Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do you do for a living?

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
    Write pathtracer and solve light transport equations to make pretty pictures.
    Working on a rendering engine?
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. Itís never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. Itís a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    ó Massimo Moratti

2. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobblz View Post
    Working on a rendering engine?
    indeed
    Dr. Marotta

4. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

Ah, I think I remember you bringing that up some time ago and I asked whether you were working at OTOY to try to milk out a key for Octane

Now, people that code render engines and chips on low level, for example, are programmers that I truly respect. That's none of that script kiddy stuff most of my coding friends are making big bucks for - stack overflow and ripping half of github to do their jobs. Raytracing is a serious fucking challenge.
    Inter is an artistic venture, almost poetic. It is capable of provoking immense, unreachable joy and bitter disappointment. Itís never done by half-measures.
    For me, Inter is the opening to new worlds and courage. Itís a strong passion, a marvellous illness. You can put up with the weaknesses and admire the courage, the same way you would with a son.
    ó Massimo Moratti

6. Thanks (2): GenDire, MVD

Fav. Player
    MILAN SKRINIAR

Netherlands

Customer Care Coordinator at a International company, we sell GPS systems and lasers for building bridges,stadiums,roads etc. They are also used for Archaeological purposes (which I can use for my hobby's).

Thank god I don't have to talk to customers a lot, I'm more in the direction of supply chain management, stock management and logistics. Every day is different thats why I like it, if I had to answer the phone every day and talk to our customers I would quit after 1 day.

8. Thanks (2): MVD, Wobblz

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Ah, I think I remember you bringing that up some time ago and I asked whether you were working at OTOY to try to milk out a key for Octane

Now, people that code render engines and chips on low level, for example, are programmers that I truly respect. That's none of that script kiddy stuff most of my coding friends are making big bucks for - stack overflow and ripping half of github to do their jobs. Raytracing is a serious fucking challenge.
    I had no idea you asked me anything with regards to this, but...Octane is free for Blender since last year and Unity since 2 years ago....just so you know

To be fair to your friends, I think every coder has his role to play, copying stack overflow or not. I am actually a pretty useless programmer outside of graphics and ray tracing, so I'd probably be jobless and starve to death if for some reason the film/entertainment industry is collapsed overnight.

But yeah, it's a seriously exciting time for us in this industry, the constant breakthrough we are getting every year with ray tracing since RTX has been breath taking, I really look forward to the next decade or so with what ray tracing will bring to other platforms outside of films, tv shows and commercials.
    Last edited by Wallace; 20 Jan 20 at 07:27.
    Dr. Marotta

10. Thanks (3): GenDire, MVD, Wobblz

Kazakhstan

Best Forum Newcomer
    Mining engineer, petroleum engineer, two degrees, participated in a few greenfield projects in Central Asia, now working as a petroleum engineer in the national oil and gas company. Considering leaving my workplace this year,hopefully will be co-owning business with my brother and his partners, so I plan to concentrate on it.
    ďIs shitting on any moment of decency part of your job description?Ē

At Inter. With Inter.
    To Europa League.

12. Thanks (2): MVD, Wobblz

Fav. Player
    Baggio

Bulgaria

I had no idea you asked me anything with regards to this, but...Octane is free for Blender since last year and Unity since 2 years ago....just so you know
    I don't remember, even if I did ask you it would've been more of a joke.

Didn't know Octane is free for Blender. Hm. That's fantasitc. I might ditch c4d for Blender as things stand, lots of exciting developments over there, although I'm not enthusiastic to change up a software I just recently got to feel somewhat comfortable with. Lots of investment and leaps in quality the last couple of versions though, it's becoming a very appealing option to invest time into, even for professionals.

To be fair to your friends, I think every coder has his role to play, copying stack overflow or not. I am actually a pretty useless programmer outside of graphics and ray tracing, so I'd probably be jobless and starve to death if for some reason the film/entertainment industry is collapsed overnight.
    Sure, I'm half joking, but still. One is for certain - I always found it hilarious that they waste like 4-5 years learning maths and using absolutely none of it later on in their work.

But yeah, it's a seriously exciting time for us in this industry, the constant breakthrough we are getting every year with ray tracing since RTX has been breath taking, I really look forward to the next decade or so with what ray tracing will bring to other platforms outside of films, tv shows and commercials.
    Yeah real-time rendering is going to be huge. Although I feel like AR/VR is super gimmicky and won't ever live up to all the hype much like 3D movies/TVs...
    ó Massimo Moratti

14. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Youth team

Canada

Supervisor with the Government and soon to be business owner.
    FORZA INTER TILL I DIE! Mi chiamo Salvatore.

16. Thanks (2): MVD, Wobblz

Fav. Player
    Plusvalenza+

Albania

Full time lawyer. Part time indie game developer working on my first title.
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts,
    Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
    To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

18. Thanks (3): MVD, phonk, Wobblz

Fav. Player

Europe

Lmao how is everybody already a lawyer?
    By the time I'll be finished just with my law degree, a large chunk of FIFers is either in their pension or 6ft under
    I did it all for the nookie

20. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by phonk View Post
    Lmao how is everybody already a lawyer?
    By the time I'll be finished just with my law degree, a large chunk of FIFers is either in their pension or 6ft under
    Who says we re not already in our pensions? There s some old fucks on here!!!
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

#Fuck Conte

22. Thanks (2): MVD, phonk

Fav. Player
    Christian Vieri

Indonesia

Control engineer working for a safety and autonomous driving manufacturer in Canada. Do we have any other control engineers here?

24. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    22IcardiBroHand
    Old name
    DomesticatedPimp

Albania

Quote Originally Posted by brakbrak View Post
    Control engineer working for a safety and autonomous driving manufacturer in Canada. Do we have any other control engineers here?
    no, but you could tell us more about autonomous driving and what fraud elon musk is :p
    Quote Originally Posted by bandiera View Post
    referees 'without question' favour juve? i think youre overstating the effect of buying out the refs.
    On Brozovic:
    Quote Originally Posted by nurko View Post
    He's like bitcoin in January, sell him on a high while you can.

26. Thanks (2): Adriano@10, MVD

Fav. Player
    Schelotto

Brazil

It's all different levels of abstractions. There's no one that is more "respectable" than the another. You can have intimate knowledge of hardware and low level functionality, but that doesn't mean you can architect an application at a higher level.

At the higher end (6 figure salaries, although it depends where you live I guess), the only people that survive multiple jobs in coding are extremely smart/clever, because with new SDKs/frameworks every 6 months, only someone with a fundamental of all abstraction layers can pick up stuff fast without being burned out. Those friends of yours are going to burn out in a few years max, if they don't understand what's going on under the hood and are unable to pick up new technical concepts quickly.
    Team #Dare2Mazzari #Messi4Inter #Messi4AsadoClan

28. Thanks (1): MVD