Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ramadan

Syria

10 years of FIF

Ramadan

Well its been about 13 days or so of fasting. We have alot of muslims on the board and im jsut wondering is anybody else fasting?

Anyway, if people wish to know about it you may ask but if anybody wants to make some fun of it or of the belifes then maybe its not your place to answer...

2. Thanks (1): blackmore

Re: Ramadan

I have been fasting for 14 days now.
    I'm crushed, Black and Blue, but you know I'd do it all again for you.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    OK, call me insane, but I just develop this crazy theory that fasting can be easily solved by changing the time zone in which you are awake. For example, sleep at 07:00 and only wake up at 15:00. You'll only then have to fast for an extra 3-4 hours before you can eat again. But of course, this can only be practiced if you are a person with no life.

No offense intended, just something I picked up from my unusual sleeping hours during this holiday period.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

LOL Han, I remember back in the days some lazy kids used to do it. They'd sleep after sunrise, then get up moments before sunset and eat. However, this way you miss some prayers, and it's important to pray during Ramadan.

For me it's my 12th day fasting, and it's been great. However, I keep missing Suhur, and I end up eating just one meal the entire day, which makes it hard during the day after. I tried using 2 alarm clocks, but still!

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

I came across these two interesting articles a while ago, both from UEFA.com:

Mixing faith and football
    Tuesday, 25 November 2003
    By Andy Hall

This week, more than one billion Muslims will finish the fast of Ramadan. Last week uefa.com looked at how Ramadan affected the daily lives of professional footballers in France; here we consider the situation across the border in Spain.

Month of worship

This year Ramadan, the ninth month in the Muslim calendar, began on 27 October. The four weeks that follow are a time for reflection, worship and self-examination during which several restraints are placed on the daily lives of members of the Muslim faith. Fasting is undertaken and no water or food can be consumed during daylight hours - this is to increase self-discipline while serving as a reminder of what it is to go without things that are normally taken for granted.

Option to postpone

In Spain, eight players from the top division are Muslims, including Zinedine Zidane, Nourredine Naybet, Nihat Kahveci, Mohamed Sissoko, Rüstü Reçber, Nafti, Moha El Yaagoubi and Ibrahima Bakayoko. Not all, however, strictly observe the Ramadan ritual. Some choose to postpone fasting until a more convenient time, such as the winter break or when the season is over - an option that is permitted.

Naybet's choice

RC Deportivo La Coruña defender Naybet is one of the few players who choose to fast during the holy month. "I have spent many years in Spain and have never missed Ramadan," he explained. "It's something very normal for me, although I suppose physically, you do notice it a little."

Vitamin supplements

So how can sportsmen - running low on the vital calories and minerals - balance the requisites of their religion with the gruelling demands of the modern game? Head of medical services at Deportivo, César Cobián, told uefa.com: "There have been isolated cases of players becoming tired, not during Ramadan itself, but later in the season - but even that is very rare. Players can top up their system by taking vitamin supplements and making sure they eat a good meal the night before a match."

No problem

Cobián stressed that neither he nor the club saw any problem with players following their religious beliefs. "Personally, I am respectful towards all religions, it's a very personal thing and something you have to acknowledge and accept," he said.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

The dilemma of Ramadan
    Tuesday, 18 November 2003

By Matthew Spiro & Mark Chaplin

For the large number of practising Muslims playing professional football in France, the month of Ramadan poses a dilemma. While all are keen to respect Ramadan - and therefore not drink, eat or smoke while the sun is up - most accept that fasting on the day of a match prevents them from performing at their best and can also compromise their safety on the pitch.

No match-day fasting

RC Strasbourg's Moroccan defender Abdelillah Fahmi sticks as closely as he can to the constraints, but admits he breaks the fast on match days. "I've been fasting since I was 16 or 17, so I am used to it and I cope fine in training," he explained. "On match days, however, I don't fast. I make up for it by fasting again when Ramadan has finished - during the winter break, for example."

Understanding coach

Fortunately for Fahmi, he has an understanding coach in Antoine Koumbouaré, who was previously reserve-team boss at Paris Saint-Germain FC. "I have a chat with the Muslim players before Ramadan starts," Koumbouaré said. "When I was in Paris, special training sessions were organised for players who were fasting. Here at Strasbourg the players come to an agreement with the imam (Muslim priest) and it is not a problem."

No choice

But Koumbouaré nevertheless adopts a ruthless policy with those who refuse to break the fast on match days. "The players have to eat and drink on match days - there is no choice," he continued. "The rule is that the players who refuse to break the fast simply do not play."

Right timing

Ramadan does not take place at the same time every year, and Olympique de Marseille defender Philippe Christanval - who, like Fahmi, fasts every day except match days - admits that timing does play a part. "If Ramadan was to take place in the middle of a heat wave we would have dehydration problems," said the French international.

Fast decision

There are, however, players who no longer fast during the season because they fear they will lose strength. Strasbourg midfield player Yacine Abdessadki said: "I don't do it because I want to play at the top level. When you have to fight for your place in the team every day it is not easy. You have to be at 100 per cent."

Difficult demands

Olympique Lyonnais midfield player Mahamadou Diarra agreed with Abdessadki. "I always used to follow Ramadan when I was in Mali," he said. "Then when I arrived in Europe I tried to continue but it is very difficult with the demands that are placed on you and I gave up after two weeks. Today I don't do it any more."

African argument

Ramadan has caused a row elsewhere. Egyptian club Ismaily SC accused Tunisian opponents Espérance ST of underhand tactics in changing the kick-off time for the second leg of their African CAF Champions League semi-final at the weekend to take advantage of Ramadan.

Kick-off time

Ismaily's coach Theo Bucker claimed that by changing the start time from late evening to mid-afternoon, the Tunisians were hoping to catch his players in a weakened condition as they would be fasting. In the end, Bucker was able to smile – Ismaily clinched a place in the final with a 6-2 aggregate win.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamed
    For me it's my 12th day fasting, and it's been great. However, I keep missing Suhur, and I end up eating just one meal the entire day, which makes it hard during the day after. I tried using 2 alarm clocks, but still!
    Just like my brother, he cant wake up.
    So far I never missed Suhur, my mom alwayse wakes me up.

Understanding coach

Fortunately for Fahmi, he has an understanding coach in Antoine Koumbouaré, who was previously reserve-team boss at Paris Saint-Germain FC. "I have a chat with the Muslim players before Ramadan starts," Koumbouaré said. "When I was in Paris, special training sessions were organised for players who were fasting. Here at Strasbourg the players come to an agreement with the imam (Muslim priest) and it is not a problem."

No problem

Cobián stressed that neither he nor the club saw any problem with players following their religious beliefs. "Personally, I am respectful towards all religions, it's a very personal thing and something you have to acknowledge and accept," he said.
    This is what I call respect!

African argument

Ramadan has caused a row elsewhere. Egyptian club Ismaily SC accused Tunisian opponents Espérance ST of underhand tactics in changing the kick-off time for the second leg of their African CAF Champions League semi-final at the weekend to take advantage of Ramadan.

Kick-off time

Ismaily's coach Theo Bucker claimed that by changing the start time from late evening to mid-afternoon, the Tunisians were hoping to catch his players in a weakened condition as they would be fasting. In the end, Bucker was able to smile – Ismaily clinched a place in the final with a 6-2 aggregate win.
    Haha, this is good!

Naybet's choice

RC Deportivo La Coruña defender Naybet is one of the few players who choose to fast during the holy month. "I have spent many years in Spain and have never missed Ramadan," he explained. "It's something very normal for me, although I suppose physically, you do notice it a little."
    He is a good man..!
    Do you think Zidane fast...?

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Yeah, that tunisian thing was funny. Although I expected them to understand because I figure they would be fasting too, but whatever, they got what they deserved!

About Zidane, I read once that he always refused to answer when journalists ask him about his religion. But once he finally told them he is a non-practicing muslim, but I am not sure if he does or not.

About Suhur, my mom used to wake me up the whole time. But now I live alone, and I depend on myself, which means alot of missed suhurs!

So what time do you guys eat..? Hamed...helal25..???
    Here in Denmark we eat 18:08(Today)

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

About 18:30, and Suhur is usually around 6:00 ( I made it today )

Syria

10 years of FIF
    i never wake up for Suhur. Its a personal choice, if i eat early in the morning then go back to bed then i wake up thirsty.

so i dont eat in the morning.

About 18:30, and Suhur is usually around 6:00 ( I made it today )
    haha, thats good...

Quote Originally Posted by helal25
    i never wake up for Suhur. Its a personal choice, if i eat early in the morning then go back to bed then i wake up thirsty.

so i dont eat in the morning.
    I also get thirsty, but if I dont eat then is get TOO hungry, so I can't do without Suhur...

Are we the only three who are fasting..???

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

Hey I am also fasting, eventhough I hardly feel it. I am one of those person as Han as mentioned above who DOES NOT HAVE A LIFE. I go to sleep at 7am in the morning, wake up at 3.00 pm , pray Zuhar prayer (k, so i dont go to mosque to pray). And then eat Iftar at 6.00 pm
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.

Quote Originally Posted by shahz_nerazzurri
    Hey I am also fasting, eventhough I hardly feel it. I am one of those person as Han as mentioned above who DOES NOT HAVE A LIFE. I go to sleep at 7am in the morning, wake up at 3.00 pm , pray Zuhar prayer (k, so i dont go to mosque to pray). And then eat Iftar at 6.00 pm
    Do you live in Pakistan...?

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

Quote Originally Posted by KoSoVa

Do you live in Pakistan...?
    Yeah
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Well guys here its 5:10 for futoor...God knows when Suhor is cause i dont wake up to do it. I cant believe there was something more important than food for me but apparantly its sleep

The best thing about this holy month for us is that its really cleansing.The worst is the weight gain,and slowing of the metabolism.

But to me this really is a nice season for us.You get to see more friends out and about till the late hours every day.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Ziyad
    Well guys here its 5:10 for futoor...God knows when Suhor is cause i dont wake up to do it. I cant believe there was something more important than food for me but apparantly its sleep
    Hehehe its not for me...

imagine fasting in the north/south pole lol

Fav. Player
    Tomas Locatelli

Kuwait

19 10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    I didn't miss any day of ramadan .. I've been fasting since the first day until now ..

I don't care alot about Suhur .. I just eat meal at fotor .. and wait for the next one ..

but its very hard ti fast when you're at university from 9.30 am to 4.30 pm ... and the funny thing that when I eat , I don't eat alot .. cuz if did I'd feel REALY SICK !

luckily I didn't miss any day ..

I don't know how Muslim players in Europe can stand that ..
    "Alla Juve non sono dei gentlemen, è la mafia" Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

If you read the articles I posted, it said few do and few don't.

I personally think it's about physique and stamina. I had a friend of mine, who used to play indoor soccer like mad while fasting. I couldn't even be a GK, but he had no problem running, scoring and tackling. And indoor soccer is worse, it makes you tired more than outdoor.