Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strongest defence of 2005

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Strongest defence of 2005

Juve ? INTER.

We played a total of 39 Serie A matches in the year 2005 (second half of season 04/05 and first part of this season) and conceded 27 goals. Juventus conceded two more goals , 29, in 39 matches played in 05.

Breakdown...

04/05 -> 13 goals conceded in 22 matches. Starting from Livorno 0-2 Inter on the 6th of January 2005 untill the last match of the season, a 0-0 draw at home against Reggina.

05/06 -> 14 goals conceded in 17 matches. Starting from Inter 3-0 Treviso on the 28th of August 2005 untill the latest match played in 2005, a 4-1 win against Empoli on the 21st of December.

This shows the great efforts made by Mancini and the boys. We had a slow start to last season where the results didn't arrive ( draw, draw, draw, draw... ) and the goals didn't seem to stop going into our net, but numbers clearly indicate that we're improving in that all important aspect of football. Of the 14 goals conceded in Serie A this season, 10 were conceded when we didn't have Javier Zanetti on the pitch , which forced us to try both Ze Maria (was a disaster in Palermo) and Cordoba in his position. Samuel is a great player, but even great players need some time to adapt to new surroundings. He was suspended for the first three Serie A matches which made the process of "adaptation" all the more difficult, but at the moment he's doing his job well for us.

Now that the backline is settled and conceding less goals , lets hope we don't lose any of the four starting defenders (Favalli - Samuel - Cordoba - Zanetti) for a long period of time like what happened with Il Capitano.

FORZA RAGAZZI Keep up the good work.
    Born Interista, will die Interista.

"I'd even play in goal just to play, but I don't want to create competition for Toldo... I'm prepared to play anywhere." Dejan Stankovic

Fav. Player
    LUIS FIGO

No doubt, we had it even before the summer. The addition of Samuel has further put a stronghold on this claim.
    ONLY ONE THING IS IMPORTANT--->
    FC INTERNAZIONALE MILANO 1908

Fav. Player
    il capitano,el

Now if we could just get a good left back, cause Favalli is getting too old, our defence would be perfect. Im thinking about Grosso from Palermo.
    1934, 1938, 1982......2006

Jimmy
    Well, Grosso would hardly contribute to a better defence. Favalli has emerged as one of my unsong heroes at Inter. Surely, no one notices him, but has he ever screwed up?

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Well, Grosso would hardly contribute to a better defence. Favalli has emerged as one of my unsong heroes at Inter. Surely, no one notices him, but has he ever screwed up?
    Yes, he actually did. Twice in the derby, once he failed to clear a ball that went right over his head and if not for Zanetti's block we would've conceded a goal. And there was this incident when he lost balance and fell down akwardly, but fortunately Zanetti (again) was there to save the day.

But yeah you're right, he's certainly playing better than he did last season particularly during fall 04. Eventhough the entire team struggled at the time, not just Beppe. Mancini was still getting to know his players, I presume...

Favalli's a decent player, who works his socks off. I appreciate what he's done for Inter. A real professional. Problem being he can't play two matches in the space of four days so we need to sign a younger player OR recall Potenza/Pasquale IF they're good enough for Inter.

cheers Jimmy.
    Born Interista, will die Interista.

"I'd even play in goal just to play, but I don't want to create competition for Toldo... I'm prepared to play anywhere." Dejan Stankovic

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy
    Bravo! Well said Jimbo. Great numbers The_Egyptian_Interista, I wanted to post them but I was too busy/lazy to count, thanks!
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    J.Cesar

Australia

10 years of FIF
    inter where thinking of getting Grosso or Oddo but favalii has been great for us this season and i dont think at the moment we need to get a new defender our defence is the 2nd best defence after juve but i still think the left side of the defence will have to be stronger!

Cheers
    Marcello

Fav. Player
    Milito

Hong Kong

81 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Yes I think Favalli is a decent player. Though he's not someone who would single-handedly change a match and become MOM, he has been very reliable. We need such players in the team. We just can't field 11 star plays (look at Real Madrid...)

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Favalli! Grosso is just better offensively so no thanx! We gotta wonder though if Favalli will still keep this form next season.

If you noticed though, earlier this season, we just crumbled everytime the opponent scored a goal.

Palermo ---> Once they scored the first goal of the match, we conceded twice more

Juventus ---> Again, once they scored, we struggled and they scored another time

Roma ---> See Palermo

After the Roma match, things got better, for sure.

Interesting stats, in 2005, we played 39 matches, keeping 23 clean sheets, but conceding 27 goals in 16 non-clean sheets matches (An average of 1.5). As I mentioned above, our defence is sometimes inconsistent. It would surely be better if the goals conceded are spreaded out evenly because if they are compiled in a few matches, we will hardly be able to win those matches when we concede lots of goals.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    J.Cesar

Australia

10 years of FIF
    yes there is no need for any defenders unless moratti brings in Terry or sumthin like that i wont talk anymore but at the moment favali is pritty much in form! and i like him cause his a italian who starts at inter

Fav. Player
    il capitano,el

I agree Favalli is a good, reliable defender. He has done well at Inter . But he is 35 I think, so he could get tired by playing every match, and we have only Wome for replacement, who didnt show why Moratti brought him this year.
    I think Favalli has only 1 or maximum 2 seasons left in the top form.
    Grosso is a young, very talented defender and he isnt expensive. In 2-3 years he could become one of the best LB in the world. And he is better offensively than Favalli.Thats why I think we should buy him next summer, cause he will be much cheaper than in 2-3 years.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Favalli is only 33, robson.

Well, Handoyo does bring up an excellent point. Whenever we start conceding goals in matches, we usually end up allowing the opponents to score a few at a go. Whilst this is no sure sign of a weak defence, it is something of an alarm bell with regards to the defence line's weak spot. We keep our composure when the defence keeps the goals out.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    LUIS FIGO

Favalli is good enough for me. I wanted Grosso but after seeing him get schooled by Figo, I think not.
    ONLY ONE THING IS IMPORTANT--->
    FC INTERNAZIONALE MILANO 1908

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Actually Favalli was the one who had the block in the derby if i am not mistaken..I was really impressed since it was in the middle of the field and he has been doing great covering the rest.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    JZ

Favalli is ok, nothing great. The point is if u compare him to Zambrotta or Maldini ... he just fades. And i dont think he does enough offensively.

I want Coco back

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    And why's that? What's Coco doing to deserve to come back? Of course Favalli is no Maldini or Zambrotta, he's still very solid.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    il capitano,el

I just checked, he is 33 indeed.
    But still, we should buy Grosso. The guy is pure talent, we must get him before Milan does. At least as a replacement for Favalli at first, and then gradually promote him as a starter. Wome is just not good enough, in case if Favalli gets injured.

Old name
    Khaled

Vatican

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Favalli is a great player,he has filled the LB void,he is great defensively and he also pushes forward which he has done better than last year,i wouldnt mind seeing him play out his career at inter.

Fav. Player
    Zenga, uno di n

Favalli is excellent. Too bad he played for Lazy-o when good ol' Hazardlav Gresko "took care" of our left flank.

Favalli is exaclty what we need. He still has few years left at th top level, so let's not be too hasty.
    Nella gioia e nel dolore, per l'Inter eterno amore
    "It's not murder, it's an act of faith..." -The Cardigans
    "I rigori li sbaglia solo chi ha il coraggio di tirarli" -Roberto Baggio
    Matrix come El Chino: un gol da 50 metri contro Empoli!

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by 1919
    Favalli is ok, nothing great. The point is if u compare him to Zambrotta or Maldini ... he just fades. And i dont think he does enough offensively.

I want Coco back
    Why would you take Coco back to Inter? At best, he's going to play half a season before he ends up on the surgical table for some obscure injury, with Inter footing the bills including that of post-surgery rehabilitation not excluding partying around Milano's nightclubs and his hotel fees for one night stands.

In short, no way.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B