Thread: Should UEFA return the 2nd group stage system to the Champions' League?

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti,

Should UEFA bring back the 2nd group stage system to the Champions' League?

I have always belived that the champions league got it's prestige from the 2nd group stage, the 2nd group stage gave us more fixtures between the bigger clubs in europe isn't that what everyone wants to see, in recent in years porto and liverpool have reached the final and they had mostly medicore players isn't the champions league losing it's prestige because of these teams winining the champions league with medicore players, will uefa do something about this?
    Last edited by Durai; 08 Apr 06 at 13:40.

Fav. Player
    Tomas Locatelli

Kuwait

19 10 years of FIF Forum Supporter
    That rule has many positive and negative points .

P:
    1. fans can enjoy more CL matches .
    2. It gives the teams more chances to qualify .
    3. It increases the chances of watching more big matches .
    4. More games , means more money .
    N :
    1. Players get tired .
    2. More injuries .
    3. Bigs clubs won't like it since they're fighting on two competitions ( CL and their national league ).
    4. According to 3. , Inter won't like it because they're fighting on CL , third place in Serie A and Coppa Italia .
    5. Ofcourse , less matches for the fans .
    Last edited by M.Adnan; 08 Apr 06 at 13:30.
    "Alla Juve non sono dei gentlemen, la mafia" Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    I thought that 2nd group stage was a real pain, what's fascinating about the CL is the knock-out rounds.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti,

Quote Originally Posted by Frisko
    I thought that 2nd group stage was a real pain, what's fascinating about the CL is the knock-out rounds.
    there are less fixtures inolving the big teams,

it's always sparta prague vs barcelona, arsenal vs thun, inter vs rangers and so on, when it should be

barcelona vs ac milan, inter vs man united, real madrid vs juventus and so on.

I agree, it brings some level of surprise to the competition.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti,

Quote Originally Posted by Pi
    I agree, it brings some level of surprise to the competition.
    in a few years the big clubs will start complaining and UEFA will have to put it in to place.

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

Yes it should, that would very much decrease the luck factor in the CL, and teams like Monaco, Liverpool or Arsenal wont make it to further rounds, just on the basis of pure luck or just picking up right form at the right time.

I think the best thing for Uefa to do would be to return to the second group stage, elimnate the Quater finals and go directly from the second round to semis, with only the teams that have come first in their group. That would seperate the men from boys, and would also mean that teams have to play only 2 more extra matches. Not bad is it??. And the best thing about it that teams like Liverpool wont get to be the 'so called champions'
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

I'm with you there..

If I had my way, I would bring back the old Champions Cup. Only the champions of each league should qualify, or maybe the runner up too.

The whole League thing is stupid...I mean what has a team like Villareal, that hasn't won anything their whole life lost in the Champions League semifinal??

If G14 wants to run a Super League or whatever, good luck to them. Football lives from Local rivalries. Milan-Barca, Inter-ManU, Arsenal-Juve etc. is only interesting once in a while. If you have it every year, it gets boring.
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghahbe of Turkey
    Wiltord had a better goalratio than Henry for France
    Wiltord 26 goals, 92 games
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti,

Quote Originally Posted by UhUhOleguer
    I'm with you there..

If I had my way, I would bring back the old Champions Cup. Only the champions of each league should qualify, or maybe the runner up too.

The whole League thing is stupid...I mean what has a team like Villareal, that hasn't won anything their whole life lost in the Champions League semifinal??

If G14 wants to run a Super League or whatever, good luck to them. Football lives from Local rivalries. Milan-Barca, Inter-ManU, Arsenal-Juve etc. is only interesting once in a while. If you have it every year, it gets boring.
    that would be boring and the other big clubs would have to fold or sell their stars, this would create a lot of problems beacuse football has grown in a certain way since the old champions cup.

Haiti

10 years of FIF
    For now, I like the Champions League the way it is. However, I can easily see clubs complaining about the 2nd group stage system to be brought back and UEFA ultimately bringing it back, because after all that'd put more money in their pockets.

Not really having a solid opinion on this, though. More rest for the players is a big plus in my book, though.
    Nulla impossibile per questa Inter

Spain

a big YES

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    I think so.That was better.So just a HUGE yes
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Teams WANT the 2nd group stage back! More home games of course

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti,

bring it back