Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is the best central defender in the world?

Jimmy
    I rate Carvalho as the second best defender in the world (yes you heard me), so that he is benched is an outrage. If we didn't already have two central defenders in our team, I'd get an orgasm thinking about Carvalho in our team.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Who is the first?

Fabio
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Jimmy
    Sadly a Milanista called Nesta.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

All of Nesta, Carvalho and Terry play for teams that employ defensive tactics. So, you can't really say they are the best in the world.

Rio, and a healthy Sol and Ayala are the best of the best. Their team don't play defenisvely, yet they all shine. Too bad the latter two have been injured alot, specially Ayala, otherwise they would be head and shoulders above Nesta and co.

Jimmy
    That logic makes no sense. For starters, Carvalho is brilliant with Portugal, and do they play defensively?

And Nesta has been outstanding for the last ten years or so. It has nothing to do with Milan playing defensively, which I don't even agree with. Is there a team that relies on individuality in the defence, it is Milan. Look at how they defend, and you'll see they don't play zonal defence whatsoever.

You can't disregard individual brilliance because a team plays rather defensively.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

I was talking about Carvalho with Porto and Chelsea, both teams play defensively. I haven't enough of him with the NT to judge, but from what I saw, Andrade outperforms him.

As for the logic, you have to look at how the team plays. All the Serie A teams, except for few, instruct their midfielders to almost defend first and then attack, so the whole league is pretty much that way. It's you and your opponents, so it's much easier to be a defender. Your team defends, and so does the opposing team.

Yes, Milan aren't like Juve, but they still have 3 midfielders (Gattusso, Seedorf, Pirlo) that pretty much defend more than they attack.

Add to that the fact that Nesta has been paired up with great CD's wherever he went. From Sensi to Maldini, and passing through good defenders like Stam and Cannavaro. Whether with NT or team, Nesta has always had great partners.

Where as Campbell, Ayala and Rio (except at Leeds) had average partners and still excelled.

Jimmy
    You're telling me that Nesta had a good partner in Lazio?! Mihajlovic?

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

That was for a brief period I believe. I am not 100% sure, but it wasn't for more than a season. Besides, Miha isn't the worse defender on earth. He is better than Toure and Marchena!

I am not saying Nesta is bad, he is pure class, but he benefited from many things.

Fav. Player
    Santigol

The day Terry wins a CL medal, then come and tell me he's as good as Carvalho.
    Its funny how these poms all of the sudden think that Terry is god and sh1ts on Ricky C, when Ricky C just had his first season in England and was one hell of a defender even though he missed a few months with a injury which would affect defenders.

Terry is a bullish defender, but I'm gonna enjoy the circles the good strikers are gonna run around him @ the WC when he won't have Ferreira, Carvalho, Gallas, Del Horno and Makalele or Mourinho with him.

Carvalho's ass hair has more class than Terry.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Nesta is without a doubt the best defender in the world. And no, Carvalho is good but not as good as Terry. In my opinion, of course.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

The day Nesta plays in an offensive team like us now, and he is partnered by an average defender, I can see him as being the greatest on earth.

LOL at that comment about Carvalho's class by Catanha, it's so grotesque that made me laugh like hell!

Jimmy
    It doesn't matter how defensive Milan plays. Their defence is organized by individual performances. They play man-to-man defence a lot of the times.

You can't just discredit someone like Nesta or Carvalho for that matter, because they play in a defensive team. If you do, then you clearly aren't watching how the individual defenders are performing on the pitch.

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I think Terry is good but he is definately overhyped...Carvalho is on the same level in that lineup defensively so again i will argue it can go both ways when its close...Especially that Terry benefits from his goals and leadership more.

We must look beyond the hype sometimes...I believe even King is just as good if not better for his speed and height.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Greece

10 years of FIF
    King is way better defensivewise than Terry. Terry has no special defence talent. He is not known for being good in zonal defence. Not known for being a good man marker. He's only known for scoring goals with his head! Carvalho is extremely good in zonal defence and above average on man marking.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by yuko
    King is way better defensivewise than Terry. Terry has no special defence talent. He is not known for being good in zonal defence. Not known for being a good man marker. He's only known for scoring goals with his head!
    That's total bullshit...
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    It doesn't matter how defensive Milan plays. Their defence is organized by individual performances. They play man-to-man defence a lot of the times.

You can't just discredit someone like Nesta or Carvalho for that matter, because they play in a defensive team. If you do, then you clearly aren't watching how the individual defenders are performing on the pitch.
    Telling that someone is better than them isn't discrediting them.

In a defender, I look at the following amongst other things. How he is individually, how his team plays, and who his partner is. Nesta and Carvalho are excellent in the first, but aren't as good in the last two.

Anyway, I read an interview by Robben where he also criticized the policy of players being benched. But he still playted today.

Jimmy
    Nesta won the Scudetto by playing next to Mihajlovic. And Lazio at that time was really bad until Nesta returned from an injury.

So you are discrediting his qualities as a central defender.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

All right, I don't really have a great memory to go back then and remember, but I will take your word for that.

However, that was 5 years ago, and for one season. So the question now, would you think Nesta thesedays would still pull the same? I personally think he is on the decline, specially his performances last year.

Jimmy
    Nesta was hardly a one-season wonder at Lazio. He was the best defender in the world, and we were all drooling over the prospect of having him.

And his performances in Milan is of the same quality. Milan doesn't cover players who makes mistakes, so the defenders has to be flawless, and one has to admit that Milan is the strongest team in the world.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Again, I'm not saying he is not world class, but he isn't the best in the world.

You didn't answer my question, do you think if Nesta played in the same circumstances as Ayala and Campbell, he would be as good as they were? Namely, playing with average partners, for a very long time, and in a totally offensive team and league.