Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Italy in Euro 2008

Italy in Euro 2008

Let's discuss all Italy matches on their road to Austria/Switzerland 2008.

Italy is in Group B together with France, Ukraine, Scotland, Georgia, Lithuania and Faroe Islands. Only top two teams will qualify from the group. There will be no play-off games.

Here are the upcoming fixtures:

Italy - Lithuania
    2 September 2006. Naples, Italy.

France - Italy
    6 September 2006. Paris, France.
    Only God Can Judge Me

I read that donadoni hasn’t called del piero and luca toni..Nesta,matrix.have anybody the list with italian players callep up for qualifikation

Nesta is injured and Materazzi is suspended. Don't sure if he will call-up Toni and Del Piero for this campaign.

Italy squad:
    Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Christian Abbiati (Torino Calcio), Marco Amelia (AS Livorno Calcio).

Defenders: Andrea Barzagli (US Città di Palermo), Fabio Cannavaro (Real Madrid CF), Dario Dainelli (ACF Fiorentina), Fabio Grosso (FC Internazionale Milano), Massimo Oddo (S.S. Lazio), Manuel Pasqual (ACF Fiorentina), Cristian Zaccardo (US Città di Palermo), Gianluca Zambrotta (FC Barcelona).

Midfielders: Massimo Ambrosini (AC Milan), Daniele De Rossi (AS Roma), Gennaro Gattuso (AC Milan), Marco Marchionni (Juventus), Simone Perrotta (AS Roma), Andrea Pirlo (AC Milan), Franco Semioli (AC Chievo Verona).

Strikers: Emiliano Bonazzoli (UC Sampdoria), Antonio Cassano (Real Madrid CF), David Di Michele (US Città di Palermo), Alberto Gilardino (AC Milan), Filippo Inzaghi (AC Milan), Tommaso Rocchi (S.S. Lazio).
    Only God Can Judge Me

Here is Italy logo with 4 stars. I expected they will make something new.

Only God Can Judge Me

Italy did a very poor game against Lithuania, to draw 1-1 at home in the first official game after the World Cup it must be tough for Donadoni. Lithuania scored first by Danilevicius but Italy got a quick equaliser by Inzaghi and the game was about it.

However nobody should give this much importance, the Italian Championship hasn't started yet, Italy has a new coach with new ideas, I think this was just a bump in the road of the World Champions.

Italy was very very poor against Lithuania..They were so bad,that inzaghi score....

Quote Originally Posted by Pi
    Italy did a very poor game against Lithuania, to draw 1-1 at home in the first official game after the World Cup it must be tough for Donadoni. Lithuania scored first by Danilevicius but Italy got a quick equaliser by Inzaghi and the game was about it.

However nobody should give this much importance, the Italian Championship hasn't started yet, Italy has a new coach with new ideas, I think this was just a bump in the road of the World Champions.
    There are no excuses for this draw. Nobody will give Italy extra points because Serie A didn't start.

In our group every point is very important especially home ones. We have France and Ukraine, Scotland is also good and Georgia can take points from the teams.
    Only God Can Judge Me

I agree that Italy doesn't have an easy group but in football everything is possible so I believe that Italy learned a valuable lesson and has to mover over.

This next game against France will (probably) be the most important game in the campaign, I mean, if France wins they take a 5 point advantage plus direct advantage over Italy. However if Italy wins they take the lead on France and they have the away win advantage so it's going to be a great match no doubt.

Of course if they draw it will be worse for Italy, however depending on the score it might not even be that dramatic.

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Ugh, I'm watching the France-Italy game and the Azzurri are getting absolutely demolished. Donadel's time as the Italian coach will be short indeed if they fail to qualify for 2008.

EDIT: 2-1. Gilardino header.

If Italy will lose against France then the chances for them to play in EURO 2008 will become minimal

I think after this game Donadoni will be fired.
    Only God Can Judge Me

Fav. Player
    Capitano e CN

Canada

66 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Hmm 3-1.... Italy has sadly been out-classed by a determined French squad. Donadoni (yes I'm now aware I confued him with Fiorentina player ) will now feel the heat from the Italian press.

Quote Originally Posted by B-RaD
    Hmm 3-1.... Italy has sadly been out-classed by a determined French squad. Donadoni (yes I'm now aware I confued him with Fiorentina player ) will now feel the heat from the Italian press.
    Not only heat frim the Italian press. Italy played 3 games as World Champions under Donadoni, our results:
    Italy 0-2 Croatia
    Italy 1-1 Lithuania
    France 3-1 Italy

3 games: 0 wins, 1 draw and 2 defeats. Scored 2 conceeded 6

Tomorrow he will be fired and now this is 100%
    Only God Can Judge Me

France 3 - 1 Italy

Govou 2, 55 (F), Henry 17 (F), Gilardino 19 (I)

Roberto Donadoni's Italy career is in trouble after France took a 3-1 World Cup revenge, leaving their Euro 2008 hopes in dire straits.
    Roberto Donadoni was already under pressure after the 1-1 draw with Lithuania and made changes to that line-up, introducing Franco Semioli, Gianluca Zambrotta and Alberto Gilardino for the 4-4-1-1 system that Italy employed in their World Cup win. Massimo Oddo, Daniele De Rossi and Pippo Inzaghi made way.

France were still smarting from that Final defeat on penalties and, although Zinedine Zidane has retired and Marco Materazzi was suspended, this was all set to be a tense encounter.

Before kick-off there was a minute's silence to mark the death of Inter President and legendary Azzurri captain Giacinto Facchetti. The Italian team also wore black armbands.

Les Bleus were still livid after that Berlin loss and it showed, as they came sprinting out of the blocks and within the opening 90 seconds Sidney Govou had volleyed a William Gallas cross low into the far corner past Gigi Buffon. As against Lithuania, the defending left something to be desired, although replays showed that the Arsenal defender was clearly offside when he got the ball.

The Azzurri, playing in white, fought back with Zambrotta's shot flashing over the bar, but Franck Ribery's cross just missed Inter's Patrick Vieira in the centre. Andrea Barzagli was at full stretch to toe-poke Thierry Henry's cut-back out of harm's way inside the penalty area, but France were pouring forward in droves.

On 17 minutes Buffon had his palms stung by a Florent Malouda rocket only for Henry to latch on to the loose ball and sidefoot it in from a tight angle with the aid of a Fabio Cannavaro deflection.

However, Italy pulled a goal back moments later. As in the World Cup Final, they were superior on set-pieces and Gilardino was allowed a free header on Andrea Pirlo's free kick to glance it past Gregory Coupet.

Cannavaro was muscled off a header with only Coupet to beat, but Buffon was at full stretch to tip Willy Sagnol's strike round the base of the near post.

Italy couldn't have gone closer to 2-2 on 27 minutes. Grosso hooked down a long pass and skipped past Sagnol, Semioli slid on to his cross and Coupet somehow managed to prod the ball off the line before it could go over completely. There were also penalty appeals, as Eric Abidal tussled with Semioli as he tried to get back on to the loose ball.

Cannavaro was booked for a challenge on Ribery and the Italian defence struggled to clear its lines, particularly with some weak Barzagli clearances, although the Palermo defender did well to block a Malouda shot. Donadoni also called Cassano several times to ensure he came back to help the midfield.

Henry was yellow carded for holding back Semioli as he sprinted down the right flank, while Simone Perrotta was foolishly booked for kicking the ball after the whistle had blown, so he'll be suspended against the Ukraine.

Cassano barely made an impact in the first half, but just before the break he shimmied clear of two markers and threaded through for Gilardino, who was just offside.

Cannavaro intelligently cut off Govou to prevent him running on to Henry's pass, while Barzagli cleared a looping Ribery free kick. From the resulting corner, Vieri nodded over the bar.

The Azzurri were still struggling to create chances, so Donadoni replaced Semioli with David Di Michele of Palermo, switching to a trident attack. However, this left Italy even more over-run in midfield and within seconds France scored their third goal. Sagnol's assist was glanced into the far corner off Govou's head for his second of the game, but there were few celebrations as he clashed heads with Cannavaro.

The captain came off worse and was stretchered off in a dazed condition, but he was able to continue after treatment. Several minutes later he still seemed dizzy and out of sorts.

Di Michele set Gilardino running and Coupet ran out to clear, but although the goalkeeper did not touch the ball and did catch him accidentally with his legs, the Milan striker was booked for simulation.

Ribery was completely clear on the left flank and the ball eventually reached Govou, who missed his hat-trick by a matter of inches with an angled drive. Henry threaded though for Ribery and Buffon timed his move perfectly to pluck the ball off his foot.

Gattuso acting as last man managed to head back to his goalkeeper despite being out-sprinted by Ribery on the counter-attack, while the Marseille man again drilled off target from an Henry assist.

Inzaghi, who scored against Lithuania, replaced a totally anonymous Cassano for the final 20 minutes and Sylvain Wiltord came on for Govou. Cannavaro recovered from his earlier injury with a powerful header on Pirlo's free kick, forcing Coupet into a great save.

Gilardino's long-range strike dipped well wide and De Rossi was the final substitution after Gila picked up a knock in a clash with Vieira. Di Michele's ambitious lob didn't catch out Coupet in stoppages and Grosso was booked.

Now October's ties in Rome against the Ukraine and away to Georgia become decisive if Donadoni is to have any hope of reaching Euro 2008.

France: Coupet; Sagnol, Thuram, Gallas, Abidal; Ribery (Saha 88), Vieira, Makelele, Malouda; Govou (Wiltord 75), Henry

Italy: Buffon; Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Grosso; Semioli (Di Michele 54), Gattuso, Pirlo, Perrotta; Cassano (Inzaghi 73), Gilardino (De Rossi 87)

Ref: Fandel (Ger)

------------
    3-1? THAT IS TOOOOOOO BAD!
    I'm crushed, Black and Blue, but you know I'd do it all again for you.

Fav. Player
    Oba

24 10 years of FIF
    I knew wer e gona loose this one but i would stick with donadoni would be stupid to fire him after just 2 competive matches.

Ou re defence was disastrous we realy miss nesta and Matrix barzagli is a disaster and also crappavaro has not played on his leve. And also grosso and zambro were not playing too good defensively .

But i think the main prob was the middfield we did not win one single ball there. Somhow also gattuso was not playing his game defensivley.

Only positive thing is that when we finally had the ball and played forward we did not look that bad.
    Which matches do you feel more, those with Juventus or Milan?
    "With Milan, without doubt. And I don't like the Rossoneri fans either because they have a way of behaving, particularly when they win, that I don't appreciate."
    Javier Zanetti

Fav. Player
    4 & 10

Bosnia Herzegovina

35 10 years of FIF
    Impressive, France will be first in that group and Italy will fight with Ukraine for second, that will be great to follow.
    First thing that Donadoni must do is get Totti back, thats totally diferent team without him, anyway I hope that Italy won't get there, I don't want to watch Bufon,Nesta,Canavro,Camoranesi,Pirlo,Gatuso,Gilard ino,INZAGHI in the same team, that Juve and Milan scums can hide in their wholes.
    ... “Every time I see Walter Mazzarri’s Press conferences I have this doubt: Is he really such an idiot or does he just think we all are?”

Parma team manager Sandro Melli

Fav. Player
    Fabio Grosso

Terrible result for italy tonight.
    1 point from a possible 6 so far.

The home game against Ukraine in October is now a must win game. Donadoni has been very complacent up till now - but after this evening even he knows Italy must win.

Scary stuff - Imagine winning the world cup then failing to qualify for the european championships!!

Though its still early it could happen

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    The decisive facto separating the 2 teams were simply their hunger. Italy is still paying for the WC hangover and was never up for it. Both of our players on the pitch had a good game. Especially Viera as he dictates the middle of the pitch with great authority. If only he can keep up his brilliant form which started prior to the WC and is still ongoing.
    Noi non siamo gobbi ba$tardi

"In un mondo di puttane e oportunisti noi avevamo scelto la migliore; Addio Traditore!"

R.I.P Cipe

Italy is having big problems to adapt to Donadoni's style, and this may cost them more than first place. It is now essential to win every game in the first round only to breathe easier.

I agree that the game against Ukraine is of the most importance and if I was Italian I would be worried, however I know that this qualifying will be long but nowadays you can't make as many mistakes as you could, so what I mean is Watch out Italy!

Fav. Player
    4 & 10

Bosnia Herzegovina

35 10 years of FIF
    Quote Originally Posted by Inter Nerazzurri
    Scary stuff - Imagine winning the world cup then failing to qualify for the european championships!!

Though its still early it could happen
    Grece like Europian champion didn't quallifie for WC in Germany,ow World champion Italy won't qualifie for Euro 2008, thats starting to be tradition.
    ... “Every time I see Walter Mazzarri’s Press conferences I have this doubt: Is he really such an idiot or does he just think we all are?”

Parma team manager Sandro Melli

I don't need to say how important will this game is for Italy, they need a win, they play at home and they have a better team so there's no reason why they shouldn't get it. If Italy doesn't win and if France wins against Scotland I believe that Italy will have many difficulties to get the first place.

Ukraine will come to Italy with one thought in their mind: get at least 1 point. I think that Italy will have to fight hard to get the first goal, but if they do I don't believe that Ukraine has the means to react.