Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gattuso swipes at Inter fans

Fav. Player
    Ayrton Senna

Finland

Gattuso swipes at Inter fans

Gattuso swipes at Inter fans

Milan midfielder Gennaro Gattuso slammed the fans of city rivals Internazionale for criticising their team too much.

The tough-tackling midfielder finds it hard to believe that Inter have not won the Serie A title since 1989, despite assembling a number of top quality squads in that period.

Gattuso says that the Nerazzurri's fans do not help matters as they are quick to criticise their side at the first sign of trouble.

The former Rangers man says they should follow Liverpool's loyal fans in backing their side, although he surprisingly took a swipe at England striker Michael Owen in the process.

"It sometimes seems incredible to me, because Inter always start the season with an amazing team and then something goes wrong," said Gattuso.

"If I look back at the 2001/02 season, I still find it hard to believe that they lost the top place in the last match at Stadio Olimpico against Lazio.

"That must be a nightmare for their fans.

"I believe the Inter fans get discouraged at the team's first bad performance. They suddenly think the season's already lost and they start to throw hard criticism towards the world's best strikers.

"Inter fans should learn from the Kop. Michael Owen hasn't done anything good for Liverpool in a year, but he still has Anfield supporting him 100 percent."

- Those words i highlighted, i agree with him 100%. One bad result or one missed opportunity and the hell breaks loose. We definitely should NOT criticize our team nor the players as much as we do.
    Peppino Prisco: "La gioia più grande? Scontata. Il Milan in B. E per ben due volte: una... a pagamento e una... gratis. Sono dell 'idea che una retrocessione cancelli almeno cinque scudetti conquistati e che la vittoria di una Mitropa Cup elimini i residui"

Peppino Prisco: "Io non rubo il campionato, e in Serie B non son mai stato"

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    It's very easy for him to say that because he's won something major in the last few years so he doesn't understand how have we felt. But yeah, I agree with him. We are definitely way too quick to crictisize our team. Ecspecially this season when all hopes seem to have gone right to the dust after only 2 games played, which we won btw albeit unconvincingly!!!

Handyo

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    It's very easy for him to say that because he's won something major in the last few years so he doesn't understand how have we felt. But yeah, I agree with him. We are definitely way too quick to crictisize our team. Ecspecially this season when all hopes seem to have gone right to the dust after only 2 games played, which we won btw albeit unconvincingly!!!

Handyo
    i also agree with him..he is very right...he is cool

Indonesia

10 years of FIF
    i kinda agree with Gattuso. we are always to quick to criticise our player for their bad performance. i was also quite surprised to see Gatusso praising the Liverpool's fans. but it's quite true though.
    Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.

Bahrain

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    There is alot of truth to what he is saying...Inter fans should sometimes step back and look at things after a while of thinking maybe.But maybe most of us are this way because we are extra passionate and extra anxious to get number 14.
    Ziyad Of Boston

Fav. Player
    Giacinto Facche

Man I hope I don’t sound ignorant, but I talked about how some of the Inter fans here on the forum can’t seem able to handle disappointment (I wonder if the post is still here?) & it’s slightly disappointing that “Mad man” Gatusso made you guys realize that now

Found it! Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:59 pm

Quote Originally Posted by MoH
    Most of you guys can’t handle disappointment, life is full of them so just deal with. I wouldn’t give a toss what position we are if we are to reach the finals of the UEFA cup. We still have a few games to go, we just finished 65% of the season. Winners never give up!
    * of himself*
    "There's another flare smoking in the box now...This referee is a clown" - Eurosport
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBacchus
    You know each year we say "Dream Attack" and then that becomes "Bad Attack".

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

OMG I cant believe I agree with Gattuso!
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

He is a genious... He hit one of the nerves!
    Juventus: 29 Scudetti

Inter: 13 Scudetti

And you guys agree with le midget?
    C'mon he's trying to stir things up.He's probably trying to persuade Bobo to leave after all....
    Its been a pleasure,
    Ciao,
    [ Recoba87 / Zaidriano / Sisedriano ]

Jimmy
    Whether I agree with him or not is irrelevant. I just find it difficult to take an article where he has supposedly said that Owen didn´t do anything for a year, seriously.

Owen didn´t do anything for a year, but I doubt Gattuso would come out and say that. :p

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Some of you are all too quick in agreeing with Gatusso without actually acknowledging the root of the problem. Before i go on, i must say that yes, i agree with Rino that the Interisti are often very fickle and pessimistic - and of course we all know that such an apparent lack of belief doesn't always help the team do any better on the pitch.

IMO, i don't think this club can really be compared with Liverpool. Whilst we do have our similarities, FC Inter has, over the last handful of years offerred much more promise than the Reds. Liverpool tries to build up their youth players whilst Inter goes a totally different approach. By bringing in established superstars like Ronaldo, Vieri, Toldo, Cannavaro and the like, the club has made it apparently clear that every season, we have a squad readily capable of taking home the league. Thus, with each passing season of abject failure, the fans turn more pessimistic that if a good squad, a good coach and even an injection of youth into the side cannot settle matters, nothing will. Thus, the fans are all too quick to lose hope; simply because the truth is, nothing is apparently good enough to hope for!

Also, you must take into account that this is the Italian Serie A. Unlike the much fairer EPL, the Serie A is riddled with corruption issues for many many years now. Inter has struggled against the tide of bribery and corruption scandals week in and week out but the fans, especially those living in Italia know better. They lose hope often because they know that even when they play well, there will be forces hiding in the shadows that will attempt to thwart our path.

This is but just a concise effort to chronicle the reasons why Interisti are often very pessimistic. A lot of us here try to keep the optimism alive, but all too often, i see most of us in a collective dump. And it is very contagious indeed. Don't just blame the fans for their lack of belief in the squad - we have given the club the best support all these years. The fact that we have been repaid with nothing allows us the luxury of pessimism. Nobody can deny us that, especially since the team hasn't really given us any hope of winning anything at all. After all, how can we keep up the faith when it's obvious this club needs more than just the fans' support - it needs a miracle?

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Fav. Player
    Oh I can't deci

Excellent post Tim.You have really analyzed and judged our situation well. I especially liked your closing sentence.
    TI AMO INTER

When I first saw the article's topic my first reaction was to blast Gattuso, but then as I read it I found myself agreeing with him. On the other hand, no one can blame us for the attutude we are displaying (even if it is the wrong attitude,) because it's uncomprehensable for us why this team is underachieving year in, year out especially when everybody aknowledge that this team is so good and able to bring success.
    Inter. Simple Irresistible!!!

Indonesia

All I can say, is that you have to experience it to feel it. He hasn't experienced our current status and thus, he should shut the hell up.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Giacinto Facche

I would like to think I’ve been an Inter fan before J. Zanetti was made captain, but during these years I think he has suffered to an extent I can never imagine! He has to go to training the next day and feel the wrath of the Manager, fans and the ugly media, while I sit at home and drown my sorrow between my girls laps ( ) Mind you, Moratti suffered more...He lost the money and the faith of the Inter fans, I wouldn’t know how to cope if Inter fans started calling me an idiot and not worthy to be a member of the Nerazzurri

So let me say this to you, if Inter wasn’t to win any trophy for the next century? Will it affect your love for the club? It shouldn't to be honest, & if this doesn’t really make any sense to you at all...I’m just mad in love with the club to even care
    "There's another flare smoking in the box now...This referee is a clown" - Eurosport
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBacchus
    You know each year we say "Dream Attack" and then that becomes "Bad Attack".

It wouldn't kill my love. I am bound to this shirt for who knows what reason, but I am dedicated, and Inter is my only team.

Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo
    All I can say, is that you have to experience it to feel it. He hasn't experienced our current status and thus, he should shut the hell up.

Handyo
    Yeah well he looks at the situation more objectively than any Inter fan. So he has something speaking for him there. Of course it is rude to come out with such delicate statements because he really hit a nerve.
    Juventus: 29 Scudetti

Inter: 13 Scudetti

Fav. Player
    Ayrton Senna

Finland

Quote Originally Posted by Gismo
    Of course it is rude to come out with such delicate statements because he really hit a nerve.
    Didn´t hit on my nerve, quite the opposite. I was glad he said that in public. I would have liked to swipe at Inter fans plenty of times too, "Not only physically, but mentally as well" (<- taken from fear factor ). At least after every match we played crappy or didnt win and the hell break loose. Even when Inter havent won anything in ages, their fans behave like spoiled kids. I guess Pazza Inter has infected almost all their fans as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MoH
    Mind you, Moratti suffered more...He lost the money and the faith of the Inter fans, I wouldn’t know how to cope if Inter fans started calling me an idiot and not worthy to be a member of the Nerazzurri
    Good point and i agree with you.

I dunno what i would say or do if i would be in Moratti´s shoes. It´s not an easy job to own a football club.
    Peppino Prisco: "La gioia più grande? Scontata. Il Milan in B. E per ben due volte: una... a pagamento e una... gratis. Sono dell 'idea che una retrocessione cancelli almeno cinque scudetti conquistati e che la vittoria di una Mitropa Cup elimini i residui"

Peppino Prisco: "Io non rubo il campionato, e in Serie B non son mai stato"

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Tommi
    I dunno what i would say or do if i would be in Moratti´s shoes. It´s not an easy job to own a football club.
    Especially if that football club happens to be FC Inter. It's true that the fan's haven't cut him some slack, but you must also realize that a lot of these fans have poured in a lot of their time, patience, love as well as money into the club. You do what you are allowed to do in your own capacity. As a normal fan, most of whom i believe are normal white collared working adults drawing a modest salary, i believe they do their own contributions to the club in the form of buying merchandise like jerseys and the like. Moratti has mega bucks, and therefore, he has the means to spend it like he has done. I'm not taking anything away from Moratti; it takes a brave man to throw so much money into a club for so many years and yet receive practically nothing in return.

I hope you can see what i am getting at.

Ciao,
    Tim
    MAI STATI IN B

Indonesia

Moratti is one hell of a Nerazzurri. He's one hell of a kind man who's willing to sacrifice millions of pounds for the good of Inter. But unfortunately, Moratti is incompetent when it comes to transfer.

Handyo