Thread: European ice-hockey

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

European ice-hockey

This should be a place where we will discuss everything about European leagues.

Finland

Last year's champion HPK Hämeenlinna will face Sparta Praha (CZE) and MŠHK Žilina (SVK) in IIHF European Champions Cup 2007 (Alexander Ragulin Division). They will have only one problem there - Czech champion.

Taking quality of other teams in country into account - HIFK, Ilves, Jokerit, Kärpät... it will be very hard for them to defend title.

Czech republic

Sparta Praha is far best team in this quality league. They have great goalie - Dušan Salfický, experienced stars and talented young guns. In IIHF ECC will smash our champion and I am looking forward their match against HPK.

In home competition there is only 1 team that can make problems - HC Hamé Zlín. HC Liberec and Slavia Praha will fight for 4th place.

Slovakia

MŠHK Žilina is defending champion. No way they will win again. In my opinion HC Košice will be our new champion but there is still Slovan Bratislava whose president is also president of our ice-hockey federation and they have referees under control. Another team to mention is HKM Zvolen whose president and GM don't care about club.

My prediction:
    1st - HC Košice
    2nd - Slovan Bratislava
    3rd - Dukla Trenčín (they have far best juniors in Slovakia)
    4th - HKM Zvolen/ MŠK Poprad

Sweden

Their champion Färjestads BK will face HC Lugano (SWI) and AK Bars Kazan (RUS) in IIHF ECC 2007 (Ivan Hlinka Division). HC Lugano lost its stars (more in "Switzerland" part) so the best match will be between Swedish and Russian Champion.

MODO with Slovakian duo Karol Križan (G) and Róbert Döme will be very strong and I hope they will be new champions. Another teams to mention - Luleå (with Slovakians Ľuboš Bartečko and Jaroslav Obšut + Czech Martin Chabada - from Sparta Praha), HV 71 or Brynäs IF.

Russia

AK Bars Kazan, Dinamo Moscow, Metalurg Magnitogorsk, Lokomotiv Jaroslavl, Avangard Omsk... unpredictable league with rich clubs

Switzerland

Last year it was well deserved title for HC Lugano but now they lost 3 greatest stars - Ville Peltonen is back in NHL (Florida), Petteri Nummelin is also returning to NHL and Glen Metropolit signed to Thrashers.

Another good teams in Switzerland - HC Davos, SC Bern, ZSC Lions (with our legend Róbert Petrovický)
    Some people were against a female name as my nick. Strange, don't you think?

But no, I did not left only because of it. Don't worry, there is a brand new superhero who will save everyone. I just have mental issues and I am freaking disgusting.

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti,

great post but i'm not a ice hockey fan, i'm sure the north american posters will be interested in this.

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

eurohockey.net confirmed AK Bars Kazan (RUS) signed ex-Vancouver's goalie Mika Noronen who refused to sit on the end of the Canucks bench next season...

But no, I did not left only because of it. Don't worry, there is a brand new superhero who will save everyone. I just have mental issues and I am freaking disgusting.

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

thehockeynews.com:

MALKIN STAYING IN RUSSIA?
    by Adam Proteau

According to a report on his Russian team's website, highly-touted Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Evgeni Malkin will play in his homeland during the coming season.

The Metallurg Magnitogorsk website indicates Malkin -- drafted second overall by Pittsburgh in 2004 -- has signed a one-year contract, replacing the pact with Magnitogorsk that ran until 2008.

The 20-year-old center led the Russian Super League team last season with 21 goals and 47 points in 46 games.

The Russian Hockey Federation recently chose not to honor the International Ice Hockey Federation's new transfer agreement with the NHL, making it much more difficult for NHL teams to arrange the release of their Russian prospects.

Russia is still protecting their young guns (especially one of world's best centres)...

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

After 11 seasons (except 1 during lock-out) in North America Czech winger Vaclav Varada returns to Europe to Swiss team HC Davos.

League's champion HC Lugano signed Swede Rickard Wallin (Farjestads BK) and US player Landon Wilson (HC Davos) + some Swiss players

Fav. Player
    Internazionale

Quote Originally Posted by Michal
    After 11 seasons (except 1 during lock-out) in North America Czech winger Vaclav Varada returns to Europe to Swiss team HC Davos.
    Yeah, he was a great player indeed. He played in Ottawa for about two seasons and he was really useful. Good luck to him

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Russia's ice hockey federation appointed CSKA Moscow's Vyacheslav Bykov to coach the national team. For me it is not surprising because Bykov was great player and strong personality. I met him 2 times when his team played in Zvolen and his patience with young players surprised me. I bet Andrei Nikolishin will be new CSKA's coach...

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Swiss champion HC Lugano signed Swedish defenseman Petri Liimatainen

and want to sign another Swedish RD D i c k Tärnström. (EDIT - they have already signed him)

Russian superstar Yevgeni Malkin left his team during preparation in Finland without any word and Magnitogorsk is prepared to sue the NHL.

Slovakian Stanley Cup winner Martin Cibák transfered from Tampa Bay to Västra Frölunda Indians HC because TB did not give qualifying offers.

Pittsburgh's Tomáš Surový signed to Luleå HF.

Last edited by Michal; 17 Aug 06 at 08:19.

Greece

10 years of FIF
    Do you have any videos of European hockey? I used to watch NHL highlights on tv, but now they stopped broadcasting them! It'd be nice to see how good the level is here

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Hm... It is hard Yuko. I think Russian league is the best in Europe and lot of teams have very good websites (I bet there are also videogalleries) but all are in azbuka (with only basic info in English). Same problems with Swedish and Finnish official webs.

Swiss Lugano has great site (www.hclugano.ch) and I will post some video highlights during season if you are interested (Swiss league has its quality).

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Some interesting transfers:

Rem Murray (F) - Edmonton Oilers -> HIFK Helsinki
    Radoslav Suchý (D) - Columbus Blue Jackets -> ZSC Lions (2 Slovaks in Zurich - Suchý and my favourite Róbert Petrovický)
    Tim Stapleton (F) - Portland Pirates -> Jokerit Helsinki
    Sergei Krivokrasov (F) - CSKA Moskva -> Dynamo Moskva
    Santeri Heiskanen (D) - Pelicans Lahti -> Blues Espoo
    Adam Saffer - Czech talented winger - HC Chemopetrol Litvínov -> HIFK Helsinki

Euro Hockey Tour starts soon in Czech republic with Česká Pojišťovňa Cup. Can't wait for new season...

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Russia (an only team with active score!!!) wins 1st tournament of Euro Hockey Tour in Czech republic!!! (to be honest, no surprise for me)

Table (points) after Česká pojišťovňa Cup:

8 - Russia
    4 - Sweden
    4 - Finland
    2 - Czech rep

Jan Hrdina (F) - Columbus Blue Jackets -> HV 71
    Sergei Gusev (D) - Avangard Omsk SKA -> SKA St. Petersburg
    Pavel Rosa (F) - Timra IK -> Avangard Omsk
    Aleksandrs Jerofejevs (LAT) (D) - Roanoke Valley Vipers -> Ilves Tampere
    Mika Strömberg (D) - Djurgardens IF -> HPK Hämeenlinna
    Maksim Sushinsky (F) - From Dynamo Moskva -> SKA St. Petersburg
    Last edited by Michal; 03 Sep 06 at 20:41.

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

New season started in almost all important European leagues. Swiss defending champion HC Lugano (signed Jason Strudwick - ex-NYR) won its first game v Langnau 5:0 but next day they lost with Rapperswil 1:5. Kloten is first in league with 2 victories. Interesting video from last season - link

After 5 rounds in Czech republic Zlín is 1st (14p), Karlovy Vary 2nd (11p) and Pardubice with České Budějovice 3rd (10p).

After 2 rounds in Finland only Blues and Jokerit with 6 points.

Martins Cipulis (F) - HK Riga 2000 -> HC SKP Poprad
    Aleksandr Khavanov (D) - Toronto Maple Leafs -> HC Davos

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Our legend and one of the world's most talented players ever Žigmund Pálffy is rumored to return back to ice-hockey in Czech team Slavia Praha where he played during lock-out.

On 18 January 2006 Pálffy announced his retirement due to a lingering shoulder injury. Pálffy completed his career with 329 goals and 384 assists in 684 games in 12 NHL seasons.

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

Slovakia won Deutschland Cup 2nd time in its history!!!

and what is more, with 2 players from my HKm Zvolen

Russia won EHT tournament in Finland and is at the 1st place in total standings with 16 points - Sweden and Finland have 7, Czechs have 6. Bykov's red army is unstoppable.

SLOVENSKO DO TOHO!!!

Fav. Player
    Wonder if I can

OK OK OK, I know this is a dead thread but I had to write it... Žigmund Pálffy is back!!! He will start next season in his hometown Skalica and then he will reconsider offers from every top-European league.