Thread: Itís Time To Wake Up, Inter!

Fav. Player
    JZ, REcoba, Cam

Itís Time To Wake Up, Inter!

This article was written by Rohan Alvares on Goal.com. Thought I'd share it with you guys.

Itís Time To Wake Up, Inter!

It pierces my heart to admit it, but sadly itís true. I know I speak for all Inter fanatics like me when I say the following words: ďWe have gotten used to itĒ. You know what Iím referring to - Yes, the fact that we start out each season in fervent anticipation of winning something significant, only to end up having to Ďsettle for second placeí or something still lower.
    But donít get me wrong my fellow Interisti as well as football fans the world over, this article is not to seek sympathy. Rather, I want it to be a serious wake up call to a squad that represents one of the Worldís great football clubs. A squad, which once again hurts me to say, possesses all the tools needed to achieve success but lacks the most important tool of all-The Heart!

I know many of my fellow Inter brothers may point out factors like bad luck, refereeing decisions favouring Juventus and AC Milan and other so called Ďreasonsí for having to forever see the latter two hog the limelight. But letís ask ourselves- Are these really Ďreasonsí? Can we really say itís because of this that we havenít won the Scudetto since 1989? The answer is NO! Of course, we cannot, for if we actually believe that a few unlucky episodes have seen success elude us for so long then we are insulting the greatness of Inter Milan. Do we want to be seen as whiners, who always cry foul whenever we end up second best? A club like Inter Milan is no stranger to success, barring of course, the last decade and a half. So having known what itís like to win it all, we are only deceiving ourselves when we say that Juve and Milan have enjoyed the rub of the green in recent years which is why we have not been able to stand on top of the podium. A club of such prestige cannot and should not look for excuses, we have to look for genuine reasons as to why we are yet to return to our glory days. And I think we will get somewhere if we take a long hard look at OURSELVES.

Ever since the reign of Massimo Moratti began in 1995, it was hoped it would turn out to be the dawn of a new era in Interís history, akin to the one of his legendary father, Angelo. Instead, it has turned out to be nothing short of a never-ending nightmare. It is this continuous dismal run of ours that makes me wonder sometimes- Are the owner, the President, the manager and the players truly aware of the rich history they represent? I get the scary feeling that Moratti and company have gotten a little too used to the fact that each season starts out with promises and hopes but ends up in a cloud of smoke, it appears that theyíve almost accepted this to be Interís fate forever. Wake up each of you, itís not been 5 years or 10 years but 17 long, frustrating seasons without any reason to smile. This absolutely cannot do. Itís not just him that my anger and frustrations are directed towards but most of all to the manager and the players. In fact, the way this Scudetto campaign has unfolded sums it all up.

What really infuriated me was our lack of desire to shut up Luciano Moggi, the Juve director who suffers from serious verbal diarrhoea. Not once, not twice but on several occasions he declared that Roberto Manciniís side should be happy with acquiring second place. You would normally expect any team to hit back with gusto at such insinuations by doing its talking on the pitch. Itís hard for a Nerazzuro to say this but I know Milan would have given the appropriate reply. But Mancini and the players only seem to be content with Moggiís statements with the former even saying that second place would be satisfactory because it would be an improvement from last season. Reports have said that he was only demonstrating a sarcastic side of his own but I think the results speak for themselves. Inter were presented the perfect opportunity to silence Moggi in the recent Derby DíItalia. And when we should have played like a team possessed from the word go, we started out the match so tentatively, surrendering a huge psychological advantage to Juve who grew in confidence and went on to win thus giving Moggi even more reason to sneer. Mancini later attributed Interís sluggish start to the fact that they were under pressure to close the gap in the table. I donít possess his footballing brains but according to me, the chance to re-open the title race and Moggiís motivating words should have instead propelled Inter to take the game to Juve just as how Milan did it so successfully in October.

The last three weeks have gone so bad that even second place seems to be slipping from our grasp now. And you know you have further reason to worry when President Giacinto Facchetti, a WINNER in every sense of the word, says ĎInter have 12 points more than last season but Juventus are breaking every points record this seasoní. Mancio has never missed an opportunity to point out this fact as well. I would like to put forward this question to the two of them and to all of us whose hearts bleed for Inter, Should we be content just because we have improved with regards to our own performances, are we ever going to win anything like that? Last season, Juve finished 14 points ahead of us, check the table this year and you will find that the difference is the same. Which means though we may have raised the bar on our results, Juve have also stepped up their own performance levels. If we were to go by Facchettiís and Manciniís theory, we may have 5 points more the following season and so it wouldnít be a lie to say we have improved again. But Juve may do even better and will once again snatch the title. I hope youíll get my drift.

I want to conclude with the guys who hold the biggest responsibility-the players. I think the first thing the squad should be told loud and clear at the start of a new season is that ĎJUVENTUS AND MILAN ARE NOT GOING TO HAND YOU THE SCUDETTO ON A PLATTER, YOU WILL HAVE TO SLOG IT OUT TILL THE END TILL YOU HAVE EARNED ITí. Better yet it could be written in bold letters and printed on their training kits so that each day they are put through the paces, they will be reminded of this oh-so-important fact.
    One need not be a rocket scientist to see that there is no difference in terms of quality between the big three of Italy. But there is certainly a difference when it comes to desire where Iím sad to say we are clearly lagging behind. Itís almost satirical in a way because ideally a team that hasnít won for a while should have the greatest hunger to win. Instead itís the Bianconneri and the Rossoneri who have a desire that grows bigger by the season.
    Captain Javier Zanetti has been at the San Siro for the past decade-what has he got to show for it? One of the clubís loyal servants and the great player that he is, he deserves to take home some silverware before hanging up his boots. But it all depends on him and the rest of the team. Can they eliminate the DIFFERENCE IN DESIRE between them and their rivals? Only time will tell and I appeal to all Inter fans to hope and pray it happens SOONER rather than LATER.

Rohan Alvares

That highlited part is true. The should really put up those banners ASAP.
    Last edited by Inter101; 13 Mar 06 at 22:10.
    Take What's Yours......

Fav. Player
    JZ

it was a very nice article, very well written.

Adding to it, despite all the excuses we may come up with, we must not forget Roma and Lazio won the scudetto despite the odds being stacked against them.

If Roma and Lazio can do it, so should we.

Fav. Player
    Sergio Busquets

Europe

Yeah, very good article! Although I read it before in Goal.com and put a comment there. Inter have to pride for having a fan like this.

Fav. Player
    Milito

Hong Kong

81 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Sad but true. Some players simply can't do well at Inter. We had the likes of Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Roberto Carlos, Cannavaro, etc. All of them have won trophies after leaving us. We certainly have improved over the years - instead of ruining them, we have revived the career of Figo, Samuel, Veron, Cambiasso - but that's not enough. We need more CONSISTENCY.

I believe Mancini will be able to help us do this, but he still has a lot to learn. We don't want a coach who experiments formation in an away match against a difficult opponent, namely Palermo. We don't want a coach who signs players just because he has coached them before. Until he learns to be more mature, he is the kind of coaches that are close to winning but never win (another coach in this category is Cuper - has he ever won anything but runner-ups?) To succeed at Inter, a club with a great history but sad recent memories, a coach has to handle the pressure well and lead our players to overcome the psychological barrier.

However, rather than sacking Mancini and hiring a more capable one, I would love to see Mancini learn with us. Be more patient and give him some time. Ferguson didn't win the league instantly, but he's one of the best coaches in 90's. Man Utd might just be like Man City today if they weren't patient.

Unless we want to be like Chelsea, who achieved instant success but hired the most hated coach and became the most hated team, please don't hire new coaches. Not even Benitez, Eriksson, Capello. We need to develop some character. Then players will know how to win, not just a single match, but consistently throughout the season.

No one can say for sure whether Mancini will succeed or not. But I'm sure it's a very good bet. In Inter we trust.

FORZA INTER

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Excellent point, altdough mancini is no great coach, al least not for the moment, we just can't repeat the mistakes of the past. He must be given credit one more year and He Must, i repeat, He Must succeed. In the last years Inter has bought many players, all good players, champions, but MERCENARIES. They rarely played with their heart, and left Inter w/o many regrets. I especially like Adriano, because he seems to have the heart and the neccesary love for this club, i hope i'm not wrong. Also, the teams managerial staff must have an different attitude, They are the one's who should push the team forward, change the mentallity of the players and make them fight on the pitch on every f****** game. Only if they will manage that, and only if the players who will join Inter will understand that they Must win with this Inter, more than with any other club in the world, only then the things will finnaly turn for us. And there is one more thing the players should keep in mind: There are still thousends of Inter fans, in Italy and all over the world who support this team, altdough nothing important has been won in 17 years. 17 YEARS with no major trophy, with no scudetto, and still the true Inter fans are here, supporting this team; attracted by it like magic at the begginning of every season, altdough they suffered so many dissapointments for this team. Only for that, and the players should give their life on the pitch in every single game. I know that many of U have the same frustations as I, but I would really like to say that you, my fellow interisti, are maybe the greatest supportes a team could ever have, for still loving and supporting Inter after all those failures and fake hopes. The players should keep that in mind....

Fav. Player
    Chivu

Quote Originally Posted by Rain
    Excellent point, altdough mancini is no great coach, al least not for the moment, we just can't repeat the mistakes of the past. He must be given credit one more year and He Must, i repeat, He Must succeed. In the last years Inter has bought many players, all good players, champions, but MERCENARIES. They rarely played with their heart, and left Inter w/o many regrets. I especially like Adriano, because he seems to have the heart and the neccesary love for this club, i hope i'm not wrong. Also, the teams managerial staff must have an different attitude, They are the one's who should push the team forward, change the mentallity of the players and make them fight on the pitch on every f****** game. Only if they will manage that, and only if the players who will join Inter will understand that they Must win with this Inter, more than with any other club in the world, only then the things will finnaly turn for us. And there is one more thing the players should keep in mind: There are still thousends of Inter fans, in Italy and all over the world who support this team, altdough nothing important has been won in 17 years. 17 YEARS with no major trophy, with no scudetto, and still the true Inter fans are here, supporting this team; attracted by it like magic at the begginning of every season, altdough they suffered so many dissapointments for this team. Only for that, and the players should give their life on the pitch in every single game. I know that many of U have the same frustations as I, but I would really like to say that you, my fellow interisti, are maybe the greatest supportes a team could ever have, for still loving and supporting Inter after all those failures and fake hopes. The players should keep that in mind....
    Now that's how u're supposed 2 post! From now on that's how u gonna post! Good job, mate!

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti, Camb

Quote Originally Posted by Inter101
    What really infuriated me was our lack of desire to shut up Luciano Moggi, the Juve director who suffers from serious verbal diarrhoea. Not once, not twice but on several occasions he declared that Roberto Manciniís side should be happy with acquiring second place. You would normally expect any team to hit back with gusto at such insinuations by doing its talking on the pitch. Itís hard for a Nerazzuro to say this but I know Milan would have given the appropriate reply. But Mancini and the players only seem to be content with Moggiís statements with the former even saying that second place would be satisfactory because it would be an improvement from last season. Reports have said that he was only demonstrating a sarcastic side of his own but I think the results speak for themselves. Inter were presented the perfect opportunity to silence Moggi in the recent Derby DíItalia. And when we should have played like a team possessed from the word go, we started out the match so tentatively, surrendering a huge psychological advantage to Juve who grew in confidence and went on to win thus giving Moggi even more reason to sneer. Mancini later attributed Interís sluggish start to the fact that they were under pressure to close the gap in the table. I donít possess his footballing brains but according to me, the chance to re-open the title race and Moggiís motivating words should have instead propelled Inter to take the game to Juve just as how Milan did it so successfully in October.
    I disagree on this point. We don't have to talk shit (like Moggi does) to be succesful. We don't have to do what Juventus or Bilan do. This is why I like Mancio, he's such an intelligent guy. He knows how to answer all that shit.

It's a great article anyway. Of course some of our players lack of heart when playing. That happens when you spend your money without thinking. Now we want Henry or Ballack. IMHO we don't need these kind of players. We don't need Champions who have won almost everything. We need young people who is thirsty of some glory! Inter is such a great team but we are so scared of everything... we just can't keep this going.

Let's wake up!

good post.
    inter has many problems to handle,but we have to admit that the other reasons like referee.
    Forza inter!