Thread: Best league in the world

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

Best league in the world

Resident Paisan: Want Exciting? Watch Serie A.
    9/26/2005 4:49:00 PM
    Anyone put off by the "boring" game being played over in England can take solace in the excitement of Italy's Serie A, says Goal.com's Resident Paisan, Clemente Lisi.
    Serie A has become the most entertaining league in the world. And those of you who are snickering at that statement haven’t been watching the Italian game over the past month. While the overrated English Premiership gets all the love, Serie A has been putting on the most riveting soccer show on the planet.

Gone are the days of Eric Cantona, David Beckham and the attack-minded Manchester United teams of the 1990’s. Even the Arsenal side that won the Premiership two years ago -- so stylish and flamboyant that it instantly drew comparisons to the Brazil side that won the 1970 World Cup – only survives on highlight reels.

Now it seems that amid all the money and hype, the Prem has gone defensive – even more than Serie A ever did – with coaches afraid to lose their jobs (that would explain the 4-5-1 formations) and players shackled by tension. Watching paint dry can be more exciting that an EPL game.

Sure, Chelsea is a powerhouse, but they’re unbearable to watch and have made a mockery out of the EPL title race. Chelsea’s ability to win ugly is nothing new in the Prem. Remember the pre-Arsene Wenger Arsenal days? The Gunners played such an uninspired style just a decade ago that its fans used chant, “Boring, boring Arsenal” as if smothering opponents with a defensive style – and the occasional counterattack -- was a badge of honor.

But English tastes appear to have changed. The stands have been empty over the past few weeks. Premiership fans have abandoned their teams, opting to watch from the comfort of their living rooms. At least you can channel surf or turn off the TV (or is that the tele?) if the game is putting you to sleep! I’m sure Prem fans have done some of both this month.

Serie A is going in the opposite direction. Gone are the days of the catenaccio. Heck, not even Italy’s national team plays that boring style of calcio anymore. You know, the one that has gotten the Italians nowhere at the World Cup since they last won it in 1982.

Here are some numbers: over the first four matchdays, Serie A averaged about 2.6 goals per game. By contrast, the Premiership averaged a miserable 2.1 after four matchdays.

Want more proof? Look no further than the title race.

The Premiership is a one-team show. Chelsea has been crushing opponents (or are they putting them to sleep?) on its way to the top of the standings. Even last week’s 0-0 tie between Manchester United and Liverpool – expected to be a goalfest -- was a drab and defensive display. There isn’t much hope for the EPL if two of the leagues biggest title contenders can’t put on an exciting game.

Instead, the Scudetto race has become an engaging affair. Sure, Juventus sits atop the table and is gearing up for a repeat, but the clash also includes Palermo, Fiorentina, Sampdoria, Udinese, Inter Milan and AC Milan.

Am I delighted that the EPL has gone bad? Not at all. Boring soccer – no matter where it is being played – hurts the game.

The implosion of the Premiership as an enjoyable product also hurts soccer in the United States. Americans regularly tune into EPL games (thanks to a full schedule each weekend beamed from across the pond and into our homes). If we are forced to watch dull games, then soccer’s reputation will suffer a blow.

I do have advice for fans bored with watching EPL games each Saturday. Set your alarm clocks for Sunday and watch a Serie A game. Trust me, you certainly won’t be disappointed. Actually, you may be surprised.

SOURCE: http://www.goal.com/NewsDetail.aspx?...88999&progr=14

Plus the comments follwoing this r also great, its good to know that the world is full of intelligent beings, and not just EPL mama boys
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Man finaly i thought so since the last three years the only team wich was playing nice football back then was Arsenal, but right now not even they are playing intresting footbal.

Think this is the first time i totaly agree with an article published on Goal.com
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

Fav. Player

Canada

A little exaggerated but yeah pretty good point.
    ████████████████████████████████████

*18* VERO

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Croatia

41 10 years of FIF
    For me, there is only 2 top leagues: seria a and premiership

spanish, german, french, holland,..leagues are all great, I watch them allways, but nothing compares to this 2 leagues.

players who aren't in epl or calcio just aren't so physicly fit, aren't that strong

I feel boring watching seria a, there isn't that much action, but I allways give them credit for fighting, tactics and team play
    "If we win I will be the first to leave the pitch. If we lose, I will be the last. I'm no masochist, but the difficult moments don't scare me."

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I was arguing this all the time...and i agree with the writer for once.Tell you the truth i think he stole my points off something i wrote on goal.com...

Just look at the goals per game and u will see SerieA isnt a league that doesnt have goals despite the defences being strong too...

Look at the competition where its always till the end and not 8 weeks before the end where the champion is known..

The competition between more than one team to get the title !!

Star power and more storylines in SerieA thatn EPL
    Ziyad Of Boston

Spain

For me the serie A always has been the best, premier league and lfp waste more much money than serie a on transfers but...... inter, milan, roma, juve, lecce, lazio, parma, palermo, sampdoria, udinese, fiorentina... there are always good teams.

Fav. Player
    Chino

I dunno but for me, La liga has the best technical players. But that does not make La Liga the best in the world as Serie A has always been the most competitive.

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

I have always respected laligo, eventhough iuts sad to see that there r only 2 real contenders in it this season, nad with real's habit of screwing themselves, there actually seems to be only one. In EPL its chelsea by a long shot, EPL truly is a boring and pathetic league with all media made overrated stars, THEY SUCK.
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    It seems the boring cries have worked in that there are more goals this week than previous ones in the EPL....Still though SerieA has more goals than EPL despite this big jump in the EPL.

Chelsea has however just annahilated Liverpool so it seems they will not be stopped.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player

Canada

La liga has such a gay table. Celta Vigo and Getafe are leading above Barcelona, Madrid, Valencia etc.

EPL is already finished just give Chelsea the fcking trophy already and stop wasting precious TV air time.

While Serie A has a true battle for the scudetto.
    ████████████████████████████████████

*18* VERO

Fav. Player
    Pupi

Mozambique

I dont like the EPL at all. Serie A is the best in my opinion

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I like the EPL but Chelsea is well on their way to their 2nd Premieship Championship. Kinda takes the fun out of watching the games when you realize how much better they are than everyone else i.e the recent Liverpool game.

La Liga is similar to the EPL but there's more competition and more surprises during the season (ala Getafe at the moment) than the EPL.

Serie A is the best at the moment, not only in terms of attacking teams and quality players but more parity than the two other leagues. Anybody can beat anybody nowadays (Palermo-Inter, Samp-Merda, Siena-Roma) as mid-table teams improve on a yearly basis. Italy also has a whopping 7 teams in European competition and it's almost a guarantee a few will make it to the later rounds in their respective competitions.