Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Multimedia forum

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Han like i said, if soembody in Europe has very highupload speed and can run a dump it wont effect bandwidth..

Then we could create users with passwords and everybody would log in to a directory on the persons computer where anybody with the uplaod permission can upload new things.

Anyway thats a brief summary of ftp which im sure people already know how it works.

So if we cant find someone who has high uplaod speed, maybe we can run 2-3 ftp's on a normal connection.

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Cool.

When you said "maybe we can run 2-3 FTPs" on a normal connection does it mean that a person should only upload, using FTP, to just 2-3 persons?

My connection is supposedly the fastest there is in Singapore but I have honestly been disappointed so...But I have often reached upload speeds if around 100 kb/s when it comes to torrents.

I don't know if this applies to all but, speaking of "somebody in Europe has very high upload speed", I know that Enricos has a bandwidth limit of 10 GB per month. Does bandwidth limit exist in all of Europe, or for certain ISPs, or is Enricos just f*cked?

Maybe we should do an experiment, Helal. Just brief me through it when we meet on MSN.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

88 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    There isn't much difference between HTTP and FTP. It isn't about bandwidth, but the speed of transfer. FTP allows you to upload and download files more efficiently than standard HTTP through browser.

But if you want security over efficiency, then you better do it with HTTP. (I'd prefer security too if I were you)
    Dr. Marotta

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke12
    There isn't much difference between HTTP and FTP. It isn't about bandwidth, but the speed of transfer. FTP allows you to upload and download files more efficiently than standard HTTP through browser.

But if you want security over efficiency, then you better do it with HTTP. (I'd prefer security too if I were you)
    security will not be an issue at all.

We will not allow guests into the server, only users who we give a username and password too.

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

okay then, except for the 15 seconds delay for the authentication part, the transfering files part is pretty fast in ftp.

If you have an upload speed of 100kbps in average, I think around 5 people can be the maximum limit for each ftp host?
    Dr. Marotta

Indonesia

Good, good.

Another question on FTP. Say, I want to upload to 5 different persons simultaneously, at the same time. Is it necessary to have 5 different accounts/users or can we just use 1 account/user that can be used by many people at the same time?

Thanx.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

No, it isn't necessary. Every one can use the same username and password at the same time.
    Dr. Marotta

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasuke12
    No, it isn't necessary. Every one can use the same username and password at the same time.
    it would probably be better if you created usernames so you could keep tabs on everyone

Fav. Player
    Cordoba

Belgium

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by helal25
    it would probably be better if you created usernames so you could keep tabs on everyone
    For security reasons it would be better to give every user his own username and password.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Enricos
    For security reasons it would be better to give every user his own username and password.
    exactly, if u create only one then it could be distributed to anyone.

Fav. Player
    J.Cesar

Australia

10 years of FIF
    Hey what happend to Pulsar he has T1 aprrently

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

Well, you can keep track on their ip anyway. But of course having usernames would be easier, and it's not that many accounts needed to be made? Approximately 100 at this moment?
    Dr. Marotta

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

These are some quick facts regarding the soon-to-be opened Multimedia forum and answers to some of the questions that have been thrown about thus far -

• Utilizing HTTP for downloading files is essentially what most nave been doing, thus far (right-click Save File, etc.). FTP however, is a different thing altogether. Basically, an FTP program will be used to upload and download files from the server. FTP is the most common and the easiest method of transferring files to an online host.
    • The FTP bandwidth usage will only be calculated when data is being downloaded, not uploaded. Therefore, FTP accounts can be created for individual uploaders.
    Any other questions? Feel free to throw them about.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    J.Cesar

Australia

10 years of FIF
    Well that sounds pritty good..so we will need to dowload a diffrent program do dowload these files etc(milan-inter)?

Fav. Player
    Marotta
    Old name
    Wallace

Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by Marcello
    Well that sounds pritty good..so we will need to dowload a diffrent program do dowload these files etc(milan-inter)?
    No, there is a built in ftp program in Windows XP for upload. As for download you can just use IE and type in ftp://... and then type in your username and password.
    Dr. Marotta

Syria

10 years of FIF
    scratch FTP, we cant use it. There is no way, look @ how many downloaders we will have and there is no way we will get someone with a connection that is A) unlimited upload B) has gigs of speed.

I say we stick with mega upload.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

A very easy way to stop "leechers" and provide links to videos to certain members is to use the features on:

http://www.savefile.com/members/index.php

what you can do is, start up a project and give a common username and password to certain people who can upload word files containing the link to inter videos.

in the "project" is a subscribe feature where people can enter their email address and they receive an email everytime a new file is uploaded to the project.

so for example this is how it would work:

someone sets up an account on http://www.savefile.com/members/index.php and creates a new project the project is given a unique link like http://www.savefile.com/projects/39359241

(link does not work as it is an example)

the username and password is then given to people who usually provide links on here: handoyo, panxxx, edlaut etc etc

they are then able to upload to the project

the best thing to do is open a word (or notepad) document and put the link in it and then upload to the project (even on slow internet connections uploading a word document just containing a link will take a minute or so)

then the people who have access to the project can add members to the subscription feature by simply entering their email address

everytime someone uploads a new file, everyone who is on the subscription list receives an email with a file description and a link so they can see from this whether it interests them or not

they then click on the link and download the word file which will take a minute and then they have the link to the inter video which is hosted elsewhere (megaupload, yousendit etc)

they can then download it at their convenience as there is no rush due to no "leeching"

just a suggestion

Fav. Player
    JZ, REcoba, Cam

Durai gained membership in this forum didn't he? 1000 posts in 3 weeks!
    Take What's Yours......

Fav. Player
    J.Cesar

Australia

10 years of FIF
    hey but it is better if we do Upload FTP and download ftp because we only give the website or the direct links in the Mulitmedia fourms ..the othere ways like mega upload are not as good as i hare expiring ?tim ftp is a good way but can u get Unlimated Uploads? and will it cost?

Indonesia

Unfortunately, yes, Durai will gain that access if he reaches 1000.