Thread: Magic: The Gathering

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Magic: The Gathering

Who plays Magic here? Come on, come out of the closet. There's nothing to hide because i like to play MTG too.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Syria

10 years of FIF
    what is it?

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

A card game. Or should i say, the card game.

They look like this:

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    Pirlo

United States

Tim, I used to play it when I was in Junior High.
    It was very fun, however I sold all my cards when moving to the States.
    Quite funny that you mention Magic, because a couple of days ago I was actually thinking about getting back into it.
    Ich bin muede.

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I kinda toyed with it in secondary school but I played D&D more. Nerd alert! Actually I've straddled the fine line between nerd and cool person for most of my life.

I haven't played either for awhile though.

Fav. Player
    Pirlo

United States

lol I play warhammer.
    Does that make me a nerd?
    Ich bin muede.

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    I play MTG! I still have loads of cards, left behind by my friend who moved away, and didn't want to play MTG anymore. He gave me all his cards, including rare ones. Yeah. But I seldom play MTG now, mainly because of lack of opponents. I'm too lazy to get my ass to Bishan.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Hey Jupiter, that's great news. We should meet up for some matches. I still have my Dream Halls & Time Spiral combo deck that rarely gets used.

I hardly play Type 2 as i'm too lazy (or broke) to constantly buy the latest sets to make those decks. I try and play Extended or Legacy formats.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    What exactly is Extended anyway?

I don't really get all the Tournament formats like Extended or Type 2, or whatever. I just buy a whole bunch of cards, mix and match, come up with a really good deck, and play with my friends. But I know the rules, and how to play.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Well here's a short breakdown:

Type 1 (Vintage): All cards are considered from Alpha to the latest sets (Kamigawa block). Usually, these games are dominated by all the most powerful and expensive cards (Power 9). Insane combos are the order for Type 1, and it isn't surprising to see games end on round 1. If you're playing Type 1 combo, you know your combo didn't go right if you haven't killed your opponent by turn 3.

Type 1.5 (Legacy): It uses the same format as Type 1, except they use a different restricted/ban list from the former. Legacy's ban list usually includes the cards that were restricted in Vintage. This is to allow players without access to the most expensive cards to have a running shot. Note: the powerful cards in Legacy that dominate the tournaments are still very expensive but not in the high hundreds or close to a thousand as in Vintage.

Type 2 (Standard): This is clearly the most popular tournament format as nearly 3/4 of all official sanctioned MTG tournaments use it. It's a format that basically uses the last 2 editions of the editions (currently 7th and 8th edition) and the last 3 block formats (Onslaught, Mirrodin and Kamigawa). Therefore, in order to play Standard, you'd have to constantly buy new cards when new blocks or sets (3 sets in 1 block) come out. For example, the next set (Ravica) is coming out soon and this will invalidate Onslaught block for use in Standard. Simlarly, when Magic 9th Edition is released, 7th Edition cards are not available for selection use as well.

Extended: It is similar to Standard, but it increases the number of blocks and editions allowed. This gives players more freedom in choosing previous cards in older blocks that still remain popular whilst not forcing them to continuously buy cards from new sets as they are released.

The decks i play are a cross between Extended/Legacy & Vintage, as i use some relatively older cards that are not available for selection in Extended formats (from sets such as Stronghold, etc.).

Anyway, what decks do you have? Care to share?

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

This game is very popular in my country!
    CSKA Sofia 1948 Forever!