Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: WC: Where will the European challenge come from?

Fav. Player
    Santigol

WC: Where will the European challenge come from?

Lets face it, European football has struggled in the past few years.
    There is Greece winning the European Championships, and struggling to make it to the WC. The so called powerhouses in Italy and France have struggled in their group, with the latter not sure of making it there. Germany's dismal effor at Euro, Holland who made it to the Semi's, still didn't look comfortable and Spain once again farking up in both counts.
    So where will it come from?

France:
    Lack creativity in midfield with the departure of Zidane, Dhorasoo is the key of their midfield, yeah, I know. Struggling to score even against the more average nations, even with the likes of Henry, Cisse and Trezeguet. The defence is rebuilding with the departures of Desailly, Thuram and Lizarazu.
    I doubt they'll mount a serious challenge.

Italy:
    A consistent Xi is the problem, they don't have one, and when they do, it may be too late. Defence on paper is good, but always manages to conceed. Midfield lacks creativity. Attack is the asset (for once), but it may be their problem, who out of Toni, Gilardino, Vieri, Del Piero, Cassano, Totti, Fiore, Miccoli and Lucarelli will want to sit on the bench?
    If they get a team toghether with a balance, they'll be there.

Germany:
    Home ground advantage is their key, they'll be spurred on by their fans, but will it be enough?
    Young and inexperienced coach, young defence, young attack, too young? Defence is good on paper, but is having big problems with injuries to Rau, Lahm, Metzelder, Worns and co have all been injured or are currently injured.
    Attack and defence is too big of a problem to overhandle, IMO.

Portugal:
    Two problems, keeper and strike force. Ricardo is a laughing stock, Baia would've perhaps won them Euro if he was there. Strikeforce is another liability, unless they get Almeida or Postiga to improve tremendously, this will be a problem, Pauleta is too old to change or improve. Midfield is one of the most powerful in the world, and more young improving midfielders coming like M.Fernandes and Quaresma.
    They'll be there.

England:
    Best squad, best players England has had since 66, but the coach is the worst. One wonders why on earth he won't play 3 at the back with Rio, Campbell and Terry with SWP and Cole as wingbacks to accomadate Beckham, Gerrard and Lampard as the three central midfielders.
    Thats the problem, he won't have the guts to play 3 at the back.
    They'll be there.

Holland:
    Haven't seen much of them, but they are doing well with a young team, but will their problem be their youth. Can those players improve or will they turn out like the likes of Sniejder, van der vaart and van der Meyde.
    Don't think so.

I think, from Europe, only England and Portugal can challenge with massive impact.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    lol honestly SWP as a wing-back? lol thats very laughable.

And even if a good wing back was in place for the future (G.Johnson) then it still wouldnt work.

Lampard-Beckham-Gerrard.

lol i think Wayne Rooney would do more defending then a midfield trio like that, its almost suicide.

Fav. Player
    Santigol

Errm, with a back three like Rio, Terry and Campbell you can afford SWP as a wing back. Same goes for the central midfield trio.

.................Terry.........Rio...........Campb ell.................
    SWP............................................... ...................Cole
    ............Becks...........Lampard........Gerrard ...............
    ....................Rooney........................ ......................
    ............................................Owen.. .......................

Syria

10 years of FIF
    i dont know i think itsa bit risky.

In the end depends on the coach, whatever he prefers his team to play with.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

The challenges, in my opinion, will surely come from...

England
    They have been going well for a long time and have a very strong squad. Though as usual, I'll be supporting any team they play against (even if it's France or the 5th place South American country which will prevent Australia from making it). Very strong line up. Only one position is weak, which is right-back. The rest are all good.

Italy
    We have the talent to beat anyone, but we just have a stupid mentality and we don't have a permanent line-up. Lippi f-cks around too much. We could easily do well with a strong regular line up.

Czech Republic
    They should have won euro2004 but were unlucky against Greece. They're ranked 2 in the world and have a very strong team. They will do well.

Holland
    Very talented team who are overdue to win a world cup. They have some great players and are playing well these days under van Basten.

Ukraine
    Shevchenko and co.

Portugal
    With one of the best squads in the world and last world cup's winning coach - look out for them to do well.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    England i hope

then I think Italy, Holland, maybe Portugal..

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Greece

83 10 years of FIF
    Italy
    INTER PER SEMPRE!

RUBE MERDA

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    France got really old, really quick. Even if they make the WC, they won't go far. Not enough talent in the midfield.

Italy have the talent but coaching always seems a problem. Lippi is an idiot and I was disappointed to learn that he was named the new coach after the Euro 04 debacle. Totti also needs to show up or the Azzurri will go nowhere.

England probably have the most talented Euro squad, but again coaching is a problem. Not a great deal of talented (or physically big) strikers either. The rest of the squad is very good.

Germany will give their usual strong performance, no matter how young they are. Will have the home support too.

The rest (Spain, Portugal, Czech Rep., Holland) are all looking good too, especially the latter two. My money to make it into the later rounds is England even with Erikkson at the helm.

Fav. Player
    Oba

Id like to think that England will do well in Germany, it would be amazing to see them in the final. The squad is good enough; it just depends on how Eriksson uses them. I also think Portugal should do well and the Czech republic.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

I'll have to say England, they have the best team. And your point about having SWP as a RWB isn't bad either, but he should play so at times this season to get used to it, but I think he can make it.

England has been complaining of their lack of a wide LM for a while now. Solution? Abandon 4-4-2 for once and play more imaginative. I think the trio of Lampard -- Greedy -- Beckham will be good. All guys are world class and can defend well.

As for Italy, the situation is so frustrating. Again, they will go for the safety first and catuious appraoch, and their campaign will end in disaster.

France? Pas de Chance! Spain? leaves in Pain.

Germany has the best chance. They histroically do well in a competition when they are doing bad before it, the home advantage and the great players may take them to the finals, where they will find hard to beat the unbeatables.

Fav. Player
    Il Principe Mil

ITALIA!!!! I really think this is one of our best squads in a while. We have great young players like gilardino,chiellini,esposito,pirlo,barone, and others. Also our midfield will be the best its been in a long time with players like Pirlo(who will actually start this time) esposito, barone, camoranesi and a few others. Our strike force is very strong and it will be difficult for Lippi to choose who to field. As always are defense is one of the best in the world if not the absolute best. Also Italy makes the finals of the world cup every 12 years. 1970,1982,1994,2006

Fav. Player
    Pirlo

United States

Germany.
    Klinsmann really brought the sparks back to a German side that lost that attacking minded football. Even though the team is very young, I have faith that they will pull something magically. Their defence needs improvement, but Mertsacker and Huth are very very young, and for what they did so far I must say that they are the future of the German defence. I really hope Lahm will be fit to take that LB spot, otherwise I can see Germany play with 3 center backs. Friedrich impressed me at the Confed cup. His runs though the right flank showed that Germany has fast backs, and wingers.
    By the time the World Cup arrives I believe Klinsmann will definately change his side around abit, but the fact remains that Germany plays differently as they did a year and half ago. The German side will pose a serious challenge to the WC, and IMO is the contender to take it.
    Ich bin muede.

Fav. Player
    JZ

Holland they r long overdue for a world cup and they will be leading d European charge in germany

but my pick is Argentina ... they deserve more than they have achieved for d squad they have had in recent years

Argentina vs. Holland final
    Last edited by 1919; 24 Dec 05 at 17:35.

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    realy hope it s italy but at the moment they are not good enough
    but they have the potential to reach the final
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

Fav. Player
    JZ

Quote Originally Posted by Adriano@10
    realy hope it s italy but at the moment they are not good enough
    but they have the potential to reach the final
    they really dont have any good attacking midfielders and will never play with a trident attack with Cassano as d playmaker

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    m hh they may use totti as attacking mid
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    So Zidane and Thuram will be back for France?
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    yes if the coach names them
    Javier Zanetti

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    I think that's quite disrespectful towards the players who played in the WC Qualifiers.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Syria

10 years of FIF
    that was zidane's plan.

skip all the troublesome qualifying matches, dont get injured, rest. and then come back and just pplay for the world cup.