Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this snake in the old Inter crest?

What is this snake in the old Inter crest?

In the pre 1989 Inter crest there is this image of a snake. Removed in later logos and crest but it does bother me I don't know the symbolism of this snake. Can anyone here explain why it was there?

it's an heritage

Hellò Mr. John Doe!

It appear that "Inter" was born as "Ambrosiana-Inter" that is "Milanese-Inter" if you like: and that sort of "snake" or "biscione" was an ensign of the City rulers many centuries ago.

So it is "charged" now on the colours of "Internazionale" of course.

The old "biscione" was not so happily designed on Milano's insignias .....because was stolen from muslim insignia during the first Crusade a thousand years ago: the snake was featuring to eat the body of a white naked Crusader that days.

The "modern" biscione now eat only "milanisti" during a Derby.

Next I will search an image of ancient insignia for you, and will post here.

So long!

Estonia

10 years of FIF
    That's an great info Giorgetto. I will save it into my mind. Then I will tell that to my grandchilds.
    Check my Downfall parody of Inter transfer summer 2011: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGoSfx-3x8Q

My review of current Inter: http://forzainterforums.com/showthre...703#post862703

My new website: http://footballsnewtalent.wordpress.com/

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    We were not born ambrosio inter. We were forced to adapt that name when mossolini was the dictator of italia. He didn't like the name internazionale and hence we were forced to adapt the ambrosio name.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

5. Thanks (2): achilles, AxigZag.ESIOLAG.

the Snake Insignia Blue

Many thanks for your suggestions and compliments. It is true: the name “Ambrosiana-Inter” was officially used from 1929 to 1945 .....neverheless the name (or surname) “Ambrosiana” and the “snake insignia blue” are part of an elder Internazionale heritage, maybe down to 1908 at large.

In Milano there was 4 (four) football team in 1908: the AC Milan, the US Milanese, the Ausonia, and the “Football Club Internazionale Milano” or Mailand International Football Club if you like, or in fact “the rebels” because their statement was (first) that a Football Team must be “all-foot” when the AC Milan was a “cricket and football” Team, and (second) their Fooball Team must be “international” where possible.

In 1929 Mussolini call the Internazionale to merge with US Milanese, so resulting in a name change for that “new” Team incorporating both “mailanders” opportunities, hence the name Ambrosiana: but we use call ourselves “ambrosiani” like we call the church the school the park the railway the proverbs the recipes and so on..... from Bishop/governor Ambrosius living here about year 390 AD we call “ambrosiana” everything. Gawrsch!

Excuse me: say that a Milanese Team was “forced” to adopt a name like “Ambrosiana” (during a time when this Team uses the “snake/biscione” insignia everywhere) is the same thing if a London Team is “forced” to adopt “Londoniana” surname (!) .....who is forced to adopt what?

So in 1908 in 1929 in 1945 and 2005 the name is unuseful ever: and that shows why the insignia of that unuseful “ambrosian snake” is charged on the Internazionale shield/crest well before 1929..... you can see “the 1908 crest of black and blue and snake” on the Internazionale (french) site here at http://nerazzurri.ifrance.com/histoire.htm with photographs of our 1908 Founders and first Teams.

On the 1908 Inter “shield” you could see the snake with jaws at dinner with someone.

Here you could see a stone shield in closeup with the snake eating someone (and a photograph of Adriano) http://paologuido.splinder.com/archive/2004-10 and here the snake is “charged” on the Milano Castello Sforzesco’s towers http://www.studiocorioni.com/images/foto/biscione.jpg but you can see the “biscione” on the Alfa Romeo shield/crest of course and on many other “ambrosians” institutions.

So long.

7. Thanks (1): bilci

Fav. Player
    J.Cesar

Australia

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by giorgetto
    Many thanks for your suggestions and compliments. It is true: the name “Ambrosiana-Inter” was officially used from 1929 to 1945 .....neverheless the name (or surname) “Ambrosiana” and the “snake insignia blue” are part of an elder Internazionale heritage, maybe down to 1908 at large.
    Quote Originally Posted by giorgetto

In Milano there was 4 (four) football team in 1908: the AC Milan, the US Milanese, the Ausonia, and the “Football Club Internazionale Milano” or Mailand International Football Club if you like, or in fact “the rebels” because their statement was (first) that a Football Team must be “all-foot” when the AC Milan was a “cricket and football” Team, and (second) their Fooball Team must be “international” where possible.

In 1929 Mussolini call the Internazionale to merge with US Milanese, so resulting in a name change for that “new” Team incorporating both “mailanders” opportunities, hence the name Ambrosiana: but we use call ourselves “ambrosiani” like we call the church the school the park the railway the proverbs the recipes and so on..... from Bishop/governor Ambrosius living here about year 390 AD we call “ambrosiana” everything. Gawrsch!

Excuse me: say that a Milanese Team was “forced” to adopt a name like “Ambrosiana” (during a time when this Team uses the “snake/biscione” insignia everywhere) is the same thing if a London Team is “forced” to adopt “Londoniana” surname (!) .....who is forced to adopt what?

So in 1908 in 1929 in 1945 and 2005 the name is unuseful ever: and that shows why the insignia of that unuseful “ambrosian snake” is charged on the Internazionale shield/crest well before 1929..... you can see “the 1908 crest of black and blue and snake” on the Internazionale (french) site here at http://nerazzurri.ifrance.com/histoire.htm with photographs of our 1908 Founders and first Teams.

On the 1908 Inter “shield” you could see the snake with jaws at dinner with someone.

Here you could see a stone shield in closeup with the snake eating someone (and a photograph of Adriano) http://paologuido.splinder.com/archive/2004-10 and here the snake is “charged” on the Milano Castello Sforzesco’s towers http://www.studiocorioni.com/images/foto/biscione.jpg but you can see the “biscione” on the Alfa Romeo shield/crest of course and on many other “ambrosians” institutions.

So long.

Oh thanks giorgetto now i no more about the history but either way i still reckon they should of kept the old logo any can somebody tell me why my font is so large

Cheers
    Marcello
    (its small now all of a sudden )

great stuff guys...
    FORZA INTER
    NON MOLLARE MAI

Fav. Player
    Giuseppe Bergom

Hello! I'm new to this forum....and I'm sorry if my English is not good, my mother language is not English.

This is an interesting thread. We all now could learn more about Inter's history.

If I'm not wrong, some years ago (2-3 years ago) there were somekind of logo that patched on Inter's jacket that wore by players and staffs on the bench and it's looked like a snake.

Is this "snake" symbol still used by Inter until nowadays? If yes, then why Inter not using it again as secondary logo or something.

If I'm not wrong again, the last time Inter take the scudetto was when Inter still using the "snake shield" as the primary logo.

Fav. Player
    Alvaro Recoba

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_D
    If I'm not wrong again, the last time Inter take the scudetto was when Inter still using the "snake shield" as the primary logo.
    well, if u are rite, maybe u should tell that to moratti.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_D
    Hello! I'm new to this forum....and I'm sorry if my English is not good, my mother language is not English.

This is an interesting thread. We all now could learn more about Inter's history.

If I'm not wrong, some years ago (2-3 years ago) there were somekind of logo that patched on Inter's jacket that wore by players and staffs on the bench and it's looked like a snake.

Is this "snake" symbol still used by Inter until nowadays? If yes, then why Inter not using it again as secondary logo or something.

Yes, you're right, the class of 89's with the likes of Matthaus, Serena etc were using the snake logo at the jersey.

Il Biscione!

Fav. Player
    Olivier Dacourt

Why choose "Abrosiana"? I thought it maybe had something to do with "Ambrosia" (food of the gods) in Roman mythology and was chosen because it enhanced the 'Italian-ness' of a team that had 'International' ("Internazionale") in it's name. That's just a guess though. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Luke
    Why choose "Abrosiana"? I thought it maybe had something to do with "Ambrosia" (food of the gods) in Roman mythology and was chosen because it enhanced the 'Italian-ness' of a team that had 'International' ("Internazionale") in it's name. That's just a guess though. Am I wrong?
    Ambrosiana refers to Saint Ambrose, the patron saint of Milano.

Fav. Player
    Olivier Dacourt

Thanks F-C. I'll be able to tell my girlfriend about all this. She's fascinated by Inter. She likes the stuff about Benito Mussolini makin Inter change their name. Her guess about blue and black was blue for Italy and black for facism (maybe Beni Mussolini's influence). Wrong, but it was a good guess!

This is very interesting to read , I also didn't know what the meaning of the snake was. The old crest is really great .

IN TERNAZIONALE

PSV

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

why did we drop the snake badge?
    Noi abbiamo un argentino che gioca al calcio meglio di Pelé

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Because I copyrighted it

<--------

I'll look it up asap

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Luke, F-C, giorgetto, Johndoe, aredinside & Marcel_D

Sorry guys, its a great thread but just out of curiosity here how come theres so many people here who have only posted in this thread while its clear they posess some good knowledge about inter?

Greece

10 years of FIF
    2 of them signed in yesterday I think, but some others just signed to pop the question!

I believe the current logo most closely represent the original logo. The serpent(not a snake) logo came out in the 80's, or even earlier. Inter reverted back to the letter logo in the 90's. I few years ago, the letter logo was modified to include "INTER", 1908, and the star inside the circle.

Yugoslavia

220px-Flag_of_the_Duchy_of_Milan_(1450).svg.jpg

The biscione (snake) as a symbol of Milan

Duchy of Milan

The Duchy was created in 1395 for Gian Galeazzo Visconti, Lord of Milan. When the House of Visconti became extinct in 1447, Milan declared itself a republic, despite the fact that the Duke of Orleans was the legitimate heir by treaty. Orleans proved unable to make good his claim, but the republic was nevertheless short-lived. The adventurer Francesco Sforza, who married the last Visconti's illegitimate daughter, seized Milan in 1450 and made himself Duke.
    In 1498 the Duke of Orleans became King of France as Louis XII, and immediately sought to make good his father's claims to Milan. He invaded in 1499 and soon ousted Lodovico Sforza. The French ruled the Duchy until 1512, when they were ousted by the Swiss, who put Lodovico's son Massimiliano on the throne. Massimiliano did not last very long. The French, now under Francis I, again invaded in 1515 and reasserted their control at the Battle of Marignano, and making Massimiliano their prisoner. The French were again driven out in 1521, this time by the Austrians, who installed Massimiliano's younger brother, Francesco II Sforza.
    Following the decisive French defeat at Pavia in 1525, which seemed to leave the Imperial forces of Charles V dominant in Italy, Francesco joined the League of Cognac against the Emperor along with Venice, Florence the Pope, and the French. This resulted quickly in his own expulsion from Milan by Imperial forces, but he managed to remain in control of various other cities in the Duchy, and was again restored to Milan itself by the peace concluded at Cambrai in 1529.
    When Francesco died without heirs in 1535, the question of succession again arose, with both the Emperor and the King of France claiming the Duchy, leading to more wars. The Duchy of Parma was created in 1545 from a part of the Duchy of Milan south of the Po River, as a fief for Pope Paul III's illegitimate son, Pier Luigi Farnese, centered on the city of Parma.
    The Emperor held the Duchy throughout, eventually investing it on his son Philip. The possession of the Duchy by Spain was finally recognized by the French in the Treaty of Cateau-Cambrésis in 1559.
    The Duchy of Milan remained in Spanish hands until the War of the Spanish Succession in the early 18th century, when it was conquered by the Austrians. The Treaty of Baden which ended the war in 1714 ceded Milan to Austria. The Duchy remained in Austrian hands until it was overrun by the French army of Napoleon Bonaparte in 1796. The Duchy was ceded by Austria in the Treaty of Campo Formio in 1797, and formed the central part of the new Cisalpine Republic.
    After the defeat of Napoleon, according to the decisions of the Congress of Vienna on 9 June 1815, the Duchy of Milan was not restored, but became part of the Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia, a constituent of the Austrian Empire and with the Emperor of Austria as its king. This Kingdom ceased to exist when the remaining portion of it was annexed to the Kingdom of Italy in 1866.