Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Milan out of Champions League, again?

Syria

10 years of FIF

Milan out of Champions League, again?

Milan Champs Lge participation in the balance

AC Milan's participation in the Champions League will be under discussion when UEFA hold an emergency panel meeting on Thursday morning.

European football's governing body have confirmed that the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) have entered AC Milan to be the country's representatives at the third qualifying round of the Champions League.

On Tuesday evening an appeal court decided that Milan's 44-point deduction from their total last season should be reduced to 30 points, allowing the club a chance to qualify for the group stage of Europe's elite competition.

Milan, along with Juventus, Fiorentina and Lazio, were sanctioned following a sports court trial into attempted match-fixing in Italy.

However, UEFA could yet prevent Milan from participating in the competition, and a meeting chaired by the Union's president Lennart Johansson and attended by senior UEFA officials will focus on the Italian situation.

'There will be an emergency panel meeting, which will be attended by the UEFA president on Thursday morning, and it will specifically look at the Italian teams entered for UEFA's competitions for the coming season,' a UEFA spokesman told PA Sport.

Earlier, UEFA's head of communications William Gaillard pointed out that there has been a precedent for the Union preventing a club from playing in their competitions.

Marseille, who beat Milan in the Champions League final in 1993, were denied the chance to defend their trophy after being found guilty of match-fixing in their domestic league.

Gaillard said: 'Who plays in the European competitions will be up to the (UEFA) committee.

'In the past the committee have made exceptions (by preventing clubs from taking part in European competitions). Marseille were one case in 1993.'

Now latest reports have said it will take a week and the result will be out on the 1st of August. C'mon Uefa, make it a sweet day.

Fav. Player
    Cambiasso

Quote Originally Posted by h1-
    Milan Champs Lge participation in the balance

AC Milan's participation in the Champions League will be under discussion when UEFA hold an emergency panel meeting on Thursday morning.

European football's governing body have confirmed that the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) have entered AC Milan to be the country's representatives at the third qualifying round of the Champions League.

On Tuesday evening an appeal court decided that Milan's 44-point deduction from their total last season should be reduced to 30 points, allowing the club a chance to qualify for the group stage of Europe's elite competition.

Milan, along with Juventus, Fiorentina and Lazio, were sanctioned following a sports court trial into attempted match-fixing in Italy.

However, UEFA could yet prevent Milan from participating in the competition, and a meeting chaired by the Union's president Lennart Johansson and attended by senior UEFA officials will focus on the Italian situation.

'There will be an emergency panel meeting, which will be attended by the UEFA president on Thursday morning, and it will specifically look at the Italian teams entered for UEFA's competitions for the coming season,' a UEFA spokesman told PA Sport.

Earlier, UEFA's head of communications William Gaillard pointed out that there has been a precedent for the Union preventing a club from playing in their competitions.

Marseille, who beat Milan in the Champions League final in 1993, were denied the chance to defend their trophy after being found guilty of match-fixing in their domestic league.

Gaillard said: 'Who plays in the European competitions will be up to the (UEFA) committee.

'In the past the committee have made exceptions (by preventing clubs from taking part in European competitions). Marseille were one case in 1993.'

Now latest reports have said it will take a week and the result will be out on the 1st of August. C'mon Uefa, make it a sweet day.
    yeah hope they make a good decision by boy letting them in champions league
    For the weakest of the weak
    For the lowest of the low
    My voice for the voiceless
    My fists for the innocent

Indonesia

32 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF Most Important Member
    • UEFA delay Milan decision
      Thursday 27 July, 2006
      Milan will have to wait until August 2 to find out whether they will be eligible for next season’s Champions League, UEFA have confirmed.

European football’s governing body held an emergency meeting on Thursday to discuss the Rossoneri’s proposed entry after the Calciopoli verdicts.

Although the Italian Football Federation have informed UEFA that Milan should be admitted, UEFA are considering their options on ethical grounds.

As a result, Milan will be included in Friday’s preliminary round draw but only on a provisional basis until the panel meet again next week.

"As far as the position of Milan is concerned, the Panel took note of a report submitted by the UEFA Chief Disciplinary Inspector on the question whether it would be appropriate, due to the particular circumstances, to admit Milan to the 2006-07 UEFA club competitions," a UEFA statement read.

"Following this report, the Emergency Panel has decided to further examine whether to admit Milan to the 2006-07 UEFA club competitions.

“Milan and the FIGC will have the possibility to submit their observations in this respect to UEFA.

"No decision has been made with regards to hypothetical replacement should Milan be excluded. Such a decision would be made by the Emergency Panel on August 2 as well."

Milan, six-times European champions, automatically won entry to the group stages of the competition after finishing second in Serie A during 2005-06.

However, they have since been deducted 30 points from last term’s tally which relegated them to third in the standings.

As it stands, Inter, Roma, Milan and Chievo have been submitted to the Champions League by the FIGC. Palermo, Livorno and Parma are in UEFA Cup contention.

(channel4)
    So Wednesday...I very much doubt that Milan will be excluded though. UEFA will want their competition to be as attractive as possible so as to make it more marketable and Milan is definitely a bigger club than Palermo.

Haiti

10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Handoyo

So Wednesday...I very much doubt that Milan will be excluded though. UEFA will want their competition to be as attractive as possible so as to make it more marketable and Milan is definitely a bigger club than Palermo.
    I'm pretty sure Milanisti aren't losing any sleep over this. I mean, UEFA will only be looking out for themselves at the end and give them a little slap on the wrist. After all, they are much stronger and appealing to the public then Palermo are.

This meeting is purely an administrative formality and to portray an image that UEFA cares.
    Nulla č impossibile per questa Inter

Fav. Player
    Cambiasso

Quote Originally Posted by Gaėtan
    I'm pretty sure Milanisti aren't losing any sleep over this. I mean, UEFA will only be looking out for themselves at the end and give them a little slap on the wrist. After all, they are much stronger and appealing to the public then Palermo are.

This meeting is purely an administrative formality and to portray an image that UEFA cares.
    yeah it might also affest their transfer targets and i wonder what happened to gallas who was supposed to be in milan
    For the weakest of the weak
    For the lowest of the low
    My voice for the voiceless
    My fists for the innocent

Fav. Player
    Pupi

Mozambique

I hope UEFA notices the curroption in Italy and replaces Milan

Fav. Player
    Maicon, Zanetti

Quote Originally Posted by yavinesh
    yeah it might also affest their transfer targets and i wonder what happened to gallas who was supposed to be in milan
    Gallas bitc*hed and cried, about Matrix and Italy after the final loss. He signed a new contarct with Chelsea 3 or 4 days after the finals, he would have probably been booed at his arrival in Italy.

And on Milan, I have to agree with Han. Marketing wise Milan are much more bigger than Palermo and Uefa will allow them to play in CL, just like FIGC allowed them to enter in to the CL. Damn the benifits you get of being a big club
    CAMPIONE D' ITALIA 2008-2009.

Syria

10 years of FIF
    UEFA set to decide Milan's Champions League fate

LONDON, July 31 (Reuters) - UEFA will announce on Wednesday at 1200 GMT whether to allow AC Milan to participate in this season's Champions League, it said on Monday.

Milan will face Cork City of Ireland or former champions Red Star Belgrade in the third qualifying round if UEFA decides they can play in Europe's premier club competition.

The six-times European champions were found guilty in the Serie A match-fixing probe but an Italian soccer appeals court adjudicating in the scandal reduced their initial punishment.

Milan, initially deducted 15 points, had the deficit cut to eight which enabled them to be included in last Friday's Champions League draw.

However, UEFA reserved the right to decide whether they could take up their place in the competition.

European soccer's governing body said on its Web site on Monday that it had 'invited Milan and the Italian Football Federation to submit observations on the matter after last Thursday's meeting of the Emergency Panel'.

The panel will decide 'after a detailed study of the matter, including analysis of any further information received'.

I expect this decision to be a farce, much like if you had murdered someone in the United States, but you were male, rich, and white.

-Jesse
    Vinceremo Insieme

Fav. Player
    Fabio Grosso

I hope Milan arent allowed to play in the CL, (Not just because I hate them!) though I agree with you guys that its pretty likely that they will.
    If a team has been judged to be cheating I dont think they should be rewarded with a place in the CL (espicially when Fiorentina wont be playing in it for the same reason)
    But as many of you have said Milan are a much bigger club than Palermo and therefore a better draw for the competition, so uefa will be likely to let them in.

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

They promised to announce it today - 12:00 GMT. It is 14:24 and still nothing...
    Some people were against a female name as my nick. Strange, don't you think?

But no, I did not left only because of it. Don't worry, there is a brand new superhero who will save everyone. I just have mental issues and I am freaking disgusting.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

If I am not mistaken, 12GMT has already passed by. I read elsewhere (UEFA.com) that it would be out at 14CET, but I don't know when that is!

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Quote Originally Posted by Hamed
    If I am not mistaken, 12GMT has already passed by. I read elsewhere (UEFA.com) that it would be out at 14CET, but I don't know when that is!
    12, 14 CET... both passed and still nothing...

But no, I did not left only because of it. Don't worry, there is a brand new superhero who will save everyone. I just have mental issues and I am freaking disgusting.

Jimmy
    They are allowed to play in the Champions League. No surprise there.

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Great.

I hope some teams sue UEFA for allowing them and the CL starts in October.

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Again no punishment for bbilan??? They are allowed to play Seire A and CL. I wished Berlusconi's position in European football failed but as I can see it is impossible...

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Its all about which club that can generate the most money for UEFA! What a pity…

AC Milan get UEFA green light to play in Champions League
    LONDON, Aug 2 (Reuters) - AC Milan have been given the go-ahead to take part in this season's Champions League, UEFA announced on Wednesday.
    Milan will face Cork City of Ireland or former champions Red Star Belgrade in the third qualifying round next week after UEFA's emergency panel decided they could play in Europe's premier club competition.
    The six-times European champions were found guilty in the Serie A match-fixing probe but an Italian soccer appeals court adjudicating in the scandal reduced their initial punishment.
    Milan, initially deducted 15 points, had the deficit cut to eight which enabled them to be included in last Friday's Champions League draw.
    Noi non siamo gobbi ba$tardi

"In un mondo di puttane e oportunisti noi avevamo scelto la migliore; Addio Traditore!"

R.I.P Cipe

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

uefa.com:

Milan admitted by Emergency Panel

UEFA's Emergency Panel has admitted AC Milan to the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round. Consequently, the Italian club will play against either FK Crvena Zvezda or Cork City FC as per the draw made last Friday at UEFA headquarters in Nyon.

UEFA statement
    A UEFA statement issued on Wednesday read as follows:

"Having examined the request of the Italian Football Association (FIGC) to register AC Milan for the UEFA Champions League 2006/07, the submissions of the Chief Disciplinary Inspector of UEFA, and the statements of AC Milan and the FIGC, the UEFA Emergency Panel has today admitted AC Milan to participate in the third qualifying round of the 2006/07 UEFA Champions League. As a result, the Italian club plays the two legs of the competition's third qualifying round as drawn on 28 July 2006 in Nyon.

"The UEFA Emergency Panel, being competent to decide on this matter, came to the conclusion that it had no choice but to admit AC Milan for the UEFA club competitions 2006/07 for formal reasons because of an insufficient legal basis in the regulations which would allow not admitting AC Milan under the specific circumstances.

"The UEFA Emergency Panel made a clear statement to the club that 'this admission is far from being given with the utmost conviction. AC Milan takes advantage of the fact that UEFA lacks legal grounds to refuse the club's admission. In this respect, AC Milan is herewith informed that the necessary adaptations will be made to the Regulations concerned. The UEFA Emergency Panel is deeply concerned that AC Milan has created the impression of being involved in the improper influencing of the regular course of matches in the Italian football championship.'

"From the statement of AC Milan, the Panel concluded that 'the club has obviously not yet properly perceived the troubles it is in and the damage it already caused to European football. UEFA and the club's opponents will observe with the utmost attention the future attitude of AC Milan around UEFA club competition fixtures. UEFA will not hesitate to intervene severely, should AC Milan be involved in any activities aiming to arrange improperly the outcome of a match.'"

I expected more from Uefa, after their talks for a cleaner and racism free football, in my view Milan was found guilty (- 8 points), if they were to be found innocent there wouldn't have been any punishment. So how can Uefa admit a team that was found guilty of corruption?

What message will this send to the football World? Also I really want to see if Uefa will react the same way if any smaller team does something like this.
    Last edited by Pi; 02 Aug 06 at 14:08.

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF
    We knew it was going to happen, but again another major blow to Milan's reputation.

This is the official UEFA statement, the parts underlined are signature material guys, this is stuff that must be kept and thrown in those bastard's faces at will:

22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion