Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Qualification to WC 2006 - Uruguay VS Australia

Syria

10 years of FIF

Qualification to WC 2006 - Uruguay VS Australia

Well theres absolutely no topic regarding the Aussies. But with Hiddink as the coach and such talented players this could be the year.

Our last worldcup was 1974. But that really does not reflect our talent, and our Confeds cup was something to forget. If Australia play to the abilities of their players they have a great chance, hopefully Hiddink can bring that out of them.

Ill also be going to sydney to see the return leg, barring the result in the first leg heh.

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    What does your starting lineup look like? I'll be pulling for you guys and the best of luck!

Fav. Player
    Santigol

Guus has tried various formations and various players, so I guess the starting XI is a bit of a mystery.
    This is what I'm hoping for atleast.

Kalac
    Neill Moore Ljubo
    Bresciano Culina Grella Cahill Kewell
    Viduka Thompson

Very attacking team. I know there is no Emerton, Chipperfield, Skoko and Aloisi..but I think Australia's problem against Uruguay last time was the lack of firepower...and with Uruguay we have to go out and take advantage of their average defence. And with Bresciano, Kewell, Culina, Cahill all toghether in midfield, it will be hard for the likes of Pablo Garcia to defend.

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

I like your line up catanha. Aloisi is better than Thompson though in my opinion.

Emerton and Skoko don't deserve chances because neither is playing regularly for their clubs.

Greece

10 years of FIF
    I know that many of you come from Australia and must definetly support them, but I'm rooting for Recoba, Carini and Sorondo in this one.

P.S: Does Paul Okon play for Australia any time now? He plays for my team in Cyprus at the moment and having a player going to the WC will be an honour. He's 33 years old btw

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Okon doesn't play for Australia but some pundits want him back. I'd give him a 1% chance of a return though. Others would say it's less likely.

You should know that Sorondo doesn't play for Inter, nor does Carini. Sorondo will never return, and Carini may return but not for a while. Anyway, I hope Recoba scores a hat-trick in Montevideo and it's a 3-3 draw, then Australia win at home 4-3 with another Recoba hat-trick. How's that?

Fav. Player
    Santigol

I don't think my heart can handle that^.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    I beg to differ about Emerton i think he deserves a spot, but Kalac>Schwarzer?
    Unless he has an injury that will keep him out for the next month i do not understand your decision Catanha?

And since im a Melbournian i would love to see Archie Thompson play.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Sorry you Aussie connected people (and I DO love your country) but I am rooting for Uruguay in this one!

I did say sorry!

Fabio
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Fair enough.. 1/4 of Uruguay is Italian so it's understandable.

and helal, I thought you were from Sydney... I thought you were one of those 'bankstown' or 'Penrith' boys..

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by primo-inter
    Fair enough.. 1/4 of Uruguay is Italian so it's understandable.

and helal, I thought you were from Sydney... I thought you were one of those 'bankstown' or 'Penrith' boys..
    Nah mate, im born and bred in Melbourne. So i have great rivalry with anything to do with Sydney heh

Fav. Player
    Oba

Sorry guys, but I am hoping that Uruguay will make it through against Australia as I would love to see Recoba play in the World cup.

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Interforeva
    Sorry guys, but I am hoping that Uruguay will make it through against Australia as I would love to see Recoba play in the World cup.
    Im with you for the same reason. Any NT with our player(s) in it will have my sympathy.
    Noi non siamo gobbi ba$tardi

"In un mondo di puttane e oportunisti noi avevamo scelto la migliore; Addio Traditore!"

R.I.P Cipe

Syria

10 years of FIF
    yeh thanks for the input guys...woohoo

I think Uruguay will win.

5 teams from S. America

I really would like to see both teams playing next summer in Germany, but when it's not possible, i'm behind Uruguay in this one. That's because i'd love to see Chino playing in World Cup..

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

It should be more interesting this time than last time, given that Hiddink should be an important factor.
    Both teams are better better than in the last match up. Should be an interesting game..
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghahbe of Turkey
    Wiltord had a better goalratio than Henry for France
    Wiltord 26 goals, 92 games
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Fav. Player
    J. Zanetti, Fig

Hiddink has improved the team so much. You can't imagine how shit we were when Farina was in charge.

I think if we get into the world cup Hiddink will have enough time between November and next June to make the team really strong and we could maybe get into the 2nd round or even quarter finals. If he can bring PSV to the semi-finals of the CL then maybe he can do the same with Australia.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    No doubt about it primo, quite frankly i never wanna hear Farina's name again

Australia threaten to walk off in Montevideo

SYDNEY, Oct 18 (Reuters) - Australia are threatening to walk off the pitch in next month's World Cup playoff in Uruguay if there is a repeat of the crowd trouble that marred their previous visit four years ago.

Australia's players hired armed security guards to protect them after they were jostled and spat at on their last trip to South America which resulted in a 3-0 defeat.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) chief executive John O'Neill said the Australian players would be better prepared this time but would not hesitate to walk off if there was any crowd trouble.

'I've seen it before, that a team can always come off the field,' O'Neill said on Tuesday.

'I was at the Rugby World Cup final in 1999 when the French resorted to eye gouging and (Australian captain) John Eales told the referee that if this continues I'm taking my team off the field.

'If you've got a high quality referee, good line judges and the match is conducted according to the rules of FIFA you shouldn't get down to that.

'Equally, we will not be shrinking violets.'

Defeat last time meant the Australians missed out on a place in the 2002 World Cup finals having won the home leg 1-0.

O'Neill called on FIFA to ensure there was no repeat of the crowd problems.

'They have to ensure that the spirit of fair play, and that's the banner under which FIFA runs itself, is absolutely adhered to.

'We need to make sure that FIFA, under whose auspices this game is being run, have taken all the measures to ensure there is no repetition of what happened four years ago.'

Australia play Uruguay in Montevideo on November 12 in the first leg of their World Cup playoff. The return match will be held in Sydney four days later.

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

BLAAH aussie's have a history of making security excuses, eventhough its going to be nice to see what will happen if they walk out??

If he can bring PSV to the semi-finals of the CL then maybe he can do the same with Australia.
    Because PSV had a great team last year, Australia just does not have the same quality. Sorry guys but I think that Uruguay are going to defeat you badly, and ofcourse I will be rooting for Recoba
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.