Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Argentina

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Argentina

This country is often discussed in these forums, mainly due to its' strong ties to Inter. Especially because of champion players like Javier Zanetti and Esteban Cambiasso. Then there are other good players like Veron, Solari, Burdisso, Kily Gonzalez and Julio Cruz (watch his compilation in my signature!).

There have also been many legends at Inter who are Argentinian. Helenio Herrera is probably the best manager we've ever had.

Then there are other great players in our history like Diego Simeone, Daniel Passarella, Batistuta (he didn't play well for us, but he was still a great player), Hernan Crespo, Antonio Angelillo and Atillio De Maria I.

We even have Argentine member on these forums, catanha10.

So here's some facts about the country itself.

Background: Following independence from Spain in 1816, Argentina experienced periods of internal political conflict between conservatives and liberals and between civilian and military factions. After World War II, a long period of Peronist authoritarian rule and interference in subsequent governments was followed by a military junta that took power in 1976. Democracy returned in 1983, and numerous elections since then have underscored Argentina's progress in democratic consolidation

Location: Southern South America, bordering the South Atlantic Ocean, between Chile and Uruguay.

Geography - notes: Second-largest country in South America (after Brazil); strategic location relative to sea lanes between the South Atlantic and the South Pacific Oceans (Strait of Magellan, Beagle Channel, Drake Passage); Cerro Aconcagua is South America's tallest mountain, while Laguna del Carbon is the lowest point in the Western Hemisphere

Ethnic groups: white (mostly Spanish and Italian) 97%, mestizo (mixed white and Amerindian ancestry), Amerindian, or other non-white groups .

Religions: nominally Roman Catholic 92% (less than 20% practicing), Protestant 2%, Jewish 2%, other 4%

Languages: Spanish (official), English, Italian, German, French

Disputes - international:
    Argentina claims the UK-administered Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas) and South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands in its constitution; it briefly occupied the Falklands in 1982, but in 1995 agreed no longer to seek settlement by force; territorial claim in Antarctica partially overlaps UK and Chilean claims (see Antarctic disputes); unruly region at convergence of Argentina-Brazil-Paraguay borders is locus of money laundering, smuggling, arms and illegal narcotics trafficking, and fundraising for extremist organizations; uncontested dispute between Brazil and Uruguay over Braziliera Island in the Quarai/Cuareim River leaves the tripoint with Argentina in question.

Can anyone tell me what this Falklands bullshit is about? It's some shit island next to Argentina, if I'm right, who cares about it? Shouldn't it belong to Argentina anyway? Since it's right to next Argentina, whereas England is on the other side of the planet.

catanha, maybe you can tell us more.

By the way, does everyone like my avatar? Thanks to Fabio. It's pretty nice, huh?

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    umm, well we had a huge war over it about 20 years back.. maybe it's next to Argentina, but then Bermuda is an English island when thats right next to the USA.. it's more to do with historical territory really, cos England was a major colonial power, back in the days when colonies = money..

it's complicated though
    Juve - ladri colpevolia per sempre
    Una volta un ladro sempre un ladro

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

I know about English colonies.

I live in one.

Not that I have anything against English people, but I don't like seeing a British sign in my flag, because I have no roots in England - nor do most other Australians.

Fav. Player
    Santigol

First of all, nice avatar.

Well Argentina has about 40 million people. It's currency is Peso.
    It has over the past few years been in a little turmoil with regards to it's leadership problems due to financial problems, but things are slowly but surely getting better. There is no doubt that if the Futebol NT wins the WC, things will massively imrpove.

The Falklands issue is quite stupid and embarassing. Long story short, we think that the Malvinas belongs to us as we got the rights from Spain whereas the British believe that it is theirs as they've admistered it for 150 years. Then in the 80's Argentina went into Falklands, the British sent troops, and now own the Falklands (sigh).

Anything else you want to know, primo?

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Quote Originally Posted by catanha10
    yeah.

what part are you from and how long did you spend there? what's it like?

is it nice to holiday in?

have you ever been to a Boca-River match? They sound crazy.

why did you move to Australia?

I hope it's not too many.

Fav. Player
    Santigol

I was born in Cordoba, which is what Milan is to Rome (in ref to Cordoba to Buenos Aires). Supported Newell's, never got to see a Boca-River match as you had to pre-book like months before the game. Biggest I've been to is a Newell's play Boca, the atmosphere was electic, kind of scary as a young person...because you could not hear yourself think, incredrible...we lost 4-0.
    @ Newell's I was lucky enough to see Batistuta and Sensini at the start of their careers, and I must admit, neither of them was that special back then. Hero was Passarella, even though he was a River man...you couldn't hate him because of the way he played the game.

Holidays are perfect. The women, the weather and the parties @ night are great. It's gets a bit boring living there in regards to holidays, but when you move overseas and then go back to your homeland, there is nothing better.

Came to Australia in 95 from Switzerland (did University there) because I had family over here.

Happy to oblige, primo.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

I was born in Cordoba, which is what Milan is to Rome (in ref to Cordoba to Buenos Aires). Supported Newell's, never got to see a Boca-River match as you had to pre-book like months before the game. Biggest I've been to is a Newell's play Boca, the atmosphere was electic, kind of scary as a young person...because you could not hear yourself think, incredrible...we lost 4-0.
    @ Newell's I was lucky enough to see Batistuta and Sensini at the start of their careers, and I must admit, neither of them was that special back then. Hero was Passarella, even though he was a River man...you couldn't hate him because of the way he played the game.

Holidays are perfect. The women, the weather and the parties @ night are great. It's gets a bit boring living there in regards to holidays, but when you move overseas and then go back to your homeland, there is nothing better.

Came to Australia in 95 from Switzerland (did University there) because I had family over here.

Happy to oblige, primo.
    Thanks alot my friend. I want to go there some day. I've been fascinated by it for a long time for some reason. I don't know why, I just have!

What's your background by the way? Italian?

I noticed the topic's name was changed from ARGENTINA to Argentina. LOL these mods are so picky on little things like that, but they allow people to make religous slurs. Unbelievable mate....

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    because it looks neater in small letters of course

& what's so wrong with half the world being colonies of England at some stage or another lol

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Quote Originally Posted by katiey86
    because it looks neater in small letters of course

& what's so wrong with half the world being colonies of England at some stage or another lol
    lol, nothing I can really think of.. somebody has to colonise the places I guess.

but what I don't understand is... if English people colonised Australia, why didn't they bring football with them?

"AUSSIES" here of BRITISH descent typically dislike football.

Fav. Player
    Santigol

My background is Spanish, primo.

The English people in Australia hate football, because...err...I dunno why, but it farking ticks me off the people I work with.
    Everytime there is a discussion about futebol, they immediately starting bagging it out and bring up Rugby.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    i think we didnt bring football over because we colonised wayyy before football was a big sport nationally..

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

i think we didnt bring football over because we colonised wayyy before football was a big sport nationally..
    U did give cricket to India ... n it sucks ... i'd prefer football over Cricket anyday ...
    When The Going Gets Tough ... We\'ll Together Survive The INTERbulent Storms ... May The Madonnina Smile Upon Us.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Quote Originally Posted by K2
    U did give cricket to India ... n it sucks ... i'd prefer football over Cricket anyday ...
    they did it to us too

God I can't stand cricket.. it's the stupidest sport ever

you don't even need to be fit, half of them are fatasses

First of all, nice avatar.

Well Argentina has about 40 million people. It's currency is Peso.
    It has over the past few years been in a little turmoil with regards to it's leadership problems due to financial problems, but things are slowly but surely getting better. There is no doubt that if the Futebol NT wins the WC, things will massively imrpove.

The Falklands issue is quite stupid and embarassing. Long story short, we think that the Malvinas belongs to us as we got the rights from Spain whereas the British believe that it is theirs as they've admistered it for 150 years. Then in the 80's Argentina went into Falklands, the British sent troops, and now own the Falklands (sigh).

The Falkland war is very complicated, because you more or less has to know allot about the cold war as well. But the only reason England invaded it was to remove the English population attention from the problem within their own boarder, and before that time England have to give up several of their former colonies. It was Englandís Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher who was behind it.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    lol Thatchers a legend yeh she was the one behind it & the English people pretty much loved her for it.. ahh the good old days of Conservative rule

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    Pirlo

United States

Do not forget that my country backed England up
    Ich bin muede.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy