Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading music

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Downloading music

what LEGAL music download system do people recommend?

itunes? hmv digital? napster?

what i am wanting is to download a few tracks a month (prefer to buy actual cd albums) that can be used in other programmes (to use in windows movie maker to put on goal of month video for example) and possibly burnt to cd?

don't want a subscription, just buy individual tracks as and when.

thanks.

Fav. Player
    Capitano

No offence Keir, but why do you want to buy them when you have the chance of getting them for free?
    |INTER F.C.|

Quote Originally Posted by interista7
    No offence Keir, but why do you want to buy them when you have the chance of getting them for free?
    It's illegal have you no shame in your life, DOWNLOADING = STEALING

I have felling i have said that before

Fav. Player
    Capitano

Quote Originally Posted by Blue ÷yster Cult

Selling a CD so expensive is also stealing, but it's legal.
    Perhaps they steal you!!!!
    Have you ever thought it that way?

Unless if cd's in your country are cheap, in Greece are so fackin expensive.
    |INTER F.C.|

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    Theyre expensive here too

But if u really want to pay for it, Keir, iTunes is pretty good.

My usual routine is download the songs free, then if I really like an album i'll get it from Amazon when it's a bit cheaper
    Juve - ladri colpevolia per sempre
    Una volta un ladro sempre un ladro

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Quote Originally Posted by Blue ÷yster Cult

Selling a CD so expensive is also stealing, but it's legal.
    Perhaps they steal you!!!!
    Have you ever thought it that way?

Unless if cd's in your country are cheap, in Greece are so fackin expensive.
    It's expensive here as well, try to see it from their point of view, how would you feel if someone downloaded music you have spend allot of your time to produce. It's the small people on the floor your are hurting and in some cases the artist/artists it's not the record label. the reason why Cd's are so expensive is that allot of persons have to make an income, the artist, the record label, the persons working for the record label, the graphic designer, those who spend hours mixing the Cd's. and so on and so on, but your also hurting the stores and their employees and those who actually buy the Cd's yeah we have to give more because you refuse to pay for it.

Fav. Player
    Capitano

When it comes to mass production of every product, there are many people who are involved in the production process, this is not an excuse.
    The prices of CD's are not reasonable (for a mass producted product).

Ussualy in Greece, when a new cd is out, costs about 25-30 EUR.
    I bought Coldplay's "X&Y" for 25 EUR.
    If you buy it 3-4 months after, you'll buy it 10-15 EUR, as a nice price offer.

Do you believe that the record company and the record shop are selling this product at cost?
    No.
    They just make superprofits out of it and then they sell it at the right price.

It is common logic that when a product is cheaper, there will be more sales.

I don't know what is preferable for record companies, selling less products at high price, or selling more products at a lower price.
    We must talk to their financial analysts.

If CDs were sold at the appropriate prices, I'd prefer to buy them all.
    Now, I can buy only those I like most.

It's nice to have an original CD, but fack them, it's music that counts, not the wrapper.

P.S.: I bought my DVD-rom for my pc for 15 EUR, and a CD costs more...
    |INTER F.C.|

25-30 EUR and I thought Cd's In DK where expensive we pay 22-23 EUR.

And older Cd's for 7-14 EUR

And sometimes if your lucky for a couple of EU

Cd's have become more expensive over the last few years, just for a few years back the price for a new CD was 17 EUR. And this is because people began to download music instead of paying for it.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    Though over here the prices haven't changed since all the downloading started If anything they've gone down.. still, it's between £13 & £18 for a CD in a lot of places round here & older cd's can be even more, up to £20 ive seen them at.

For example, I paid £14 for Linkin Park & Jay-z - Collision Course.. This album has only 6 tracks on it, so yeh, a bit of a rip off there..

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    Capitano

I don't think CDs are expensive due to downloading.
    Expensive CDs lead to that.

It's simple, when record companies low their prices, people will buy once again.
    If not, ok no problem, god bless the net.
    |INTER F.C.|

Doubt it, maybe for some people, but for the majority they don't want to pay anything for something they can get for free. Almost every one I have had this conversation with say that they would not buy the Cd's even if they where cheaper. And they said "why pay for something you can get for free" and that was why all this downloading problem started because someone would not pay for it, because they saw a method to get it for free.

I know someone who says the exact same thing as you guys, and after the person changed music taste from pop "aka crap" to old music, he still didn't buy the Cd's even though those Cd's coasted half as much as new released Cd's. So I would be surprised if any of you kept your word if the price fall on Cd's. I'm not saying that your bad persons, or am I but that the majority would give a rat ass about it.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    nah, I buy cds when they're reduced on amazon, just download songs until they get to that point, cos there's no way I can afford to pay for them. If all I did was download then I wouldn't have around 200 albums

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    Tomas Locatelli

Kuwait

19 10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    damn , they r expensive there !!

anyway I never buy CDs now .. open my computer .. straight to Kazaa , ares or imesh ... download whatever I want for free ..
    "Alla Juve non sono dei gentlemen, Ť la mafia" Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Greece

10 years of FIF
    I buy CD's but also download music. Firstly, CD's are very expensive here, like in Greece. Secondly, there is only one small shop selling music CD's near to my house(I live in suburbs) and it doesn't have a great variety(it's a good shop but...)
    That means that I will not go downtown each time I want a CD, one reason it's that it's not a very pleasant ride to do every day or two and second I'm too lazy and too busy to go...

Besides, nowadays it's hard to find a good CD. There are only a few(3-4) good songs in each new CD now. The rest seem to be there just to fill in the CD!

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    CD's aren't expensive at all anymore in Canada, or as far as I know in the States either. Most cd's will run around between 15 and 20 bucks which is alot better than it was, like seven, eight years ago.

yuko as I have expressed in another topic, then I don't like modern music or pop if you like to call it that. I think it's utterly crap, the lyrics is getting worse and worse and the most artist don't even write their own lyrics anymore, it is made by "professional" songwriters, and it's so clear that the artist/artists have no emotions towards that music that "they" make, heck you can hardly say the music they make cause it is mostly made on a computer which to some extend makes the artist to a figurehead. Since they change the persons voice so it sound like the person has a marvelous voice witch is far from reality. And then we have the samplers who can't even make their own music they just steel other artists work. And to make it even worse then we have someone whose music is only made on a computer (techno, dance and that kind of crap) and they call them self musicians. and if they are then everybody without any musical creativity or skill can call themselves musicians. your not musicians unless you have the instruments in your own hands and know how to use them, or sing without your voice being manipulated with.

I got a little off topic

Anyway back to topic, making an excuse like living to far away, the shop doesnt have my music taste, the Cd's are to expensive, well I have the exact same problems, and you don't see me complaining, I travel a long distance or bye the Cd's in a store or I buy them on the net, to get the music i want, so don't tell me that you can't get the Cd's you want or are to lazy cause you can order them over the net, so you don't have to move your lazy ass if you don't want to. And often you can get Cd's cheaper on the net also the new released once you just have to know the right sites.

Fav. Player
    Capitano

Whether you buy, or download, or both, depends on your money you can spend and how much you love an artist.
    What I usually do is this: download an album and if it's worth buying it, I buy it.
    Believe me I have hundreds of albums and I've spent a lot of money for CDs.
    I only buy the CDs of my favourite artists straight away (like Depeche Mode for example), because I want to have original CDs for my fav artists collection.

I wouldn't blame someone who is downloading only, but for me going to the record shop to buy a cd of your favourite artist and return home immiedietely in order to listen to it, is a ritual.
    I don't have this feeling when I download music...
    It's only a matter of how someone feels about music.

Anyway back to topic, making an excuse like living to far away, the shop doesnt have my music taste, the Cd's are to expensive, well I have the exact same problems, and you don't see me complaining, I travel a long distance or bye the Cd's in a store or I buy them on the net, to get the music i want, so don't tell me that you can't get the Cd's you want or are to lazy cause you can order them over the net, so you don't have to move your lazy ass if you don't want to. And often you can get Cd's cheaper on the net also the new released once you just have to know the right sites
    Are you the owner of any of that record shops?

I know someone who says the exact same thing as you guys, and after the person changed music taste from pop "aka crap" to old music, he still didn't buy the Cd's even though those Cd's coasted half as much as new released Cd's.
    That's true, old CDs are cheap (at least in Greece), it's worth buying them.
    Someone who likes music of the 70's or the 80's and doesn't buy, is either a niggard or has financial problems.
    |INTER F.C.|

Greece

10 years of FIF
    I have like 150-200 CD's when the average Cypriot has less than 50!!!(Everyone downloads here!) I jsut recently started to download music, and a lot of the songs I have downloaded, I have them on CD's...

But for example, I got addicted to Green Day, and have only their latest album. So I searched and downloaded all their previous songs coz I'd never find them in Cyprus...

Fav. Player
    Capitano

Quote Originally Posted by yuko
    But for example, I got addicted to Green Day, and have only their latest album. So I searched and downloaded all their previous songs coz I'd never find them in Cyprus...
    You can't find a Green Day album in Cyprus..?
    |INTER F.C.|

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by yuko
    You can't find a Green Day album in Cyprus..?

Could only find American Idiot in my local store, but didn't have any time to go downtown to check. I think only American Idiot is available or, was available