Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF

Edson Arantes do Nascimento

First, if you went "huh?" when you read the name, shame on you!

Edson Arantes do Nascimento is nothing less than the Greatest Player Of All Time, also known as Pele.

I'm posting some brief extracts from an interview he gave to UK magazine FourFourTwo.

Can you remember the first time you kicked a football?

Of course I remember. I was six years old and it was my birthday. At that time it was difficult to get a leather ball because they were so expensive. Then on my birthday, one of the players from my father's team, a man called Sosa, gave me a leather ball and that was the first time I kicked a real ball. Before that, we used socks stuffed with papers or a grapefruit.

Do you remember your first World Cup in 1958? Could you take in what it meant?

I was 17 years old, but I remember it very, very well, first because I had a good World Cup, but also because it was the first time I'd travelled outside of Brazil. I remember that after the final, I was so excited because I'd played and Brazil had won and I desperately wanted to tell my family. I wanted to call them to find out if they knew about the game because a t that time it was only on the radio. So I said to the newspaper and radio men, "Where can I find a telephone? I want to call my father." But they didn't have a telephone so I had to wait until the next day to call them. I remember saying "Hello! Champions, we're champions!" and all the other players were in a line waiting to call home. Today if a guy scores a goal, he runs to the camera and says, "Mummy, I scored a goal!" but back then it was very, very different.

Do you regret not moving to Europe? Did you get any offers?

I had a lot of offers to come to Europe, but I was OK at Santos. The difference in those days was that the money they offered was not so big that you couldn't refuse it.
    Later in my career, Real Madrid made an excellent offer and Giovanni Agnelli from Juventus wanted to give me a share of Fiat in return for me signing (Fiat had opened a plant in Brazil and they wanted to use me to promote it).
    It's funny because I tease the Brazilian players now. I see them kissing the badge on their shirt as say "I love Manchester, I love it". Then the next year, they move and they say "I love Roma, I love it". They don't love the club, they love the money, that's why they moved. That's OK, but at some point you've got to decide what you love: the team, or the money?

Motorsport News voted the moment when you didn't wave the chequered flag at the 2002 Brazilian Grand Prix winner Michael Schumacher the 27th most embarrassing motorsport moment ever. What happened?

[Giggling throughout his answer] The director of the track said to me, "Listen, when the car is approaching, 800 metres away, I'm going to touch you, so just relax, you don't have to worry." So the end of the race came, and I saw Schumacher and his brother appear but the director hadn't touched me. It was getting late so I got ready to wave the flag, but just before I waved it, he touched me. I looked at him to say, "What?" and then I looked back, Schumacher had passed. I said: "Why are you touching me now? You were supposed to touch me before." He said, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry." Then I put the flag up. People tease me, but when I waved the flag, he had only just passed. It was between first and second.

Who do you rate as the best player in the world right now? I have you down as a Ronaldinho man…

I don't like to say who is the best right now because then the newspapers say, "Pele says 'X' is the best in the world", and that puts so much pressure on that player. The best players are the ones who show consistency over many years. That's why for me Zidane has been the best player of the last 10 years.
    Ronaldinho is a good player, he has some nice skills and he's playing well, but let's see if he can keep it up. Let's see how he plays in three or four or five years' time.

In print your relationship with Maradona seems very acrimonious. How do you get on when you meet face to face?

We don't have a problem. It's only the newspapers. Last year, I was at his farewell game. They had a big party for him and I was there. The problem is, Maradona likes to talk and sometimes the newspapers push him, then he says something, but I've never had a problem with him. We are not friends, but I was with him in October. The truth is, I feel sorry for him. He was a great player, but he got lost because of the drugs. I hope now that he can recover, that he can have a normal life. That's what I pray for.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Croatia

41 10 years of FIF
    pele sucx
    "If we win I will be the first to leave the pitch. If we lose, I will be the last. I'm no masochist, but the difficult moments don't scare me."

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member

Re: Edson Arantes do Nascimento

Quote Originally Posted by Pele
    It's funny because I tease the Brazilian players now. I see them kissing the badge on their shirt as say "I love Manchester, I love it". Then the next year, they move and they say "I love Roma, I love it". They don't love the club, they love the money, that's why they moved. That's OK, but at some point you've got to decide what you love: the team, or the money?
    Fantastic!

Handyo

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by cro nerazzurri
    pele sucx
    I'm too embarrassed for you to comment...
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Croatia

41 10 years of FIF
    he isnt even close to be greatest of all time... maradonna is GOD for him

but everyone have thiere opinions
    "If we win I will be the first to leave the pitch. If we lose, I will be the last. I'm no masochist, but the difficult moments don't scare me."

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Well Cro, Maradona may be the best for you but i wouldn't dare say that Pele wasn't even close.

Yeah, what Han quoted. That's the essential and fundamental point about being Brazilian. They don't have any real emotional roots with their clubs.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Croatia

41 10 years of FIF
    maradonna is far better, but he sint the only one...

today there are players better then pele

in the time pele played, there wore no tactics, no defending, it was official that then players run 300% less then today...and few more things

henry adriano,ronadlinho,zidane,nesta,zanetti,ibra,nedve d,sheva,ronaldo,....and ,more would eat pele in that time

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    he isnt even close to be greatest of all time... maradonna is GOD for him

but everyone have thiere opinions
    don't u mean maradonna is 'hand of god'
    Juve - ladri colpevolia per sempre
    Una volta un ladro sempre un ladro

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

LOOOL Yeah God's hand I never forget that one.

Saying Pele is crap is the worst baloney I have heard for some time. How can you possible say that any of those you name would be better back then him that is BS. Because none of us would really now for sure would we.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Croatia

41 10 years of FIF
    pele is so overrated and...

he was geanius but bring 20 years old pele in today football and he wouldnt even be regular player at inter

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    mhmm i'm sure
    just how maradonna needs to use his hand to help him score a goal

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

What is wrong with that it has become a trend, now every striker with respect for them self will try to copy that goal at least one time in their carrier.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    yeh & why not just change the name of this sport to handball

anyways, there's no taking it away from Pele that he's a great of the game.. ask say a million people around the world randomly on the streets who is the best ever footballer & it's for sure that 90% would say Pele.. He doesn't get that reputation for being a crap player..

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Pele was a great player but El Diego was trhe best.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

pele is so overrated and...

he was geanius but bring 20 years old pele in today football and he wouldnt even be regular player at inter
    You have got to be kidding me. Granted, i've not seen much of him but this probably goes for most of us as well. Therefore, the yardstick used to measure Pele's greatness are players, coaches and fans from his era, as well as the lucky ones who have been exposed to his matches. Pele's reputation precedes him, but we cannot say he is overrated because of that. If it were so, the tide of voices claiming his over acclaimed fame would be greater. As of today, the only person i have seen who mentions that Pele is overrated is you Cro.

There are those who argue that Maradona was the greater player but nobody has ever undervalued Pele's ability as a footballer as much as you. Shocking, but true.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Croatia

41 10 years of FIF
    nice to hear iam special because of something!

i dont say pele wasnt genius, he was, his abilitys are amazing, but he canont be compared to today players... every year football is groving and players...

so pele is great, best for his time, but if u could bring pele to today football i can give my arms and legs that he would be player like thomert, lualua, h. camara or luyindula.... average striker, talented but average player

i dont hate pele but tahts my thoughts

maradonna is god for him

Fav. Player
    Santigol

Greatest player of all time?
    Cough cough.

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I've only seen clips of both guys but in my opinion Diego gets the nod. After all, he almost single-handetedly (sp?) carried Napoli on his back when he was there.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    he also single-handedly carried the ball into the back of the net against England

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

And that Napoli side was surely not all Maradona. Lots of great players made that success possible.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion