Fav. Player

Belgium

Racial bias in football

Study regarding racial bias in football

https://runrepeat.com/racial-bias-study-soccer

When commentators talk about intelligence:
    62.60% of praise was aimed at players with lighter skin tone
    63.33% of criticism was aimed at players with darker skin tone
    When commentators are talking about power they are 6.59 times more likely to be talking about a player with darker skin tone
    When commentators are talking about speed they are 3.38 times more likely to be talking about a player with darker skin tone
    When commentators talk about work ethic, 60.40% of praise is aimed at players with lighter skin tone

2. Thanks (3): Il Drago, MVD, thatdude

Netherlands

I read a book called Soccernomics which talked about how English scouts were more likely to praise players with blonde hair because they "stuck out" more when being scouted, compared to dark hair players on the pitch. Not really race related, just a funny anecdote.

Regarding the study, I'm not surprised. It's like when you watch the NBA and every white player is praised for their "high basketball IQ.

For football specific, Balotelli received such a ridiculous amount of blame for those mid-2010 Azzurri teams. Not because he deserved the blame, but because he doesn't look like what an Italian is "supposed" to look like. We just need to be better than that as people.

This forum does a really good job with this, all things considered.

Fav. Player
    Adriano

Canada

not surprising at all

United States

Quote Originally Posted by ADRossi View Post
    I read a book called Soccernomics which talked about how English scouts were more likely to praise players with blonde hair because they "stuck out" more when being scouted, compared to dark hair players on the pitch. Not really race related, just a funny anecdote.
    The only logical excuse for why David Luiz has had a long career at the top level

6. Thanks (2): MVD, n4l

Fav. Player
    Mancini

Trinidad & Tobago

45 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by thatdude View Post
    The only logical excuse for why David Luiz has had a long career at the top level
    And why Guendouzi even gets any playing time
    Quote Originally Posted by Jnr View Post
    I swear to god Inters squad goes from Nikolai Tesla and Einstein ( Skrino&DeVrij) to Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey the more you go up higher.

Fav. Player
    LM10
    Old name
    hansolo

Chile

Kdog

Fav. Player
    Skriniar

United States

Quote Originally Posted by ADRossi View Post

Regarding the study, I'm not surprised. It's like when you watch the NBA and every white player is praised for their "high basketball IQ.

For football specific, Balotelli received such a ridiculous amount of blame for those mid-2010 Azzurri teams. Not because he deserved the blame, but because he doesn't look like what an Italian is "supposed" to look like. We just need to be better than that as people.

This forum does a really good job with this, all things considered.
    No surprise, but what you talk about with football scouting is no different in any other sport, either. All the sports in North America are notorious for white players being the "gritty, lunch pail types" while the black players are far more likely to be called "toolsy" and "athletic". It's actually pretty funny how much of an open secret this sort of stuff has become over the years.

Greece

10 years of FIF Best Football Poster Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Hasn't it been proven that black people have greater bone density than other races? I think even black females are on par with white males until their mid 40s or something like that. Google osteoporosis and race for more on that.

Obviously I'm not sure if race is the reason for this, but it's been quite consistent in reserach findings so maybe it's more of an observation of how certain players play rather than being prejudiced against them.

As for bias in general, of course if you're talking about commentators of predominantly non-black populations they'll be singling out blacks in a different way, just like you'd see this occuring in the inverse scenario. Isn't that kind of obvious?

I'm pretty sure the same can be said about specific nationalities. A German or Norwegian player will be commented on strength and physique, an Englishman on stamina, an Italian on finesse or tactical discipline while a Spanish or Portuguese player will be commented on technique, a Brazilian on crazy dribbles and an Argentinean on creativity or dribbling skills. Whether they have it or lack it, that will be the main point of discussion until it becomes boring and even the dullest thing never becomes boring for these guys when they run out of things to say.
    Noi non siamo gobbi di merda

Conte uomo di merda

Vote in the OT draft you c*nts Here and here you lazy bastards