Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Giuseppe "Lo Zio" Bergomi

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

FIF Special Ones 10 years of FIF

Giuseppe "Lo Zio" Bergomi

Shame on all of us for not having a Lo Zio thread!!

Giuseppe Bergomi (born December 22, 1963 in Milan) is a former Italian International, who spent his entire career at Internazionale and was a key member of the Italian national team in the 1980s and 1990s. His nicknamed is "Lo zio" ("the uncle"), earned because of the moustaches he had when very young, in the beginnings of his career. He thus appeared to be more mature in age than he was, hence the nickname.

Bergomi made his Inter debut in the 1980/81 season, at the age of 17. The 19 seasons he spent with Inter were often spent in the shadow of A.C. Milan, as he only won the scudetto once: in 1989 (he did win the UEFA Cup on three occasions). With the national team, Bergomi won the 1982 FIFA World Cup, and also played in the 1986 and 1990 campaigns, as well as Euro 88. After being sent off in a match against Norway in a qualifier for Euro 92, Bergomi spent years without getting a callback to the Azzurri, but then received a surprise recall for the 1998 FIFA World Cup. He retired in 1999 at the age of 36, after making 81 appearances for his country. He currently works as football pundit for Italian satellite television Sky Italia, and commented the Italy matches in the 2006 FIFA World Cup together with Fabio Caressa.

Bergomi was named by Pelé as one of the top 125 greatest living footballers in March 2004.

Last edited by Frisko; 02 Sep 06 at 12:41.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    22/05/10 CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

On today's gazzetta:

What do you expect from the next Serie A tournament?

The title race won't be as crowded as usual, to be honest the scudetto this year cannot end up anywhere but in the city of Milan. But there are several good teams, the ones that'll start well will be playing attacking football.

If the scudetto is coming to Milano in your view, you don't believe in Roma?

I wouldn't say that. Roma is a good team, and also a team that's nice to watch, which doesn't always happen. Spalletti managed to create a strenght from a weakness, like only great coaches can do: playing without strikers, he made unpredictability the main strenght of the team, like we saw in the first half of the Supercoppa game.

I think they will do great against big teams, in the Champions League as well, because they can do great when the opponents attack them, playing on the counter. But to win the scudetto you need to win big at home, against small teams playing all in defence, and for that, you need strikers.

You talked about Supercoppa, Aquilani in the first half was advancing from central positions and scored two goals, who should have stopped him?

Inter was lacking the quick defender to come out and stop him, Cordoba. This means that one between Vieira and Cambiasso should have stopped Aquilani. With Materazzi and Samuel, you need a defensive midfielder to sit in front of the defence.

Is Inter the team to beat?

Yes, finally we have got players that can make a difference in each role: Zlatan, Vieira, Grosso...

Vieira was inconsistent at Juventus last year, what do you expect from him?

I've asked Capello many times why he was playing him when he was off form, and he always replied that he needed his leadership. He's a leader, and for this I rate him higher than Veron, whose play is prettier, but not as effective.

What does Mancini need to do to win it?

He needs to choose 14 men and stick to them, you win the scudetto by finding the right module and players and sticking to them. Inter are physically so strong, and the great feet of Zlatan and Figo should make up for the absence of Veron's.

Adriano or Crespo?

Adriano now, but Crespo straight away if Adriano can't get over his bad form. I'm happy that the Adriano-Ronaldo swap didn't happen, I don't think Ronnie has a lot left to give. But Adriano needs to realise that the time for waiting his over, he needs to change his attitude off the pitch, no more being late, no more moaning. Mancini, in return, should give him more trust.

Milan's transfers campaign let many people disappointed, you agree?

I was expecting a supporting striker, I don't know Oliveira much but I believe he's a first striker like Gilardino and Inzaghi. I don't understand why they didn't sign Iaquinta, who proved at the World Cup how versatile and useful he can be, even playing on the wing.

Also in defence, the old age of the fullbacks means that it would have been better to sign Oddo than Bonera.
    Last edited by Frisko; 02 Sep 06 at 12:50.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    29/08/09 Milan 0 Inter 4 Thiago Motta, Milito (p), Maicon, Stankovic - Dominated and outclassed
    Materazzi World Champion

Thats Great Frisko..

He was and still 1 of my best 10 players in the world..

Req: can u give me the link of the page in the Gazzetta.it for the interview?
    Chi non salta Rossonero eh eh
    Chi non salta Bianconero eh eh

Haiti

10 years of FIF
    Thanks for the translation form the Gazzetta article, it's really good, Frisko. Am I the only one who thinks Bergomi would make for a Jose Mourinho type of coach in terms of no-non sense policies?

Quote Originally Posted by Frisko

He needs to choose 14 men and stick to them, you win the scudetto by finding the right module and players and sticking to them. Inter are physically so strong, and the great feet of Zlatan and Figo should make up for the absence of Veron's.

Adriano or Crespo?

Adriano now, but Crespo straight away if Adriano can't get over his bad form. I'm happy that the Adriano-Ronaldo swap didn't happen, I don't think Ronnie has a lot left to give. But Adriano needs to realise that the time for waiting his over, he needs to change his attitude off the pitch, no more being late, no more moaning. Mancini, in return, should give him more trust.
    I specifically liked what he said in response to those two questions. Couldn't say it better myself, Pepe!
    Nulla impossibile per questa Inter

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Gaëtan
    Thanks for the translation form the Gazzetta article, it's really good, Frisko. Am I the only one who thinks Bergomi would make for a Jose Mourinho type of coach in terms of no-non sense policies?

I specifically liked what he said in response to those two questions. Couldn't say it better myself, Pepe!
    I liked the answer about Adriano and Crespo. 14 men? I don't know if you can't do that nowadays, surely you could in Bergomi times, but now...

He'd make a great coach though, I bet you're right.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Norway

I wrote a small article on him in a school project last year. Bergomi was great.

I'm with those believing Zio would make a great coach. He's a television football expert now, isn't he?
    "It will be born here, at the "Orologio (Watch)" restaurant, meeting place of artists and it will be always a team of great talent. On this splendid night it's colours will be given: The black and the blue with a golden background of the stars. It will be called Internazionale, because we are brothers of the world."

Mourinho for Inter coach 2008/2009! --> Mourinho = Inter coach 2008/2009!

Fav. Player
    El Principe

Italy

Quote Originally Posted by Forza ragazzi
    I wrote a small article on him in a school project last year. Bergomi was great.

I'm with those believing Zio would make a great coach. He's a television football expert now, isn't he?
    Yes, he is, he's a co-commentator for mediaset, and his insight is always good when following a game.
    22/04/07 15th
    18/05/08 16th
    16/05/09 17th
    16/05/10 18th
    18/12/10 WORLD CHAMPIONS
    Materazzi World Champion

Fav. Player
    Marco Materazzi

Thanks for posting the article.

Zio is a true Inter legend, just thinking about him brings back so many good memories. I was so happy when he got a call up to WC98.
    "Its one thing getting stick in places like Turin, Milan and Rome where there is a big rivalry (with Inter) but when you get called a 'son of a...' all over the country then I've obviously gone wrong somewhere" - Marco Materazzi

Shame that there are just 7 replies for this great man. I only managed to get his last piece of perfomence.
    MERDA ROSSONERA-TI ODIO

RISPETTO PER TUTTI...PIETA PER NESSUNO

PER L'HONORE DELLA MAGLIA SIAMO PRONTI ALLA BATTAGLIA

Vinci ad Atene, godi in Europa...torni in Italia e ti scopri un idiota -36

Fav. Player
    J.Zanetti

Nepal

21 10 years of FIF
    Bergomi is spot on this:

He "needs to choose 14 men and stick to them", you win the scudetto by finding the right module and players and sticking to them.

----------------

The point I liked there is when he said that we should stick with the 14/15men. We obviously can't rotate all the players all the time. We have already got the Scudetto this time and I would love Inter to pay attention for next season. We don't need a Chelsea team next season but 14/15 wonderful players.

Check this out, I have posted my version in a bit detail !!

http://www.forza-inter.com/forums/sh...631#post251631

Fav. Player
    Walter Samuel

Brazil

71 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    I am shocked we didn't have a thread for this Inter symbol. Someone should be burned!!
    PUT CRESPO IN LGI

BERGOMI great Inters player, one of the legend!
    RECOBA & CORDOBA - OUR CURSE!

Romania

Buon Compleanno Mr. Bergomi!

Ooooooh, forza Inter, non mollare, vincerai! / E quando dalla Curva questo coro sentirai /
    Internazionale non ti lasceremo mai!

Fav. Player
    bobooooo (until

happy birthday to our legend. really one of the greatest ever to wear black and blue shirt
    Impazzisco per te, questo e canto d'amor
    che mi viene dal cuor, FORZA INTER ALEEE.

Fav. Player
    Il Capitano

Pakistan

Happy B-day Champion.
    Spoiler: text 

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Best wishes Bergomi
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    Javier Zanetti

Indonesia

well .... compare to someone (you know who) in *neighbor team* (and it's not maldin either) .... he was the great Italian and Inter Defender and much better >)

Fav. Player
    Zanetti

South Africa

Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Had the pleasure of meeting mister Bergomi today. He was the special guest at the local inter club celebrating our triple win. A Fantastic guy. He is out here doing world cup work for sky italia.
    Forza Inter per sempre!!!!
    Jose responding after the derby:"We could only have lost by having six people on the park, as even with seven, we would have won. "
    New Domain name
    www.forzainterforums.com

Fav. Player
    NOT Il Capitano

Falkland Islands

0 Forum Supporter 10 years of FIF
    Stefan you lucky man..
    IO SONO INTERISTA

Fav. Player
    Wesley Sneijder

Colombia

Nice to know you met him dude!
    Last edited by Scorpion; 27 Jun 10 at 23:51.
    Campioni di Italia 2009-2010!
    Campioni di Coppa Italia 2009-2010!
    Campioni di Europa 2009-2010!

Thank you for these wonderful years of victory and joy - Jose "The Special One" Mourinho, you will always have a special place in our hearts.