Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League 2019/2020

Fav. Player
    Sensi

Slovak Republic

Quote Originally Posted by .h. View Post
    the group of death isnt really a group of death for barca!

Pot 2 means we'd be in the best 16 (in principle) teams in the CL for that year, so odds on would have us likely to end up in the top 2 of a group. If we are pot 3, then in principle, we're expecting to be 3rd in the group.

Need to keep going up.

Thats why winning the CL is a multi-year plan, we need to climb up the pots and enhance our CL ranking, bring in more revenue (money is also paid out to recent track record, as well), and keep building our teams
    There is no group of death for Barca. But generally it is group of death for us and Dortmund, because we could end in group with Zenit and dortmund could had easier oponent as well.

And yes, we should just win scudetto this year and next year we are in pot 1

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Switzerland

Knowing Inter, I can see us getting points vs Barca and Dortmund and dropping 6 vs Prague

It's really tough to judge now how we'll do in Europe this season since we hardly know how Conte's Inter play.
    It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world.

Fav. Player
    ALL OF THEM

Great Britain

What a hard group that is. Well most people will predict us finishing 3rd.Lets prove them all wrong. The home games will be crucial. We do not need to fear ANYBODY in them.

Fav. Player
    Maicon

Spain

10 years of FIF
    I don't see how Dortmund are better than Inter.
    Hopefully Conte explains the group our main goal is the 1# place, not the 2#.

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Just like Spurs always manage to edge us, Borussia will be our doom this season IF main players like Reus, Sancho and Paco won't be missing.

Very good team
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by wera View Post
    Just like Spurs always manage to edge us, Borussia will be our doom this season IF main players like Reus, Sancho and Paco won't be missing.

Very good team
    No mention of Thorgan? Everything ok?
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda

Conte uomo di merda

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Personally felt like Spurs were better last year than Dortmund currently are this year, honestly.

Either way, with every bit of due respect towards Dortmund - really - we can't be letting ourselves think of Dortmund in terms of how we think about Barcelona. If we're elevating Dortmund to that platform already, then we've already lost. We have to be able to feel like we can take these guys on. If Dortmund '19-'20 = Spurs '18-'19, then the difference, in theory, will come down to how much we've either improved, or regressed, compared to last year. If we're better this year, which of course does remain to be seen, then I'll take our chances.

8. Thanks (1): Dylan

Fav. Player
    Pirlo, Figo

United States

Whats with all this talk of the "group of death". We should view this as the "group of opportunity". As the great poet said " The harder matched, the greater victory.".

10. Thanks (2): Pajo, thatdude

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    So apart from our group, all others are shit. I don't see any group which is remotely exciting, or where there is any contention of which two teams will qualify. Am I missing something?
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    Che squadraccia

South Korea

89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member
    Quote Originally Posted by YoramG View Post
    This might be a stupid question, but how does pot placement dictate the likelihood of being drawn into an easier group? Barca were pot 1 and Dortmund in pot 2, and they still got put into the 'group of death'.
    Others have answered the question but I wanted to add:

We kinda ruin ourselves by not competing in the CL for so long and being in the lower pots. And our own 'strength' or at least the stature of our own club also contributes heavily to making a group of death. I mean, if you define a 'group of death' as a group with the most strong teams, then by very definition, we have to be considered strong. Otherwise, it'd just be Barca and Dortmund plus 2 shitters. Basically we're too big a club to keep shitting around in the lower pots.

It was even more so last season when we were in pot 4 if I remember correctly. I mean, if you're a pot 3 team like Bayer Leverkusen, it's already looking bleak for you. You're looking at that pot 4 team to take points from, so naturally you'd prefer that team was Young Boys, not Inter.

Transfermarkt posted that our group has the highest combined squad value of all the groups at €2.43B ffs.

Until we improve to pot 2, we will always be in a group of death, made partly by our own strength.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fav. Player
    Matrix, Pupi, C

Japan

just checked Dortmund record last year. It seems that on a good day they can explode everything. They beat Monaco and ATM 3,4-0, but then score none (lost to ATM, Tottenham...). Seem like a very inconsistent opponent in a scary way.

Bulgaria

Forum Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne Marie View Post
    just checked Dortmund record last year. It seems that on a good day they can explode everything. They beat Monaco and ATM 3,4-0, but then score none (lost to ATM, Tottenham...). Seem like a very inconsistent opponent in a scary way.
    Pazza Dortmund vs. No more Pazza Inter

15. Thanks (1): n4l

Colombia

Yea, on their titile showdown they were blown out by Bayern but they just beat them for the German cup whatever is called.

Last year our group was harder but it was even..... Spalletti “tactics” just fucked us.
    I just hope our midfield can hang.

Fav. Player
    The Phenomenon

Indonesia

Why do we are afraid of BVB? Fuck them, and fuck Barca too, lets kick one of them to Europe League.

I'm trying to grow my balls here guys

Fav. Player
    Maicon

Spain

10 years of FIF
    Dortmund < Tottenham
    Praga < PSV

we really have no excuse.

Vietnam

Quote Originally Posted by Alex de Large View Post
    Dortmund < Tottenham
    Praga < PSV

we really have no excuse.
    And Barca >> Barca, sadly. They have bought Griezmann, Frenkie DJ and Neymar...crazy. I dont see us getting any points vs them (last year at least we had 1)

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by PHM1605 View Post
    And Barca >> Barca, sadly. They have bought Griezmann, Frenkie DJ and Neymar...crazy. I dont see us getting any points vs them (last year at least we had 1)
    That should also exclude Dortmund grabbing any points.
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda

Conte uomo di merda

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

IMO Dortmund has a better team than us. But we have a better coach. Those two games will be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    No mention of Thorgan? Everything ok?
    Haha

Nah, just why mention a player that doesn't get injured as often as those 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

Switzerland

Again?
    Attached Images Attached Images

23. Thanks (1): Dylan

Fav. Player
    Lukaku@Sensi

Poland

At least we've better defence than Dortmund and should be harder to play against, might snatch a draw with Farca on our turf while Borussia play more open attacking game, it will be extremely difficult for them to get anything from Barca games