Thread: RIP Diego Armando Maradona

Greece

10 years of FIF Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster

RIP Diego Armando Maradona

The legend deserves his own thread.

A person of incomprehensible, immeasurable influence on the world of football, and not only sports.

Some videos of his godly skills:

Unfortunately, living life at high speed means it ends sooner:

Live feed of the tribute people are paying to Diego in Buenos Aires.

Nice words by Gary Lineker.
    <<Gli scudetti è giusto vincerli sul campo>> Antonio Conte on Calciopoli

#ConteOut

Fav. Player

Belgium

With the death of Maradona, alot has been said about who is the GOAT.

In my opinion it is hard to compare players from different generations, but there is one thing we can't deny, and that is the symbolic influence Maradona had.
    The Argentines experienced a military junta, humiliation of the Falkland war and then he lifted his nation up by becoming world champions and beating England in heroic fashion with those 2 historic goals.
    Then there is Napoli, a team who became 2-time Serie A champions against the wealthy teams from the North.

Messi will have the statistics on his side, but Maradona is in my opinion for symbolic reasons the greatest of all time.

3. Thanks (7): Besnik, Il Drago, J.., K.I., M.Adnan, n4l, NimAraya

Fav. Player
    4 & 10

Bosnia Herzegovina

35 10 years of FIF
    Messi can win World Cup and break every possible record and Maradona will still be out of his reach because he was much more from Footbal player.

Maradona, Ali, Senna ...

RIP
    ... “Every time I see Walter Mazzarri’s Press conferences I have this doubt: Is he really such an idiot or does he just think we all are?”

Parma team manager Sandro Melli

Federated States of Micronesia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by delaurentis View Post
    With the death of Maradona, alot has been said about who is the GOAT.

In my opinion it is hard to compare players from different generations, but there is one thing we can't deny, and that is the symbolic influence Maradona had.
    The Argentines experienced a military junta, humiliation of the Falkland war and then he lifted his nation up by becoming world champions and beating England in heroic fashion with those 2 historic goals.
    Then there is Napoli, a team who became 2-time Serie A champions against the wealthy teams from the North.

Messi will have the statistics on his side, but Maradona is in my opinion for symbolic reasons the greatest of all time.
    I agree. Maradona's expressive character is what distinguish him from Messi, who is more reserved and introvert. Maradona transferred joy and passion to the fans through his skills, body language and extrovert character, while Messi only does it through his footballing skills.

Even if Messi won titles with Argentina I think that factor alone would make Maradona more desirable to many fans than Messi. I'm not going to compare 'em as football players though, because they played in different eras and both are quite magnificent players skill wise.

As an Argentina's fan for 30 years I'm quite disappointed Messi failed to win anything with Argentina, but I don't blame it all on Messi or give all the credit to Maradona for winning the WC with Argentina. Despite all the things people say about a player (or a coach) winning and losing matches all by himself, that's just a myth. Football is a team match, and we should judge the matches by all the factors involved in it, not just one guy getting all the credit or all the blame for his team's results.
    Massimo Moratti: "It's better to be multi-ethnic than buying matches."

6. Thanks (2): K.I., thatdude

Greece

Picture of the year in Argentina for sure:

#ConteOut

8. Thanks (3): K.I., MVD, n4l

Greece

This is one of the most powerful images I've seen. Even with 2020 being a crazy year, it's a definite candidate for picture of the year:

Syria, by artist Aziz al-Asmar.

#ConteOut

Greece

#ConteOut

11. Thanks (1): MVD

Fav. Player
    Bea Arthur

South Korea

Basically, he was for my father what Ronaldinho was for me. Full of magic and his time is basically mentioned as an era. Or not just an era, but a point where things changed.

Shame about all the drugs, drama and bullshit that happened at the start of the 90s. And yet, he was voted football player of the century with half of the votes for him and only 18% for Pele.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    If Icardi is ever sold for 110m euros i'll stop watching football and promote Pimp to moderator.

13. Thanks (1): Hasan