View Poll Results: Who was your surprise team (either positively or negatively)?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ghana

6 28.57%
  • Cte d'Ivoire

0 0%
  • Ukraine

0 0%
  • Australia

7 33.33%
  • France

2 9.52%
  • Spain

1 4.76%
  • Ecuador

1 4.76%
  • Czech Republic

3 14.29%
  • Serbia and Montenegro

1 4.76%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WC 2006: Biggest Surprise

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF

WC 2006: Biggest Surprise

Almost all the big teams managed to progress this time around. Apart from the Czechs, all major team went through to the 2nd phase.

In my view, France is the biggest surprise. Despite their tradition, most of us thought they were screwed after the first 2 games, and here they are now in the quarter finals, with a genuine chance against a non-convincing Brasil.

Ukraine would be an obvious choice but their opposition was quite weak.

What do you think?
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

I think you are right about France and Ukraine, for me Switzerland deserved to be on the quater-finals, but football isn't always fair.

Ghana and Switzerland also surprised me, I'm waiting for the next Euro and World Cup to see what this young Swiss team can do. Ghana had a lot of fighting spirit and they played good against Brazil, actually they only had a bad game and it was the first.

Germany had great performances, perhaps for playing at home, however they look really strong.

Serbia and Montenegro was also a surprise but a bad one, they lost all their games and ended as the worst defence (I Think) of this World Cup. Sweden disappointed me a bit also.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

To me the big surprise was Spain, I really believed they had it in them to go dar in the tournament...

Fabio
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano &am

France, Ghana, Australia
    "I thought Biggie had a different way of putting words together. He was different"

Big Daddy Kane
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghahbe of Turkey
    Wiltord had a better goalratio than Henry for France
    Wiltord 26 goals, 92 games
    Henry 43 goals, 96 games

Fav. Player
    Il Principe Mil

Spain was hardly a suprise, they've been underacheiving for many years now.

I'd definetley say I wouldn't imagine ukraine being in the final 8, however switzerland vs. ukraine was the worst match of all time and the only good opposition Ukraine faced crushed them 4-0. I'd say Ghana was a pleasant suprise. They may have lost 3-0 to brazil but they played great. If they weren't horrible finishers they would've gave brazil quite the challenge.

Biggest suprise of the world cup, England making it to the final 8. I thought they were going out in the group stage.

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti, Camb

Frisko... Brasil will only play great at the final, in Berlin What for would they show their best when the have it so easy so far?

BTW, I was surprised by two african teams. Cote d' Ivoire and Ghana played great matches. Especially Ghana, of course. They played a great match against Czech and that's something I didn't expect at all.

Fav. Player
    Stankovic

Quote Originally Posted by Fratelli d'Italia
    To me the big surprise was Spain, I really believed they had it in them to go dar in the tournament...

Fabio
    Fabio, i dont think Spain going out early again is a surprise. They always look like there going to go far but they never do. It would be more of a surprise to me if they ever go further than the QF.

All the other team people mention are surprises, but i was dissapointed by all Eastern Europe countries - Poland, Czech Rep, S&M. They all should have done much better, especially Poland and i think their GK Arthur Boruc was in the top 3 GK in the WC.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

True, but I guess I made the mistake of believing they could go far...

Fabio
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

For me the biggest surprise is Czech republic. I believed they get 0 points in their group...
    Some people were against a female name as my nick. Strange, don't you think?

But no, I did not left only because of it. Don't worry, there is a brand new superhero who will save everyone. I just have mental issues and I am freaking disgusting.

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    Ghana i knew that they were stong but i did not espect them to proceed and not to play such a good football i mean they played great in all of thei re matches apart from the finising and somtimes a stupid mistake in the defense.
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Croatia

41 10 years of FIF
    ghana...
    "If we win I will be the first to leave the pitch. If we lose, I will be the last. I'm no masochist, but the difficult moments don't scare me."

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

I think Ivory Coast were better than Ghana, apart from their finishing, they created so many chances in all games and just couldn't take them. Also they were terribly unlucky with the draw, a slightly easier group would have seen them through.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player

Canada

Biggest suprise: Ghana who made it out of a group with a teams ranked light years ahead of them.

Not suprising: Spain not making it to the last 8, Brazil easing their way through all their games.
    ████████████████████████████████████

*18* VERO

Fav. Player
    Santigol

definetely England....

Fav. Player

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by catanha
    definetely England....
    On a negative side or a positive side? I thought England was going to be much better than this...

*18* VERO

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Mike
    On a negative side or a positive side? I thought England was going to be much better than this...
    Lol wake up Mike!

How about adding a poll mods? I asked Hamed but he probably couldn't do it...
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player

Canada

lol but knowing catanha he'd say something like "im suprised England made it this far"

*18* VERO

Haiti

10 years of FIF
    Surprising: As a follower of both CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, I've watched Ecuador and never thought they could string such positive results so they are obviously my choice here.

Not surprising: Czech Republic's defeat to Ghana and Spain getting kicked out early. However, they were quite unlucky to meet this French side that I think has been catching too much heat from the media so early in the knock-out stage.
    Nulla impossibile per questa Inter

Fav. Player

Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Gatan
    Not surprising: Czech Republic's defeat to Ghana.
    So before the tournament had started, you would've put money on Ghana to be the Czechs?

*18* VERO

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Done Frisko and sorry for it being late.

It was the first time I make a poll, and I learned how to do one just for you! It wasn't that hard but I guess I was just lazy.

Anyway, for me, it's Australia. I really thought they will be killed in the tough group, but they proved me wrong. They played like men, with spirit and were un-done in a dramatic way.

Respect!