Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Derbies around the world

Derbies around the world

As Inter fans we are blessed with two big derbies: Derby d’italia and Derby della Madonnina. This thread is about all of the other interesting derbies of the world. Derbies have a very special feel to them no matter how big the clubs involved may be because they often are very intense and the fans often have an amazing hatred towards each other.

I am myself a dedicated FC Copenhagen fan and three times a year I am suffering through the biggest Danish derby of FC Copenhagen vs. Brondby. In April I went to Stockholm in Sweden with some mates to watch “AIK Solna” vs. “Djurgaarden” and I was definitely not disappointed. I started this thread to hear if anyone has got some stories of intense derbies outside of Italy.

In Stockholm (the capital of Sweden) three big clubs dominate: “AIK Solna”, “Djurgaarden” and “Hammarby”. I am definently not an expert on the Swedish clubs and Swedish football but this is what I was told (please correct me if I am wrong). AIK is a club from the suburbs of Stockholm while Hammarby and Djurgaarden are from central Stockholm. I know the following is generalizations on my part and I am not sure if it is totally true but I was told that AIK is sort of the trendy club and at the same time the lower class club while Hammarby is believed to be the working mans club and Djurgaarden is the club for the upper class kind of people.

The match between AIK-Djurgaarden is one of the biggest local derbies in Scandinavia. I was told that the Swedes call it “the derby of hatred” and it was clear that the fans really hated each other. The two clubs have some of the largest fan groups in Scandinavia and I was told that AIK Solna also have some pretty aggressive fans and this was confirmed when we after the match celebrated the victory with them (AIK won it deservingly 3-1).

In Sweden the season starts in April as opposed to most of the other leagues in Europe which starts in august/September. Two seasons ago AIK had a horrible season and ended up getting relegated. After one season AIK got back into the Allsvenskan (Swedish premier league) and this was their first derby match against Djurgaarden since AIK got relegated so you can imagine how fired up the players and fans was for this match. The match was played at Swedens national stadion which is also the home pitch of AIK. 34.417 people attended the game which is almost a filled stadium. I am sure the attendance would have been greater if the stadium capacity had been larger.

I must say that I was very impressed with both fan groups. I was rooting for Djurgaarden throughout the game but we were standing very close to the AIK fans and they were very loud and it was hard not to get sucked in to their chanting. While AIK was playing in the second best league in Sweden, Djurgaarden won the championship and the fans of Djurgaarden started the match with a banner saying “Where were you while we were getting high?” which kind of cracked me up. The stand with the AIK supporters can hold about 8000 people and it was filled with aggressive constantly singing fans but the Djurgaarden stand was also filled and looked very lively. We couldn’t hear the Djurgaarden fans though because we were to close to the AIK stand.

All in all it was a great experience and also great because we didn’t really have anything at stake so we could relax and enjoy the atmosphere. I am sorry to say that I have never experienced any of the Inter derbies but I have plans to change that next season if I can convince my friends. Other than that I would love to experience the derbies Boca Juniors-River plate, Dortmund-Schalke, Liverpool-Everton, galatasaray-fenerbache or Glasgow Rangers-Celtic and maybe Sevilla-Betis.

Spain

The most hot i know is Betis-Sevilla.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

Try in Tehran Perspolis - Esteghlal

110000 people packed in a stadium, fights before, between and after the game, busses burning, players beating each other up, about 4-5 games in history cancelled, because either players were beating each other up, fans ran on the field or whatever else, and of course a 6-0 thrashing of Esteghlal by Perspolis in 1974 or something, Perspolis fans still sing about.

It has cooled down a bit in the past, but this derby is still among the biggest worldwide, and I believe the biggest in Asia.
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghahbe of Turkey
    Wiltord had a better goalratio than Henry for France
    Wiltord 26 goals, 92 games
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

U have some pics?

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

Quote Originally Posted by Djorkaeff
    U have some pics?

Tehran derby?? Not really..but I will try to find some online.
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghahbe of Turkey
    Wiltord had a better goalratio than Henry for France
    Wiltord 26 goals, 92 games
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Fav. Player

Canada

The Celtic-Rangers derby is pretty facked up too especially because it has to do with religion which drives them mad. But I don't know, I never really feel any other derby besides of course the Inter derbies and the Roman derby.

I just don't feel the intensity in the other derbies because I don't feel the rivalry between the 2 clubs, I don't feel I'm a part of a it.
    ████████████████████████████████████

*18* VERO

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    Yeh the Rangers - Celtic ones can be a fair bit mad.. I only feel that through my families sheer hate of Celtic though..
    Juve - ladri colpevolia per sempre
    Una volta un ladro sempre un ladro

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UhUhOleguer
    Fights before, between and after the game, busses burning, players beating each other up, about 4-5 games in history cancelled, because either players were beating each other up, fans ran on the field or whatever else.

It has cooled down a bit in the past, but this derby is still among the biggest worldwide, and I believe the biggest in Asia.
    Rrr...Pretty confident that the fans of my local team in Indonesia do all those things regardless who they play or how their team play. It's like, a cheap excuse to get violent.

Now to the questions itself, can't believe that Boca Juniors - River Plate hasn't been mentioned! (Except in a short bit in the first post)

Just a question btw, these fans hate each other so much but when it comes to supporting their nation, can they really bury the hatchet temporarily, get united and cheer their country in unison?

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Stankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Katiey86
    Yeh the Rangers - Celtic ones can be a fair bit mad.. I only feel that through my families sheer hate of Celtic though..
    Yeah this is one of the best darbies ever. CELTIC and rangers fans hate each other so much, but like Mike says its got loads to do with catholics v protestants but maybe not so much now. I think this has got to be one of the best and ive been outside Park Head (Celtics ground) before the 'old firm darby' and cant explain what the atmosphere is like just before the game when all the fans are going into the stadium. There is like all this expectancy in the air which makes it so sepcial. Inside has got to be even better and with 60,000 fans singing 'youll never walk alone' is makes all the hairs on you neck stand up. Its awsome

Celtic-Rangers
    Olimp.-Panat.
    Fener.-Galata.
    Roma-Lazio
    RedStar-Partizan
    Milan-Inter

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Have you guys ever heard a couple of teams called Real Madrid and Barcelona? They have El Classico D'Espagna

(no one mentioned it)

Fav. Player
    Materazzi, Stan

Australia

with the rangers-celtic derby,
    do the celtic fans consider themselves irish?, with all the green and symbols ext... is this true, or not, becasue it seems kind of wierd.

boca, and river hate eachother. boca are traditionally left wing, and have more support. River plate are right wing, conservative.

another big derby, is flamengo vs vasco de gama. very violent derby. flamengo have the biggest fan base in brazil.

other derbys include: Fenerbahce - Galatasaray, Palmeiras - Corinthians, Wydad - Raja, Benfica - Sporting Lisbon

this website, is the ultimate source for derbies:
    http://www.footballderbies.com/

has info on everything like fans, culture, politics, stadiums
    hal says:
    but u should see the curves ive formed on the stomach i love touching myslef
    hal says:
    there i said it.

Fav. Player
    Stankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Yuko
    Have you guys ever heard a couple of teams called Real Madrid and Barcelona? They have El Classico D'Espagna

(no one mentioned it)
    Thats not a darby. They gotta come from the same city

Pabs, alot of Celtic fans have irish roots (like me) but you dont have to be irish to support them. Even though they are a scottish club, at Parkhead you seen many, many more irish flags than scottish flags. They also sing some irish songs like the 'fields of athenriey'. And in Glasgow there are alot of Irish Celtic supporters clubs and bars

In England we have three main darbies. In north London Spurs v Arsenal, and man utd v man city and liverpool v everton. Although they are still important other fixtures carry more importance like utd v arsenal, and now liverpool v chelsea.

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    And for the record, Pablo..

Celtic suck donkey dick

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    Stankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Katiey86
    And for the record, Pablo..

Celtic suck donkey dick
    You and your anti celtic thing

Pabs dont listen to K i think she is a bit crazy. Make celtic your fav scottish team. Rangers are a complete farse and celtic have players like nakamura, and they just bought Jarosik from chelsea. the blue noses are gonna get a hell of a beating next year, and if someone offers them third place now, they should bite there hand off, cos hearts are gonna come second again.

Hibs v hears is another 'big' darby is scotland, but nowhere near as big as celtic v 'gers

Fav. Player
    CN69

Italy

10 years of FIF
    Celtic is comprised of Irish people, therefore i'm right and Celtic take it up the ass.

Blue order

Pablo knows i'm right and you're gay anyway Cozzi

Liberta' per gli ultras

No al calcio moderno

Fav. Player
    Materazzi, Stan

Australia

yep lol,
    i hate celtic, and have a thing for rangers lol, long story
    i just can't comrahend the fact that people who live and born in scotland, can support ireland, who are their bitter enemy's.

another violent derby i heard of was. milwal vs everton i think. apparently lots of fight and blood shed.

and cozzi, derbies don't have to be local, i thought you's know that, but then again your gay
    hal says:
    but u should see the curves ive formed on the stomach i love touching myslef
    hal says:
    there i said it.

Millwall-West Ham

Fav. Player
    Sergio Aguero!

Macedonia

10 years of FIF
    Red Star-Partizan
    Milan-Inter

And for me Inter-Juve
    "This wonderful night will give us the colours for our crest: black and blue against a backdrop of gold stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Derby d'Italia, why the rivalry?
    My message to JuBe cunts

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Greece

83 10 years of FIF
    A friend that studies in Italy has told me that the derbies Sampdoria-Genoa are very hot.
    INTER PER SEMPRE!

RUBE MERDA