I was just thinking about the upcoming season and the transfer market so far. I will say that Iam optomistic but at the same time we have many lingering questions.
1. Mancini. How will he adapt the squad to play in yet another new style. Can he create a group that can co-exist and play well together, given his limited experience as a coach and live with the pressure of coaching INTER.
2. Veron. No doubt was a great player during his time in Italy. 3 seasons in England has seen him fall to sub par levels as well as a serious back injury. Is he fully fit, will he regain the form and be the player he was prior to going to england?
3. Veron. If he does not come back to standard, what happens. We are relying on Veron to be the link between midfield and attack. If he fails who will fill the role. We have already determined players in our squad like Karagounis, Emre, VDM and Recoba are hit and miss. They cannot do the job of a fully fit Veron or someone like Totti/Zidane.
4. Burdisso. All say he is a great player, so lets give him the benefit of the doubt. But he is also a new player, not estabilished in Serie A. He may need time to adapt and get used to not only serie A but life in Italy in general. Do we want to rely on the odd pair of Cordoba/Cannavaro in the event we lose Matrix through suspension?
5. Cambiasso. Young and talented but also has not played much in recent years. Must note that he had a serious calf injury and even in todays press conference says he admits he has not touched a ball in while but hopes to be ready for the Champions League. If the injury re-occurs as is often the case, who will give a breather to C.Zanetti and others. We will be stuck again like last season over-playing these players in critical areas.
6. Vieri/Adriano. Can they co-exist?? They seem very similar in my opinion and last season did not show us any indication that they can play together. Infact we saw the best out of each of them when they played with other strike partners. What will Mancini do if this trend continues? Bench one or the other???
7. Van Der Meyde. I was a big fan while he was at Ajax and I for one really wanted him at Inter. However he has not lived up to expecations. I was thinking maybe it was just adapting to italy, but bottom line he had an awful Euro 2004 as well. I think I only saw him complete one cross and really never beat his man on the run which was/is his trademark.
Your comments on the above would be great to read.