Thread: Toldo retires from NT

Toldo retires from NT

TOLDO: "JUST INTER NOW"
    Thursday, 24 June 2004 16:31:34
    MILAN - "I was hoping to finish off with a great victory, but the disappointment of how it went in Portugal cannot cancel out eleven beautiful and intense years with the Azzurri - an unforgettable experience."

Francesco Toldo confirmed his international retirement which he announced to journalists during the Italian national team's flight back from Lisbon to Milan.

"I will dedicate myself to Inter only," said the custodian in a telephone interview. "It's a decision I made before the European Championship because I absolutely didn't want to put personal matters before the interests of the squad.

"But I'm thirty-three and it's right to give the new generations a chance. I would have liked to have left the national team after a success at the European Championship, but now it wouldn't be right to change my mind after having made a precise choice.

"I thank everybody - the managers, coaches and my teammates for the experiences I have had in these eleven years with the Azzurri shirt, both at youth- and first-team levels.

"I leave with one certainly. Italy is in good hands because Buffon has confirmed he's an excellent goalkeeper and a genuine colleague. Now I'll have a holiday, spend time with my family and have a rest.

"And after that, just Inter."

Fav. Player
    Adriano - #10

He wasn't considered the starter anywayz and its best for Inter since he won't have to leave just to sit on the bench and come back to the team tired from jet-lag...

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Yes,I agree!

FORZA TOLDO
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Fav. Player
    Kovacic

Israel

10 years of FIF
    Forza Toldone

I'm pleased a great player is willing to dedicate himself to Inter ,and only to Inter .

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    TOLDONEEE!!!

This is a good decision by him for Inter IMO. Even though he was hardly a starter for Italia, he always got called up. Because of that, he has to leave Appiano Gentile to join the Azzurri squad. Now, he can stay and train with the team instead of going to the Azzurri camp, train there but never starts.

Handyo

Fav. Player
    Giacinto Facche

Re: Toldo retires from NT

"I would have liked to have left the national team after a success at the European Championship"

It pains me to read that line, same feeling I had when Maldini retired...I hate it when famous players retire empty handed.
    "There's another flare smoking in the box now...This referee is a clown" - Eurosport
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBacchus
    You know each year we say "Dream Attack" and then that becomes "Bad Attack".

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Re: Toldo retires from NT

Quote Originally Posted by MoH
    "I would have liked to have left the national team after a success at the European Championship"

It pains me to read that line, same feeling I had when Maldini retired...I hate it when famous players retire empty handed.
    No because we all know we will win Serie A,Champions League and Coppa Italia this year for Toldo!
    "Cuore, Testa, Muscoli.. Da anni sognavamo un Gruppo cosi!!!
    Forza Ragazzi
    Nessuno escluso"

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Greece

83 10 years of FIF
    Toldo made the right decision!It's not good for a keeper of his level
    to be on the bench!

Now he can concentrate on Inter!
    INTER PER SEMPRE!

RUBE MERDA

he shouldnt be on the bench if he is playing for Latvia. But when he is a sub to Buffon then he can do nothing. Toldo may dream to reach Buffon's level now.

Well i disagree with the concept he said that he should have retired after the euro 2000, but when i think of it. He was 3rd choice and he was never gonna be 1st place again after Buffon retires, so i think he should have retired though.

I disagree with Maldini's decision. He should have continued.
    Sveglia Ragazzi...Bilan e Rubentus non sono così stellari.

Our time will come, with or without your approval!

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Good decision by toldo.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com