View Poll Results: Rate the player

Voters
123. You may not vote on this poll
  • 10 - Will be one of the absolutely best players in the history of the game (think Meazza, Matheus)

5 4.07%
  • 9 - Will be one of the club legends, and become one of the best players in the world of their era

17 13.82%
  • 8 - A player of very good quality, who will add much to the team, one of the best nationalwise

73 59.35%
  • 7 - Good player, a valuble asset of a team, one of the 10-15 best on his position in the country

14 11.38%
  • 6 - Above average player, who will be usefull, but will never be a key player for a team

6 4.88%
  • 5 - Completely average player

1 0.81%
  • 4 - Below average, not a disaster, but would be better if we didn't sign him in the first place

1 0.81%
  • 3 - Anonymous player who will never be remembered through the fact nobody expected anything from him

0 0%
  • 2 - Close to a useless player, who will add nothing to the team besides filling the CL quota

0 0%
  • 1 - Crap, shit, useless player, worst buisness ever, Mancini, Quaresma and Gresko combined

6 4.88%
Page 54 of 64 FirstFirst ... 44451525354555657 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,080 of 1268

Thread: Nicoḷ Barella

Fav. Player
    Kolarov

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member Most Diverse Poster
    Barella actually complains and gesticulates a lot too. More in that exasperated Italian way, as opposed to the annoying, entitled Lukaku way, but either way he needs to cut it out if he's to lead the team.

Personality-wise I would probably pick Barella over Skriniar for the role. Barella seems a decent communicator whereas Skriniar seems quite shy in front of a microphone or camera. As for their leadership, let's judge their performances over the next year or so eh.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Thanks (1): rfU

Serbia

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Barella actually complains and gesticulates a lot too.
    Difference being, he actually has the right to do that. Imagine how frustrating it is to play with everyone else being below your level.

4. Thanks (5): eduzee, Gaindé, MVD, Pimpin, rfU

Fav. Player
    JZ4

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by forzainter257 View Post
    If I had to chose who to give the armband between the two I'd definitely consider Barella. Agree, he is impulsive but never have I seen him going beyond the limit. He receives yellow cards for his aggressive style, not for arguments.
    wasn't he close to a second yellow 2/3 games ago for arguing with ref? Nevertheless, you don't want an overly passionate or heated player, often at risk of yellows and game suspensions to be team captain. Its sets a bad precedence to others and youngsters especially nowadays when refs give out yellows for slightest insult. Look at the best captains to grace the game, from Bobby Moore, to Beckenbeaur, Baresi, Cannavaro, Puyol, calm demeanors but assertive. Alternatively you have the likes of Effenberg or Roy Keane who got booked and missed the 99 UCL final I know which I would prefer, given a choice. Not saying Barella would make a bad captain, but he wouldn't be my first choice. Could be he grows into the role over time under the right guidance and matures but with Conte and Vidal around it will be difficult.

Bastoni with all my sympathy for him doesn't look like a leader who can influence the team with his words.
    you're thinking pep talks and pre-game speeches, i've always felt actions speak louder than words, but words are important too. Not that I think Bastoni would be a better captain than Barella but at just 20 he has shown a great level of maturity and calmness, consistently one of our best players on the pitch, rarely making mistakes, ever-reliable, laser focused regardless of the craziness on or off the pitch, those are qualities of a great captain. The vocal part will come with time.
    "Last person I called "Darling" was pregnant 20 seconds later!" Lord Flashheart.

Fav. Player
    Lautaro

Kazakhstan

Quote Originally Posted by rfU View Post
    wasn't he close to a second yellow 2/3 games ago for arguing with ref? Nevertheless, you don't want an overly passionate or heated player, often at risk of yellows and game suspensions to be team captain. Its sets a bad precedence to others and youngsters especially nowadays when refs give out yellows for slightest insult. Look at the best captains to grace the game, from Bobby Moore, to Beckenbeaur, Baresi, Cannavaro, Puyol, calm demeanors but assertive. Alternatively you have the likes of Effenberg or Roy Keane who got booked and missed the 99 UCL final I know which I would prefer, given a choice. Not saying Barella would make a bad captain, but he wouldn't be my first choice. Could be he grows into the role over time under the right guidance and matures but with Conte and Vidal around it will be difficult.

you're thinking pep talks and pre-game speeches, i've always felt actions speak louder than words, but words are important too. Not that I think Bastoni would be a better captain than Barella but at just 20 he has shown a great level of maturity and calmness, consistently one of our best players on the pitch, rarely making mistakes, ever-reliable, laser focused regardless of the craziness on or off the pitch, those are qualities of a great captain. The vocal part will come with time.
    But then there's Sergio Ramos, he's so badass, always plays on the edge of receiving straight red, but often scores important goals. He is like a warlord.

A captain imo should possess a character, responsibility and of course playing abilities. Otherwise his teammates may act indifferent. I think Barella has all that and the older he gets the the more he will develop those attributes.

Not sure about Bastoni. He looks so harmless, unoffending should I say...

7. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Kolarov

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member Most Diverse Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by dax21 View Post
    Difference being, he actually has the right to do that. Imagine how frustrating it is to play with everyone else being below your level.
    A captain forfeits any "right" to be petulant like that. If some prick like Balotelli is acting up, certainly have a word with them. But don't jump in the air and throw your hands up dramatically when your striker misses a chance - even those dickless chances Lautaro has been missing recently.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

9. Thanks (2): Raul Duke, Wings

Fav. Player
    Barella Lukaku

Ireland

10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    This kid right here, this kid is the future of Italy/Inter. He is beyond sensational, bit more maturity from him and you've got the whole package.
    Defying The Odds, Living The Dream
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...oal490ai_1.jpg
    Well, that's nice.

Fav. Player
    Christian Vieri

Indonesia

His goal reminded me of Balo's against Germany
    #zhangisconte'sbitch

Fav. Player
    Milito

Australia

60 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by dax21 View Post
    The team is mentally fragile as it is and that nonsense sets off a chain reaction. We’ve all seen games where Brozovic and Lukaku burn more calories flailing their arms about than running, Lautaro turns into petulant turd and starts diving every chance he gets, Barella gets frustrated and earns an unforced yellow.

13. Thanks (2): delaurentis, Nothing

Fav. Player
    The Phenomenon

Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by brakbrak View Post
    His goal reminded me of Balo's against Germany
    or Milito's against Bayern.

15. Thanks (1): thatdude

Serbia

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    A captain forfeits any "right" to be petulant like that. If some prick like Balotelli is acting up, certainly have a word with them. But don't jump in the air and throw your hands up dramatically when your striker misses a chance - even those dickless chances Lautaro has been missing recently.
    I didn't mean that he should do what he is doing, but merely pointing out that he is justified compared to others like Lukaku who is triple-marked yet screams like a tantrum-throwing child for not receiving the ball to his feet.

Regarding the captaincy, I don't think Barella should be the captain. Some of you (not talking to you, but in general to FIF) seem to consider armband to be some sort of a prize for good performances and that's completely wrong.
    If anything, these players who have proved to be the rare few on the squad who can perform consistently should be freed from the burden of the armband, let them do their thing without all the added mental pressure of having to motivate everyone, deal with the refs and pay extra attention to the whole picture.

I still consider Skriniar to be the best captain candidate. He is a tough tackler but fair, doesn't play dirty, he has proven his loyalty (remember when he fired his agent after he tried to bullshit us), didn't make a scene when he was benched past season etc. And he is physically imposing which also carries weight on the pitch among opposition players.

Armband isn't a piece of candy to be given out to the best burger flipper of the month, it's not meant to be given to the best guy - it should be given to the right guy.

Fav. Player
    JZ4

10 years of FIF
    But then there's Sergio Ramos, he's so badass, always plays on the edge of receiving straight red, but often scores important goals. He is like a warlord.
    I think Ramos is a great player and leader but he's not a model captain. With his recklessness and poor discipline he's in no position to reprimand anyone. I think RM lucky in that they have several captains (Benzema, Modric, Marcelo, Casemiro, Carvajal) who can influence the game, are always hungry for success, hold others accountable and inspire team mates on and off the pitch. This is a situation i want at Inter and i think would suit Barella perfectly. A de-facto leader not burdened with the extra responsibility of having to be a role model, just play his aggressive and hard-tackling game.
    "Last person I called "Darling" was pregnant 20 seconds later!" Lord Flashheart.

18. Thanks (1): Il Drago

Greece

10 years of FIF Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Being the captain is not only related to 90 minutes of a game, it's a daily, non-football related issue. Of course it is important during games, but that's not the catalytical decision.

Barella is not captain material now, not because of his aggressive playing style or whatever, but because he's not mature enough. He's a jokester and a fun character. Making him captain would mask all that and I don't think he'd like to pretend he's serious most of the time. In a couple of years, probably he'll be good for the role.
    <<Gli scudetti è giusto vincerli sul campo>> Antonio Conte on Calciopoli

#ConteOut

20. Thanks (5): CafeCordoba, eduzee, koba, rfU, thatdude

Fav. Player
    Roberto Baggio

Indonesia

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    Being the captain is not only related to 90 minutes of a game, it's a daily, non-football related issue. Of course it is important during games, but that's not the catalytical decision.

Barella is not captain material now, not because of his aggressive playing style or whatever, but because he's not mature enough. He's a jokester and a fun character. Making him captain would mask all that and I don't think he'd like to pretend he's serious most of the time. In a couple of years, probably he'll be good for the role.
    I agree with you.. Bastoni's characteristic more suitable to become our next captain.

Vietnam

I think you guys are obsessed with making any young players who have shown passion captain. It was Kovacic then Icardi (well...) and then Skriniar and now the discussion is between Bastoni and Barella. Buf if you guys have worked in a team for some times, you would have noticed that leadership is a not that straight forward. Some guys who appear strong and confident from the outside can be an absolute pain in the ass to work with, while some who aren't too technically competent just know how to work with people and unite the team.

It's really no point to speculate who's captain material and who's not, if a guy has that leadership trait in him, he will emerge naturally in the dressing room. And that guy will probably not the one you expect.

23. Thanks (2): eduzee, thatdude

Fav. Player
    Kolarov

South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post

Barella is automatically disqualified on account that his wife is 7 years older than him. Icardi v. Inter, 410 U.S.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fav. Player
    Darmian

Italy

94 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by qb4ever_2k View Post
    I think you guys are obsessed with making any young players who have shown passion captain. It was Kovacic then Icardi (well...) and then Skriniar and now the discussion is between Bastoni and Barella. Buf if you guys have worked in a team for some times, you would have noticed that leadership is a not that straight forward. Some guys who appear strong and confident from the outside can be an absolute pain in the ass to work with, while some who aren't too technically competent just know how to work with people and unite the team.

It's really no point to speculate who's captain material and who's not, if a guy has that leadership trait in him, he will emerge naturally in the dressing room. And that guy will probably not the one you expect.
    It's also worth noting that Brozovic usually gets the armband when Handanovic can't play.

26. Thanks (3): MVD, Raul Duke, Universe

Fav. Player
    Kolarov

South Korea

Skriniar wore it last season vs Udinese. No Handanovic (obviously), no Brozovic either. Barella started but he was new at the time.

I suspect (informally) the hierarchy is something like:
    Handanovic
    Brozovic
    Skriniar / D'Ambrosio / Ranocchia
    Barella

Anyway, Conte's post match words:

"Usually he tends to waste energy on unnecessary runs and loses too many balls... I can say with confidence this was his best game since I became manager of the team"

(It's not like he played before you became manager of the team mate)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

28. Thanks (2): Raul Duke, rfU

Fav. Player
    Barella

Spain

10 years of FIF
    I think we mean more like 2025-2026 or so. Not next years.

30. Thanks (2): eduzee, rfU

Fav. Player
    1+8, Ronaldo

Chile

Love him, but every single game:

GSOLE5VZNJAVJINJQFBMGASQGY.jpg

32. Thanks (2): MVD, thatdude

Federated States of Micronesia

10 years of FIF
    He should sit out against Benevento. He's giving too much and we should be careful wtih him.
    Massimo Moratti: "It's better to be multi-ethnic than buying matches."

34. Thanks (2): CafeCordoba, dax21