Thread: Chievo vs Inter Match Report

0 times

Chievo vs Inter Match Report

Hello Interfriends,

In this midweek session of Serie A, Inter find their third win of the season beating Chievo away from home 1-0 on a goal by Walter Samuel on his Serie A debut for the club. Walter Samuel scored his first goal for the nerazzuri at the 4th minute of the second half to win the 3 points.

Mancini keeps the 4-4-2 formation but makes 5 changes to the squad as turnover is the key word of the day. Samuel made his obvious debut after serving his 3 match ban as Cordoba moved over to the right back role. In the midfield Veron-Cambiasso took a rest on the bench and C.Zanetti-Pizarro came into the center of the pitch. Up front it was Cruz-Recoba who got the start with Adriano-Martins rounding out the bench.

Inter comes out flying in the match and create and control the game with ease but also put on a display of vertical football as they keep the tempo high and feed the balls to the strikers often. Chievo were an organized side though and despite the posession and good ball movement Inter could not break the scoreline.

The class between the two sides was evident all over the pitch and world class touches by both Recoba and Figo allowed Inter to always keep the pressure on Chievo and it was only a matter time before they broke down.

Inter could have scored many goals in the first half but Ex-Inter goalie Fontana was in inspired mood and was a wall in goal tonight. In the final stages of the first half he came up big saving a great left footed volley by Recoba and then saved a close range left footer by Cruz to end the half after making numerous saves in the first 45min.

Inter do however get what they deserved for the wonderful first half play as Walter Samuel scores only 4 minutes into the second half. Favalli wins a corner kick and its Figo who sends in a great ball into the center of the area. Walter Samuel arrives and heads it passed Fontana to make it 1-0 and score on his debut. We could say it was a random event, but Samuel actually had 2 chances to score from corner kicks in the first half but just missed on both occasion. So it seems to me Samuel is gonna be going forward alot to help out this year.

Chievo do try to respond but Inter hold the play well and still go looking for more goals keeping Chievo pinned back. Once again its Fontana who was stellar in goal as he made save after save especially off of some great Recoba strikes.

Mancini decides to bring on some fresh legs and brings on Adriano, Cambiasso and Veron to keep momentum up and not allow Chievo back into the match. Inter looked very good and balanced even after the changes bringing home all 3 points. Figo looked great all over the park today and it seems he is getting used to Serie A and more important his team-mates as he worked well providing many crosses and passes but also a few give and goes down the touchline.

Overall a great performance and well earned 3 points. Inter will now have a very tough string of games as they face high flying Fiorentina on the weekend, Glasgow Rangers midweek and the big match against Juventus next weekend making all the games important for points and morale for a long season ahead!

5,116 times

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Thanx a lot for the great report, Eddy!

A question though, how did we play after Veron & Cambiasso was subbed in? Is it a 4-men flat midfield like the one we saw in Renzo Barbera, but this time with Deki on the left?

811 times
    Fav. Player

24 10 years of FIF
    Thanx eddy great report.
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

3 times
    Fav. Player
    Oh I can't deci

Gracias Eddy, Im about to watch the match myself. I'll make note of your points.

2,042 times
    Fav. Player

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Thank you Eddy. Great report as usual.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name

1 times
    Fav. Player
    Crespo, Figo, I

thans for the report Eddy !