milan, one against Lazio and one today and he absolutely murdered all 3 of them when essentially 1v1 with the keeper. While his Fiorentina and Slavia goals were typical of what we want to see, for each of those, we saw him swing wildly and whiff at 20 other balls.

I suspect he'll never be a Hamsik or Lampard but dude will mature over time and hopefully improve his goal scoring - namely his composure when shooting, because he's not lacking technically.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fav. Player
    Inter1-0Wanda
    Old name
    browha

Europe

yeah, i dont expect him to score 15 or 20 goals a season by any stretch, but was hoping he'd score like 5 in the league at least. I thoughgt he'd offer a nice threat from range at the edge of the box, for example.

In principle he should have been decent on the counterattack too.

13. Thanks (1): firmino

Fav. Player
    JZ4

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    I suspect he'll never be a Hamsik or Lampard
    Do such midfielders exist anymore? Ballacks, Yaya Toures, Gerards, etc. Midfielders have more defensive duties in the game today, you're looking at max 5-6 goals in the league nowadays.
    "Last person I called "Darling" was pregnant 20 seconds later!" Lord Flashheart.

Fav. Player
    Nicolooo

Falkland Islands

Goalscoring midfielders will always be a plenty. De Bruyne, Vidal, Bruno, Pjanic, Veretout, are just some who take up different midfield positions from being very deep, or wide, or a bit advanced.

With Barella I am not expecting a lot of goals, he doesn't have too good a shot. But he is capable of creating a lot of plays and assists. That has been missing from his play. I believe it is more about the tactics. There is hardly any space our midfielders get, cos of the way Conte sets them up. This is why even Eriksen will suffer to score many long range goals like he used to.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

16. Thanks (1): Universe

Fav. Player
    Lautaro

Finland

39 10 years of FIF
    He's immense but he simply needs to calm the fuck down. So much frustration, and showing it, and taking yellow card in almost every match. He needs to get the anticipation right so he's not late in those chances in every match (resulting to a card).

He's in very defensive role so his goal scoring is obviously suffering.

18. Thanks (1): Universe

Fav. Player
    ur mom
    Old name
    icardiscores

Slovenia

91 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Optimistic Member Most Passionate Member
    He has the south Italian hot head syndrome, he will always be like this.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

20. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    JZ4

Quote Originally Posted by rockball View Post
    Goalscoring midfielders will always be a plenty. De Bruyne, Vidal, Bruno, Pjanic, Veretout
    Half of their goals are penalties or freekicks. Pjanic hasn't scored more than 5 in years. DeBruyne plays for 70% possession team and is the designated set piece taker (penalties and freekicks). Bruno plays further forward and again half his goals are from set pieces. It's very unrealistic to expect the same from Barella. Expect 3 goals, maximum 5 a season. Same for Brozo. Eriksen on the other hand we can expect 8-10 goals
    "Last person I called "Darling" was pregnant 20 seconds later!" Lord Flashheart.

22. Thanks (1): thatdude

Quote Originally Posted by JJM View Post
    He has the south Italian hot head syndrome, he will always be like this.

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk
    He's from Sardegna, so it's even worse.

24. Thanks (4): AbdiWirajaya, JJM, MVD, Universe

Fav. Player
    Che squadraccia

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfU View Post
    Half of their goals are penalties or freekicks. Pjanic hasn't scored more than 5 in years. DeBruyne plays for 70% possession team and is the designated set piece taker (penalties and freekicks). Bruno plays further forward and again half his goals are from set pieces. It's very unrealistic to expect the same from Barella. Expect 3 goals, maximum 5 a season. Same for Brozo. Eriksen on the other hand we can expect 8-10 goals
    But the exact same applies to the examples you named like Ballack, Yaya Toure and Gerrard. According to transfermarkt, Ballack scored 29 penalties and 8 free kicks in his career. Yaya Toure scored 15 penalties and 9 free kicks. Gerrard scored a whopping 46 penalties and 10 free kicks. Just for reference, Lampard, arguably the goalscoring midfielder, scored 64 set pieces out of 265 career goals - 25%.

My point is that "goalscoring midfielders" have always had heavy overlap with set piece takers and with good reason. They possess the necessary technical skill and composure to put the ball in the net when the opportunity presents itself. While these skills aren't necessarily exclusive to set piece taking, there is of course a correlation. And tbh, nothing I've seen from Barella indicates that I ever want to see him standing over a penalty or free kick.

I think I understand your point though - that these guys, on memory at least, seemed to score a lot more from open play. When one says "goalscoring midfielder", the mental image is of Lampard / Hamsik making a late run into the box and putting the ball in the net, not some goon taking 40 penalties. You also don't tend to think of AM's like Silva, Coutinho.

I would say players like Nainggolan, Pogba and SMS are true goalscoring mids and different to our mids, but maybe you're right that there's less of them in general. I've actually heard a lot of people argue this, especially in EPL circles, which is no coincidence IMO considering the retirements of guys like Lampard, Gerrard, Toure. Interesting thought.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

26. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, rfU

Fav. Player

Albania

Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeCordoba View Post
    He's immense but he simply needs to calm the fuck down. So much frustration, and showing it, and taking yellow card in almost every match. He needs to get the anticipation right so he's not late in those chances in every match (resulting to a card).

He's in very defensive role so his goal scoring is obviously suffering.
    If his partner was a pure DM, barella would have scored many goals. But playing next to Brozo or Gag
    Puts a lot stress on Barella to focus on covering for them.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Who cares? Him lacking goals doesnt bother me a little bit. I am personally more concerned about his aggression, I THINK he will get better at it as the tie goes by, but i am concerned. He cannot do it, if one of those starts injures a player badly he will get like 10 games suspension. Also, he is getting yellow card like every second game, and no player plays the same in defense after getting booked.

I just want him to calm the fuck down, and bring us defensive coverage, dynamism, to bring the ball forward better and dont lose the ball in dangerous position. We need security in the midfield. Him scoring more goals is just a bonus.
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

29. Thanks (2): AbdiWirajaya, rfU

Fav. Player
    Nicolooo

Falkland Islands

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    But the exact same applies to the examples you named like Ballack, Yaya Toure and Gerrard. According to transfermarkt, Ballack scored 29 penalties and 8 free kicks in his career. Yaya Toure scored 15 penalties and 9 free kicks. Gerrard scored a whopping 46 penalties and 10 free kicks. Just for reference, Lampard, arguably the goalscoring midfielder, scored 64 set pieces out of 265 career goals - 25%.

My point is that "goalscoring midfielders" have always had heavy overlap with set piece takers and with good reason. They possess the necessary technical skill and composure to put the ball in the net when the opportunity presents itself. While these skills aren't necessarily exclusive to set piece taking, there is of course a correlation. And tbh, nothing I've seen from Barella indicates that I ever want to see him standing over a penalty or free kick.

I think I understand your point though - that these guys, on memory at least, seemed to score a lot more from open play. When one says "goalscoring midfielder", the mental image is of Lampard / Hamsik making a late run into the box and putting the ball in the net, not some goon taking 40 penalties. You also don't tend to think of AM's like Silva, Coutinho.

I would say players like Nainggolan, Pogba and SMS are true goalscoring mids and different to our mids, but maybe you're right that there's less of them in general. I've actually heard a lot of people argue this, especially in EPL circles, which is no coincidence IMO considering the retirements of guys like Lampard, Gerrard, Toure. Interesting thought.
    I didn't respond to the other post since it was going off-topic.

I don't agree that there are not enough goal scoring midfielders in the world. I gave a few examples earlier, and there are many more which can be added to them. What I feel has changed are the tactics. You look at Inter plays, or how Man City plays. There is so much overloading around the box, that there is hardly any time or space there for a midfielder to take a shot. City have a bunch of amazing midfielders who have a good shot on them. Gungodan, De Bruyne, Silva are all well capable of it. But the amount of goals they score from shots isn't commensurate to their ability, or the total number of goals that the team scores. I've probably seen every minute of Eriksen at Inter. And he just doesn't get any time or space to take a shot. The same applies to Modric and Kroos at Real, both of whom are good at this.

It's just this phase of football we are going through.
    IO SONO INTERISTA

31. Thanks (1): rfU