Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111819202122 LastLast
Results 401 to 420 of 426

Thread: Inter - Genoa (28 Feb 21)

  1. #401
    varmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Dec 14
    Posts
    3,898
    Thanked
    4,336 times

    Bulgaria

    Forum Supporter
    Facts are that there were some games where Eriksen was running like headless chicken with no idea what to do.
    Let's not put all the blame on Conte. There are two sides in every story.


  2. #402
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Feb 09
    Posts
    11,626
    Thanked
    26,089 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    10 years of FIF Most Optimistic Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    I would ask another question though, which, to me, seems the accurate question to ask: do those of you arguing this, honestly believe that Conte gave Eriksen a legitimately fair shot to begin with, and that we as a club, did as much as possible (or reasonable) to ensure the success of this sizeable investment?

    For me the answer is a resounding no.
    Its a good question, Uni. But I don't think the answer is that simple. So let me provide the countering argument. IMO this is Conte's 3rd attempt at giving Eriksen a fair shot:

    1. When Eriksen joined us, Conte tried him out as a mezzala with a little more freedom. It didn't work, coz Eriksen lacked the discipline specially defensively.

    2. Post lockdown, Conte changed the entire formation of the team to 3-4-1-2 like you mentioned. I can argue that this change was largely done to integrate someone like Eriksen, to utilise him in a role that suited his talents more. If we didn't have Eriksen, I doubt Conte would have changed the formation to that. Like you said, that didn't work at all. And Eriksen found himself on the fringes of the squad.

    3. We can say this retrospectively, once Conte realised he has to live with Eriksen this season, he worked with the player to transform him to his new (current) role in a 3-5-2. You can again see that this role is tailor-made to suit Eriksen, he doesn't play similar to Barella-type mezzala on either side of Brozo. Eriksen is allowed to stay deeper and help Brozo distribute the ball and utilise his strengths in play making. All that training work is also evident in the shifts Eriksen is putting him, specially his off-the-ball movement. Finally this has worked.

    So I think its unfair to say that the coach hasn't given Eriksen a fair shot. In a top team fighting for serious objectives, a fair shot is dependent on the performances of the player too. We also have to take into account that Conte & Eriksen hasn't yet had a summer break to work on integration, so its understandable why it took longer to successfully integrate.

    I am just glad it has finally happened. And while the majority of the credit should rightly go to the player and his hard work + professionalism, the coach also gets some credit for this.

    Ditto re Perisic. His performances we also poor at the start of the season as he couldn't adapt to the LWB. He was even tried as support striker. But again, clearly Conte has been working with him at training, and now Perisic interprets his LWB role a lot better, both defensively and in attack. Again, the large part of that credit goes to the player, but the coach gets some credit here too.


  3. #403
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    24,288
    Thanked
    22,212 times

    Italy

    10 years of FIF Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post

    1. When Eriksen joined us, Conte tried him out as a mezzala with a little more freedom. It didn't work, coz Eriksen lacked the discipline specially defensively.
    He did??

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post




    2. Post lockdown, Conte changed the entire formation of the team to 3-4-1-2 like you mentioned. I can argue that this change was largely done to integrate someone like Eriksen, to utilise him in a role that suited his talents more. If we didn't have Eriksen, I doubt Conte would have changed the formation to that. Like you said, that didn't work at all. And Eriksen found himself on the fringes of the squad.
    The 3-4-1-2 change occurred before Eriksen played a minute for the club. And he shifted the formation in the lock down because we had a run of bad results prior to it. It had nothing to do with Eriksen. And everyone saw that it was bad fit from the Fiorentina game that Conte initially experimented with it and Eriksen was barely an Inter player by then. Sanchez was used there, a failed experiment Conte had tried a few times before actually, with him as trequartista.

    The 3-4-1-2 change also happened because the trident that Conte preferred, Barella-Brozovic-Gagliardini, was not always available. And he tried both Barella and Brozovic at the '1' spot. As well as started Valero several times over Eriksen.
    <<Gli scudetti è giusto vincerli sul campo>> Antonio Conte on Calciopoli

    Peppino Prisco facci un gol

  4. Thanks (4): Fitzy, NimAraya, Sqnalkel, Universe

  5. #404
    Il Drago's Avatar
    Join Date
    21 Dec 15
    Posts
    11,130
    Thanked
    28,743 times
    Fav. Player
    Wesley Sneijder

    Greece

    Best Football Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    1. When Eriksen joined us, Conte tried him out as a mezzala with a little more freedom. It didn't work, coz Eriksen lacked the discipline specially defensively.
    This has been mentioned before so many times but let's try again. Before this January Eriksen was used as a mezzala only twice. His debut at Udine and the away game against Cagliari this season. That's it.


  6. #405

    Join Date
    03 Feb 14
    Posts
    5,028
    Thanked
    4,279 times
    Fav. Player
    Barella

    Macedonia

    To be fair to Eriksen 3 4 1 2 was a dreadful formation, where not only did he look bad, but also every player who played there was bad. More importantly, the whole team played bad.

  7. Thanks (3): Fitzy, Il Drago, Universe

  8. #406
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Feb 09
    Posts
    11,626
    Thanked
    26,089 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    10 years of FIF Most Optimistic Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    The 3-4-1-2 change occurred before Eriksen played a minute for the club.
    I am pretty certain largely playing 3-5-2 before lockdown. Just check some of our final games before the lockdown if you have any doubts. I will do the same.

    EDIT: Here are some posts from the Eriksen thread pre-lockdown which confirm my argument and show that your statement above is incorrect:

    03 Feb 2020:
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeCordoba View Post
    We still played the same formation and system where the mezzalas drift to their flanks. When we have the possession in their half then they move to more central position obviously when the RCB/LCBs move forward and RWB/LWBs provide the width.
    09 Feb:
    Quote Originally Posted by surripere View Post
    Is he exempt from tackling or something? I don't see how we can play him as a mezzala if he refuses to put the foot in. There's no way he should play ahead of Lautaro/Sanchez. He looks a luxury player, it's trequartista or bench. I'm beginning to wonder why we got him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaindé View Post
    As I said as a trequartista he shouldn't be expected to tackle, as a mezzala tho...
    13th feb:
    Quote Originally Posted by surripere View Post
    Looks like Conte is happy to play him in central midfield after all. I'd say it's him or Sensi in future, I doubt he'll play both unless forced to do so.
    9th Mar:
    Quote Originally Posted by surripere View Post
    A pointless, stupid signing if you're not prepared to play him as a trequartista, which Conte isn't.
    It is clear from these comments that we were still playing 3-5-2. Everyone before lockdown was complaining how Conte is wasting Eriksen NOT playing him as a trequartista or close to the goal. Yourself included.

    Here are some comments from the Conte thread immediately post lockdown further confirming when the formation change to 3-4-1-2 happened:

    04 Jun 2020:
    Quote Originally Posted by DARi0 View Post
    Finally some good news: Eriksen convinces Conte

    Inter playmaker Christian Eriksen has reportedly impressed enough in training and to book a place in the starting line-up against Napoli in the Coppa Italia.

    The newspaper reveals that Conte has picked Eriksen among the starters during his first tactical training sessions and points out that we might see a 3-4-1-2 with the Dane behind Romelu Lukaku and Lautaro Martinez when Inter travel to the San Paolo to face Napoli.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post
    Thus far, playing to our "strengths" has led to us playing a 3-5-2 with the omission of Eriksen.

    I have very little faith that Conte will sunddenly include Eriksen in the eleven, deploy him behind the front two and and change the team's formation to accommodate him. Personally, that sounds like a bit too much change for Conte.
    13 Jun 2020:
    Quote Originally Posted by vex View Post
    There is no way he is changing anything, putting eriksen in amf position is as radical change as we will see while he is here.
    Here is a tactical analysis of one of our final games pre-lockdown, against Juve with noEriksen. Its clear that we were still playing 3-5-2.



    So clearly your "facts" are incorrect. My argument holds.
    Last edited by Bluenine; 02 Mar 21 at 13:43.

  9. Thanks (3): cuba gooding, Harpsabu, varmin

  10. #407
    Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 09
    Posts
    24,723
    Thanked
    55,769 times
    Fav. Player
    Kolarov

    South Korea

    89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member Most Diverse Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by NimAraya View Post
    Well said Uni. Conte fans and apologists' memory works as good as last few weeks. There is 0 excuse for the treatment Conte gave to Eriksen prior to the past few weeks. Gaglairdini, Vidal and Brozovic were all playing poor, yet these people are defending Conte's decision to freeze Eriksen to the bench for these 3 and humiliate him with 2 minutes playing time every few weeks! No person on his right mind would defend such a treatment if they were not busy defending a coach whose job is to integrate the team and get the best out of the options he has.
    I know right. It was literally just FOUR games ago that Eriksen became a starter in this CM position.. 4!!! While I said myself that I want to leave things in the past and move forward, I allow myself that concession because I'm very aware of the time frame of these events.

    In reality, let's not act like Eriksen being humiliated with punishment subs is ancient history and that now everything is happy because he's fully established himself as a key player. Four games is absolutely nothing! It was 3 weeks ago ffs. To assume he's a nailed-on starter is ridiculous. People talking about next season is ridiculous. I still worry every single match, right up until the lineups are published, that Conte will re-bench Eriksen

    4 games guys, I can't stress it enough. Past few weeks have been amazing but it's very recent history (literally just 6 weeks ago) that Eriksen was making a solitary 20 minute cameo across 8 consecutive league games.

    (Haters will argue I'm twisting the stats because he missed one of those games for the birth of his child )

    Quote Originally Posted by varmin View Post
    Facts are that there were some games where Eriksen was running like headless chicken with no idea what to do.
    Let's not put all the blame on Conte. There are two sides in every story.
    That's kind of the whole point of this conversation. Headless chicken, ineffective, whatever. Either way, you're saying he was poor, no? I'm saying the reason for that poorness were to do with the factors I mentioned earlier. And as we've discussed to death, the broken 3412, and Conte's insistence on playing Eriksen in that formation, was a significant factor to that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Il Drago View Post
    This has been mentioned before so many times but let's try again. Before this January Eriksen was used as a mezzala only twice. His debut at Udine and the away game against Cagliari this season. That's it.
    Exactly. Played CM twice out of 17 league games last season. 6 times out of 26 total apps in 2019/20.

    I mean, the very fact that Eriksen averages just 42.6 minutes per appearance should really say everything. How anyone could think that is giving a fair chance is beyond me. And that's only a surface stat taken out of context. When you actually look at the closer picture it gets worse because everyone knows the completely random and inconsistent minutes he got.

    I took out all the games where he featured for less than 10 minutes (of which there are fucking TWELVE ) and these are the stats:

    - In 20 games as an AM he played on average 60 minutes. If you include the garbage time subs it goes down to 39 minutes
    - In 13 games as CM he played on average 45 minutes.

    However, before this recent stint as a starter (which I am counting from the Coppa Italia semi final 2nd leg to the Genoa match yesterday), Eriksen averaged just 30.8 minutes in 9 games as a CM, having not once played more than an hour, let alone a full 90. (Again, this is purely AM vs CM data, I am not including the 2 games he played DM.)

    So.. Eriksen has worn the Inter shirt 47 times. If you remove garbage time apps under 10 mins, and count the games up until he became a "starter" (literally 3 weeks ago ), he only played 9 times as a CM spread out over those 47 games, averaging just 30.8 minutes per game.

    "Given a chance" my ass.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯


  11. #408
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    24,288
    Thanked
    22,212 times

    Italy

    10 years of FIF Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Bluenine, are you for real? You picked some comments and the replies revolving around one (rather undecided) member throughout 4 months to present "facts"? That's a very poor sample out of a biased selection of comments. Do better please...
    <<Gli scudetti è giusto vincerli sul campo>> Antonio Conte on Calciopoli

    Peppino Prisco facci un gol


  12. #409
    varmin's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Dec 14
    Posts
    3,898
    Thanked
    4,336 times

    Bulgaria

    Forum Supporter
    Conte hasn't treated special Eriksen or somebody else in the squad except his pupils aka Lukaku and Vidal.
    There are many examples that Conte applies the same "treatment" to other players from the squad, not only and particularly to Eriksen. Remember Asamoah, he was a starter at the beginning of the past season than he dropped suddenly out of the team. Skriniar also had a tough time being rotated left and right and on the bench. Same goes for Godin.IIRC Biraghi had been used mostly as substitute at the beginning of the season but at the moment when he improved his product, he received more chances. Barella had been benched for a while, after some not so convincing performances as well. This season Conte had an idea to play with Kolarov and DD as CBs and after he's realized that this is a complete bullshit, both of them went directly to the bench. So, if one does not deliver up to Conte's standards and expectations, he goes on the bench and receives his special treatment except if his name is Lukaku.
    Stop blaming only him for the unsuccessful start of Eriksen's career at Inter. He definitely has some fault but it's ridiculous to blame Conte for everything wrong on the pitch, but in same time to praise only players when we win.

  13. Thanks (1): cuba gooding

  14. #410
    Jusef's Avatar
    Join Date
    31 Jul 19
    Posts
    211
    Thanked
    231 times

    Canada

    Quote Originally Posted by Kova10 View Post
    Eriksen had more than enough chances given even as LCM against Cagliari. Conte basically screamed half the Game for Eriksen to keep his position, as he freestyled his way into number 10 everytime. The point is that there were always better Performers, and even Gagliardini was tactically more sound. Why are substitutions an insult by the way? Why does noone say the same about Vidal and Ashley Young in the last two Games?

    Above the Eriksen issue, the post contains flaws that are actively spreaded and contribute to some 'alternative' facts about Conte.

    Kolarov and D'Ambrosio were never meant to be starters in this system. Conte was forced to use them in the games he used them because of either injuries, COVID or squad rotation.
    He picked Kolarov because he was short on budget, and expected to win. So naturally he took the most experienced cheap option. Same with Vidal by the way. I doubt that he would have played with us If we had a bigger budget to operate. He doesn't love Vidal, he treats him like anyone else which can be seen in him being left out of the starting eleven, because of disciplinary problems.

    The results we are delivering now should have been delivered on a weekly basis by the way, as realistically there has been only one game we have been literally outplayed (vs Napoli). We werent capable of finishing games (Lazio, Roma, Atalanta) and grab the games as soon as possible (Sampdoria) because of offensive individual fuck ups and Not because of the tactical aspect. Same goes for the games against Real Madrid, Juventus (Coppa), Gladbach, and Milan (the First one). There the individual fuck ups occured defensively.
    Vidal not favoured by Conte? If there is one player that if Eriksen played instead of you can argue the team would still be in the champions league it’s him. After his screw ups vs M’glabach he should have stayed on the bench.

  15. #411
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Feb 09
    Posts
    11,626
    Thanked
    26,089 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    10 years of FIF Most Optimistic Member Transfer Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    Bluenine, are you for real? You picked some comments and the replies revolving around one (rather undecided) member throughout 4 months to present "facts"? That's a very poor sample out of a biased selection of comments. Do better please...
    LOL. I quoted 6 different posters over 6 months, funny how you saw only 1. Let me humour you a bit more with more posts and a quote by Bergomi, all collaborating the same fact. I am focusing on only that one point now, and calling your bulls**t on it. Are all these 10 odd posters wrong, or are you wrong?

    One thing you will have to appreciate Brehme is that you can't change facts to suit your opinion. It should be the other way around.

    Feb to May 2020:
    Quote Originally Posted by ADRossi View Post
    I can see it now. The year is 2022. We've sold Skriniar and Eriksen to sign Marcos Alonso and Arturo Vidal. We're still playing a 3-5-2 with Candreva as starting RWB. After the retirement of Handanovic, the club has elected to name Berni captain.
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeCordoba View Post
    Eriksen forced to a mezzala role is just facepalm-stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by DARi0 View Post
    ^^ Inter legend Beppe Bergomi seems to agree with you Cafe:

    “Eriksen, on the other hand, finds little room in a 3-5-2 in my opinion. Under this aspect Conte had some difficulties, in order to enhance him we could change the formation to a 3-4-1-2, personally I would keep a 3-man defense anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pajo View Post
    He should be deffo played as AM. He has played as CM lots of time in Spurs as well, but ass attacking minded CM with less defensive responsibilites. Similar to how Sensi played in his first month here. And Spurs ALWAYS had two midfielders that are good in defense next to him, since he didnt defend much (in terms of tackling). We have those two, Brozo and Barella. Sensi probably too.

    That being said, even 3-4-1-2 can deffinielly work. Brozo and Barella behind Eriksen, is excellent trio. And having Sensi of the bench instead of Vecino when we need to attack is as great as it can be.
    Jun:
    Quote Originally Posted by Il Drago View Post
    I will be pleasantly surprised if Conte switches to 3-4-1-2 or 4-3-1-2 as his plan a. He hasn't played with a trequartista before so he would be getting out of his comfort zone.

  16. Thanks (2): cuba gooding, Harpsabu

  17. #412

    Join Date
    08 Nov 20
    Posts
    398
    Thanked
    782 times
    Fav. Player
    Romelu Lukaku

    Belgium

    Best Forum Newcomer Most Passionate Member
    The results are in! Let's discuss them either here or in their appropriate thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by FairyTailed View Post
    The Player Rating Results are in!

    Late... But better late than never! We're already looking forward to playing Parma tomorrow. But before we go there, let's have a quick look back at the numbers of our convincing win against Genoa!

    Sempre Forza Inter!



    - - - - - -





























    - - - Additions - - -

    The submissions for this game can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

    Overall Season Doc:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

    - - - END - - -

    Hope everyone enjoyed participating and I hope you like the result.

    Feel free to discuss below.

  18. Thanks (3): Bluenine, Raul Duke, Sawyer

  19. #413
    brehme1989's Avatar
    Join Date
    17 Jan 05
    Posts
    24,288
    Thanked
    22,212 times

    Italy

    10 years of FIF Most Serious Member Most Stubborn Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    LOL. I quoted 6 different posters over 6 months, funny how you saw only 1. Let me humour you a bit more with more posts and a quote by Bergomi, all collaborating the same fact. I am focusing on only that one point now, and calling your bulls**t on it. Are all these 10 odd posters wrong, or are you wrong?

    One thing you will have to appreciate Brehme is that you can't change facts to suit your opinion. It should be the other way around.

    Feb to May 2020:



    Jun:
    And what are these supposed to show?

    ADRossi's post is quoting myself saying that if Conte has his way he'll sell Skriniar and Eriksen and focus on shitty signings just so that he can keep his system as he refused to integrate them.
    Cafe's quote is from the covid break.
    Bergomi quote is also during the covid break, care to show us the number of starts, minutes and the role Eriksen got until that date?


    Your initial post was on what surripere said and some of the replies on his quotes, like Cafe's post you quoted there is basically quoting him saying that Eriksen is playing trequartista... then he says "it's not trequartista" It's like you prepared the whole post just to show us how one member was uncertain about Eriksen's role only to conclude that he was even more uncertain after a few months


    Also, all of this just to prove that what you said was wrong, yet I'm the stubborn one? Please decide what your argument actually is.


    https://www.transfermarkt.com/spielb...ericht/3305603


    Since you like quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluenine View Post
    What an attacking line up! Conte is really going for it.

    But a part of me wished that he will use the coppa to give chances to youngsters like Esposito and Agoume, and some well deserved rest to key players like Lukaku and Barella.
    Before Eriksen's debut, just 1-2 days after he joined us, we played vs Fiorentina in the Coppa. 3-4-1-2.

    Did Conte opt for a 3-4-1-2 "to accommodate Eriksen" as the narrative suggested, from the get go? Hell to the fuck no!
    Did Conte switch to 3-4-1-2 to cup games and EL just because he was experimenting or whatever? Yes, yes he did.
    Did Conte switch to 3-4-1-2 after the break? Yes, he also did. Until he did not. Eriksen was not the beneficiary of that transition. Had he been an automatic starter for that role, sure, you'd have something. But he was not.

    Eriksen had one start vs Udinese away, didn't make 60 minutes but it was his first ever start iirc.
    He came on as a sub in the Milan game in the place of Sanchez, so playing behind a lone striker for a while in some 3-5-1-1 variation.
    Did not play vs Napoli at home in the Cup game, Sensi started and we had some weird 3-4+1-2 hybrid, where he was either trequarista or mezzala. Very awkward to watch. I assume the idea was for a 3-4-1-2, too.
    Lazio away, 3-5-2. Eriksen did not play.
    Ludogorets away. 3-5-2. Eriksen started and it was an awkward lineup with Valero and Vecino being the other two midfielders. Cannot call it a classic Conte 3 man midfield.
    Ludogorets at home. 3-4-1-2 and Eriksen got his garbage minutes as a trequartista.
    Juventus loss. 3-5-2 Eriksen did not play.

    Fast forward 3 months and:
    Napoli away for the cup, 3-4-1-2, Eriksen got the goal with that direct corner kick.
    And that was it. He got three successive starts after that in the league and then he became the last player on the list.
    First league start since the break, no Brozovic, no Sensi.
    Second league start since the break, no Brozovic, no Sensi and Barella had some injury concerns.
    Third league start, since the break, no Brozovic, no Sensi.
    And of course, no Vecino for all these games.

    After Brozo returned to the lineup, he barely played again. Valero was getting a lot of minutes all of the sudden and even Barella played as trequartista. Saying that Conte changed the formation mainly to accommodate Eriksen is just blatant false.
    <<Gli scudetti è giusto vincerli sul campo>> Antonio Conte on Calciopoli

    Peppino Prisco facci un gol

  20. Thanks (4): Fitzy, NimAraya, Sqnalkel, Universe

  21. #414

    Join Date
    08 Nov 20
    Posts
    398
    Thanked
    782 times
    Fav. Player
    Romelu Lukaku

    Belgium

    Best Forum Newcomer Most Passionate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyTailed View Post
    The results are in! Let's discuss them either here or in their appropriate thread!
    Hakimi's rating has to be Brozovic's! My bad. An error slipped in. It has been fixed in the document, but obviously can't be fixed in the posted image.

  22. #415
    Bluenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Feb 09
    Posts
    11,626
    Thanked
    26,089 times
    Fav. Player
    Zanetti

    England

    10 years of FIF Most Optimistic Member Transfer Guru
    LOL Brehme, don't deflect now. My last two posts are just to prove that the following statement by you is incorrect. Nothing more and nothing else.

    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    The 3-4-1-2 change occurred before Eriksen played a minute for the club.
    From Il Drago to ADRossi to our legend Bergomi, all quotes above prove that you are making this up, and all these posters know it. And there are dozens of more posts, but I thought these 10 should be enough to illustrate this. All this is just to make a point that you shouldn't make up "alternate facts" to support your arguments.

    I have no problems with Uni's argument for example - he and I have a difference of opinion. Which is cool. All of us are bound to have some, and this is the forum to discuss it. I respect his opinions even when they are different from mine.

    What is not cool is when you make up stuff and present it as a fact. You are obviously not going to correct yourself here. My point is made, so lets end this here.
    Last edited by Bluenine; 03 Mar 21 at 10:37.

  23. Thanks (2): cuba gooding, varmin

  24. #416
    Candreva Crosses's Avatar
    Join Date
    05 Feb 16
    Posts
    7,920
    Thanked
    10,789 times
    Fav. Player
    Inter Milan
    Old name
    EEeyOO

    Burundi

    87
    Quote Originally Posted by brehme1989 View Post
    Stop twisting the narrative with facts Uni
    Someone report him for trying to bait universe.
    Quote Originally Posted by .h. View Post
    i think you've forgotten the creative genius that was a midfield of Zanetti-Vieira-Cambiasso with Stankovic in front
    tiki-whati
    Quote Originally Posted by Provenzano View Post
    I think we should say - Skriniar Milan, because Milan should be in second place.

  25. Thanks (2): Bluenine, MVD

  26. #417
    cuba gooding's Avatar
    Join Date
    18 Jan 11
    Posts
    241
    Thanked
    217 times
    Fav. Player
    Chuchu

    United States

    Why would Conte changed the 3-52 which was working quite well in the first half of the last season, if not for Eriksen who came in January.

    In the beginning of this season, Eriksen also get some opportunity to start the game in 3-4-1-2. he did not perform and when he was subbed of, we made goals. After Conte changed back to 3-5-2 we performed well. I think it was the time when Conte had enough with deploying 3-4-1-2 to accommodate Eriksen, and therefore he force Eriksen to adapt to 3-5-2. first as sub Bro in the center of midfield, but then he tried also in mezzala which apparently are working well now.

    you can argue he was not giving very much or long chances for Eriksen, but its clear Conte did made an effort to try to accommodate Eriksen. even to change the formation to suit Eriksen.
    Last edited by cuba gooding; 03 Mar 21 at 10:10.

  27. Thanks (3): Bluenine, Ed., Raul Duke

  28. #418

    Join Date
    19 Dec 08
    Posts
    5,544
    Thanked
    7,170 times
    Fav. Player
    Milito

    Australia

    60 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    From memory, even when Eriksen was benched, Conte retained the 3-4-1-2 playing Barella and others in the hole. Presumably in anticipation of fitting Eriksen in the future. In retrospect that formation didn’t work out for us at all and Conte eventually aborted it.

  29. Thanks (2): Bluenine, Ed.

  30. #419
    Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 09
    Posts
    24,723
    Thanked
    55,769 times
    Fav. Player
    Kolarov

    South Korea

    89 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Best Overall Poster Most Humorous Member Most Diverse Poster
    I don't really understand what is being argued here anymore.

    Is Bluenine arguing that Conte went for the 3412 as an attempt to accommodate Eriksen? and that this "attempt" should be considered some kind of "credit" in Conte's favor to support the argument that he legitimately gave Eriksen a fair chance? Is that what is being said?

    If so, I can agree to an extent. I won't argue if people want to assert that Conte adapted to the 3412 to try fit Eriksen in. However, I don't think it's the most important issue here.

    I certainly think Conte dismissed Eriksen as a suitable CM candidate due to his lightweight physicality.

    On that note, I really don't want to promote this concept of Eriksen vs Conte, nor promote forum members to take sides. But just to illustrate a point: those on "Team Eriksen", such as myself, do not deny that he's not super effective in defense.

    Despite his movement style, which is not aggressive, Eriksen has never, ever been "lazy" as some have suggested. Eriksen has always covered a ton of ground. We're all super impressed with Brozovic's insane distance covered stats for example. In the 2018 World Cup, Eriksen was one of precious few players who actually averaged higher km's than Brozovic per game.

    Anyway, despite this, he clearly isn't as defensively capable as Vidal for example. Vidal relishes the physical duels and being combative. He puts his body on the line, makes tackles and wins balls. Eriksen clearly does not. No one denies or disputes this.

    What I have been arguing is that despite Conte's preference for a Vidal-style, tough-tackling CM, Eriksen's defensive work rate is enough of a substitute, but moreover, his offensive contribution outweighs any lesser defensive capabilities. I'm arguing that therefore, Conte should not have dismissed him as a CM and held this narrow-minded view that Eriksen can only play AM - if that is indeed what happened.

    Back to the main point though: even if Conte made a legitimate attempt to fit Eriksen in by adapting to the 3412, the "credit" or "goodwill" earned from that does not outweigh the negatives. The minutes don't lie. The inconsistent starts and fleeting substitute appearances don't lie.

    This is the timeline of events the way I see it:

    1. Conte prematurely (and incorrectly) decided Eriksen was not a suitable CM because he isn't as physical as someone like Vidal.

    2. Conte decides Eriksen can only play AM and plays him in the deeply flawed 3412 system. (Again, whether he changed the formation to accommodate Eriksen, or whether Eriksen was just coincidental to ongoing tactical experiments is largely irrelevant.)

    3. Conte isn't impressed and instead of either adjusting his tactics or being patient with Eriksen, just starts impatiently chopping and changing personnel, leading to ludicrous inconsistency in Eriksen's game time. How is a player ever supposed to get settled in like that?

    4. As mentioned, regardless of Eriksen, Conte has lingering interest in his 3412 experiment and continues to try it with every midfielder taking turns to play as the "1".

    5. Finally Conte realises the 3412 doesn't work and abandons it in favor of the 352 flat. Eriksen is benched, further damaging what little confidence he had. Eriksen then endures weeks of humiliating 1 minute appearances.

    6. Due to some tactical adjustments in training, but also heavily due to injuries to Vidal and Sensi, plus an inability to make moves on the market, Conte finally gives Eriksen some chances, albeit firstly as a fucking DM of all positions.

    7. Eriksen performs and retains his starting spot for a few games. Happy days.

    The crux of all this boils down to one very simple argument: Eriksen could've reached step 7 MUCH sooner if Conte had just given him the fair chances from day one, and that it's not his fault that he didn't get here until over a fucking year later.

    That is the one and only thing I am asserting.
    **I move away from the mic to breathe in

    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  31. Thanks (4): eduzee, Fitzy, Javier'sSon, NimAraya

  32. #420
    CafeCordoba's Avatar
    Join Date
    07 Mar 04
    Posts
    27,308
    Thanked
    19,681 times
    Fav. Player
    Barella, Hakimi

    Finland

    39 10 years of FIF
    I don't think we can make such a conclusion that Conte should have given Eriksen a fair chance earlier. We don't know what has happened in the training sessions. Maybe Eriksen wasn't ready for the role yet in Conte's books. I remember the Cagliari match where Conte shouted to Eriksen almost from the start. Eriksen started the match nicely offensively, then faded bit by bit to non-existence. I wouldn't count out Eriksen wasn't doing things Conte wanted him to do.

    And now since Jan-Feb, Eriksen has been doing things Conte wants him to do so Eriksen is playing.

    And, I'm definitely not taking any sides here. I can see faults in both the coach and the player.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •